I'm Gonna Love You : Peter Criss

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Ludwig Paiste 77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

I'm Gonna Love You : Peter Criss

Post by Ludwig Paiste 77 »

I'm Gonna Love You, the snare drum sound, vocal delivery, and groove are so far out I've love this tune since the first time I heard it, a positive vibe and a killer snare drum sound that only the Catman can hit and sing and sound convincingly smooth, and Rock!
Man of a Thousand Aces
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: I'm Gonna Love You : Peter Criss

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

8)
Mr. Kiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Mr. Kiss »

Ludwig Paiste 77 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:58 pm I'm Gonna Love You, the snare drum sound, vocal delivery, and groove are so far out I've love this tune since the first time I heard it, a positive vibe and a killer snare drum sound that only the Catman can hit and sing and sound convincingly smooth, and Rock!

Agreed. Overall, I think time has been kinder to Peter's solo album than it gets credit for. Frankly, it sounds like he had a blast recording it.

If nothing else, he proudly (and credibly) wore his musical influences on his sleeve throughout the album. Three out of five stars. :|
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

I love it. :thumleft:
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Ludwig Paiste 77 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:58 pm I'm Gonna Love You, the snare drum sound, vocal delivery, and groove are so far out I've love this tune since the first time I heard it, a positive vibe and a killer snare drum sound that only the Catman can hit and sing and sound convincingly smooth, and Rock!

Absolutely!! I always think the snare sound on this song is classic Peter Criss! Really good, understated song. Love it!
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

I've always loved this one.
🎶"Rain....or come shine" 🎵
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

Fantastic song. Great opener!
kenn.ace

Post by kenn.ace »

Awesome song
torgotheme
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by torgotheme »

His first drawn-out "cuz Iiiiiiiii-reeeeeally love you" is gold. The true soul man of KISS.
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Tallbear13 »

Love that song
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Agreed. Always loved this song.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

I'm Gonna Love You and You Matter to Me are a great duo of songs. They're the only two listenable songs on the album (I Can't Stop the Rain is a fine composition but the overblown arrangement and production ruin it).
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by jannep17 »

I keep saying this, Vini Poncia did Kiss a favour with great production on Peter Criss, Dynasty and Unmasked.
His production breathes, it's clear and crisp.
Sweet Pain
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Sweet Pain »

+1 I love I'm Gonna Love You

Rain or sunshine.

Also- That's The Kinda Sugar Papa Likes

I too like sugar.

Sweet sweet sugar

& Brown Sugar too.

Rolling Stones song.
lespaul

Post by lespaul »

i love it !
px74

Post by px74 »

Mr. Kiss wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:16 pm

Agreed. Overall, I think time has been kinder to Peter's solo album than it gets credit for. Frankly, it sounds like he had a blast recording it.

If nothing else, he proudly (and credibly) wore his musical influences on his sleeve throughout the album. Three out of five stars. :|
That's three more stars than Paul gave it in Goldmine!
KF73
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by KF73 »

I try so hard to like this record, but I can't get into it. I even tried a few weeks back. I gotta try again.
Hi I'm Witz

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

jannep17 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:15 pm I keep saying this, Vini Poncia did Kiss a favour with great production on Peter Criss, Dynasty and Unmasked.
Ive always loved Poncia's production in KISS, especially Dynasty. While its a little light in guitar crunch, it makes up for it in bottom end power and punch! His production really stands out among the rest of the KISS catalogue and his albums sound great when cranked loud (the true test of great production/mixing imo).

Its well known on here that I HATE Unmasked but it has nothing to do with Mr. Poncia and the sound of the album. It's the songs. I'm just not a fan of any of them except Naked City.

Im fine with Peter's solo album. Its not my favorite but I do spin it once in a while. My biggest gripe with it is there's absolutely nothing on it you can really sink your teeth into or count as something that would fit in on a KISS record. Now I reañize that isnt important to some, however as someone who loves to make compilations and "alternate universe" albums, Peter's 78 album poses a huge issue for me for this reason.
Last edited by Hi I'm Witz on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:46 am
jannep17 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:15 pm I keep saying this, Vini Poncia did Kiss a favour with great production on Peter Criss, Dynasty and Unmasked.
Ive always loved Poncia's production in KISS, especially Dynasty. While its a little light in guitar crunch, it makes up for it in bottom end power and punch! His production really stands out among the rest of the KISS catalogue and his albums sound great when cranked loud (the true test of great production/mixing imo).

Its well known on here that I HATE Unmasked but it has nothing to do with Mr. Poncia and the sound of the album. It's the songs. I'm just not a fan of any of them except Naked City.

Im fine with Peter's solo album. Its not my favorite but I do spin it once in a while. My biggest gripe with it is there's absolutely nothing on it you can really sink your teeth into our count as something that would fit in on a KISS record. Now I reañize that isnt important to some, however as someone who loves to make compilations and "alternate universe" albums, Peter's 78 album poses a huge issue for me for this reason.
Yeah, Dynasty is the best one, production wise.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Hate to admit it, but I've always dug this song. Horns are great too.

The guitar riff during the quick chorus is very similar to "Dirty Livin".
j2m1979

Post by j2m1979 »

Great song!
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

px74 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:24 am

Then Paul puts out his tripe 43 years later and that's heartfelt and sincere.... unlike Peter back in 1978.
67Kiss
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by 67Kiss »

Good tune, I like probably half the album. I have no problem that it doesn't sound like Kiss, I just think most of the songs aren't great.
jr196301
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by jr196301 »

Im fine with Peter's solo album. Its not my favorite but I do spin it once in a while. My biggest gripe with it is there's absolutely nothing on it you can really sink your teeth into or count as something that would fit in on a KISS record. Now I reañize that isnt important to some, however as someone who loves to make compilations and "alternate universe" albums, Peter's 78 album poses a huge issue for me for this reason.
Although Vini is an accomplished producer, I thought his influence on Dynasty and Unmasked put the final bullets into the dying beast. His compressed sound gave the guitars an almost Disney quality to them. Kind of like the rock and roll Chachi and Potsie would play on Happy Days. Same sound. In order to be more pop, he had to remove any grit and crunch that we heard on RARO especially and to a degree Love Gun although I think Eddie Kramer misfired on the Love Gun sound too. Don't know what happened. Very thin sounding. Side 4 of Alive 2 was much, much better. Yes, Destroyer didn't have as much grit but Ezrin made them sound HUGE. It was powerful. With that being said, I love the actual songs on Dynasty and Unmasked and wonder what they'd sound like with the classic KISS sound
banks

Post by banks »

A great song.
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

I simply love this track, so uplifting.
Evo999

Post by Evo999 »

I love this song.
Mr. Kiss

Post by Mr. Kiss »

px74 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:24 am

Yeah, I know. Funny though, Peter's '78 album completely buries Soul Station. But I digress. :wink:
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

Always loved this song
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

jr196301 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:45 am

Although Vini is an accomplished producer, I thought his influence on Dynasty and Unmasked put the final bullets into the dying beast. His compressed sound gave the guitars an almost Disney quality to them. Kind of like the rock and roll Chachi and Potsie would play on Happy Days. Same sound. In order to be more pop, he had to remove any grit and crunch that we heard on RARO especially and to a degree Love Gun although I think Eddie Kramer misfired on the Love Gun sound too. Don't know what happened. Very thin sounding. Side 4 of Alive 2 was much, much better. Yes, Destroyer didn't have as much grit but Ezrin made them sound HUGE. It was powerful. With that being said, I love the actual songs on Dynasty and Unmasked and wonder what they'd sound like with the classic KISS sound
I agree that Vini took them in a very polished direction but I always loved the guitar sound on Dynasty. I think the guitars come across much better on the original vinyl than they do on subsequent CD/digital releases. Still not heavy but certainly more gritty.

I agree with you about the sound on Love Gun.
L1

Post by L1 »

Excellent song!
L1

Post by L1 »

Excellent song!
gothunder

Post by gothunder »

Love the whole album.
kingotnw
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kingotnw »

When I was a little kid I grouped music into two categories. Music I liked, and music I didn’t. My dad loved big band and swing music so I heard and liked lots of it. Peter’s album has always been a good album to me. It probably got the most play out of all of them when I was a kid.
b2b2b
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by b2b2b »

Eddie Van Hazel wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:01 am The guitar riff during the quick chorus is very similar to "Dirty Livin".
I noticed this very thing this morning! How ridiculous that it took me decades to make the connection, only to discover that someone here posted about it three weeks ago.
GACatmandu

Post by GACatmandu »

I'm Gonna Love You is my least favorite song on the album, heck it may be my least favorite song Peter ever released in his career.
DOUBLE DYNASTY

Post by DOUBLE DYNASTY »

Great song
stutterer

Post by stutterer »

What can I say? There's not a bad song on that album.
gothunder

Post by gothunder »

:salut:
Robdaddy

Post by Robdaddy »

I loved this album when I got it for Christmas in 1978. I guess it helped that even at a young age, I already liked more than just hard rock. Jazz, R&B, Motown, singer-songwriters…I loved all kinds of music. I wasn’t stuck on some “what the hell…this isn’t KISS” train of thought. No judgment of others, though. To each their own.

Over the years, I grew to dislike Peter the person (at least the 1970s to early 2000s version) a great deal as I learned more about him and his shenanigans. But I always loved the 78 solo album. It’s the best album he’s ever done. It’s true to his roots and true to himself. It’s also well-produced. To this day, I listen to it often.
100,000 beers
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by 100,000 beers »

Great song...
mamado

Post by mamado »

Turd. :flower:
B5Erik
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

This is one of the few songs on Peter Criss '78 that I actually like.
Ludwig Paiste 77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

I appreciate everyone's feedback its been very informal, Wicked!
Ludwig Paiste 77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

mamado wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:11 pm Turd. :flower:
Last edited by Ludwig Paiste 77 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

Ludwig Paiste 77 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:34 pm
You have the most insecure lame avatar or whatever it is, you should be BANNED
You gotta be kidding.
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

Great tune.

I love it and his entire ‘78 solo album.

It’s the only thing that Peter has released solo-wise that’s not completely cringe-inducingly amateur hour-ish.

Peter likes to believe that KISS fans hate on One For All because they “don’t get” that style of music... but his ‘78 solo album blows that tone deaf, clueless theory outta the water.

Peter needs to be surrounded by the right people in order to make something that’s worth listening to.

The only time that ever happened was in his 1970’s heyday (Black Diamond, Beth, Hard Luck Woman, his ‘78 solo record, etc.)

But later on, Ezrin and Stanley couldn’t help him with that totally forced abomination, I Finally Found My Way, so maybe I’m full of shit and it was just all luck as usual...

Anyways, great tune.
Ludwig Paiste 77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

redinthesky wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:18 pm
Ludwig Paiste 77 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:34 pm
Ludwig Paiste 77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!