Union Reunion possibilities & new Union vinyl!

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
mbrunn
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Union Reunion possibilities & new Union vinyl!

Post by mbrunn »

Last night I chatted with John Corabi. Of course we covered his solo stuff and Motley but what will interest everyone here is our discussion about Union.

Hear John talk candidly about why a reunion hasn’t happened, his thoughts on if it will happen in the future, and some vinyl heading our way!!

Hotter Than Heck
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Union Reunion possibilities & new Union vinyl!

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

Thanks, I was wondering about these Union vinyls...
The Good Dr
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by The Good Dr »

The Scream's debut album is one of my all time favs. Such a shame John was poached shortly after by the Crue.....would loved to have had more albums from that lineup
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

That is cool. I never liked MC until I heard that one album that he is on, and I still don't care for their other stuff. They should get him back IMO.
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

In all due respect to the guys in Union (I like Corabi), didn't they sell about 2 copies of their debut CD and draw nothing but flies live? A reunion? Why would that happen?
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Tito »

Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:17 am That is cool. I never liked MC until I heard that one album that he is on, and I still don't care for their other stuff. They should get him back IMO.
I'm the same, I never cared for them, except I remember quite liking a few songs off the album with Corabi.

redinthesky wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:23 am In all due respect to the guys in Union (I like Corabi), didn't they sell about 2 copies of their debut CD and draw nothing but flies live? A reunion? Why would that happen?
But it could have sold 3 million, easily.
EasyCatMan
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by EasyCatMan »

redinthesky wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:23 am In all due respect to the guys in Union (I like Corabi), didn't they sell about 2 copies of their debut CD and draw nothing but flies live? A reunion? Why would that happen?

Their debut didn't have that bad of numbers for a band on such a small label. Very little promotion behind it.

November 1999 Soundscan

Union Original Release 19,705
Union Reissue on Spitfire Records 389
Union “Live In The Galaxy” 2,500

May 2000
Union “The Blue Room” 7,187
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:17 am That is cool. I never liked MC until I heard that one album that he is on, and I still don't care for their other stuff. They should get him back IMO.
Even if Crue wanted him, which they don't...because a bad Vince Neil sells better than a good Crab, he claims he would have less than zero interest due to the way he was treated and the shit Nikki, presumably, spoke of him and his songwriting. That said, waive lots of money in front of his face and his tune could certainly change, but like I said, for better or worse, the money is with Vince.
EasyCatMan
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by EasyCatMan »

and do what? They are still set to play stadiums next year with Vince.

What would a C MC do? Theaters ?
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Sure if they love playing music instead of raking in more money. They are all doing well relative to me.
B5Erik
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

I was at the very first show Union ever played. They sounded AMAZING. They were tight, but not at all mechanical. They had great feel, but sounded like they had been on tour for a couple weeks and had everything down. You'd never have guessed it was their first show.

And about 100 people (maybe) were there. (Maybe less.)

They just didn't have good management, a good label, or good promotion.
OHKISSFAN

Post by OHKISSFAN »

UNION was Fantastic!

Loved the Album & Loved seeing them Live!

I actually preferred the UNION debut over Psycho Circus at the time ...and still do.
Mike5477
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Mike5477 »

This dude is amazing! I absolutely love the stuff he did with the Dead Daisies. And his album with Motley Crue was the best. I'd love to hang with him for a day.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Motley 94 is the best thing Motley Crue ever did. Vince always sucked.

I liked Union, but they probably needed a real producer involved. It came across as a little amateurish to me.
ALLISTER
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by ALLISTER »

B5Erik wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:03 am I was at the very first show Union ever played. They sounded AMAZING. They were tight, but not at all mechanical. They had great feel, but sounded like they had been on tour for a couple weeks and had everything down. You'd never have guessed it was their first show.

Where was the first UNION show at?
B5Erik
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

ALLISTER wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:28 am
B5Erik wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:03 am I was at the very first show Union ever played. They sounded AMAZING. They were tight, but not at all mechanical. They had great feel, but sounded like they had been on tour for a couple weeks and had everything down. You'd never have guessed it was their first show.

A club called Brick by Brick in San Diego.
ALLISTER
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by ALLISTER »

B5Erik wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:17 pm
ALLISTER wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:28 am

A club called Brick by Brick in San Diego.
Cool. I worked a show for Punky Meadows of Angel there about 5 years ago. I first saw UNION at the Reseda Country Club in Reseda, CA. Lots of people there including Gene, Paul & maybe Ace.
Lickitup80
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Lickitup80 »

Motley '94 sucks. Anyone who thinks that album is good must be deaf. I should rather listen to Generation Swine (also a turd) than the self-titled Crue album with the singer from a nobody band.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

John Corabi is cool -- Union getting back together would be just the thing! Hope it happens ...
Tail of a hurricane

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Love john. Met him twice
mbrunn
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mbrunn »

What did you guys think of John’s point of view regarding a Union reunion vs. Bruce’s?
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Lickitup80 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:58 pm Motley '94 sucks. Anyone who thinks that album is good must be deaf. I should rather listen to Generation Swine (also a turd) than the self-titled Crue album with the singer from a nobody band.
What I can't hear you, are you calling in from Uranus?
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Tallbear13 »

Union playing together again would be cool but I wouldn't bet it happens.
Mick has said that album with Corabi was Motley's best album
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:25 am Motley 94 is the best thing Motley Crue ever did. Vince always sucked.

I liked Union, but they probably needed a real producer involved. It came across as a little amateurish to me.
Everyone has an opinion and mine is their is no way that Corabi album is better than Shout at the Devil. Most fans don't care about album,that's really the truth. Shout..is considered a classic among their fans.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

LoveGun77 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:25 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:25 am Motley 94 is the best thing Motley Crue ever did. Vince always sucked.

Everyone has an opinion and mine is their is no way that Corabi album is better than Shout at the Devil. Most fans don't care about album,that's really the truth. Shout..is considered a classic among their fans.
I am well aware that the album didn't do well. For me, the Corabi album is the best thing they ever did.

I dig Shout, but overall Crue has been incredibly mediocre for most of their career and there is nothing special about Vince - he could never really sing. I prefer real singers in bands.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:36 pm

I am well aware that the album didn't do well. For me, the Corabi album is the best thing they ever did.

I dig Shout, but overall Crue has been incredibly mediocre for most of their career and there is nothing special about Vince - he could never really sing. I prefer real singers in bands.
I agree that he's never been that good,even in his "prime". Tons of better guys,but he was a good fit for them during that time.

Also,the sales honestly don't affect my view on it. Shout is just more loved by the fans on a larger scale. And to me,it had more memorable and popular songs from them.

Will also agree they've had a lot of mediocre stuff. Even in their prime,Girls Girls Girls and Theater of Pain were mediocre to me.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

LoveGun77 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:50 pm

I agree that he's never been that good,even in his "prime". Tons of better guys,but he was a good fit for them during that time.

Also,the sales honestly don't affect my view on it. Shout is just more loved by the fans on a larger scale. And to me,it had more memorable and popular songs from them.

Will also agree they've had a lot of mediocre stuff. Even in their prime,Girls Girls Girls and Theater of Pain were mediocre to me.
It goes without saying that due to the poor sales - most MC fans don't like it at all or as much as the Vince era stuff.

They should have probably renamed the band and started anew, because they made a fantastic album that didn't need the Crue baggage.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:53 pm

It goes without saying that due to the poor sales - most MC fans don't like it at all or as much as the Vince era stuff.

They should have probably renamed the band and started anew, because they made a fantastic album that didn't need the Crue baggage.
You know what? You've convinced me to go back and give it another listen,just to be fair. It's been awhile,maybe I will hear it differently.
battra

Post by battra »

LoveGun77 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:10 pm

You know what? You've convinced me to go back and give it another listen,just to be fair. It's been awhile,maybe I will hear it differently.
It’s my personal favorite, but that means most people
Won’t like it. I tend to like what others don’t.

That being said, it might be less jarring for you now because you know how different it really is.

Even tho I love it now, I don’t recall caring for it when it came out.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Listen to it like a new band or be open to a creative change for a band. I mean it obviously isn't Dr. Feelgood 2.
Put the sex in my ex
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Put the sex in my ex »

The first Union album was really, really good and deserved good reviews and should have sold it tenfold at least. It was lightyears better then Mötleys "New Tattoo" , Iron Maidens "Virtual Xl" och Black Sabbath "Forbidden"
kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kiss-1976 »

Let it Scream is one of my all time favourites. So pissed when Nikki poached him although I do like the album they made together.
unionoz
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by unionoz »

The Union Reissues are well underway. They will be coming out on new label. Im sure an announcement will be made soon.
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

Met John outside his hotel after a Ratt gig in Nottingham a good few years back. Shook his hand and told him the MC record was the best thing they ever did to which he was grateful to hear. Damn shame he was relegated to Rhythm guitar in Ratt albeit briefly.
steve

Post by steve »

I can't stand any iteration of Motley Crue and won't listen to them at all. I've felt that way since 1987.

I was a fan of Union and loudly and proudly supported them because of Bruce. That said, I would much rather hear Todd Kerns sing with him than John Corabi.

Anyone know if the reissue of the first Union record will include the Japanese bonus track For You? Probably the least known of all their songs.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Pete2174 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:47 pm Met John outside his hotel after a Ratt gig in Nottingham a good few years back. Shook his hand and told him the MC record was the best thing they ever did to which he was grateful to hear. Damn shame he was relegated to Rhythm guitar in Ratt albeit briefly.
Briefly? I think he did it for 7 or 8 years. And sounds like he chose the gig as a pressure-free, steady paycheck. They were apparently interested in him singing, but he didn't want to play fill-in singer for another iconic 80s band...according to the interview posted at the top of the page.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

battra wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:31 pm

It’s my personal favorite, but that means most people
Won’t like it. I tend to like what others don’t.

That being said, it might be less jarring for you now because you know how different it really is.

Even tho I love it now, I don’t recall caring for it when it came out.
I understand,and I'm sure I have done the same. I didn't like Unmasked when it came out,for example. I know a lot hated The Elder but it grew on them.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

Put the sex in my ex wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:55 pm The first Union album was really, really good and deserved good reviews and should have sold it tenfold at least. It was lightyears better then Mötleys "New Tattoo" , Iron Maidens "Virtual Xl" och Black Sabbath "Forbidden"
If you liked it that much,it was light years ahead of those for you. It's all subjective
mbrunn
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mbrunn »

joma5477 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:08 am
Pete2174 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:47 pm Met John outside his hotel after a Ratt gig in Nottingham a good few years back. Shook his hand and told him the MC record was the best thing they ever did to which he was grateful to hear. Damn shame he was relegated to Rhythm guitar in Ratt albeit briefly.
Briefly? I think he did it for 7 or 8 years. And sounds like he chose the gig as a pressure-free, steady paycheck. They were apparently interested in him singing, but he didn't want to play fill-in singer for another iconic 80s band...according to the interview posted at the top of the page.
I loved that story and fully understood why John wouldn’t want to have played “full in singer” again for another classic 80s rock band.
deleteduser20211013
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by deleteduser20211013 »

I L.O.V.E. both Union discs and I too think MC94 is a great record ( I would'nt argure it was Motleys "best", but it is great) . I never got the chance to see Union live... stangely enough, I was able to see Vince Neil with the Union rhythmn section (Brent Fitz and Jamie Hunting) backing solo Vince Neil. Thanks Mike for landing another great interview! I'll give it a listen ASAP!!
Tito

Post by Tito »

Watched it last night. Awesome singer, but he seems to tend to dwell on his perceived failures. I realise it is what he gets asked about, but it seemed like most of the interview was him talking about how he doesn't care about Mötley Crüe. Yes, there are more successful musicians than him, but also an endless amount of hopefuls dreaming of being where he is.
ACE FAN LI
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Re: Union Reunion possibilities & new Union vinyl

Post by ACE FAN LI »

“The Blue Room” is a kick-ass album! I strongly suggest you FAQers to check it out if you haven’t already done so. I caught Union’s show at a small club here on Long Island in the early ‘00’s. Personally, I’d love to see a re-Union…
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

Love both of those albums, but the band suffered from the ol wrong place/wrong time.

In 1998 "oldschool" rock bands were not popular. It wasn't until the early 2000s that Rock came back. I could go on for hours as to why I think the Osbourne's TV Show saved much of music we all love here.

Union played mostly dive bars and bowling alleys and never really got their shot. If that first record came out today I could see them supporting GnR or playing to mid sized places like The Struts.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

mbrunn wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:54 pm
joma5477 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:08 am Briefly? I think he did it for 7 or 8 years. And sounds like he chose the gig as a pressure-free, steady paycheck. They were apparently interested in him singing, but he didn't want to play fill-in singer for another iconic 80s band...according to the interview posted at the top of the page.
I loved that story and fully understood why John wouldn’t want to have played “full in singer” again for another classic 80s rock band.
Nice job as usual, bud. You've really come a long way. Keep up the good work!
mbrunn
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mbrunn »

joma5477 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:28 am
joma5477 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:08 am Briefly? I think he did it for 7 or 8 years. And sounds like he chose the gig as a pressure-free, steady paycheck. They were apparently interested in him singing, but he didn't want to play fill-in singer for another iconic 80s band...according to the interview posted at the top of the page.
Thanks for the kind words. I truly appreciate everyone who takes the time out of their lives to watch an episode that interests them.
moshpitwookie
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by moshpitwookie »

mbrunn wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:09 pm
Thanks for the kind words. I truly appreciate everyone who takes the time out of their lives to watch an episode that interests them.
I haven't had a chance to watch this yet , and to be honest, it wasn't high on my list. But now that I have realized it is an interview by you, Mike Brunn, it's being moved up my watchlist. I always look forward to your great interviews, Mike.
mbrunn
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mbrunn »

moshpitwookie wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:04 pm
mbrunn wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:09 pm

I haven't had a chance to watch this yet , and to be honest, it wasn't high on my list. But now that I have realized it is an interview by you, Mike Brunn, it's being moved up my watchlist. I always look forward to your great interviews, Mike.
That’s extremely kind of you. It was a busy week of interviews for me. Corabi, Ripper Owens and Mark Tremonti. Glad you enjoy the interviews I publish. I’m honored.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

Listening to the Union album again, and I still love it over two decades later.

Such a shame, it came out the wrong time.

I think if it came out in the grunge era of the early-mid 90s, it would done far better business.
Tito

Post by Tito »

steveh67 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:03 pm Listening to the Union album again, and I still love it over two decades later.
I agree, it still holds up.
Revenge 92
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Revenge 92 »

Re-Union would be a great title.