Paul McCartney and Wings

A dedicated forum to discussion of other bands. Wanna talk LL Cool J? Go for it! Prince? Go for it! Spice Girls or Lady Gaga? Go for it! Don't get pigeon-holed into liking just one genre of music!
Bruce
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Paul McCartney and Wings

Post by Bruce »

Gifted me by my parents, The John Lennon Collection and Paul McCartney's All the Best comprise much of what I know that might be considered Beatles-related. I do own their Red & Blue compilations, just to own them. Anyway, the point is, All the Best gets played most often -- which just so happens to feature a lot of Wings.

So much of Wings sounds so dated, though, i can't bring myself to commit to an entire record of any of it. As well, I'm under the impression that most of Wings records contains mostly filler. But I don't know. All I can say is that for some reason, McCartney's All the Best has gotten me through some (thankfully rare & isolated) tough times. With a Little Luck, especially ... but not only:

My reticence where this group is concerned may just stem from my not being blown away by the Beatles, so much. But from my minimal exposure to both, I prefer Wings (or, at least, Paul's post-Beatles work). What about you? What do you know of the band's history, the strength of the records ... all that ...
ashorama
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re: Paul McCartney and Wings

Post by ashorama »

The only album that is worth anything from start to finish is the much-lauded Band on the Run. The rest . . . you just need the greatest hits. And I say this as someone who owned all of them and liked a lot of the records but they're not great albums. The hits are really all you need. The Back to the Egg album is pretty solid, too.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Paul and Wings were my big obsession before I got into KISS. I still love them today.

There are so many good songs to choose from but here are a few I love.

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

A couple years ago, I went to witness -- first hand -- Sir Paul McCartney's Freshen Up Tour. He's not a young man and I really was not sure what to expect, never having gone to a concert of his, before. I was amazed how faithful he was to the songs (though, vocally, he was often propped up by the drummer, it seemed like). Three hours the concert was, though -- wow!

About a third of the setlist I did not recognize, though I have my suspicions that much of it may have been Wings material. What I did know, he played very well. I remember it including Junior's Farm, Let 'Em In, Maybe I'm Amazed, Band on the Run and Live & Let Die (which was bombastic). It renewed my appreciation for those Wings songs and for McCartney, in particular.
FlamingRuth
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by FlamingRuth »

Do you have this one, Bruce? Image

1.Another Day
2. Silly Love Songs
3.Live and Let Die
4.Junior's Farm
5. With A Little Luck
6.Band On The Run
7.Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
8.Hi Hi Hi
9. Let 'Em In
10. My Love
11. Jet
12. Mull of Kintyre

Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

ashorama wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:43 pm The only album that is worth anything from start to finish is the much-lauded Band on the Run. The rest . . . you just need the greatest hits.
I love Macca, but I have to agree with this. For me, "Wingspan" covers most of the bases:

In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

One of the great things about Wings is all the different styles they could do.

These are all the same lineup...

KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede »

Impressive chart-facts (U.S. market)
From 1971 through 1980, they produced eight Top 10 US LPs, including five chart-toppers. During that same period, the group landed 14 Top 10 singles—six of which captured the number-one spot. Perhaps even more remarkably, all 23 of Wings’ U.S. singles registered Top 40 hits. Over the years, the band won six Grammy Awards, while selling some 14 million records, which was plenty enough to earn seven platinum and nine gold discs along the way.
McCartney on Wings early albums...
As recently as May 2016, the former Beatle was lambasting Wings on a BBC special. “We were terrible,” he bluntly remarked. “We weren’t a good group.” When it came to Wings’ first pair of LPs, McCartney’s vitriol was on full display. “After I heard 'Wild Life,' which was Wings’ first album, I thought, ‘Hell. We have really blown it here.’ And the next one after that, 'Red Rose Speedway,' I couldn’t stand.”
Lennon on McCartneys Wings-project
....of all people, it was Lennon who understood Wings’ value even more implicitly than its founder ever could. As he observed in one of his final interviews, “I kind of admire the way Paul started back from scratch, forming a new band and playing in small dance halls.” As much as anyone, Lennon perceived the sheer amount of risk inherent in creating a band out of whole cloth in the wake of the Beatles’ juggernaut.
https://www.salon.com/2018/12/14/wings- ... cs-thinks/

Me: Love 'Band on the Run'-album.....as well as 'Mull of Kintyre'....they really played that a lot on radio back then....
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

FlamingRuth wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:45 am Do you have this one, Bruce?
Nope -- I do not. Is ths a record you own and enjoy, yourself?

The aforementioned All the Best McCartney compilation contains all of those Wings tracks with the notable exception of Hi Hi Hi and Mull of Kintyre. The UK version of All the Best, I believe, does.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

KrazySwede wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:49 pm Impressive chart-facts (U.S. market)
(...)
McCartney on Wings early albums...
(...)
Lennon on McCartneys Wings-project
(...)
Me: Love 'Band on the Run'-album.....as well as 'Mull of Kintyre'....they really played that a lot on radio back then....
That was an interesting read, thanks!
The doctor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The doctor »

In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

JupiterJones
Banned
Banned

Post by JupiterJones »

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Band on the Run always fascinated me for being a medley. I was never sure how it was intended to be perceived. Is it supposed to seem like one, contonuous song? Or rather, an eclectic hodgepodge in a forced marriage? It's not a fluid, seemless transition. I always kind of took it as a one man, three-act play, of sorts. And when you consider radio-edits of songs in the past, I am astounded that there was only ever the one version of Band on the Run.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

GrapeApe64
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by GrapeApe64 »

Check out Tug of War. It is a Classic LP.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Not really a fan of Admiral Halsey, to be honest. Too Beatlesque! And when they start with that Haaaaaaaands across the water .... wawderrrr ... I just ... I can't handle it, I'm sorry. Though, it appears that a 1993 reissuance of RAM has Another Day as one of two bonus tracks. Now, thats a sweet, little tune. I like that one ...
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

If we're going to include Ram then how about this gem?

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

When the woo-woo's kick in with the guitar twanging away with those overdubs ... yeah, I don't know. Doesn't do it for me.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Well, there's always this one. You can't go wrong with Heart of the Country.

acesmiddlefinger

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

Was a massive Wings fan before I discovered Kiss. Some fantastic songs in the back catalogue, too many to mention. Love him or loathe him McCartney is responsible for so many good songs over the years. The documentary of the Wings Over America trek is a great watch.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

"But over the years people have said, 'Aw, he sings love songs, he writes love songs, he's so soppy at times.' I thought, Well, I know what they mean, but, people have been doing love songs forever. I like 'em, other people like 'em, and there's a lot of people I love -- I'm lucky enough to have that in my life. So the idea was that you may call them silly, but what's wrong with that?

The song was, in a way, to answer people who just accuse me of being soppy. The nice payoff now is that a lot of the people I meet who are at the age where they've just got a couple of kids and have grown up a bit, settling down, they'll say to me, 'I thought you were really soppy for years, but I get it now! I see what you were doing!'

By the way, 'Silly Love Songs' also had a good bass line and worked well live."

— Paul McCartney
Billboard
Last edited by Bruce on Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tail of a hurricane

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

I could never get into the Wings or his solo albums. The hits were just annoying. “Coming up” especially.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

GrapeApe64 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:27 am Check out Tug of War. It is a Classic LP.
I thought I responded before -- I know I meant to ... my apologies. I appreciate the input, I really do. Ebony and Ivory is a song that's partucularly pertinent in this charged climate we find ourselves in, today.

You know, its such a shame, the tinny sound of previous decades is finally being shed from McCartney's music here, but the songs themselves ... they just don't grab me. Take It Away is on the verge of it, though.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

This is the best song on Tug of War.

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I have been getting all into Silly Love Songs, lately. I really don't know why. I think that part of it is all of the fuss the song makes celebrating what the other former Beatles termed as 'Granny Music" ... or worse! The little flourishes that aggrandize its subject matter. Like when Linda sings "... he gives it all to me/say can't you see?" and Paul interjects with, "... I like to." Compare to John Lennon's Woman, or Jealous Guy. He's just as sappy with the love talk! There is something embarassing about ballads. The unrelenting pandering, obviously. The violin strains. That Paul dares to ask "so ... whats wrong with that" kinda makes me wanna believe that the answer really is "nothing. Nothing at all." Definitely gotta be in the mood for it, though -- and boy, have I, ever!
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Silly Love Songs -- HD!

Silly Love Songs -- Live!

In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Silly Love Songs is a timeless classic. Perfect in every way.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

It can seem that way. But I have to knoooooow .... 'cause here I goooooooo .... uh-GAINNNNNNN!!!!
Den Dennis
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Den Dennis »

Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

Funnily enough I've just ordered a vinyl copy of 'The Art of McCartney'. Some good stuff on their.
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

Bruce wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:51 pm I have been getting all into Silly Love Songs, lately. I really don't know why. I think that part of it is all of the fuss the song makes celebrating what the other former Beatles termed as 'Granny Music" ... or worse!
Just to clarify, the term "Granny Music" doesn't refer to love songs. It refers Paul's songs that had a 1930's/40's feel to them, like "Honey Pie" or "When I'm 64". (Hint: If it's got a clarinet in it, it's Granny Music)

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

The 30's music reference had not occured to me! All this time, I thought Granny Music just meant something being commercial.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Wings 1976 interview. Selected, because of its relative brevity, the way it was shot and its use of Silly Love Songs ...