Doc McGhee: Last-Ever Concert Will Now Take Place At The End Of 2022

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Doc McGhee: Last-Ever Concert Will Now Take Place At The End Of 2022

Post by StillAlive »

KISS Manager Says Band's Last-Ever Concert Will Now Take Place At The End Of 2022
September 23, 2021

KISS's longtime manager Doc McGhee says that he doesn't know exactly when the final concert of the band's "End Of The Road" tour will take place.

KISS launched its farewell trek in January 2019 but was forced to put it on hold last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"End Of The Road" was originally scheduled to conclude on July 17, 2021 in New York City but has since been extended to 2022. The trek was announced in September 2018 following a KISS performance of the band's classic song "Detroit Rock City" on "America's Got Talent".

"We were supposed to end this year — actually, in July — but because of the COVID stopping us from doing the touring, it set us back a year and a half," McGhee told Talking Metal in a new interview (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET). "So it looks like the last show of KISS as you know it, with Gene [Simmons] and Paul [Stanley], will be some time at the end of next year. We don't have a locked in date yet. Because of what's going on, it's very difficult for people to hold dates because we don't even know if we're gonna be able to play. So we're trying to hold dates. But it will be next year.

"We wanna get through what we said," Doc continued. "The guys wanted to play to everybody. It meant we'll go to your town, big or small. We're not the red-carpet band that you have to come out. We've always been the people's band in the sense that the KISS Army that supported us for all these years, we go to all the little towns to play."

KISS's current lineup consists of original members Stanley and Simmons, alongside later band additions, guitarist Tommy Thayer (since 2002) and drummer Eric Singer (on and off since 1991).

Formed in 1973 by Stanley, Simmons, drummer Peter Criss and lead guitarist Ace Frehley, KISS staged its first "farewell" tour in 2000, the last to feature the group's original lineup.

Two years ago, McGhee said during a question-and-answer session on the ninth annual "Kiss Kruise" that KISS was open to reuniting with all former members at the final gig. "We want to include everybody that played with KISS to celebrate the 45 years of KISS," he said. "And everybody — Vinnie Vincent and everybody else — that [has] played with KISS is part of this whole celebration of 45 years. So, we're still looking at what we're gonna do on the final show of KISS."

According to McGhee, Frehley and Criss have both "been talked to" about participating in some form. But, he acknowledged, "It's pretty difficult. When people say, 'Oh, you should bring Ace and Peter up.' How do you do that when you have two Catmen and two Spacemen? So you say, 'Okay. You don't wear makeup and you wear makeup.' And then they [Ace and Peter] go, 'Well, that was my makeup.' I don't know. So it's real hard to do, but we'll figure it out because they're very much a part of the heritage of KISS. And they're acknowledged by Gene and Paul and everybody in this room as the founding members… So. it's important to you guys [and] it's important to us. It's just a matter of the balance and we can bring it where it works for everybody and everybody is having a great time."

In early 2019, Stanley told Australia's "Sunday Night" that "Rock And Roll All Nite" "has to be" the song that KISS performs as the last encore at the final concert of the "End Of The Road" tour. "That is the rock anthem that connects the world," he explained. "It was the start of other people coming up with anthems. They really didn't exist, per se. So, 'Rock And Roll All Nite And Party Every Day', that's a song that just connects with people on all different levels."

Simmons concurred, telling BUILD Series: "How do you not end with 'Rock And Roll All Nite'? We will have played that song, probably without exception, more than any other song we've ever been involved with. You might say, 'Aren't you sick and tired of hearing that?' But I will tell you the roar of the crowd, the smell of the grease paint, there ain't nothing like it. When you hear everybody getting jazzed about that and you get off the stage... [it's] like the fire in the belly. You're dog-tired; you've just done a big show; and you get up on that stage, when you see the joy in everybody's face... We've seen it all. We've been around for generations, but when you see a little 5-year-old kid in KISS makeup on his dad's shoulders who's wearing KISS makeup, next to his father... we're badass kind of guys — nothing affects us much — but that stuff will put a lump in your throat. You have to turn around for a second. It gets me. Yes, it's music, but it's generational, and it brings families together instead of separates [sic] them."

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kiss- ... d-of-2022/
richardsimmons
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Re: Doc McGhee: Last-Ever Concert Will Now Take Place At The End Of 2022

Post by richardsimmons »

Very cool. I hope it’s in the cards for me to attend in NYC. 🤞 ✈️
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

KISS 2022 Goodbye Live Stream and DVD wait...oh wait.
wjs296
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by wjs296 »

I hope NYC is the location, that is close for me. Doc does say "near the end of next year" which may eliminate an outdoor show due to the weather. MSG would be a great way to end it if that is true.
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

“So it looks like the last show of Kiss as you know it, with Gene and Paul, will be sometime next year.” 😳

Are they really going to make good on their promise of offering a Kiss 2.0 without Gene and without Paul to carry on after the EOTR???
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

They will play those Vegas shows though, that's odds on I reckon.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

Assuming it’s safe to travel & I have dough…Would attend the “last” gig in NYC. (or LA?)

Would see G$B in Vegas afterwards too.
HOFCity
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by HOFCity »

Let's be honest,

Seeing younger, hungrier musicians on stage would be a breathe of fresh air.
DaveinSpain
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by DaveinSpain »

Kiss is scheduled for Madrid July 3rd next year and Barcelona July 4th so they definitely won't end their tour in Europe. Perhaps a September show at Citi field? Hasn't the talk been about the last show at Citi field. Can't do that in November it'll be too cold in NYC for an outdoor show. But who knows. I like the idea of MSG but for the last show I think it should be a stadium in NYC where it all started. Have they ever played a stadium in NYC? Yankee stadium or MetLife? I don't think they have I think it's always MSG but I think the last one could sell out a stadium but they gotta think of the weather. Ya can't do an outdoor gig in the north east in winter and it would just be wrong if they don't play the last show in NYC...on a side note will it really be the last show? Won't they still do these Kiss cruises? Maybe the last full on makeup and explosions but those kiss cruises seem to do well and I imagine less taxing on them physically. And as far as a kiss 2.0 I don't like that idea it's just a tribute band endorsed by them is all with them officially licencing their brand. I've no intrest in that especially new music by 4 guys dressed up as kiss. But that's just my opinion.
KIDGEO3

Post by KIDGEO3 »

alivecatman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:38 pm KISS 2022 Goodbye Live Stream and DVD wait...oh wait.
LET'S GET THE SHIT FROM THE FIRST PACKAGE FIRST!!!!!
Ace of Bass
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Ace of Bass »

alivecatman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:38 pm KISS 2022 Goodbye Live Stream and DVD wait...oh wait.
Not until after “KI$$ed in Kabul” and “Pyro in Pyongyang.”
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

HOFCity wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:29 pm Let's be honest,

Yes. However,NOT calling themselves Kiss. Something else,something related...fine. And trust me,the fans will not back it as Kiss in a big way.
KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by KISSFACE »

In early 2019, Stanley told Australia's "Sunday Night" that "Rock And Roll All Nite" "has to be" the song that KISS performs as the last encore at the final concert of the "End Of The Road" tour.
I think Let Me Go, Rock N Roll is still the better finish, just like it was on Alive!
DaveinSpain wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:40 pm I've no intrest in that especially new music by 4 guys dressed up as kiss. But that's just my opinion.
If they’re freaking great, they may change your opinion.
wjs296
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by wjs296 »

LoveGun77 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:54 pm

Yes. However,NOT calling themselves Kiss. Something else,something related...fine. And trust me,the fans will not back it as Kiss in a big way.
I agree, Kiss 2.0 isn't going to be a major draw. Without G&P, it will never be the same and the fans know it.
JohnBergless

Post by JohnBergless »

KISSFACE wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:10 pm
In early 2019, Stanley told Australia's "Sunday Night" that "Rock And Roll All Nite" "has to be" the song that KISS performs as the last encore at the final concert of the "End Of The Road" tour.
I think Let Me Go, Rock N Roll is still the better finish, just like it was on Alive!
DaveinSpain wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:40 pm I've no intrest in that especially new music by 4 guys dressed up as kiss. But that's just my opinion.
Damnit. Here come those pesky Blue Man Group thoughts into my pea brain again.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

wjs296 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:10 pm

I agree, Kiss 2.0 isn't going to be a major draw. Without G&P, it will never be the same and the fans know it.
This crap of "it's already a tribute band now" that some spew: with Gene and Paul in the band,it will never be that way. Some feel that way,but I don't. And 2.0 is fine on a small scale. Will never be big IMO
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

scottbassist wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:38 pm “So it looks like the last show of Kiss as you know it, with Gene and Paul, will be sometime next year.” 😳

Are they really going to make good on their promise of offering a Kiss 2.0 without Gene and without Paul to carry on after the EOTR???
Gene and Paul would not want other people in the Demon and Starchild makeup.
b2b2b
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by b2b2b »

Why not January 30, 2023?
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

b2b2b wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:38 pm Why not January 30, 2023?
That would be cool. However, an outdoor stadium show in New York would not work in January.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Wish it would happen this year
SaintN'Sinner83

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

Why miss the 50th anniversary mark?
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:54 pm Why miss the 50th anniversary mark?
They won't miss it. Some time after the "final show" as the 50th anniversary (of the first album release) approaches, there will be rumors and then at least one show announced. Gene and Paul would never not take advantage of a 50th.
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Going Blind »

wjs296 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:10 pm

For me it would only work if Kiss 2.0 isn't merely replicating what current Kiss is doing or the obvious 1977 Kiss. I would love it if Kiss 2.0 was a bunch of young dudes replicating 1973-1974. Cheap ass costumes and no fancy stage sets. I love that version of Kiss so much, before they hit it big.
Miss Kitty
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Miss Kitty »

How many "last ever" concerts have they had now?
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Going Blind »

redinthesky wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:03 pm
SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:54 pm Why miss the 50th anniversary mark?
They won't miss it. Some time after the "final show" as the 50th anniversary (of the first album release) approaches, there will be rumors and then at least one show announced. Gene and Paul would never not take advantage of a 50th.
More likely the box set of the first album will be announced then. Somehow I don't even see a show just doing the entirety of the first album really working in this case. I don't think the album is iconic enough for the casual fan for the band to go out and celebrate it in that way.
Can't wait to see what the Hotter Than Hell box and Dressed to Kill box sets entail (hopefully they are in the works).
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Ford Field now becomes a more logical choice...
Soylent Gene

Post by Soylent Gene »

Tymaster wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:46 am Ford Field now becomes a more logical choice...
Do you really think that KISS, particularly this version of KISS, can sell enough tickets to fill a venue the size of Ford Field? Doesn’t matter if it’s their “last show ever”, they couldn’t give away enough tickets for free to fill that place. This isn’t 1996 and this isn’t the original lineup.
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

50th anniversary Vegas residency engagement :D
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

scottbassist wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:38 pm “So it looks like the last show of Kiss as you know it, with Gene and Paul, will be sometime next year.” 😳
It can only mean one thing!!!!
spaceace1977
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by spaceace1977 »

Can't stand Doc.

His only concept of KISS in 25 years is that "we like to blow shit up"
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

I'll believe it when I see it.
DaveinSpain
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by DaveinSpain »

[/quote]

Your right it is possible, but my musical taste has changed alot over the years. I'm a absolute nut for original Kiss, but not a fan of any of their other material. If Kiss 2.0 can recreate the vibes of the 70's stuff absolutely I may fall right in love with it. I suppose you can never say never.
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

I thought this was the end of "touring"...not concerts all together. Aren't there interviews somewhere where they say they could still make one-off appearances?
vantheman77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by vantheman77 »

I was hoping they'd end it on January 2023 - the 50th Anniversary of the band's formation.