KISS songs that would have sounded better sung by a different member of the band.

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Legsofsteel
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

KISS songs that would have sounded better sung by a different member of the band.

Post by Legsofsteel »

Tomorrow and Tonight would have sounded great with Peter Criss as the lead vocalist.
stutterer
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: KISS songs that would have sounded better sung by a different member of the band.

Post by stutterer »

I only like Detroit Rock City when Ace sang it in the 90s.
weboes
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Re: KISS songs that would have sounded better sung by a different member of the band.

Post by weboes »

I don't know if they would have been better but I would have loved to hear Ace do his pre Shock Me songs. I wish there was a version of Paul singing All for the Glory.
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by jannep17 »

More songs with Peter, in general. Other than that, I'm good.
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

jannep17 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:57 am More songs with Peter, in general. Other than that, I'm good.
I agree.
I have no complaints about Paul’s vocals on Got to Choose, for example, but in my mind, I can hear Peter singing it, and man does it sound good.....I imagine the same with Rock Bottom ...and Ladies Room....maybe even Two Timer.

The only songs I don’t imagine being improved with Peter’s vocals are Ace’s.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Hopefully not too much off topic, but I'd have loved to have heard a Gene sung version of Vinnie's "Animal". That song was, IIRC, in the running for what would become Animalize. Maybe even the title track!
Ludwig Paiste 77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Ludwig Paiste 77 »

The vocals on their songs and who sang them is one of my favorite musical things I love about KISS. I wouldn't change who sang what from 73-92. I love when Paul and Gene would sing verses together on the first two records and Alive. To me the KISS vocals were always one of their strengths.
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

Ace - Cold Gin
Peter - Then She Kissed Me
Carr - Under The Rose
Vinnie - On The 8th Day
Ace - Hold Me, Touch Me
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

jannep17 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:57 am More songs with Peter, in general. Other than that, I'm good.
+1
So Cruel
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by So Cruel »

Comin Home - Peter Criss
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

Legsofsteel wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:38 am Tomorrow and Tonight would have sounded great with Peter Criss as the lead vocalist.
Yes!
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

Ludwig Paiste 77 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:20 pm The vocals on their songs and who sang them is one of my favorite musical things I love about KISS. I wouldn't change who sang what from 73-92. I love when Paul and Gene would sing verses together on the first two records and Alive. To me the KISS vocals were always one of their strengths.
I agree but would love to hear Eric Carr singing 'Young And Wasted' on LIU.
sagedrummer
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sagedrummer »

Flaming Youth sung by Ace
miinsane
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by miinsane »

sneed78 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:26 pm Carr - Under The Rose
Gotta disagree with this one. I think "Under The Rose" was one of Gene's best vocal moments.
Ludwig Paiste 77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

sagedrummer wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:57 pm Flaming Youth sung by Ace
I can dig and see Ace singing nonchalant, My parents think I'm crazy and they hate the things I do, I'm stupid and I'm lazy man. .....however Stanley sings it very convincingly!
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

miinsane wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:46 pm
sneed78 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:26 pm Carr - Under The Rose
Gotta disagree with this one. I think "Under The Rose" was one of Gene's best vocal moments.
Yes Gene does a killer job, but I could totally imagine Carr’s “Beth type” vocal on it too (plus the fact that he came up with the initial idea for the song and it would’ve been a great way to debut the new drummer’s voice on his first album with the band).
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

Ludwig Paiste 77 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:56 pm
I can dig and see Ace singing nonchalant, My parents think I'm crazy and they hate the things I do, I'm stupid and I'm lazy man. .....however Stanley sings it very convincingly!
I’ve always thought this song would’ve been a great first lead vocal from Ace on a KISS album.

Besides his songwriting credit on it, the verse lyrics even fit how his “parents” (P&G) viewed his contributions at the time...
Ludwig Paiste 77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

sneed78 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:17 pm
Ludwig Paiste 77 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:56 pm
I’ve always thought this song would’ve been a great first lead vocal from Ace on a KISS album.

Besides his songwriting credit on it, the verse lyrics even fit how his “parents” (P&G) viewed his contributions at the time...
I can dig it totally, wicked cool!
Soylent Gene

Post by Soylent Gene »

Odyssey - Gene
JoseOlvera013
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by JoseOlvera013 »

Paul singing Beth would sound interesting.

Not sure if it would've sounded better.
Strutterer
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Strutterer »

I think Paul could handle Calling Dr. Love. It would change the tone a bit, but his vocals would work.

I'd like to hear Peter sing 100,000 Years, just for some variety. Peter could also bang out Comin' Home in my mind.
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Going Blind »

Cold Gin sung by Pete.
Put the sex in my ex
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Put the sex in my ex »

Nothin to lose Peter..
Two timer Peter
Let me go rock n roll Peter

"So long" Peter (I would have liked to have seen that it was another song in the style of Hard luck woman. They could have used that song on Love gun instead of "Then she kissed me" )
steve
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by steve »

jannep17 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:57 amMore songs with Peter, in general. Other than that, I'm good.
Yer KILLIN' me over here!
Greasepaint74
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Greasepaint74 »

Odyssey is more suited for Gene’s range, I think
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

The "backstage passes and black sunglasses" section on Do You Love Me sounds like it was written for Ace. All those wide Brooklyn vowels.

More generally, I think everyone who was in KISS should've had at least one vocal on every album they played on.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

steve wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:05 am
jannep17 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:57 amMore songs with Peter, in general. Other than that, I'm good.
I do, indeed.
Red_Walrus
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Red_Walrus »

Peter...Rockin' in the USA
Ace of Bass
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Ace of Bass »

steve wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:05 am
Besides “Beth,” replace everything Peter song with anyone else. Even “Beth” is off key in parts, but you can’t mess with it and not run the risk of KISS going *poof*. I love and appreciate the Cat, but he’s so tone deaf it’s distracting. The guy has a soulful quality to his voice, but the man needed some help that he never got.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

sneed78 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:26 pm Ace - Hold Me, Touch Me
That would’ve been interesting on Paul's solo album... Paul could've returned the favor and did the lead vocals on Fracured Mirror on Ace's album...
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

joma5477 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:28 pm
sneed78 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:26 pm Ace - Hold Me, Touch Me
That would’ve been interesting on Paul's solo album... Paul could've returned the favor and did the lead vocals on Fracured Mirror on Ace's album...
Supertrooper
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Supertrooper »

I always wished "Burn bitch burn" was sung by Mark St. John.