Meeting the band members

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Eddie Van Hazel
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Meeting the band members

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

From the late 80's to the present, I've met the OG members many times (and most of the replacement members several times too).

The only two members I haven't met is Mark and Tommy...(hoping Tommy happens down the road).

They've all been great and cool to me. Sometimes it was a quick "hi/thanks/bye" situation
and there were times I was able to sit and conversate with them.

The most coolest and cordial was Eric Carr (1991). He was what everyone said he was.

My last meeting with Peter (March 2018) was above and beyond. Treated me like an old friend and to use one of his terms.."a real sweetheart".
He was totally different than he was in the times when I met him in the 90's.

Bruce has always been a great guy every time that I've met him, but there was one time where he was very distant,
a little rude and didn't want to be bothered. This was when he was a guest at the NJ/NY KISS expo (2000....?)

I found out later on that he had some personal family stuff going on and his band UNION was on their last legs..
..so I totally understood.

The George Sewitt stories are funny. I met him once at an NJ expo where Peter and Ace were the guests.
I guess this was around the time he was managing the both of them (1995..?)

I must have caught him on a good day because he was really nice and gregarious.
I had him sign a 16 Magazine Dynasty era photo of him with the band and he got a laugh out of it.
peterparker78
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by peterparker78 »

Met: Bill Aucion & Bruce Kulick, both were great, Eric S less so, bit of a d!ck TBH. Not met G&P but have heard from those who have.

Gene: he was met outside a hotel, a few fans there and he said "ok I've got 2 or 3 mins then I HAVE to go", happily signed stuff, as he was getting into the limo someone called "hey come on Gene, just one more". Gene, in all fairness replied "you see that's the trouble, it's ALWAYS 'just one more ' ", he had a point.

Paul 1: someone I know bought a guitar off him, PS10 / 400 Iceman I think, mid-1990's before all the mass guitar-selling started. Paul was just with his tech / body guard and pre-warned 'he'd only have few minutes'. Long story short, Paul asked what the guy could play, asked him to show him (Paul) who then spent 20 minutes or so giving tips, correcting mistakes and bascally a free Kiss guitar lesson. Sweet.

Paul 2: Another pal bumped into Paul, similar situation to Gene above and Paul was signing stuff when some poor soul's pen ran out - can you imagine :x ?! Well my mate happily lent his pen and, having got signed what he wanted, was chatting to someone when he was tapped on his shoulder "here's you pen back", he replied "just minute dude, I'm talking here". He got shoulder-tapped again, same reply. 3rd time, the voice said "hey, do you want your pen or not, I HAVE to go ?!". It was Paul :D ....
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

I have only met Bruce. It was at a fan run convention. He posed for pictures with me and gave me an autograph, all at no charge.
GeneSemens
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by GeneSemens »

I've met Gene, Paul, Peter, Ace, Bruce, Tommy, and Eric S.

Peter was genuine, friendly, and kind both times I met him. The definition of a cool cat.
I've met Gene quite a few times and he's always been cool too. He called me a powerful and attractive man so he's good in my book.
I see Paul around town somewhat often and he's always been cordial and polite when I've talked to him. I got to sell him guitar picks once, and he asked for my recommendation on picks and took my suggestion so that was a bit surreal.
Bruce is a good guy. My favorite time meeting him was when I was at a record store wearing my Kiss Army jacket, and he walked in and said "Hey, nice jacket!" We ended up talking a bit and it was a really memorable experience.
I see Tommy almost every year when I go to NAMM, but my favorite time meeting him was at a Queen+Adam Lambert concert. Tommy and Eric Singer went together. My brother had broken his leg, and the staff let him sit in the VIP section. They sat him right next to Tommy and Eric, and they ended up talking throughout the night and having a great time. After the show, my brother brought me over to meet them.

The only negative experience I've had with a Kiss member was with Ace. It was at a special event he did for Anomaly. When it was our turn to get the album signed, my girlfriend at the time asked him to sign the CD out to her. He ended up writing a completely different name on it. We told the handlers, and Ace refused to sign another one. He seemed like he didn't care at all to be around fans, which would be fine if it wasn't a paid event with the sole intention of meeting fans lol.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

GeneSemens wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:16 am I've met Gene, Paul, Peter, Ace, Bruce, Tommy, and Eric S.

Peter was genuine, friendly, and kind both times I met him. The definition of a cool cat.
I've met Gene quite a few times and he's always been cool too. He called me a powerful and attractive man so he's good in my book.
I see Paul around town somewhat often and he's always been cordial and polite when I've talked to him. I got to sell him guitar picks once, and he asked for my recommendation on picks and took my suggestion so that was a bit surreal.
Bruce is a good guy. My favorite time meeting him was when I was at a record store wearing my Kiss Army jacket, and he walked in and said "Hey, nice jacket!" We ended up talking a bit and it was a really memorable experience.
I see Tommy almost every year when I go to NAMM, but my favorite time meeting him was at a Queen+Adam Lambert concert. Tommy and Eric Singer went together. My brother had broken his leg, and the staff let him sit in the VIP section. They sat him right next to Tommy and Eric, and they ended up talking throughout the night and having a great time. After the show, my brother brought me over to meet them.

The only negative experience I've had with a Kiss member was with Ace. It was at a special event he did for Anomaly. When it was our turn to get the album signed, my girlfriend at the time asked him to sign the CD out to her. He ended up writing a completely different name on it. We told the handlers, and Ace refused to sign another one. He seemed like he didn't care at all to be around fans, which would be fine if it wasn't a paid event with the sole intention of meeting fans lol.
Best screen name ever
Vinniefan123
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Re:

Post by Vinniefan123 »

banks wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:53 am I've never met any of them. So, after reading reports from people who HAVE met these guys, what do I think? I think they are just like any of us. How nice or bad they are with people has a lot to do with how they feel at the moment, how interesting they think the other person is etc. They're just like the rest of us. I may be a jerk with one person on Monday and an angel with another on Tuesday.
When people pay to see them, of course the least they can do is be nice to these people, but when people happen to see them on the street or werever, they don't have an obligation to be nice; it's just like any other meeting between two strangers; and the reasons for how they act are the same as for any of us; how we are feeling, how we feel about the other person.
But some people are consistently nice and polite to others, no matter what their current mood is, and no matter how they feel about the other person. And some are nasty, no matter their mood on that day, and no matter how nice people are to them. Also it can just be something that happened in their life that makes them nasty, not a fault of the fan they’re meeting.
I am shocked when people meet a person for 60 seconds at a meet and greet the star is getting paid for, the star is “ nice” and the person concludes the star is a great person.......they probably are great, but I always keep in mind they’re getting paid and I can’t generalize their character just based on 60 seconds
banks

Re: Re:

Post by banks »

Vinniefan123 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:28 am
banks wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:53 am I've never met any of them. So, after reading reports from people who HAVE met these guys, what do I think? I think they are just like any of us. How nice or bad they are with people has a lot to do with how they feel at the moment, how interesting they think the other person is etc. They're just like the rest of us. I may be a jerk with one person on Monday and an angel with another on Tuesday.
When people pay to see them, of course the least they can do is be nice to these people, but when people happen to see them on the street or werever, they don't have an obligation to be nice; it's just like any other meeting between two strangers; and the reasons for how they act are the same as for any of us; how we are feeling, how we feel about the other person.
But some people are consistently nice and polite to others, no matter what their current mood is, and no matter how they feel about the other person. And some are nasty, no matter their mood on that day, and no matter how nice people are to them. Also it can just be something that happened in their life that makes them nasty, not a fault of the fan they’re meeting.
I am shocked when people meet a person for 60 seconds at a meet and greet the star is getting paid for, the star is “ nice” and the person concludes the star is a great person.......they probably are great, but I always keep in mind they’re getting paid and I can’t generalize their character just based on 60 seconds
You know, I don't remember writing ANY of that. :lol:
sneed78
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by sneed78 »

Peter was a prick.
Met em all cept Carr 😑
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

I have to say that I always enjoy reading the "I met Ace and..." stories.
..I don't know why, but I do.

There was a FAQ'er who wrote a very long (but entertaining) story about meeting Ace in 93 or 94.
It was pretty sad to read, but still interesting. Tried searching for it but I couldn't find it.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

I've met every member. They are all nice, but they're human too. They have their off days, their crummy moods and sometimes that is on display with the fans. Sometimes they have other things on their minds and honestly don't want to be bothered. Now you might say, well it comes with the job. True, but let's face it, if you're at the store or walking down the street and you have maybe 5-10 people a day coming up to you because they notice who you are eventually you're going to start getting upset. Sometimes the fans just want to say hi, and sometimes they want so much more..(autograph, photo, trying to have a conversation with you, getting all close and super excited, then that attitude gets even more people on the street to see what's going on with all the commotion).
I can honestly say that with all the times I've met them, there have never really been any times where they've been jerks. There have been times where I didn't get my stuff signed, or a photo with them. But looking back on it sometimes they just don't want to be bothered.
The meet and greets are the best to get them. The hotels kind of don't work anymore. Too many eBay people there, and they know it.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

sneed78 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:53 am Peter was a prick.
Met em all cept Carr 😑
That had to have been 20 years ago. He's the sweetest most sincere one now. His meet and greets are fantastic.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Re:

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

TommyB wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:51 pm met tommy, paul, eric, gene

tommy was the best and the nicest

worst was possibly eric
Surprised to hear this. Eric seems personable in his interviews.
Four-Who-Are-One
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

I've interviewed all four originals by phone, they were engaged because they had to be.

Went to a Gene meet and greet in 2002 where people paid $200 for two minutes of his time (luckily I got it for free). He was cordial.

The worst was an Ace meet and greet in 2018, he was irritable and impatient and due to his hearing impairment kept shouting "WHAT!?"
BeholderFan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BeholderFan »

I have met everyone in the band, except for Carr and Vincent.

Paul: He was just OK. I find him to be polite, but just cold.
Peter: He was in a bad mood. I met him and Gigi, around the time during the Farewell Tour, when Peter was wearing the teardrop on his makeup. It must have been when Peter and the band were having that dispute. Here I was with a KISS jacket and Gigi wanted to know "how I knew them?" WTF?

Ace: Awesome. I always enjoyed meeting him.
Gene: Very cool. Very nice.
Eric Singer: In the first meeting at a KISS Expo, he was a little crude, but from the second time onwards, he has been an absolute doll. Love Eric Singer.
Bruce Kulick: Great guy. Absolute sweetheart.
Mark: He was just meh.
Tommy: I had met him mostly when he was the road manager and then several times as the band's guitarist. He was nice as the road manager, but he is a total sweetie as the guitarist.
I_Gotta_Getaway
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by I_Gotta_Getaway »

I've "met" Peter, Vinnie, Gene, Paul, Bruce and Eric S. all in the 90's before official M&Gs. Best "conversation" was with Bruce. All were cordial. I "met" Gene, Paul, Tommy, Eric S., Peter and Ace in the last 5 years at various M&Gs. Peter was by far the best "conversation" spending time with each fan and really having a personal chat with each. Eric just cracked jokes about Gene's age. Gene and Paul both were friendly. Tommy said nothing, but to be fair, I didn't really speak to him either. Peter's signature from the 90's meeting was illegible but the recent one is awesome. Ace was quite chatty and even signed my album adding a few planets... which I asked him to do. He joked, I usually charge extra for that.

That said, these "meetings" were while they were at work and with a lot of other fans. I have never met them socially and I think that would be quite different. It is interesting to read peoples experiences meeting band members outside of an official event.
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

Ace: Not much to say, just sat there, wasn't mean or nice

Thayer: same as Ace

Singer right after Kiss fired him: nice and seemed just like an average, normal guy

Singer after he came back to Kiss: complete dick

Bruce: Nicest guy ever, seemed genuinely interested in how I was doing and what I was up to

Vinnie: same as Bruce, really nice and actually like a normal dude when you talk to him one on one
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

southernkiss wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:30 am I have only met Bruce. It was at a fan run convention. He posed for pictures with me and gave me an autograph, all at no charge.
Was it in Orlando? I met him at a REALLY small fan run thing, like literally 2 little tables, one with a guy selling 2 or 3 VHS bootlegs, another with someone selling "official" Kiss merch of the day, all in a tiny little room at a hotel, Bruce just sat there talking to people and did photos and autographs for free. That's when he told me about all the pro-shot videos Gene has of KISS and other bands that no one has seen
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

ZachAttack wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:26 pm
southernkiss wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:30 am I have only met Bruce. It was at a fan run convention. He posed for pictures with me and gave me an autograph, all at no charge.
Was it in Orlando? I met him at a REALLY small fan run thing, like literally 2 little tables, one with a guy selling 2 or 3 VHS bootlegs, another with someone selling "official" Kiss merch of the day, all in a tiny little room at a hotel, Bruce just sat there talking to people and did photos and autographs for free. That's when he told me about all the pro-shot videos Gene has of KISS and other bands that no one has seen
I met him in Charlotte.
kisshall2

Post by kisshall2 »

Coventry1973 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:28 am I've met every member. They are all nice, but they're human too. They have their off days, their crummy moods and sometimes that is on display with the fans. Sometimes they have other things on their minds and honestly don't want to be bothered. Now you might say, well it comes with the job. True, but let's face it, if you're at the store or walking down the street and you have maybe 5-10 people a day coming up to you because they notice who you are eventually you're going to start getting upset. Sometimes the fans just want to say hi, and sometimes they want so much more..(autograph, photo, trying to have a conversation with you, getting all close and super excited, then that attitude gets even more people on the street to see what's going on with all the commotion).
I can honestly say that with all the times I've met them, there have never really been any times where they've been jerks. There have been times where I didn't get my stuff signed, or a photo with them. But looking back on it sometimes they just don't want to be bothered.
The meet and greets are the best to get them. The hotels kind of don't work anymore. Too many eBay people there, and they know it.
Hats, sun glasses and cell phones cover up if they really need it. I watched Paul Stanley walk right past 10-15 fans at the Indy Convention a few years ago. Only had to put his phone to his face to get by everyone unnoticed. He was within 5 feet of some of them.

I don't think you can peruse an entertainers profession and have any real thoughts of staying private and not interacting with the people who support your life.
Vinniefan123
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Re:

Post by Vinniefan123 »

Jethrofinger wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:48 pm That is so cool that all of you got meet someone in Kiss. I'm 18 and I've been a fan since my dad passed nine year ago. I'm an aspiring music journalist now and interviewing any member of Kiss would be a dream come true.

Lucky for those who met Eric Carr and Mark...may they rest in peace :(
Sorry about your dad passing. Hopefully you will interview the band one day!
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

Reading all these stories, I'm jealous that I never got to meet any of the band members. It sounds like Gene and Tommy are the nicest of the bunch. I've actually softened my opinion on Gene, who I used to think was a prick. Tommy seems like just another guy you'd run into who is easy to shoot the shit with over a beer.

I can see where Eric has a little wise ass in him, but he seems to be an okay guy. Bruce strikes me as a sweetheart. Paul I can take or leave based on what I've seen and Peter and Ace, well I guess it depends on when you catch them.
Tail of a hurricane

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Ive met Bruce about 6 times. Always been a good guy.

Eric S was the same .

Doc McGee on the Live to win tour in '07 at tweed heads
Forevertj
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Forevertj »

I have met the current line up

and Vinnie.
Forevertj

Re:

Post by Forevertj »

PsychoKiss344 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:43 am Gene didnt seem to happy when I met him...this was 2008.

Great avatar man!
Forevertj

Post by Forevertj »

ZachAttack wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:26 pm

Orlando? Peterinorlando?
KisstineSixteen
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by KisstineSixteen »

Peter has become a really sweet guy. I mean I can’t speak to his behavior in the pre 2000’s but he is just very warm and genuine. He really comes off as appreciative when you speak to him. I think that sometimes people just go through a LOT of shit in their lives and that either humbles them or destroys them, I’m glad he went the better way.
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

Coventry1973 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:30 am
sneed78 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:53 am Peter was a prick.
Met em all cept Carr 😑
That had to have been 20 years ago. He's the sweetest most sincere one now. His meet and greets are fantastic.
Yep May of ‘92 when he was playing to 20 people a night with CRISS and taking his frustrations out on the fans who DID show up. The Paul Stanley wannabe he had playing guitar was a douche and constantly kissed Peter’s ass. His bass player, Mark was cool as hell though and was apologetic and embarrassed by Peter’s behavior.

Nowadays Pete gets paid to be nice lol