HSOE Show 4: 7/30/10 - Cincinnati

Admin
Prattish Pontificator

HSOE Show 4: 7/30/10 - Cincinnati

Post by Admin »

Discussions, reviews, live-updates, meet-ups, etc!

http://www.kissfaq.com/KissFAQ-wiki/ind ... e_-_073010

Details
Cincinnati, OH
Riverbend Music Center
Promoter: Live Nation
Opening Act(s): Superunknown, The Envy, The Academy Is
Attendance: ? / 20,500 (Max)
Set list (Same as July 23):
Modern Day Delilah
Cold Gin
Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll
Firehouse
Say Yeah
Deuce
Crazy Crazy Nights
Calling Dr. Love
Shock Me
I'm An Animal
100,000 Years
I Love It Loud
Love Gun
Black Diamond
Detroit Rock City
Beth
Lick It Up
Shout It Out Loud
I Was Made For Lovin' You
God Gave Rock And Roll To You II
Rock And Roll All Nite
Last edited by Admin on Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DarknessWillFall413
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by DarknessWillFall413 »

What a day for a show. ;)
The Man
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Man »

At riverbed now. ..beautiful day!
The Man
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Man »

Don't see genes platform setup
The Man
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Man »

Crazy nights. Going over big
Last edited by The Man on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kisscorky
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by kisscorky »

Just left the show...AWESOME! Meet and Greet was great! Paul sounded fantastic!
The Man
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Man »

Amazing show ! Gene didn't fly ! Tommy and Eric really stole the show imo
drgbootz
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by drgbootz »

Any ideas on attendance?
chevyboy666
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by chevyboy666 »

Ok, Pauls voice was really strong. I had the best time i've ever had ever! Tommy was nailin it all night.

The two drunks behind me got into a Singer vs. Carr arguement that turned into a fistfight. They both got ejected. :lol:
Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

The Man wrote:Crazy nights. Going over big
Based on concert reports and some youtube clips, it seems Crazy, Crazy Nights has been consistently getting a great reaction. I hope the band recognizes this and throws some more 80's material into the setlist.
Just_Lee

Post by Just_Lee »

Homer Simpson wrote:
Based on concert reports and some youtube clips, it seems Crazy, Crazy Nights has been consistently getting a great reaction. I hope the band recognizes this and throws some more 80's material into the setlist.

Hell yea. I would love to hear "Tears Are Falling" added.
chevyboy666
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by chevyboy666 »

God gave also had a real warm reception. I'd love to see some more revenge thrown in.
jconnors

Post by jconnors »

they should play more songs from LICK IT UP.
twdavis

Post by twdavis »

Very nice to hear.

Glad Paul's voice was good.

Any idea why Gene didn't fly??
headlong
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by headlong »

twdavis wrote:Very nice to hear.

Wasn't at this show, but on the Farewell Tour Gene didn't fly at the first of two shows at my local amphitheater. The roof is much lower than at an arena. The next night they adjusted Gene's platform so that he could fly.
The lighting rig that the platform was attached to was lowered during the show just prior to the bass solo. I'll be going to this amphitheater to see them next week. Will let you know if he flies or not.
StarChildBlade
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by StarChildBlade »

headlong wrote:

Wasn't at this show, but on the Farewell Tour Gene didn't fly at the first of two shows at my local amphitheater. The roof is much lower than at an arena. The next night they adjusted Gene's platform so that he could fly.
The lighting rig that the platform was attached to was lowered during the show just prior to the bass solo. I'll be going to this amphitheater to see them next week. Will let you know if he flies or not.
Is your name named after the Queen song of the same name? If so, you rock!
octalux
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by octalux »

just got in from the show

easily the best show i've ever seen KISS do!

agreed TT and ES stole the show, but paul sounded like it was 1996, he was nailing it vocally

the 1st band was a creed wannabe, the envy seemed ok, the academy is eats it

KISS was on fire, the downer was gene didn't roam over to my side very much, thayer is the man, singer ws his usual perfection and paul was amazing!!!!

H
The Man
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Man »

Homer Simpson wrote:
It was funny after the show the little girl sitting behind me looked at her dad and said .. "do we have the cd with the crazy crazy song on it.. I like it the best now "
Last edited by The Man on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Man
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Man »

Some more notes from the show .

- my friend at riverbend said the show did very well with sales over the last few days about 90% of the show was sold

- Paul Still seemed rough vocally no matter what others are reporting . To me he just seemes to be understanding his llimits better and adjusting

- The biggest crowd Reactions of the night were
Calling Dr love
Crazy Nights
Lick It up and
Beth
and the biggest by far was the Tommy Eric Solo spot ... People loved it .. and with good reason !

The band Seemed Really happy on stage ... Paul and Gene shared the mic many times

Saw a few tears in peoples eyes during the America Speech .

-I've seen tons of shows since 1984.... This without a doubt is the best I've ever seen the band .
headlong
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by headlong »

StarChildBlade wrote:
headlong wrote:

Is your name named after the Queen song of the same name? If so, you rock!

This should answer your question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI-bPZQhBLk
Forevertj
Banned

Post by Forevertj »

drgbootz wrote:Any ideas on attendance?

They donate one dollar for every ticket sold to the troops for when they come home from the war. The check was for over 55.000 dollars.
That is what I know to be true. I make no claims of knowing anything other than that, in regards to how many people were there.
Forevertj
Banned

Post by Forevertj »

Paul rectied the pledge of allegiance and crowd did it with him and that started a huge USA USA chant! Awesome.
Paul sang Whole Lotta Love and did very well. Eric Singer sings Beth much better than Peter Criss ever dreamed of. It's a much much better song with an actualu competent vocalist on the mic. I no longer have to wince and crgine when it's played. 8)

Awesome show!
Forevertj
Banned

Post by Forevertj »

There was a ceiling over the spot where gene would have stood on the tress far lower that what would be required for Gene to be standing on. There just wasn't room.

He did a wonderful job though, people went apeshit when he was recoiling in horror (mock horror) of the church bells. COOL 8)
drgbootz

Post by drgbootz »

Forevertj wrote:

They donate one dollar for every ticket sold to the troops for when they come home from the war. The check was for over 55.000 dollars.
That is what I know to be true. I make no claims of knowing anything other than that, in regards to how many people were there.
So you attended the show?
drgbootz

Post by drgbootz »

Crowd shot from the show....wow
Attachments
cinici.jpg
cinici.jpg (139.23 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
fissaman

Post by fissaman »

Great to hear Stan's voice seems to be sounding better and there's a lotta love for TT and ES. 8)

The pro USA speech thing is a bit cringworthy to my ears but if you Yanks are diggin it then cool.
Tymaster
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Tymaster »

scottkfan1

Post by scottkfan1 »

some really nice photos... great looking kids!! that is what a concert is all about..love it
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

scottkfan1 wrote:
some really nice photos... great looking kids!! that is what a concert is all about..love it
Thanks!
KISS Unmasked II
Banned

Post by KISS Unmasked II »

Great photos, Tymaster !
And thanx for the FB add too
8)
Shane_Penney

Post by Shane_Penney »

drgbootz wrote:Crowd shot from the show....wow
I'll do it..........DOOMED.

It's someone else's turn next time.

I've done my duty for this tour :)
KISS Unmasked II
Banned

Post by KISS Unmasked II »

Forevertj wrote:

Sorry but you mean to write 55,000 as in fifty five thousand ?
That's a massive audience. Not saying you are wrong but the photos look more like maybe 20,000. What does the place hold ?
8)
The Man
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Man »

Forevertj wrote:

There was a ceiling over the spot where gene would have stood on the tress far lower that what would be required for Gene to be standing on. There just wasn't room.

He did a wonderful job though, people went apeshit when he was recoiling in horror (mock horror) of the church bells. COOL 8)

Gene has flown at riverbend many times
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Shane_Penney wrote:
I'm interested in the box score. I spoke to a lady at the box office, and she said they only sold around 10,000 tickets. I think that is a huge underestimate. The pavilion was definitely sold out. The lawn, well, lawns are always hard to gauge. Plus, on this tour, you can bring up to 4 kids with one adult ticket, but they don't give the tickets to the kids until the night of the show. So, how could they possibly gauge lawn attendance until after the show???? Take a look at my pics, and you can idea of the crowd size. Great show.
Not sure about Gene's flying routine though. I've seen KISS at the 'bend a few times, and he has always flown. Last night should've been no different, unless those ceiling tiles were recently added. Not sure if they were there before or not??? Anyone go to lots of shows there?? I'm not a big fan of that venue (or that city for that matter, but that's another story) however, KISS made me forget about my disdain for Riverbend and the city of Cincy for two plus hours!!! By my watch, they were on stage from 8:55 until 11:15!!! No complaints here. New material: I loved it!!!! But honestly, Paul tried in vein to make "Say Yeah" a sing along. I mean the crowd sang along, but not b/c they knew the song, it was b/c Paul wouldn't let them not sing LOL! And "I'm An Animal" was a RR/beer break song for most. During those two songs, most people had the "they still make records/have a new record" look on their face. Of course, during Eric and Tommy's solo you had people yelling "Ace rules!" and "Go Peter!?" So, go figure. I had a great night, and can't wait for Indy!
The Man
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Man »

Forevertj wrote:

Paul said that was a total of the tour so far .
The Man
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Man »

Tymaster wrote:
Shane_Penney wrote:
I'm interested in the box score. I spoke to a lady at the box office, and she said they only sold around 10,000 tickets. I think that is a huge underestimate. The pavilion was definitely sold out. The lawn, well, lawns are always hard to gauge. Plus, on this tour, you can bring up to 4 kids with one adult ticket, but they don't give the tickets to the kids until the night of the show. So, how could they possibly gauge lawn attendance until after the show???? Take a look at my pics, and you can idea of the crowd size. Great show.
Not sure about Gene's flying routine though. I've seen KISS at the 'bend a few times, and he has always flown. Last night should've been no different, unless those ceiling tiles were recently added. Not sure if they were there before or not??? Anyone go to lots of shows there?? I'm not a big fan of that venue (or that city for that matter, but that's another story) however, KISS made me forget about my disdain for Riverbend and the city of Cincy for two plus hours!!! By my watch, they were on stage from 8:55 until 11:15!!! No complaints here. New material: I loved it!!!! But honestly, Paul tried in vein to make "Say Yeah" a sing along. I mean the crowd sang along, but not b/c they knew the song, it was b/c Paul wouldn't let them not sing LOL! And "I'm An Animal" was a RR/beer break song for most. During those two songs, most people had the "they still make records/have a new record" look on their face. Of course, during Eric and Tommy's solo you had people yelling "Ace rules!" and "Go Peter!?" So, go figure. I had a great night, and can't wait for Indy!
My friend at riverbend said they had Huge ticket sells the day before and they day of the show .... He said they sold almost 90% of the venue
Shockstar
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Shockstar »

The Man wrote:
Forevertj wrote:

So, the attendance was about 16K i guess..
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

The Man wrote:
Tymaster wrote:
Shane_Penney wrote:
My friend at riverbend said they had Huge ticket sells the day before and they day of the show .... He said they sold almost 90% of the venue
That seems about right. I've seen the lawn a little more full. I've been to a few shows there that were sell outs, as in the marquee out front clearly stated "SOLD OUT." And you couldn't move in through that lawn. But looking back before and during KISS' set, it was very clear that this show had sold far more than "Rock the Nation." I was gonna guesstimate 15,000, but it sounds as if it may have more than that. I don't think the lady I spoke to (who said the show sold around 10,000) knew what she was talking about.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Shockstar wrote:
The Man wrote:
Forevertj wrote:

So, the attendance was about 16K i guess..

Didn't he say in Piit. that that was the 1st night of the Hottest Show on Earth tour?

And does anyone think that any of these $10 lawn seats are gonna really be in this count for a donation?That's almost free.
Last edited by kissthat on Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

The Man wrote:
Forevertj wrote:

Gene has flown at riverbend many times
Well, three times. This was KISS' 4th show there. Prior to 2000 KISS had never played Riverbend (in fact, the only Cincy venues they had ever played were the Coliseum and the Gardens) but KISS played there on the Farewell Tour, World Domination Tour, and Rock the Nation, and Gene flew those three times. The only difference I could possibly think of were the ceiling tile like things above the stage. Are those new? I've never really paid attention. I tend to not count ceiling tiles while at concerts. I suppose if I were ever forced to see Dave Mathews that it was what I would do though :).
Trance
Banned

rf

Post by Trance »

:lol @ "Ace Rules"

I guess Ace will live forever as long as somebody is on stage in his makeup.
nightwingken
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: Celebrating 12 years whining.Complaining since 2001.

Post by nightwingken »

octalux wrote:easily the best show i've ever seen KISS do!

agreed TT and ES stole the show, but paul sounded like it was 1996, he was nailing it vocally

the 1st band was a creed wannabe, the envy seemed ok, the academy is eats it

KISS was on fire, the downer was gene didn't roam over to my side very much, thayer is the man, singer ws his usual perfection and paul was amazing!!!!

H
excellent post
Trance
Banned

re

Post by Trance »

Does anybody in that part of the country own a video camera?
nightwingken
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by nightwingken »

The Man wrote:Some more notes from the show .

- my friend at riverbend said the show did very well with sales over the last few days about 90% of the show was sold

- Paul Still seemed rough vocally no matter what others are reporting . To me he just seemes to be understanding his llimits better and adjusting

- The biggest crowd Reactions of the night were
Calling Dr love
Crazy Nights
Lick It up and
Beth
and the biggest by far was the Tommy Eric Solo spot ... People loved it .. and with good reason !

The band Seemed Really happy on stage ... Paul and Gene shared the mic many times

Saw a few tears in peoples eyes during the America Speech .

-I've seen tons of shows since 1984.... This without a doubt is the best I've ever seen the band .
it was ...KISS is back
nightwingken
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: rf

Post by nightwingken »

Trance wrote::lol @ "Ace Rules"

I guess Ace will live forever as long as somebody is on stage in his makeup.
that is hilarious... but Ace is still alive :roll:
nightwingken
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by nightwingken »

fissaman wrote:Great to hear Stan's voice seems to be sounding better and there's a lotta love for TT and ES.
very true
Just_Lee

Post by Just_Lee »

Shane_Penney wrote:

It's someone else's turn next time.

I've done my duty for this tour :)

You beat me to it........... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tymaster

Re: re

Post by Tymaster »

Trance wrote:Does anybody in that part of the country own a video camera?
I'm sure clips will be on YouTube today. Every show winds up youtube.
ferkberger747
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ferkberger747 »

Great show! I took 4 friends for the first time and they loved it. Great setlist, though they were bummed that Gene didn't fly. Sadly, I have to disagree with other reports. Paul sounded VERY rough to my ear. I had a blast, though.

One strange note, I swear I saw a roadie start to bring out Gene's flying rig before his solo...but there was no where to fly. Also, it seemed they dropped the curtain way too early.
FIX
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by FIX »

Hey everyone...glad to post here again! Anyway, I was at the show last night and I thought I would give my two cents on a few things. Firstly, the attendance was great. Subtracting the totals from the previous 3 WW checks, the paid attendance was in the 17K range. I also trolled the lawn pre-gig and there were a ton of kids so I would say around 18K for attendance would be an accurate guess.
The band was on fire and Paul sounded pretty good. I could definitely tell there were points where he was straining, especially in the first half of the show. As someone posted previously he does seem to be accommodating better. As far as Gene flying goes, I think it has to do with the truss they were using. The previous times I saw KISS here the front truss would be lowered so Gene could fly up to it. Didn't seem to have that set up last night. I kind of wonder if that will impact other shows in similar venues.
I also agree that Eric and Tommy were on fire and the crowd responded to that. This was my 23rd show and I had a blast. Can't wait for Indy in 9 days!