HSOE Show 10: 8/13/10 - Buffalo, NY

User avatar
Julien
Whee Wan
Posts: 15852
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:53 pm

HSOE Show 10: 8/13/10 - Buffalo, NY

Post by Julien »

Discussions, reviews, live-updates, meet-ups, etc!

Image

http://www.kissfaq.com/KissFAQ-wiki/ind ... e_-_081310

Details
Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, Buffalo, NY
Promoter: Live Nation
Opening Act(s): DoDriver, The Envy, The Academy Is
Attendance: ? / 21,800 (Max)

"Hottest Show On Earth" set lists will be archived HERE

Full song performance stats HERE
Last edited by Julien on Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aceclone
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1868
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:49 pm
Location: New York

Post by aceclone »

I'll be there....
User avatar
UnderTheGun
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Upstate New York

Post by UnderTheGun »

I cant wait for this show!!! It will be my 13 year old sons third show and my 10 year old daughters FIRST!
User avatar
UnderTheGun
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Upstate New York

Post by UnderTheGun »

KISS TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
j2m1979
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3891
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:41 pm

Post by j2m1979 »

Have Fun!!!
User avatar
Just_Lee
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 7799
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Mississippi

Post by Just_Lee »

UnderTheGun wrote:I cant wait for this show!!! It will be my 13 year old sons third show and my 10 year old daughters FIRST!
It is quite awesome to see the kids eyes at their first show. Have a great time.
User avatar
Shane_Penney
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6268
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

Post by Shane_Penney »

Any reviews?
User avatar
UnderTheGun
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Upstate New York

Post by UnderTheGun »

Amazing Show Last Night - Paul Voice much better than expected - Gene sounds great!! Full crowd more than in 2004 - had to be close to a sell out. It was my daughters first show and she loved it - lots of little kids running around at this show. I was surprised at how good they sound and how energetic they still are! Sorry Its not a more detailed review - I am on little sleep (traffic was terrible after the show) and getting ready for work. Kiss and the Kiss Army Still Rocks!!!!!!
User avatar
kissthat
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19024
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, SC

Post by kissthat »

UnderTheGun wrote:Amazing Show Last Night - Paul Voice much better than expected - Gene sounds great!! Full crowd more than in 2004 - had to be close to a sell out. It was my daughters first show and she loved it - lots of little kids running around at this show. I was surprised at how good they sound and how energetic they still are! Sorry Its not a more detailed review - I am on little sleep (traffic was terrible after the show) and getting ready for work. Kiss and the Kiss Army Still Rocks!!!!!!
Glad to hear you had a great time. :D
User avatar
drgbootz
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9438
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:22 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by drgbootz »

UnderTheGun wrote:Amazing Show Last Night - Paul Voice much better than expected - Gene sounds great!! Full crowd more than in 2004 - had to be close to a sell out. It was my daughters first show and she loved it - lots of little kids running around at this show. I was surprised at how good they sound and how energetic they still are! Sorry Its not a more detailed review - I am on little sleep (traffic was terrible after the show) and getting ready for work. Kiss and the Kiss Army Still Rocks!!!!!!
Excellent looking forward to more details, the review on Kissonline says it was packed!
Last edited by drgbootz on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
kissthat
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19024
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, SC

Post by kissthat »

drgbootz wrote:
UnderTheGun wrote:Amazing Show Last Night - Paul Voice much better than expected - Gene sounds great!! Full crowd more than in 2004 - had to be close to a sell out. It was my daughters first show and she loved it - lots of little kids running around at this show. I was surprised at how good they sound and how energetic they still are! Sorry Its not a more detailed review - I am on little sleep (traffic was terrible after the show) and getting ready for work. Kiss and the Kiss Army Still Rocks!!!!!!
Excellent looking forward to more details, the revue on Kissonline says it was packed!
We're always late getting the check numbers ,but according to some pictures on Liveshare the crowd was pretty damn good.
User avatar
Julien
Whee Wan
Posts: 15852
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:53 pm

Post by Julien »

Kiss stunningly overwhelming in Darien gig

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainmen ... 101445.ece

(By Jeff Miers, NEWS POP MUSIC CRITIC)

Love ’em. Hate ’em. But good luck ignoring them.

For nearly 40 years, Kiss has reigned supreme over theatrical arena rock. Marrying the thump, wallop and strut of late 60s British and American guitar-boogie to a show blending the macabre, the over-the-top, the just plain fun, and the deafeningly decibel-infused, Kiss birthed a glitter, glam and greasepaint-adorned hard rock spectacle.

On Friday, the band brought its “Hottest Show On Earth” tour to Darien Lake and made plain yet again just what the critics have never gotten their eggheads around, but the little girls (and boys) have always understood –Kiss is rock ’n’ roll fantasy writ large and played loud.

Of course some of those “little girls and boys” are now in their 40s and 50s, and many of them came to Friday’s packed show with their offspring – themselves representing a new generation of Kiss fanatics—in tow. In a recent conversation with The News, band cofounder and front man Paul Stanley spoke of the Kiss audience as “a tribe,” and reflected with obvious pride on the multiple generations of fans now flocking to the band’s shows, in the process making this summer’s Kiss tours one of the few to do solid business in just about

any market imaginable.

Kiss has, for the first time in several tours, a new album to push. It has been even longer since the band had a new album worth pushing, but “Sonic Boom” is the band’s best in-studio work in several decades. Not surprisingly, the quartet pushed the new stuff, though not too hard, with a total of three of the collection’s songs sharing space with classics. One of them opened the show, in the form of the Zeppelin-esque boogie “Modern Day Delilah,” as the band arrived on risers, the spectacle kicked off with a thunderous explosion, and Stanley commenced the energetic stage-strutting that he’d continue for the next 2-plus hours.

Kiss — Stanley, bassist/vocalist/ co-founder Gene Simmons, guitarist Tommy Thayer and drummer Eric Singer — then busted straight into a trio of stone-cold hard rock classics, as former guitarist Ace Frehley’s “Cold Gin” gave way to the full-tilt raunch of the early gem “Let Me Go, Rock ’n’ Roll,” and finally settled into the T. Rexlike glam anthem “Firehouse.” Stanley offered his “Say Yeah,” another “Sonic Boom” tune, and the additional muscle of the in-concert version eclipsed the studio track handily.

Then it was onward, as Simmons tackled what just might be his coolest song ever, “Deuce”; upped the sleaze factor with another of his finest, “Calling Dr. Love”; and then turned the microphone over to Thayer, who ably handled Frehley’s trademark “Shock Me.”

With the sole exception of the rather too glitzy and Bon Jovi-esque throwaway “Crazy Crazy Nights,” the set list was all killer and no filler, particularly the grouping of songs that slammed us all headlong into the encore – “100,000 Years,” “I Love It Loud,” “Love Gun,” “Black Diamond” and “Detroit Rock City” commingled to form the finest 30 minutes of fist-in-the-air hard rock Western New York has seen in many a moon.

Western New York band DoDriver kicked off the evening’s with a short set. As winners of a Guitar Center contest, the band took home the prize they’d probably dreamed about as kids — opening for Kiss.
User avatar
The Phantom of the Park
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9014
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:50 am
Location: Upper Michigan

Post by The Phantom of the Park »

making this summer’s Kiss tours one of the few to do solid business in just about any market imaginable
Fuckin' right!!
User avatar
kissthat
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19024
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, SC

Post by kissthat »

The Phantom of the Park wrote:
making this summer’s Kiss tours one of the few to do solid business in just about any market imaginable
Fuckin' right!!
Help you out :D
hubber85
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:53 pm

Post by hubber85 »

Here is my review of last night's show. I had great seats and I took my 11 year old son and 15 year old daughter to their first KISS concert. Both loved it. My son scored some guitar picks from Tommy and Paul.

MDD - Song was great and crowd was into it although I prefer Deuce as opener

Cold Gin - Awesome. A lot of crowd participation. Paul talked awhile before they started playing as the road crew worked out some technical issues.

LMGRAR - Once again, this song kicked ass.

Firehouse - Band solid again on this one.

Say Yeah - First song crowd started to quiet down. Not a lot of people in my section were singing along. Paul and Tommy looked a little disappointed in lack of crowd reaction.

Deuce - Another fine rendition.

Crazy, Crazy Nights - Ouch. As much as I want to hear some different songs in the set list, this song just did not go over well. It didn't sound good and Paul not being able to hit the high notes anymore doesn't help. It was a clunker.

Calling Dr. Love - I would prefer any number of other Gene songs here but it was solid and crowd was into it.

Shock Me - Band rocked, Tommy song it well and crowd loved it.

I'm an Animal - Pee break for me and what seemed like half the crowd. A lot of comments were made that this song sucked and should be removed from the set list. I made it back to my seat just in time for......

100,000 Years - Solid once again although it appeared the younger generation of fans didn't seem to know it. The Tommy/Eric solo was great and the bazooka was cool.

I Love It Loud - Crowd back into it and it was great to see the kiddies singing along.

Love Gun - I could do without it but it is a fan favorite and crowd enjoyed it.

Black Diamond - Nice little bit of The Who first then into the intro. Again, younger generation didn't seem to know this classic. Band was awesome again.

Detroit Rock City - Rocked.

Beth - Nice little acoustic number and Eric sang great.

Lick it Up - Crowd participation back up and singing loud and proud.

Shout It Out Loud - Again, younger folks didn't seem to know it. Sounded great, though.

IWMFLY - Solid.

GGRARTY- Another good tune and solid performance.

Rock and Roll All Nite - Band rocked and as usual the confetti shower ended the show.

Overall, other than Crazy, Crazy Nights and the Sonic Boom tunes it was a great show. My kids loved the show and talked about it the whole way home.

Paul's voice sounded great. No issues whatsoever.
Trance
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3051
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:08 pm

Post by Trance »

:lol: @ Paul's voice sounded great. No issues whatsoever.

Sucks nobody knows the new stuff.
User avatar
kissthat
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19024
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, SC

Post by kissthat »

HSOE Show 10: 8/13/10 - Buffalo, NY total 122.891
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trance
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3051
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:08 pm

re

Post by Trance »

Paul did have a good night last night from the videos I've seen on YouTube.

So they're just using a rolling total check instead of individual checks for each venue? So when they post the pic online it looks like they gave $100,000 one night and $120,000 the next night, am I right?
Spankymadoo
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:49 pm
Location: Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth

Post by Spankymadoo »

hubber85 wrote:Here is my review of last night's show. I had great seats and I took my 11 year old son and 15 year old daughter to their first KISS concert. Both loved it. My son scored some guitar picks from Tommy and Paul.

MDD - Song was great and crowd was into it although I prefer Deuce as opener

Cold Gin - Awesome. A lot of crowd participation. Paul talked awhile before they started playing as the road crew worked out some technical issues.

LMGRAR - Once again, this song kicked ass.

Firehouse - Band solid again on this one.

Say Yeah - First song crowd started to quiet down. Not a lot of people in my section were singing along. Paul and Tommy looked a little disappointed in lack of crowd reaction.

Deuce - Another fine rendition.

Crazy, Crazy Nights - Ouch. As much as I want to hear some different songs in the set list, this song just did not go over well. It didn't sound good and Paul not being able to hit the high notes anymore doesn't help. It was a clunker.

Calling Dr. Love - I would prefer any number of other Gene songs here but it was solid and crowd was into it.

Shock Me - Band rocked, Tommy song it well and crowd loved it.

I'm an Animal - Pee break for me and what seemed like half the crowd. A lot of comments were made that this song sucked and should be removed from the set list. I made it back to my seat just in time for......

100,000 Years - Solid once again although it appeared the younger generation of fans didn't seem to know it. The Tommy/Eric solo was great and the bazooka was cool.

I Love It Loud - Crowd back into it and it was great to see the kiddies singing along.

Love Gun - I could do without it but it is a fan favorite and crowd enjoyed it.

Black Diamond - Nice little bit of The Who first then into the intro. Again, younger generation didn't seem to know this classic. Band was awesome again.

Detroit Rock City - Rocked.

Beth - Nice little acoustic number and Eric sang great.

Lick it Up - Crowd participation back up and singing loud and proud.

Shout It Out Loud - Again, younger folks didn't seem to know it. Sounded great, though.

IWMFLY - Solid.

GGRARTY- Another good tune and solid performance.

Rock and Roll All Nite - Band rocked and as usual the confetti shower ended the show.

Overall, other than Crazy, Crazy Nights and the Sonic Boom tunes it was a great show. My kids loved the show and talked about it the whole way home.

Paul's voice sounded great. No issues whatsoever.
Pretty much spot on but there's a couple of things I'd like to add if I may...
Paul's voice was very spotty. Strong on some songs and not so good on a few others. "Say Yeah' seemed to be pretty difficult for him. I also noticed that he was doing less backing vocals as the night went on.

Totally disagree on Crazy Nights. Thought they did a good job with the song, and it seemed pretty well received in the area I was sitting anyway.

I do agree with I'm An Animal. One of my favorites off Sonic Boom but it was very slow and boring. Kind of reminds me of when they did Within on the Psycho Circus tour.

Overall I thought the show was incredible. One of the best shows I've seen them do. Honestly the only changes I would make are to drop I'm An Animal and bring back God Of Thunder, and also stop Paul from doing an extended intro to each and every song. We're fans, we'll know 'em!!