Summer '11 Show 1: 5/29/11 - West Sacramento, CA

Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

RARANAPED wrote:no updates?
It's 7:30PM Pacific, the boys won't be on until 9-ish.
RARANAPED
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by RARANAPED »

Anomaly wrote:
RARANAPED wrote:no updates?
It's 7:30PM Pacific, the boys won't be on until 9-ish.
ya im in the west, i just thought the show was at 7:30. i gotta find me some patience.
stlkiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by stlkiss »

They should be on about now.
RARANAPED
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by RARANAPED »

stlkiss wrote:They should be on about now.
come on, it's kiss, we both know that 9:00 means about 9:45 :lol:
Shane_Penney
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Shane_Penney »

From twitter....

Modern Day Delilah , Cold Gin , Let Me Go Rock n Roll, Firehouse, Say Yeah, Deuce, Calling Dr Love, Shock Me, solos, I'm An Animal, 100,000 Years, I Love it Loud.....

Stage looks similar to Farewell, but no separate Paul stage tonight.
Last edited by Shane_Penney on Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

Hmm...no Crazy Nights?
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

Anomaly wrote:Hmm...no Crazy Nights?
It was a crowd favourite in Toronto last year, but I've never liked the song. I hope they've replaced it. Either that, or the Twitter guy made a small mistake.

http://twitter.com/#!/77flash
StarChildBlade
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by StarChildBlade »

Anomaly wrote:Hmm...no Crazy Nights?
Hope willing....lol
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

Shock Me, solos, I'm An Animal
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

I'm not happy with "Shock Me" sticking around. It's been overplayed and this lineup doesn't need to do it.
Anomaly
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Anomaly »

Shane_Penney wrote:I'm not happy with "Shock Me" sticking around. It's been overplayed and this lineup doesn't need to do it.
Stage that small I'm surprised they're doing the solos. I doubt that Gene's going to do the blood routine tonight.
RARANAPED
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by RARANAPED »

100,000 years, i love it loud
Deleted User 2073

Post by Deleted User 2073 »

KISS rocked Sacto
Great show, killer set!
Good crowd, good vibes, rock and toll party!!!
More details mañana
more tomorrow Nighty nite
:wink:
Deleted User 2073

I'm An Animal fucking rocked!!!!
:cheers: :gene: k: :cheers: :gene:
Foxtrot
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by Foxtrot »

Worst fucking show ever. Non existent audience, uninspired performance, shitty setlist.
G6O6A6T
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by G6O6A6T »

Disappointment.! First of all, I had '1st' row. Well, first row tonight meant bout 50 yards back behind a bunch of charity tables. Most of which could care less about KISS. There was no blood, no flying from Gene or Paul., No Confetti, The fireworks were weak... The same old tired yet shortened set list. No curtain on the intro.. For those excited from the George Lopez show., there has been no miracle Paul voice recovery... He still sounds the same as on the last tour.. It was the weakest show I have been to. A complete paint by numbers... No soul at all.. I have some video that I will post tomorrow.

Nick, Sophie, and Shannon and whoever else were in front of me the whole night... Nick seemed to pout and look at the floor most of the night, he must have been on his period.
jconnors

Post by jconnors »

Wow from judging the last 2 posts, a terrible performance. :(
aceshigh
Banned

Post by aceshigh »

G6O6A6T wrote:Disappointment.! First of all, I had '1st' row. Well, first row tonight meant bout 50 yards back behind a bunch of charity tables. Most of which could care less about KISS. There was no blood, no flying from Gene or Paul., No Confetti, The fireworks were weak... The same old tired yet shortened set list. No curtain on the intro.. For those excited from the George Lopez show., there has been no miracle Paul voice recovery... He still sounds the same as on the last tour.. It was the weakest show I have been to. A complete paint by numbers... No soul at all.. I have some video that I will post tomorrow.

Nick, Sophie, and Shannon and whoever else were in front of me the whole night... Nick seemed to pout and look at the floor most of the night, he must have been on his period.
This does not sound promising at all. I was really hoping Paul was getting better.
Deleted User 4429

Post by Deleted User 4429 »

Admin wrote:
mainline72 wrote:It rained today in Sacramento, I can tell you that.
8)
Same here in SF. Total pisser. Hope tomorrow is better for the drive.
We are having a crazy thunder storm over here.

Two power outages in a row!
Deleted User 4429

Post by Deleted User 4429 »

Haha! Nick pouting eh?

On one hand it makes him look like a little shit.

On the other hand he has been to SO MANY KISS SHOWS!

I guess i'm just jealous. :lol:

I could watch every show!
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

"Uninspired" is one word. I paid $125 for *THAT*? Ever get the feeling you've been swindled? Maybe I should have gone for the 1,000 VIP dinner table seats which at least came with a KISS inspired dessert (based on a Hershey's "KISS," how original)? That "dead" area in front of the stage was more than a bit strange. The lack of wild animals really must have sucked the energy out of the atmosphere giving the band nothing to feed off either. But blame the organizers, not the band. Shows like this make me crave a proper venue tour...
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

Admin wrote:"Uninspired" is one word. I paid $125 for *THAT*? Ever get the feeling you've been swindled? Maybe I should have gone for the 1,000 VIP dinner table seats which at least came with a KISS inspired dessert (based on a Hershey's "KISS," how original)? That "dead" area in front of the stage was more than a bit strange. The lack of wild animals really must have sucked the energy out of the atmosphere giving the band nothing to feed off either. But blame the organizers, not the band. Shows like this make me crave a proper venue tour...
Basher. Hater. Ex-fan. Enemy of KISS.

:twisted:
Deleted User 2073

Should have gone for the cheap seats...I had the $40 seats.
Way better, more rock & roll!
Rock on !

:wink:
metalfuel

Post by metalfuel »

RisingForce wrote:
Admin wrote:"Uninspired" is one word. I paid $125 for *THAT*? Ever get the feeling you've been swindled? Maybe I should have gone for the 1,000 VIP dinner table seats which at least came with a KISS inspired dessert (based on a Hershey's "KISS," how original)? That "dead" area in front of the stage was more than a bit strange. The lack of wild animals really must have sucked the energy out of the atmosphere giving the band nothing to feed off either. But blame the organizers, not the band. Shows like this make me crave a proper venue tour...

YOU'RE RIGHT KICK THIS TROLL OF THE BOARD, NOW!!!!

:D
filmito
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by filmito »

metalfuel wrote:
RisingForce wrote:

YOU'RE RIGHT KICK THIS TROLL OF THE BOARD, NOW!!!!

:D
If Vinnie's band was able to get rid of him I guess everything is possible.
Hahahaha.

Please don't ban me. :oops:
Flash77
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Flash77 »

I'll throw my 3 cents in...

Upon getting to my seats, the first thing I noticed was there was no stage (and flying rig) for Paul to go out to. Also, it was quite obvious from the stage lighting rig that Gene would not be flying either. Disappointing for sure considering this was my 5 year old daughters first rock concert. I wanted her to really experiencing the full Kiss. But given that they werent on tour I figured the staging would be thrown together for a show like this.

The tables in the front area were odd but I guess since it was tied in with the whole charity thing I guess thats ok. They had zero energy up there however.

The band was the sloppiest I have ever seen them. Some observations:

1. Paul's voice. Yeah I was a bit optimistic after his appearance on Lopez but I get the feeling this is just how its going to be from now on. Even my wife made a comment about his voice sounding "shot"

2. Tommy BUTCHERED the solo to "Shock Me". The opening notes are about to start and he looked lost as to where to be on the fret of his guitar. Recovered for a bit and then got lost again.

3. Paul forgot the harmony guitar notes in DRC!!!!! How many times have you played this song Paul?!?!?!?! Once its his turn to join Tommy, he hits a sour notes to start and decides to not play at all. Finally joins in by playing the rhythm notes. Couldnt believe it.

4. The band almost had a trainwreck in LMG, RNR towards the end of the main guitar solo but managed to recover. Paul was looking at everyone in the band trying to get them on the same page.

5. Gene was actually really good other than singing the first verse as the last verse in I Love It Loud. But would we expect anything else from him after all these years? :lol:

In all I had a great time. Being able to experience a Kiss show with my daughter (and my wife's first Kiss show) is something I will cherish. My daughter was singing along to the songs she knew and clapping her hands. Unfortunately by the time they got to the encores she was just about asleep in my lap. And my pregnant wife was really uncomfortable by then with the guy smoking behind us and my (in utero) son going crazy inside her. So we left after Detroit Rock City.
Flash77
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Flash77 »

One more thing, I really enjoyed getting to see the Sonic Boom songs in concert. I REALLY wanted to see them do Crazy Crazy Nights but no such luck. :(
Austin Allison

Post by Austin Allison »

Tommy screwed up LMGRNR!!!
Deleted User 2073

Wow
Guess I'm the odd man out here.
I had a blast last night and loved the show...
A few Bum notes and flubbed lyrics aside...
Ok, a slightly scaled down show...
Still- it rocked!!!!
I love Kiss. Is that ok to say that anymore?
Or are we all armchair critics?

8)
gshaller
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by gshaller »

Great night! Plenty of weird and wonky elements - not least of all the giant dinner seating area in front of the stage - but what's not being mentioned is the cohesion and plain old FUN they seemed to be having on stage. Paul in particular looked like he was getting a kick out of the strange vibe of the event, but across the board the whole band appeared in good spirits.

The audience was packed, and responded with marked enthusiasm to the stuff we all might be ho-hum about, as spoiled and somewhat jaded KISS fans. But I got off on others getting off on KISS because it was a pure thing; an audience like this has no prejudice and simply appreciated what the band offered.

I don't think Paul sounded different on Lopez and I don't think he sounded different last night. What I heard was more conservative singing and WAY less shrieking between songs. That kicked ass! Surprised no one brought it up yet... they didn't do much talking on stage, and instead just ripped into many of the songs.

"Animal" was pure balls! Stellar and uptempo version and I'm glad they played it, as I missed it last year. A few flubs from Tommy and Paul with quick recoveries... and Paul was smiles for miles for most of the evening.

Glad they talked about the new album. Always cool to hear about that!

Most of all, for me, I was glad to share this one with friends and family. My wife brought her older sister, who brought her co-worker. A cool comment from my sister-in-law was that she expected less real music and figured she'd be hearing canned performances; she was pleasantly surprised by 4 guys who - by her description - are really good musicians. At age 50 she found herself knowing more songs than she realized she knew, and having a cool nostalgia trip, and isn't that the point anyhow? Her co-worker, a retired law enforcer, was standing and applauding almost reverently after Eric took his solo; turns out her brother was a drummer who'd killed himself many years ago.

Overall a fun night at a nice venue with cool people. The employees were considerate as were the patrons, and KISS wereunabashedly KISS, albeit slightly scaled back in presentation. This band still moves people and inspires me. What more is there?

As an aside, Shannon Tweed is now aware of something called PodKISSt...
Working_Man
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Working_Man »

Paul sounds good in the clip of "Love Gun", also nice to see the logo back on the top of the stage. :)
Lands End Drums

Post by Lands End Drums »

Don't feel bad for missing this one and seeing Prince last night. Lame shortened Kiss show for $125 or 3 1/2 hours of Prince greatness for $25, humn...
Casablanca
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Casablanca »

RisingForce wrote:

To be fair, Admin offered context, which a lot of the current criticism of the band lacks
Admin wrote: But blame the organizers, not the band. Shows like this make me crave a proper venue tour...
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

Lands End Drums wrote:Don't feel bad for missing this one and seeing Prince last night. Lame shortened Kiss show for $125 or 3 1/2 hours of Prince greatness for $25, humn...
My seats for KISS were $40 and kicked ass. 8)
StarChildBlade
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by StarChildBlade »

Sounds like a fun show... I used to live in Sacto and would've gone had I still lived there. Rock and Roll!
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

gshaller wrote:
Lands End Drums wrote:Don't feel bad for missing this one and seeing Prince last night. Lame shortened Kiss show for $125 or 3 1/2 hours of Prince greatness for $25, humn...
Yes ,but I would understand how someone that bought "up close" floor seats would be disappointed at how this event is set up with all the charity tables up front between the band and the audience.But this event is that way every year,so why would it have been different this year?
GeneDEUCE
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by GeneDEUCE »

I had a really good time last night!!!

sucks for the people that got front row seats just to find out VIP tables in the front!!!!!

Anyway had a good time along with the wife & old friends and I just can't wait for the new album & tour
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

kissthat wrote:
gshaller wrote:
Yes ,but I would understand how someone that bought "up close" floor seats would be disappointed at how this event is set up with all the charity tables up front between the band and the audience.But this event is that way every year,so why would it have been different this year?
That's fair. Good point.
Tymaster
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Tymaster »

No "Crazy, Crazy Nights," "Lick It Up," or "God Gave Rock n Roll To You." A generic stage, reminiscent of when the band had no money and would ship parts of the Animalize stage to one continent while shipping part of the HITS stage to another. Only, KISS have plenty of money now, heaven forbid Gene and Paul spend it on the show. Paul and Gene aren't flying. These fly in dates should be called mail in dates. I just changed my mind about going to the Springfield show. Damn shame, because KISS were on fire last summer.
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

Maybe it's me, but I find myself enjoying what was there more than lamenting what wasn't. I don't see how they could have done a bigger show or longer set or more effects; this wasn't a KISS-controlled event, per se. It WAS for charity, though, and that's really nice.

I dunno. I guess I still get solid thrills from hearing and watching KISS play almost half of their "ALIVE!" record in concert!
RARANAPED
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by RARANAPED »

Tymaster wrote:No "Crazy, Crazy Nights," "Lick It Up," or "God Gave Rock n Roll To You." A generic stage, reminiscent of when the band had no money and would ship parts of the Animalize stage to one continent while shipping part of the HITS stage to another. Only, KISS have plenty of money now, heaven forbid Gene and Paul spend it on the show. Paul and Gene aren't flying. These fly in dates should be called mail in dates. I just changed my mind about going to the Springfield show. Damn shame, because KISS were on fire last summer.
i think that they probably just leased the parts of their sonic boom stage, and the lease ran out. i think they will have a new stage ready for their Sonic Boom Follow-up tour in the new year.
p.s. this, however is simply what i think MAY be happening. i have no insider info.
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

I don't expect significantly new staging next year. KISS have gone with very homogenous stages since roughly 1996 or thereabouts.
Foxtrot
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by Foxtrot »

Its not even about the stage. I paid for floor seats thinking ill be right up close towards home plate. Little did i know i paid that much to be stuck in the outfield. So, okay fine for kiss ill deal with and have a great time regardless. But the crowd was absolutely fucking DEAD. I was literally the only person shouting out loud. You could hear a mouse fart almost a mile each way around. I would have been better off paying for the $40 tickets with the true fans. It got soo annoying hearing paul BEG for people to make noise or clap hands. At this point Kiss is just collecting a pay check. I know im probably sounding like a broken record but itwas just such a huge letdown.
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

gshaller wrote:I dunno. I guess I still get solid thrills from hearing and watching KISS play almost half of their "ALIVE!" record in concert!
And that's the most important thing. KISS played last night. Was it perfect? No. Was it a KISS show, no. It was a charity event. Did anyone else get stuck in the 3 hour backup on the GG bridge? That fucking sucked and brought the whole tone of the day down more than a bunch of VIPs at tables...
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

RARANAPED wrote:
Tymaster wrote:No "Crazy, Crazy Nights," "Lick It Up," or "God Gave Rock n Roll To You." A generic stage, reminiscent of when the band had no money and would ship parts of the Animalize stage to one continent while shipping part of the HITS stage to another. Only, KISS have plenty of money now, heaven forbid Gene and Paul spend it on the show. Paul and Gene aren't flying. These fly in dates should be called mail in dates. I just changed my mind about going to the Springfield show. Damn shame, because KISS were on fire last summer.
i think that they probably just leased the parts of their sonic boom stage, and the lease ran out. i think they will have a new stage ready for their Sonic Boom Follow-up tour in the new year.
p.s. this, however is simply what i think MAY be happening. i have no insider info.
There will be a new stage show for the new album tour. So, yeah, I'm just gonna wait for that. I was just hopeful that KISS would be a little more adventurous on these dates. KISS could learn a thing or two from Cheap Trick.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

gshaller wrote:Maybe it's me, but I find myself enjoying what was there more than lamenting what wasn't. I don't see how they could have done a bigger show or longer set or more effects; this wasn't a KISS-controlled event, per se. It WAS for charity, though, and that's really nice.

I dunno. I guess I still get solid thrills from hearing and watching KISS play almost half of their "ALIVE!" record in concert!
That's true, and if KISS were in my backyard this summer, I'd go. I'm just not going to go out of my way for a fairly generic KISS show. I was at the Indy 500 yesterday, so I was having fun!
vinnyrue
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by vinnyrue »

RisingForce wrote:

:D :D :D :D :D
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

gshaller wrote:I don't expect significantly new staging next year. KISS have gone with very homogenous stages since roughly 1996 or thereabouts.
Yes, but with a little tweak here or there, things can be significantly changed and you appear to have a complete new stage. Look at Iron Maiden. They have dragging the same skeleton around since the 1990's, but every tour Ron Smallwood creates a new theme. And it works!
Spirit
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Spirit »

Do I have to be the one who starts the thread about Thayer clearly not rehearsing enough and butchering the solo in Shock me?