HSOE Show 22: 9/3/10 - Chicago, IL

gappvembe
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by gappvembe »

KISS Review time again.
I probably say this every time, but I am leaning towards this being my favorite show. How the hell can't it be. I was 5 rows back on Gene's side. The place seemed packed. We all know the set so I won't get into the details of every song. It was the little things that I noticed that were great.

Gene I think had a problem with the spotlight guy. He kept looking up there, trying to make a point, he was standing in the shadows and would lean over back into the light. The face he was making was akin to the Alive II cover. It was awesome. I've met Gene outside of the make-up... he truly is a demon on stage. He reminded me of the comic book characters The Demon (DC) or The Gargoyle (Marvel) just the way he was hunching over during the blood spitting.

There was also someone handing out roses in front of us, both Gene and Paul took them in there mouths. (Pics later)
Paul briefly put on the fire-hat for Firehouse.

Paul was talking about Sonic Boom, said you can get it exclusively "from Wal-mart" (in a quirky voice), and began to say had to get the plug in.

Eric got pissed at some guy right before Beth. He was handing out drumsticks and I think a guy snatched it before the kid could get it. You could see him mouthing to give it to the kid. He was pissed. He stilled looked a bit angry about it while singing Beth.

Gene saw some guy texting near front and center. He made the thumb motions (as if you were playing a video game) a few times. I could read his lips "What the fuck" and did the motion again shaking his head also.

They played Crazy, Crazy Nights my favorite KISS song! It to me has never sounded great live. It still didn't, but was better I think than done during the Crazy Nights tour. I was really impressed with Tommy's solo for it.

I didn't really care for I'm An Animal from Sonic Boom, but live it sounds so much better.

Also Paul sounded fantastic. So much better than the three shows I saw them last year (Milwaukee Summerfest, Detroit Cobo night one, and Chicago @ the United Center). I was relieved. I was happy. I haven't listened to the Simlyfy recording yet so I'm not sure if that tells more of the story or not, but live, you can't tell he's was/is having problems.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

gappvembe wrote:KISS Review time again.
I probably say this every time, but I am leaning towards this being my favorite show. How the hell can't it be. I was 5 rows back on Gene's side. The place seemed packed. We all know the set so I won't get into the details of every song. It was the little things that I noticed that were great.

Gene I think had a problem with the spotlight guy. He kept looking up there, trying to make a point, he was standing in the shadows and would lean over back into the light. The face he was making was akin to the Alive II cover. It was awesome. I've met Gene outside of the make-up... he truly is a demon on stage. He reminded me of the comic book characters The Demon (DC) or The Gargoyle (Marvel) just the way he was hunching over during the blood spitting.

There was also someone handing out roses in front of us, both Gene and Paul took them in there mouths. (Pics later)

Paul was talking about Sonic Boom, said you can get it exclusively "from Wal-mart" (in a quirky voice), and began to say had to get the plug in.

Eric got pissed at some guy right before Beth. He was handing out drumsticks and I think a guy snatched it before the kid could get it. You could see him mouthing to give it to the kid. He was pissed. He stilled looked a bit angry about it while singing Beth.

Gene saw some guy texting near front and center. He made the thumb motions (as if you were playing a video game) a few times. I could read his lips "What the fuck" and did the motion again shaking his head also.

They played Crazy, Crazy Nights my favorite KISS song! It to me has never sounded great live. It still didn't, but was better I think than done during the Crazy Nights tour. I was really impressed with Tommy's solo for it.

I didn't really care for I'm An Animal from Sonic Boom, but live it sounds so much better.

Also Paul sounded fantastic. So much better than the three shows I saw them last year (Milwaukee Summerfest, Detroit Cobo night one, and Chicago @ the United Center). I was relieved. I was happy. I haven't listened to the Simlyfy recording yet so I'm not sure if that tells more of the story or not, but live, you can't tell he's was/is having problems.
Nice review Gapp. Reminded me of a few things from the show. You're right about Eric being pissed when he passed out a drumstick. Couldn't see from my vantage point, but I figured it was some guy who snatched it from a kid.

Right after that when Paul was giving the WW speech and Eric was back up on his drum riser, he was giving someone up front the "naughty naughty" sign with his hands. Not sure if it was directed at the same area/guy.

Someone threw the Firehouse hat up on stage that Paul grabbed and briefly put on before tossing it into the pit.

I loved it when Gene was nailing Eric with pics after Beth. The guy's got deadly aim with those things. He got me right between the eyes on the convention tour back in '95. :lol:

The tourbook is outstanding. They sold out of them at the Chicago show back in November, so it was nice to be able to grab one of these.
gappvembe

Post by gappvembe »

CStomp1 wrote:
gappvembe wrote:KISS Review time again.

Nice review Gapp. Reminded me of a few things from the show. You're right about Eric being pissed when he passed out a drumstick. Couldn't see from my vantage point, but I figured it was some guy who snatched it from a kid.

Right after that when Paul was giving the WW speech and Eric was back up on his drum riser, he was giving someone up front the "naughty naughty" sign with his hands. Not sure if it was directed at the same area/guy.

Someone threw the Firehouse hat up on stage that Paul grabbed and briefly put on before tossing it into the pit.

I loved it when Gene was nailing Eric with pics after Beth. The guy's got deadly aim with those things. He got me right between the eyes on the convention tour back in '95. :lol:

The tourbook is outstanding. They sold out of them at the Chicago show back in November, so it was nice to be able to grab one of these.
That's right Eric was doing that to probably the same guy.
Also I do remember Eric was trying to hit Gene with some pics.
gappvembe

Post by gappvembe »

dursin
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by dursin »

Tymaster wrote:[
Makes me miss the days when KISS were 95% arena's strictly. When seeing KISS outside was an "event," not the norm. It's been 10 years this month since I last saw KISS in an arena. Every show since then has been outside.
I've been lucky...seen Kiss live about 20 times and only ONCE was at an outdoor venue. Just isn't the same atmosphere as seeing them in an arena, which is why I would never go out of my way to see an outdoor show again.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

necronomicon wrote:review is coming...

the best KISS show I've ever seen...
Did you everpost your review, Necro? Anxious to read it.
chadb2448
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Review at Chicago

Post by chadb2448 »

I went to the show on Friday and I was impressed as usually. This was the first time I was close and in the center section at the same time. It really made the experience that more enjoyable.

I will say that I thought First Midwest Bank Amp looked like a dump on the outside. Gravel parking lots, the back hillside of the lawn covered with weeds - c'mon Live Nation!

I thought that Gene was amped up Friday. He really had his eye on some woman in the front. There were a couple of times where he did his hip gyrations and then covered up his mouth with his hand, like, "Oops, I was a bad boy." He proceeded to mock spank a woman after giving the "hand on her head" gesture. Funny stuff.

Paul was Paul - working the crowd like he usually does. Tommy continues to improve with every tour it seems and Eric is perhaps the MVP of the band - versatile performer, great singer.

The Tommy/Eric segment was a nice changeup from past tours. I thought the boys were rocking big time on the encore, too.[/img]
Attachments
Love this photo I grabbed from the video screen with my camera.
Love this photo I grabbed from the video screen with my camera.
IMG_0742.JPG (927.63 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
IMG_0754.JPG
IMG_0754.JPG (904.56 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
kisskrazyjim
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by kisskrazyjim »

Some shots from this show that I took.
Attachments
IMG_0175.jpg
IMG_0175.jpg (213.59 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
IMG_0150.jpg