Gigs in a Covid world.

A dedicated forum to discussion of other bands. Wanna talk LL Cool J? Go for it! Prince? Go for it! Spice Girls or Lady Gaga? Go for it! Don't get pigeon-holed into liking just one genre of music!
acesmiddlefinger
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Gigs in a Covid world.

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

Live music is on the agenda again and I just wanted to know how people are feeling about going out and experiencing live music again.

Without a doubt the last 18 months have been a killer. Having been a regular gig goer since 79, the live music ban has been a real struggle. Over the past 3 weeks I have been lucky enough to see three different gigs. I've seen three wonderful gigs that have reminded me of the huge part live music plays in my life. On Thursday of this week I was lucky enough to attend a gig (Black Stone Cherry) at one of my favourite venues (Manchester Apollo). It was obvious from the first song that the band and crowd were in perfect unison. Just an incredible experience from start to finish. When I look back at the last 18 months I would like to think that anytime a gig is on in my neck of the woods I would make a little extra effort to get out there and support the bands that are trying to make a few bucks.!

Thoughts??
Do live gigs frighten you?
Can things ever be the same again?
rscott71
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Gigs in a Covid world.

Post by rscott71 »

just this month i've seen Guns N Roses and Jackson Brown live. it was fantastic to be going to shows again
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Welcome to the new normal. Once everyone is vaxxed who wants to be vaxxed then you just have to open things up and it’ll be what it’ll be. It’s mostly the anti vaxxers who are getting sick and that’s on them.
jconnors
Location: OHIO STATE BUCKEYES 2018 AND 2019 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Post by jconnors »

Seems risky to purchase tickets anymore.
jconnors

Post by jconnors »

Statuegirl21 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:35 pm Welcome to the new normal. Once everyone is vaxxed who wants to be vaxxed then you just have to open things up and it’ll be what it’ll be. It’s mostly the anti vaxxers who are getting sick and that’s on them.
Many vaxxers are getting sick too. Even died.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Sure, some are. Vastly the minority though. That’s why I said mostly unvaccinated.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/cdc-stu ... covid.html
Forevertj
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Forevertj »

Proceed as usual.
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

acesmiddlefinger wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:29 pm Live music is on the agenda again and I just wanted to know how people are feeling about going out and experiencing live music again.

Without a doubt the last 18 months have been a killer. Having been a regular gig goer since 79, the live music ban has been a real struggle. Over the past 3 weeks I have been lucky enough to see three different gigs. I've seen three wonderful gigs that have reminded me of the huge part live music plays in my life. On Thursday of this week I was lucky enough to attend a gig (Black Stone Cherry) at one of my favourite venues (Manchester Apollo). It was obvious from the first song that the band and crowd were in perfect unison. Just an incredible experience from start to finish. When I look back at the last 18 months I would like to think that anytime a gig is on in my neck of the woods I would make a little extra effort to get out there and support the bands that are trying to make a few bucks.!

Thoughts??
Do live gigs frighten you?
Can things ever be the same again?
Was meant to see Massive Wagons at the Club Academy last night. Was wary but wanted to go. Then the Mrs had a panic attack about me going, so had to stay home. Disappointed to say the least.
Got the Darkness in December. I'm hopeful I can get to that one. Will be wary about being in a crowd for a while but I'm sure it'll pass. Like you I love live music and meeting up with old mates. Not gonna let fear dictate my life if I can.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

I have changed how I think about gigs. Here are some points. Some may contradict each other, I ain’t perfect, taking it one day at a time.

•I wanna catch bands & artists I love before they croak. The 2 Pre-1990 bands I desire to see the most are Metallica & The Eagles (even without Glenn F - RIP).
•contrary to my past self in 2019, I’m gonna try buying many tickets < 48 hours prior to the gig time. I used to always buy advanced tickets. I had great luck doing this with a Green Day concert last month. Will still buy some in advance, but much less than I did in 2019.
•If I’ve already seen the group at least once, & I’m a “medium” fan, I’m much more likely to sit that show out. Not go.

My experiences back at gigs: I went to 3 huge gigs in August 2021.

•Joan Jett (outdoors, last minute, free)
•GnR (indoors, advance tickets)
•Green Day, Fall Out Boy, Weezer (outdoors, last minute day-of ticket for $62 total including the damn fees 👍)

& 1 small gig this past Saturday. Local Oakland group Psychic Hit in a bar. Paid at the door. Check em out, they sound like Judas Priest & Thin Lizzy! Link below.

I am vaccinated & was wearing 2 masks at all gigs (disposable under, & washable mask over) & I live in the most “mask-obedient” part of the USA… it is still fuckin nerve-racking!

Made it through alright, but these were anxiety-filled gigs. I have a lotta anxiety in general.

I *might** catch the Stones in Los Angeles in 4 weeks… but other that than, I’m not planning on giggin’ til a few in March 2022 that I do have advanced tickets to… purchased in 2019! Wowzers.

Stay safe folks.✌️💉

Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

I'm glad that I saw hundreds of gigs in the 80's and 90's, so I'm kind of tired of that anyway. I'd much rather watch a show on a big screen TV nowadays.
banks

Post by banks »

I'm fine with it by now.
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

I'm fully vaxxed(moderna) and have been to one indoor large club show (cheap trick) and to several indoor small club shows. I felt comfortable as there was room to space. Will be different feeling perhaps at upcoming big shows....if they happen.
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

jconnors wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:44 pm
Statuegirl21 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:35 pm Welcome to the new normal. Once everyone is vaxxed who wants to be vaxxed then you just have to open things up and it’ll be what it’ll be. It’s mostly the anti vaxxers who are getting sick and that’s on them.
MANY? compared to who?..the unvaxxed?
Sssnakester

Post by Sssnakester »

sugardaddy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:26 am
I personally know of 3 people, including a niece, who have been vaxxed and got covid again recently. 2 of the 3 have been hospitalized. It happens more than they're admitting.
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

Sssnakester wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:08 am
I personally know of 3 people, including a niece, who have been vaxxed and got covid again recently. 2 of the 3 have been hospitalized. It happens more than they're admitting.
So you know 3 people. Who's "they" or are you just making up numbers based on your unfortunate experience?
Sssnakester

Post by Sssnakester »

sugardaddy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:14 am

So you know 3 people. Who's "they" or are you just making up numbers based on your unfortunate experience?
Ok, man.
Christmas
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Christmas »

Statuegirl21 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:20 pm Sure, some are. Vastly the minority though. That’s why I said mostly unvaccinated.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/cdc-stu ... covid.html
But wait. I thought 70% vaccination was “herd immunity “?
Christmas
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Christmas »

I also know personally of three people. Fully vaxxed and in the hospital.
FanbAce1978
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by FanbAce1978 »

Not going to gigs anymore. Probably never will. Avoid large crowds at all cost.
JohnBergless

Post by JohnBergless »

jconnors wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:42 pm Seems risky to purchase tickets anymore.
Well, it’s sure not stopping the NFL and MLB. What’s going to be interesting here is what happens when NHL hockey starts up; an indoor sport. And NBA basketball too.
strangeways747

Post by strangeways747 »

I go to gigs and sporting events all the time.
Not a problem.
Seeing Alice Cooper tomorrow night and just saw my White Sox last night.
I've seen bands in clubs, theaters and big arenas.
Not a problem.
jconnors

Post by jconnors »

strangeways747 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:23 pm I go to gigs and sporting events all the time.
Not a problem.
Not a problem.
So every venue has no vaccine rules?
highvoltage1969

Post by highvoltage1969 »

I think they tend to be outnumbered by those who died from COVID.
strangeways747

Post by strangeways747 »

jconnors wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:21 am
strangeways747 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:23 pm I go to gigs and sporting events all the time.
Not a problem.
Not a problem.
So every venue has no vaccine rules?
It varies.
AxlisKing
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AxlisKing »

If you want to see a show, go. I saw Gn'R five times in stadiums, two indoors, as well as Alice/Ace last Friday. I've also been to four packed stadiums in Madison and Chicago for college football with no issues. We are fully vaxed. Live life if you're comfortable doing it. Stay home and lock in if you're not. Just don't let people shame you for doing so.