"Odyssey": Definitive Book On The Elder Coming Fall 2016

The KissFAQ "News" page generally only relates to matters of interest to the KissFAQ. There's no need to replicate news that can be seen on other KISS websites. Should you want official announcements please visit the band's official website at: KISSONLINE.COM.
greg2112
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Re: "Odyssey": Definitive Book On The Elder Coming Fall 2016

Post by greg2112 »

CAN. NOT. WAIT. for this.

Admin
Gettin' Uppity

Post by Admin »

Looking for a physical copy of the Italian magazine with this ad included...

Admin
Gettin' Uppity

Post by Admin »

Known to many as arch-villain "The Penguin" on 1960's "Batman" TV show, or Rocky Balboa's trainer, Mickey Goldmill, in the first three Rocky films, Burgess Meredith was one actor strongly considered for the roll as "narrator" for "The Elder." He had portrayed the poet Ammon in the 1981 movie, "Clash of the Titans."

69th_B1izard
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by 69th_B1izard »

Admin wrote:Image

Known to many as arch-villain "The Penguin" on 1960's "Batman" TV show, or Rocky Balboa's trainer, Mickey Goldmill, in the first three Rocky films, Burgess Meredith was one actor strongly considered for the roll as "narrator" for "The Elder." He had portrayed the poet Ammon in the 1981 movie, "Clash of the Titans."
He would have been perfect! As for the magazine you are looking for, I still say that looks like Grizzly Adams.

destroyerrnro
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by destroyerrnro »

redinthesky wrote:
Australia wrote:I believe those pre Elder sessions at ACEINTHEHOLE show Kiss had very little to work with, a new rock album would have been mediocre at best, and would have done nothing to lift Kiss fan base in the states.
The only solution was to get Bob Ezrin back to help with the songs, but unfortunatly the record company then stepped in and fucked the whole concept up, by removing important dialogue and song running order.
Nothing would have worked for Kiss in 1981, if it was released in 1978 (and they had beaten Pink Floyd to the Table) we would by now be watching THE ELDER MOVIE on blu ray.
The concept is fine, and has worked for 1000s of years dating back to JESUS CHRIST, and then more recently SUPERMAN and STAR WARS!
Music From THE ELDER returned Kiss to some of it's Heaviest Music since Hotter Than Hell, eg, The Oath, Only You/Under The Rose and Mr Blackwell, and then i will add Escape From and Dark Light as alternatives.
I guess if you did not live through Dynasty (perticularly IWMFLU) or Unmasked you can not understand the timming nor nature of this album, so maybe you will never get it, so stop trying, OR maybe listen to The Elder in context and play thru Dynasty, then Unmasked , AND THEN THE ELDER, you may see it differently.
If "The Elder" was released in 1978, when Kiss had a very definitive model of success, Kiss would have been laughed off the music scene with a worldwide cry of "what the fuck is this shit?"

The Elder was actually released at the best possible time, because in '81 Kiss was so lost and so clueless as a band, The Elder really didn't "disrupt" the Kiss formula because by then, Kiss was virtually dead anyway. So even with that advantage, The Elder was rightfully a bomb, because despite a song or two and some melodies it's an empty, overblown disaster that sounds like it's underwater even, and rightfully still the only studio album (not counting the past two with the current lineup) not to go gold, even after 34+ years (and no, it really hasn't). I know many like the album, and that's fine, again I like just a bit of it, and some try to make excuses why it was a huge failure (the timing, the recording, etc etc). But the bottom line is, it's just not really that good. And with bands like AC/DC, Priest, Van Halen and more giving the people what they really wanted, The Elder still makes you wonder just what the hell was wrong with these guys back then.
Red, I have to agree with most of what you said. As a fan dating back to 1975, I was initially concerned with Unmasked, and genuinly woried for the band, but it was The Smelder that kicked me hard in the stomach. I never gave up on the band and certainly didn't burn my Kiss Army member ID card, but I knew Kiss had hit absolute bottom with the Elder. Try as I did to love the album, it could not measure up by any stretch to some of the releases by the band's you mentioned.

That said, I am in line to purchase this book.
Last edited by destroyerrnro on Wed May 25, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NIGHTTHING
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by NIGHTTHING »

Holy ghost! That's surreal!

sugardaddy
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by sugardaddy »

69th_B1izard wrote:

He would have been perfect! As for the magazine you are looking for, I still say that looks like Grizzly Adams.

I agree. Burgess Meredith would have been an ideal choice.

120 Decibels Jr.

Post by 120 Decibels Jr. »

69th_B1izard wrote:

Dan-Haggerty.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brovarnmm
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by brovarnmm »

timstar78 wrote:And yes, Bob Ezrin has given us what we feel is the "definitive Elder" interview. We had an entire afternoon with Bob in Nashville and no questions were off-limits. I believe it to be the first time (including the album's promo campaign in 1981) Bob has discussed this particular album/period in such extensive detail -- in recent years, it's always been a question here, a question there. For that, we are extremely grateful to Bob.
This has me rubbing my palms together in anticipation. :)