KISS Nostalgia Band - why?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
sicksickphil
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: KISS Nostalgia Band - why?

Post by sicksickphil »

Berninio wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:46 pm As it is pretty clear, KISS is purely a nostalgia band since 2000 (maybe even before that). Why did G&P stop being creative and putting out new KISS music? If you look at bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden that have reunited and have been around for as long as KISS (JP longer, IM shorter), they are still creating new music and moving the bands forward. So, why couldn't/wouldn't G&P do that? Motörhead, Saxon, Accept, Scorpions, Rush, yeah even bands like Motley Crue, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, etc. (to a lesser extend) brought out new albums fairly regularly.
As a musician on any level creating new music is once bread and butter, therefore I don't get the 'stop being creative" thing from G&P.
Well Priest only put out one or two more albums than kiss did since 1989, rush has put one more and kiss put out more than Van Halen and Crue since then.
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Going Blind »

nibbler1982 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:53 am
Going Blind wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:22 am
misterhand80 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:04 pm
StillAlive wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:08 pm Nostalgia sells.
Look at recent setlists from other huge acts (Elton John, Billy Joel, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, etc.).
People aren't attending for the new songs.

p.s. the record industry is a dumpster fire
In 2021 Genesis is wheeling Phil Collins on stage and he performs while seated. Genesis have not had a new album since 1997. Their last album with Phil was released in 1991 -- 30 years ago.
Would be great to put Pete back in front, and Phil behind the drums. Put some crazy costume on Pete and it would be magic. But I have to assume Phil cannot even play the drums at this point.
He can’t. He hasn’t been able to for many years.

Love Pete. And I love your scenario. As long as the set list is laden Peter Gabriel Genesis songs. If it is that WILL NOT go over with the paying consumers. If you want to hear those songs just go see Steve Hackett’s “Genesis Revisited” show at a theater near you. To me, When The Heart Rules The Mind is worth the price of admission alone.

Oh I get that most people wouldn't care for the Gabriel era nowadays, They want to hear "illegal alien" and I can't dance" as opposed to "Suppers Ready" or Watcher of the Skies" lol. Just a fantasy of mine.
Tito

Post by Tito »

KingOfHearts89 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:58 am 2015 - Album with Japanese group
Album? 🤔 Have I missed something?
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by jannep17 »

Tito wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:00 am
EP with six tracks (three tracks + three instrumental versions).
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

Tito wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:00 am
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yume-No-Ukiyo- ... B00PPWML96
Tito

Post by Tito »

Yeah that's not an album.
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

Going Blind wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:20 am
misterhand80 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:04 pm

In 2021 Genesis is wheeling Phil Collins on stage and he performs while seated. Genesis have not had a new album since 1997. Their last album with Phil was released in 1991 -- 30 years ago.
Would be great to put Pete back in front, and Phil behind the drums. Put some crazy costume on Pete and it would be magic. But I have to assume Phil cannot even play the drums at this point.

Love Pete. And I love your scenario. As long as the set list is laden Peter Gabriel Genesis songs. If it is that WILL NOT go over with the paying consumers. If you want to hear those songs just go see Steve Hackett’s “Genesis Revisited” show at a theater near you. To me, When The Heart Rules The Mind is worth the price of admission alone.
Oh I get that most people wouldn't care for the Gabriel era nowadays, They want to hear "illegal alien" and I can't dance" as opposed to "Suppers Ready" or Watcher of the Skies" lol. Just a fantasy of mine.
Brah…blame Peter. Throughout the years the other four are always up for it. It’s PG that always squashed it. He’s always out saving the whales or something. Either way, come December I’ll be at UBS and MSG with bells on.

One can always dream.
53077243-BFA6-4E4F-B359-02F5A8709B78.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Going Blind »

nibbler1982 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:54 am
Going Blind wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:20 am

Brah…blame Peter. Throughout the years the other four are always up for it. It’s PG that always squashed it. He’s always out saving the whales or something. Either way, come December I’ll be at UBS and MSG with bells on.

One can always dream.
53077243-BFA6-4E4F-B359-02F5A8709B78.jpeg
I love the story of how Pete did a one off show with Genesis (as six of the best) in 1982. Basically they had to help Pete get out of some trouble with a shady promoter. I wish there was footage of this.
Australia1980

Post by Australia1980 »

KISS have been a nostalgia band since 1996.

It WAS cool in 1996, and possibly 1998 if they had done things right (but most agree that they did NOT do things right in 1998)

And ever since, it's just been...IDK some strange sort of tribute to a very, very short lived period, 1974-1977

I mean what about 1978- 1995, fine years when they had developed more?

IDK, it's warped, the past 25 years of KISS being based on attempting to recreate those 4 years
Mackemkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Mackemkiss »

Putting out new music just isn't their job. Their job is miming to their greatest hits and getting well paid for it.
Sweet Pain
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Sweet Pain »

Sonic Boom & Monster were new albums not too long ago.

That makes this notalgia critisism invalid.

Cheap Trick released 3 new albums in this past decade. Their current setlists are 95% 1970's material from their first 5 albums.

ZZ Top tour frequently but their last new album was in 2012.

No one cares about being " relevant" , or being considered a " nostalgia" act. There's nothing to prove to anyone. Their status is solidified.

Everyone knows this already. Touring ticket sales & T Shirt Mechandise sales are the ONLY support most classic rock artists can count on.

Are you buying their new albums. Honestly. Do you buy the albums in a store with your own money.

I did. I bought Sonic Boom & Monster. I never play them & glad they didn't play many songs from those newer albums at the last KISS show I saw.

Just imagine- If KISS played 7 or 8 newer songs ....holy cow....you'd be squeeling like a weiner dog on a barbaque.

There's a very real hypocrisy in this nostalgia topic.

I personally would've preferred they drop the Creatures Of The Night tunes. Hate I love It Loud. That song sucks. Lick It Up sucks too.

Better off sticking to the 1970's stuff.

Cmon & Love Me
Ladies Room
Tito

Post by Tito »

Sweet Pain wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:42 am Sonic Boom & Monster were new albums not too long ago.

12 years and 9 years ago respectively.

It's valid.
Stanley! You look so cute
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Stanley! You look so cute »

Tito wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:48 am
Sweet Pain wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:42 am Sonic Boom & Monster were new albums not too long ago.

It's valid.
Longer than the time between the debut album and Asylum, to frame it.
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by StillAlive »

nibbler1982 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:41 am I got my tickets to UBS and MSG.
I was thinking about going. For old times sake.
I used to be a pretty big fan back in the day (up until Duke). Great album by the way.

I hear poor Phil also has financial problems in addition to health issues.
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Going Blind »

StillAlive wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:29 am
I used to be a pretty big fan back in the day (up until Duke). Great album by the way.

I hear Phil had so many divorces that all of that money he was making in the 80's at the height of Phil mania is basically non-existent. Imagine after all that having nothing to show for it.
Tommyr

Post by Tommyr »

Going Blind wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:32 am

I hear Phil had so many divorces that all of that money he was making in the 80's at the height of Phil mania is basically non-existent. Imagine after all that having nothing to show for it.
Yup. Which is why I never got married. No one is going to fuck me out of everything.
Velvis
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Velvis »

His Majesty wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:53 pm Because they make more money slapping the Destroyer album cover on BBQ grill sets and tennis shoes.
lol
battra

Post by battra »

Um.

It's been like a decade since Monster and even longer since Sonic Boom.

Also...Sonic Boom is basically rewrites of lots of old Kiss tunes.

Sorry buddy, but a band who releases albums, on average, less than every 7 years and doesn't ever play them...that's a heritage band.
battra

Post by battra »

Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:46 am
Tito wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:48 am

It's valid.
Longer than the time between the debut album and Asylum, to frame it.
There have been two presidential administrations since then.

Tom Brady has won 4 superbowls.

A 20 year long war ended.

The Blues finally won a Stanley Cup.

Patrick Maroon, St. Louisan, won THREE Stanley Cups.

Iron Maiden has released 2 double albums and 2 live albums.

Metallica has released a double album, 4 live albums, and 5 super deluxe boxed sets.

Roger Waters has released 2 live albums, 2 movies, and a studio album.

Robert Plant has released 3 albums and is working on a fourth.

Blackberry's used to be a thing.

Cable and Satellite TV were still king.

It's insane how long it's been and how different the world is on the other side of Kiss's last studio record.
Berninio
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Berninio »

Cheap Trick released 3 new albums in this past decade. Their current setlists are 95% 1970's material from their first 5 albums.

ZZ Top tour frequently but their last new album was in 2012.

No one cares about being " relevant" , or being considered a " nostalgia" act. There's nothing to prove to anyone. Their status is solidified.

Everyone knows this already. Touring ticket sales & T Shirt Mechandise sales are the ONLY support most classic rock artists can count on.

Are you buying their new albums. Honestly. Do you buy the albums in a store with your own money.

I did. I bought Sonic Boom & Monster. I never play them & glad they didn't play many songs from those newer albums at the last KISS show I saw.

Just imagine- If KISS played 7 or 8 newer songs ....holy cow....you'd be squeeling like a weiner dog on a barbaque.

There's a very real hypocrisy in this nostalgia topic.

I personally would've preferred they drop the Creatures Of The Night tunes. Hate I love It Loud. That song sucks. Lick It Up sucks too.

Better off sticking to the 1970's stuff.

Cmon & Love Me
Ladies Room
Your post is full of assumptions and personal opinions, and quite aggressive too. I also like that you speak for everyone, excellent approach. Maybe you need to lie down or get some fresh air?
So Cruel
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by So Cruel »

Coventry1973 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:09 pm Remember what happened a few years back with Iron Maiden? They pretty much played 7-8 songs off their new album in concert, and fans were PISSED.
Not true at all. Book of Souks tour was very well received. I went with 3 other friends, all casuals who didn’t own Book of Souls, and they loved the show.
Den Dennis
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Den Dennis »

Save your money!
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

battra wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:41 am Also...Sonic Boom is basically rewrites of lots of old Kiss tunes.
Bit of an exaggeration don’t you think? 1 or 2 songs isn’t “lots”. That comment fits Van Halen’s ADKOT, but SB was pretty much totally written and created in 2009.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

I think it comes down to whether the band in question actually is still invested in - and enjoys - the process of creating new music. I'm thinking of Deep Purple who are even older and have been going even longer than Kiss. I thought they were over and done with as a recording act when they didn't put out anything between about 2006 and 2013 and just concentrated on touring.

Since then they've had an extraordinary late-career burst of creativity...they've released three studio albums and are just about to put out an Origins-style covers record in advance of ANOTHER studio album. The amazing thing is they're all pretty good...they're unlikely to ever rival Machine Head, In Rock or Burn, but they're all worthwhile albums that aren't just cutting and pasting elements of what they did in the 70s.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

So Cruel wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:11 pm
Coventry1973 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:09 pm Remember what happened a few years back with Iron Maiden? They pretty much played 7-8 songs off their new album in concert, and fans were PISSED.
Not true at all. Book of Souks tour was very well received. I went with 3 other friends, all casuals who didn’t own Book of Souls, and they loved the show.
Seconded. The Book of Souls tour was amazing and, for my money, the best Maiden tour I have attended.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Kiss have put out two studio albums since Motley Crue released their most recent. Are Motley regarded as a nostalgia band? Van Halen released their last album the same year as Monster. Were VH regarded as a nostalgia band?
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

TheSpoiler wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:43 am Kiss have put out two studio albums since Motley Crue released their most recent. Are Motley regarded as a nostalgia band?
Motley Crue are 100% a nostalgia band. Nostalgia is the only reason Vince is able to wheeze his way through half a set at the state fair.
cgtrman
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by cgtrman »

One last album involving all living members is what I want. Fan since ‘75 and I would love too see Peter play and sing on one song, BK contribute in songwriting (like BK 3 style), most or all rhythm gtrs, most solos, and even some bass, Ace sing a few songs and do some solos, Bk, Gene and ES cover an Eric Carr song, etc. and a heavy dose of Gene vocals. Paul could sing a few songs in his lower register ala Fire and Water.

Obviously this would never happen but this would be a great final album.
battra

Post by battra »

Mr Slow wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:31 pm
battra wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:41 am Also...Sonic Boom is basically rewrites of lots of old Kiss tunes.
Bit of an exaggeration don’t you think? 1 or 2 songs isn’t “lots”. That comment fits Van Halen’s ADKOT, but SB was pretty much totally written and created in 2009.
I going on Mr. Thayer's solos really.

Not a single original idea.
Berninio
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Berninio »

battra wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:58 pm

To be fair to Thomas, I don't think G&P would allow for any creative freedom in the soloing department. It had to have that trademark Ace sound and feel, which is also the main reason why Tommy is in the role in the first place.
battra

Post by battra »

Berninio wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:05 pm
battra wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:58 pm

To be fair to Thomas, I don't think G&P would allow for any creative freedom in the soloing department. It had to have that trademark Ace sound and feel, which is also the main reason why Tommy is in the role in the first place.
Unless Gene and Paul wrote the solos, Thomas has his own self to blame for writing them made up of Ace's licks.
Berninio
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Berninio »

But would G&P let Tommy get away with a "Tommy Style" solo? I don't know any Black n Blue music, but maybe someone can draw some comparison / reference to his solos in BnB? And would have Tommy's solo style fit the KISS formula? I am just curios and do not really challenge what you are saying battra.
battra

Post by battra »

Berninio wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:35 pm But would G&P let Tommy get away with a "Tommy Style" solo? I don't know any Black n Blue music, but maybe someone can draw some comparison / reference to his solos in BnB? And would have Tommy's solo style fit the KISS formula? I am just curios and do not really challenge what you are saying battra.
For reference...

Listen to Roger Waters's Is This The Life We Really Want followed by Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and you'll see a great example of a lead player playing in another's style without aping the aforementioned's licks.

That's my biggest complaint with Tommy. He doesn't just ape Ace, but uses Ace's licks.

(But on Monster, there's some definite better work.)