"KISS showed they remain a musical force...Rock school was in session" - Ridgefield, Wash (9/17/21)

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

"KISS showed they remain a musical force...Rock school was in session" - Ridgefield, Wash (9/17/21)

Post by StillAlive »

KISS at the RV Inn Styles Resort Amphitheater on 09/17/21

KISS is currently on the road supporting their End of The Road World Tour. They just made a stop at the RV Inn Style Resort Amphitheater in Ridgefield, Washington. Their show was in question not too long ago as members were affected by Covid, but they quickly rebounded back, and the tour was once again back on track.

KISS has been a musical force in rock n roll since they started in the early 70s. Their make-up designs and space suit characters are rock legends and they have had a huge impact on our pop culture. Their stage show in the early days may have shocked some while pushing the limits, but at the same time KISS inspired new generations of music fans and musicians.

At the band’s core, is a band who writes great rock n’ roll songs. During the bands nearly 50-year career, they released over 40 albums, endured through various music styles and sold well over a 100 million albums worldwide. The word icon is loosely used nowadays, but this is the kind of band, who truly have earned that distinction and level.

When a band like KISS promises to go out on a Farewell tour, how does a band like that go out? KISS went out BIG. From the curtain falling and from the first guitar riff for “Detroit Rock City”, the show was quickly off to a strong start. Paul Stanley (vocals, guitar), Gene Simmons (vocals, bass) and Tommy Thayer (guitar) descended on their individual platforms with Eric Singer on drums as firebombs and fireworks exploded throughout the stage. Most tours rarely see these kind of stage shows levels, but for KISS this was only their first song and there was a LONG way to go still. KISS would touch on songs from their first 1974 release KISS to their most current releases. “God of Thunder” for one was heavy in mood as Gene Simmons flew overhead and “Tears are Falling” was big on the choruses as thousands sang along.

The sound at the amphitheater was probably one of the best I have heard there too, and it really showed how well the band still sounds after all these years. Some people may have wanted to see original members Ace Frehley (guitar) and Peter Criss (drums) make a stage return to KISS, but they must give kudos to current KISS members Tommy Thayer (our Beaverton native) and Eric Singer as they played at levels that made you forget their predecessors. KISS showed they remain a musical force and that they could easily keep going if they wanted to. Rock school was in session and KISS showed how a real rock n roll show should be. There was blood, there was fire, and there was a lot of ROCK.

KISS may have done a previous farewell tour and promise this is truly the end. If the band is truly over, it will be a huge blow to their fans and rock fans in general. A KISS show is like no other, big in sound, heavy in theatrics, and a whole lotta fun. They’ve helped set the standard for the live concert experience and if they do come back (again), I am sure they will even top themselves and be even bigger. That is the KISS way.

https://www.oregonmusicnews.com/kiss-rv ... hotos91721
Mackemkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: "KISS showed they remain a musical force...Rock school was in session" - Ridgefield, Wash (9/17/21)

Post by Mackemkiss »

Tripe.
battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: "KISS showed they remain a musical force...Rock school was in session" - Ridgefield, Wash (9/17/21)

Post by battra »

I stopped reading when it got to the part about playing an RV Park.

Oh lordy lordy forty forty...

Seeing these knob polishing reviews about how a band lip syncing sounds so great and showing the kids how it's done...

I can't.
Bender
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Bender »

battra wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:48 pm I stopped reading when it got to the part about playing an RV Park.

Seeing these knob polishing reviews about how a band lip syncing sounds so great and showing the kids how it's done...

I can't.
Perhaps the reviewers are relatively young and have no idea. I mean it's so different from now to the 70's...a nose buried in the phone when we had our total attention focused on every detail at a show. It just may be that some of the ppl just don't know what a concert was like pre smart phone age...or it could be paid propaganda ...lol...but seriously the pyro works probably great with the low attention span ppl with their noses in the phone.
battra

Post by battra »

Bender wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:58 pm
battra wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:48 pm I stopped reading when it got to the part about playing an RV Park.

I can't.
Perhaps the reviewers are relatively young and have no idea. I mean it's so different from now to the 70's...a nose buried in the phone when we had our total attention focused on every detail at a show. It just may be that some of the ppl just don't know what a concert was like pre smart phone age...or it could be paid propaganda ...lol...but seriously the pyro works probably great with the low attention span ppl with their noses in the phone.
No idea

I know that this band should be better.
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Tallbear13 »

These articles sound like the recap a reporter had to do for the olympics overseas before the events happened to get it in the newspaper in the US the next day
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Grand Classic »

Geez - such ballwashing. I hope he got paid by KISS to write this bullshit.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Our Beaverton native.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Next headline "Kiss fans not at all happy with Kiss getting good reviews". :lol:
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:22 am Next headline "Kiss fans not at all happy with Kiss getting good reviews". :lol:
I would love to see that by a reputable media source and have the reasons why be discussed. It would be an interesting perspective that perhaps KISS are blind to, since they care more about pleasing the general public and casual fans over actual fans or die hard fans.
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

Was clearly going to be a positive review by the thread title, don't know what you all were expecting?!? Not everything needs to be shat on. The person had a good time, a great time even and wanted to share that. It's their opinion on what they saw...
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

I'm glad not everyone is as jaded as we are. If you can go see KISS in 2021 and have the time of your life, then have at hoss. More power to ya. And, honestly, I sort of envy you a little.
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:47 am I'm glad not everyone is as jaded as we are. If you can go see KISS in 2021 and have the time of your life, then have at hoss. More power to ya. And, honestly, I sort of envy you a little.
That’s a nice thought..👍
JJ Smalling II
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by JJ Smalling II »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:47 am I'm glad not everyone is as jaded as we are. If you can go see KISS in 2021 and have the time of your life, then have at hoss. More power to ya. And, honestly, I sort of envy you a little.
I have to agree here. Well said. Cheers.
kwf484
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by kwf484 »

No mention of lip-syncing... the reviewer is uninformed
Lickitup80
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Lickitup80 »

The usual KISS Krybabies out.

"Paul sung to a track....waaaaaaa!"

"They have a guitar player that can actually plays the songs correctly and isn't drunk off his ass....waaaaaa!"

"They didn't have the costumes from "insert year here"........waaaaaa!

"People had a good time, they should be on here whining about how things were better FORTY FIVE FUCKING YEARS AGO........waaaaaaa!"
ImAPlumber
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ImAPlumber »

They sent the intern to write that one. I say that not because of the review, but the way the review was written.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

People had a good time. Today, yesterday and tomorrow, that's what it's all about.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

firekiss wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:23 pm People had a good time. Today, yesterday and tomorrow, that's what it's all about.
Exactly. And you can pretty soon take tomorrow out of the equation, so have a good time while you still can, I say.
Man of a Thousand Aces

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

I guess...if you've never seen them before.

So...Gene is flying again? I thought he stopped that. :?:
Supertrooper
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Supertrooper »

Yep, I am glad they can make other people glad, it just isn't for me anymore. The KISS of today would still be a bit boring to me, even if Paul had a voice and COULD SING. They aren't exactly spontaneous and hardly move on stage. Old men, tryying to make belive they are still young....Meh.....But still I get a kick out of people who are new to the band band discover they like them. KISS will always be my band, because of their past.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Lickitup80 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:08 pm

So you think Paul miming is not something that is actually worth being critical about?

Especially when KISS themselves attacked other bands/artists for doing exactly that and KISS fans here were raising their fist in triumph that THEIR band would never do that.

Of course once KISS started miming too - many of those same fans ended up being completely spineless and immediately folded on their position that they would never support a band that isn't actually live.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:44 pm
firekiss wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:23 pm People had a good time. Today, yesterday and tomorrow, that's what it's all about.
Exactly. And you can pretty soon take tomorrow out of the equation, so have a good time while you still can, I say.
Yep, agreed. Life is short. Have fun while you can.
gothunder

Post by gothunder »

The SLC show last nite was a blast!!!!!!!! They claimed upwards of 20,000 people.
Mackemkiss

Post by Mackemkiss »

The title says "KISS showed they remain a musical force" not "OK We all know KISS are past it, miming and phoning it in but hey some people still enjoy it maaan!"r

it's shoddy journalism
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Mackemkiss wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:53 am The title says "KISS showed they remain a musical force" not "OK We all know KISS are past it, miming and phoning it in but hey some people still enjoy it maaan!"r

it's shoddy journalism
It's like saying: well some people must enjoy those shitty phoned in Bruce Willis action movies that go straight to streaming, because they keep making them - so let those people have their fun instead of pointing out objectively how both KISS and Bruce Willis have REALLY fallen into the fucking ground.
Mackemkiss

Post by Mackemkiss »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:03 pm
Mackemkiss wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:53 am The title says "KISS showed they remain a musical force" not "OK We all know KISS are past it, miming and phoning it in but hey some people still enjoy it maaan!"r

it's shoddy journalism
It's like saying: well some people must enjoy those shitty phoned in Bruce Willis action movies that go straight to streaming, because they keep making them - so let those people have their fun instead of pointing out objectively how both KISS and Bruce Willis have REALLY fallen into the fucking ground.
Yup.
Actually KISS SHOW THEY REMAIN A FINANCIAL FORCE DESPITE THE RAVAGES OF TIME would do
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Another interesting article would be

"KISS FANS: why some are bafflingly unable to let go when they don't enjoy it anymore"

;)
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:42 pm Another interesting article would be

"KISS FANS: why some are bafflingly unable to let go when they don't enjoy it anymore"

;)
Let go of what though? There is still love for KISS overall.

NO ONE lets go of anything in fandom. You are asking something of people here that doesn't actually exist.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:05 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:42 pm Another interesting article would be

;)

NO ONE lets go of anything in fandom. You are asking something of people here that doesn't actually exist.
OK lets change the parameters:

"KISS FANS: why some feel the need to pontificate over something they no longer approve of"
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:08 pm

;)

"KISS FANS: why some feel the need to pontificate over something they no longer approve of"
I guess for the same reason that sports fans shit on their favorite team that is currently sucking.

Or the endless backlash that is currently going on with die hard Star Trek fans that think the new shows like Picard and Discovery are total dogshit and not what Star Trek is about at all.

It's all part of fandom. Praise what you love and backlash for what you don't.
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

Lickitup80 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:08 pm The usual KISS Krybabies out.

"They have a guitar player that can actually plays the songs correctly and isn't drunk off his ass....waaaaaa!"

"People had a good time, they should be on here whining about how things were better FORTY FIVE FUCKING YEARS AGO........waaaaaaa!"
Yep. The we hate Kiss FaqAttaq squad wants 70 year old men to somehow physically revert to 28 year old studs… so that they can feel like they’re 12 again.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Much Too Soon wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:15 pm
Lickitup80 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:08 pm The usual KISS Krybabies out.

Yep. The we hate Kiss FaqAttaq squad wants 70 year old men to somehow physically revert to 28 year old studs… so that they can feel like they’re 12 again.
Literally no one is expecting that here.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:12 pm

;)

I guess for the same reason that sports fans shit on their favorite team that is currently sucking.

Or the endless backlash that is currently going on with die hard Star Trek fans that think the new shows like Picard and Discovery are total dogshit and not what Star Trek is about at all.

I can accept that. People lash out against changes that they disapprove of. And then they feel the need to either convert or belittle people who disagree with them. Microcosm of human nature etc. Conform to "my ideals" or be ridiculed.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:32 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:12 pm

I can accept that. People lash out against changes that they disapprove of. And then they feel the need to either convert or belittle people who disagree with them. Microcosm of human nature etc. Conform to "my ideals" or be ridiculed.
Now you are getting it. :wink:
Lickitup80
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Lickitup80 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:38 am

So you think Paul miming is not something that is actually worth being critical about?

Especially when KISS themselves attacked other bands/artists for doing exactly that and KISS fans here were raising their fist in triumph that THEIR band would never do that.

Of course once KISS started miming too - many of those same fans ended up being completely spineless and immediately folded on their position that they would never support a band that isn't actually live.

"Especially when KISS themselves attacked other bands/artists for doing exactly that and KISS fans here were raising their fist in triumph that THEIR band would never do that."

Who cares? I was never "raising my fist" running around town bragging KISS doesn't use backing tracks, cause truly, who gives a fuck?

"Oh man, Paul sings to a track, now all the Aerosmith fans are going to make fun of me," said no one with any sanity.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Lickitup80 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:38 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:38 am

"Especially when KISS themselves attacked other bands/artists for doing exactly that and KISS fans here were raising their fist in triumph that THEIR band would never do that."

Who cares? I was never "raising my fist" running around town bragging KISS doesn't use backing tracks, cause truly, who gives a fuck?

"Oh man, Paul sings to a track, now all the Aerosmith fans are going to make fun of me," said no one with any sanity.
I see you have high standards.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

it's shoddy journalism
What's so wrong about letting people have their fun?
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

firekiss wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:15 pm

it's shoddy journalism
Has nothing to do with wrong or right. That just isn't how things work in any kind of fandom.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:20 pm

it's shoddy journalism
Has nothing to do with wrong or right. That just isn't how things work in any kind of fandom.
Really? You HAVE to point it out everytime?

So much for your cross to bear. :lol:
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

Notice the trend with the positive threads that have the same negative FAQ users declaring how there are not enough negative things within the thread. Also notice how those negative people seem to be thread killers in that they seemingly kill off others from posting further in the thread. :idea:

I'm glad the reviewer had a good time at a rock concert.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

firekiss wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:29 pm

You mean like how you keep having these discussions with me? This and another thread just yesterday.

You could learn from this exchange.

viewtopic.php?p=3346595#p3346595
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:36 pm

You mean like how you keep having these discussions with me? This and another thread just yesterday.

Completely different, but I know you'll twist it to suit your agenda. It's what you do.

Done.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

firekiss wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:42 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:36 pm

Completely different, but I know you'll twist it to suit your agenda. It's what you do.

Done.
THANK YOU. For fuck sake.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

The KISS Army should be renamed The DISS Army. There is a small contingency of the fan base that have some kind of obsession with trying to ruin other people’s fun. What’s that about?

I used to love The X-Files. I couldn’t get enough of the show. I even had the collectible figures that came out in the late 90’s. Those first 8-9 seasons were brilliant. But once the 2 main characters were replaced it lost something and the writers tried too hard to capture what came naturally in those early years. To me, the show ended when Mulder left.

What I should do now is go onto the best X-Files fan forum out there and spend all my time trashing the last few years of the show. Never mind how great it was to begin with, just focus mainly on the negatives and how the creators killed a once great series.

If some people dare to admit they enjoyed the tail end of it I will tell them how low their standards are and how obviously wrong they are. I might even insert my negativity into topics that have NOTHING to do with the last few seasons. I’ll make a complete ass of myself and rain on everyone’s parade, because apparently that’s what fandom is!
🙄
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Mr Slow wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:43 pm The KISS Army should be renamed The DISS Army. There is a small contingency of the fan base that have some kind of obsession with trying to ruin other people’s fun. What’s that about?

I used to love The X-Files. I couldn’t get enough of the show. I even had the collectible figures that came out in the late 90’s. Those first 8-9 seasons were brilliant. But once the 2 main characters were replaced it lost something and the writers tried too hard to capture what came naturally in those early years. To me, the show ended when Mulder left.

What I should do now is go onto the best X-Files fan forum out there and spend all my time trashing the last few years of the show. Never mind how great it was to begin with, just focus mainly on the negatives and how the creators killed a once great series.

If some people dare to admit they enjoyed the tail end of it I will tell them how low their standards are and how obviously wrong they are. I might even insert my negativity into topics that have NOTHING to do with the last few seasons. I’ll make a complete ass of myself and rain on everyone’s parade, because apparently that’s what fandom is!
🙄
Yes. That is exactly what happens on every single fan forum in the world. How many fucking times does this need to be repeated?

KISS FAQ isn't some exception on the internet where fans are critical of aspects they don't like.

Star Wars fans are shitting on the Star Wars stuff they don't like. Star Trek fans are the doing the same with the current backlash of die hard fans HATING the new shows Picard and Discovery.

Pick a fan base and the same thing is happening on those forums too. You have to get over it for fuck sake. This is what fandom is - passionate fans praise the stuff they love and there is a backlash for the things they don't.
SaintN'Sinner83

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:54 pm Get over it for fuck sake.
Your entire posting history could be cut by 90% if you took your own advice, here.
:lol:

(I'm so gonna quote this back to you, whenever it fits.)
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:56 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:54 pm Get over it for fuck sake.
Your entire posting history could be cut by 90% if you took your own advice, here.
:lol:

(I'm so gonna quote this back to you, whenever it fits.)
There is nothing for me to get over. I understand how fandoms work in the world. Grown men who whine about their fun being ruined by strangers on a forum - clearly don't.
SaintN'Sinner83

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:58 pmGrown men who whine about their fun being ruined by strangers in makeup and lip-syncing.
:thumright:
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:04 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:58 pmGrown men who whine about their fun being ruined by strangers in makeup and lip-syncing.
:thumright:
I am not doing that with your misquote here, but you since you bring it up - lip syncing in every possible sense is 100% valid to criticize and mock relentlessly, especially due to KISS' absolute hypocrisy about it all.

Just like it was when KISS fans were mocking other bands and artists for doing that. You know, BEFORE some KISS fans broke their spine due to how quickly they changed their views on lip syncing.