KISS at The Gorge: "one of the more impressive swan songs in rock history"

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

KISS at The Gorge: "one of the more impressive swan songs in rock history"

Post by StillAlive »

Review: KISS is worth more than a deuce as iconic band rocks the Gorge for final time
Sept. 20, 2021

If this is really the end of the road for KISS, it’s one of the more impressive swan songs in rock history. KISS no longer writes or records material, but the legendary band pours everything into its show.

The final KISS concert ever, according to vocalist-bassist Gene Simmons, at the Gorge on Saturday night will be memorable for the 20,000 fans who spanned from toddlers to folks who approached octogenarian status. Speaking of those within shouting distance of 80, Simmons, who is a spry 72, and his co-conspirator, vocalist-guitarist Paul Stanley, 69, are getting up there.

It’s remarkable how animated the members of KISS are at such an advanced age. Their physicality isn’t that different from what it was when I caught the band for the first time 44 years ago at the late, lamented Spectrum in Philadelphia. That show, my first, is a distant but indelible memory for an elementary school kid blown away by the sheer spectacle.

I’m still impressed by the endless pyrotechnics and over-the-top eye candy. KISS capped its two-hour performance with an extended “Rock and Roll All Nite,” which included endless confetti showers that were so intense, I couldn’t help but become giddy, and those around me a few rows from the stage in front of Simmons felt the same way. Smiles and laughter (how often does that occur during a hard rock concert?) were ubiquitous.

The show commenced at 8:45 p.m., after an hour of video and hype, with the first of many explosions and the greatest song the band has ever composed, “Detroit Rock City.” Each of the band’s four members, including guitarist Tommy Thayer and drummer Eric Singer, were lowered to the stage on massive risers.

The anthemic “Shout It Out Loud” followed, and KISS was off and running. During “Deuce,” footage from the band’s salad days hit the video screen. It was a reminder, with the help of makeup, that KISS has aged well. And they knew exactly where they were Saturday night, shouting “Washington!” multiple times.

But the greasepaint doesn’t help a senior citizen gyrate around the stage. Stanley, who sings and speaks between songs, is in remarkable shape sporting his trademark vest. The starry-eyed lover character still shimmies around exactly like he did during the 1970s. Stanley, who still performs with a bit of a bare midriff, ziplines out to a small stage to belt out “Love Gun” and “I Was Made for Lovin’ You.”

Both songs, which are among the catchiest in the KISS cannon, still hold up, particularly the former. It’s surprising that the latter aged so well since some members of the KISS Army were less than crazy about a disco-influenced song written and recorded by their favorite band in 1979. However, there was KISS more than 40 years later still cranking out the infectious hit with the image of a disco ball behind them.

Simmons, looking sinister as always in his demon makeup, still breathes fire, as he did during the 1982 deep cut “War Machine,” and spits out blood, which the audience experienced during “God of Thunder.” The electrifying evening also included requisite and outstanding drum, guitar and bass solos.

There were some curious choices for the setlist, such as why dust off the forgettable “Heaven’s on Fire” and, from 1985’s “Asylum,” “Tears Are Falling”? Why not play “Parasite,” which is one of the greatest songs in KISS history, and “I Stole Your Love”?

If this is the end of KISS, let it be known that KISS isn’t just a visual experience. Over the course of its lengthy career, KISS has crafted some solid songs that are timeless, such as “Black Diamond,” which was fortunately part of the band’s set.

Sure, KISS has had its share of misses, but that’s typically how it goes for those who write and record material for 40 years. And when it comes to live spectacle, the band is second to no act.

If the current tour really is it for the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers (inducted in 2014), they are a rock and roll rarity, a band who went out on top and on its own terms. Rock on, KISS!

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/ ... -iconic-b/
Wiped Out 78
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: KISS at The Gorge: "one of the more impressive swan songs in rock history"

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

StillAlive wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:43 am It’s remarkable how animated the members of KISS are at such an advanced age. Their physicality isn’t that different from what it was when I caught the band for the first time 44 years ago at the late, lamented Spectrum in Philadelphia.

redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

Definitely written by a biased Kiss fan wearing rose-colored glasses. You click his name, and even his Foreigner review starts off with "Kiss 2.0" stuff. And twenty thousand? Ticketmaster like just five days ago didn't seem it had anything close to that many tickets sold.
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

Are they really asking why KISS are playing Heavens on Fire?!?
gothunder
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by gothunder »

I was there in 2000, easily my fav Kiss show ive been to.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

I think reviews like this put things into perspective a little. We might roll our eyes (or worse) and accuse the band of being statues or having boring setlists or whatever, but there's folks out there having the time of their lives at these shows.
Where's Drago?
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Where's Drago? »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:25 am I think reviews like this put things into perspective a little. We might roll our eyes (or worse) and accuse the band of being statues or having boring setlists or whatever, but there's folks out there having the time of their lives at these shows.
I have some sympathy with this opinion. There's no doubt KISS have slowed down, and some would way say virtually stopped, in recent years, but when you compare the show with some acts out there, it's still *quite* the occasion. Even if that's 90% perception only!
tazchris
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by tazchris »

No chance they would ever play I Stole Your Love, nice thought though.
Lickitup80
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Lickitup80 »

I was there. Had a blast. The place was not sold out, but they drew pretty well. 15K easily. I have lurked on this board for years, and most of you are diehard KISS fans (myself included), but most fans are there to hear the classics and not deep cuts, or any of the trash off The Elder. My 3rd time seeing them and first time seeing them with Tommy and Eric. Can't understand why anyone would want noodle armed Peter or Ace the drunk back in the band? They should let Tommy sing New York Groove and Shock Me!
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Lickitup80 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:45 pm I was there. Had a blast. The place was not sold out, but they drew pretty well. 15K easily. I have lurked on this board for years, and most of you are diehard KISS fans (myself included), but most fans are there to hear the classics and not deep cuts, or any of the trash off The Elder. My 3rd time seeing them and first time seeing them with Tommy and Eric. Can't understand why anyone would want noodle armed Peter or Ace the drunk back in the band? They should let Tommy sing New York Groove and Shock Me!
Die hard rock fans tend to prefer that bands retain their original lineup. Especially when new members are pretending to be those original members. It's not hard to understand.
SaintN'Sinner83

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

The Gorge is one of the best venues in America.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

gothunder wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:18 am I was there in 2000, easily my fav Kiss show ive been to.
I remember that show was at the end of the Farewell Tour dates. I thought it would be the last show before more dates were announced.
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

Clearly the reviewer popped a couple ludes before the show and everything speeded up during the KISS performance. Far out man
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

tazchris wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:13 pm No chance they would ever play I Stole Your Love, nice thought though.
Why not? They did it a few times on the original 2000 Farewell Tour. Got dumped unfortunately.
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by d4nugster »

these kinds of reviews should have been written in '74. nowadays, to the well versed and informed, its nothing but fluff piece writing.
drdelaware
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by drdelaware »

Lickitup80 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:45 pm Can't understand why anyone would want noodle armed Peter or Ace the drunk back in the band?
But Fraud Stanley is ok? :lol:
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by StillAlive »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:25 am I think reviews like this put things into perspective a little. We might roll our eyes (or worse) and accuse the band of being statues or having boring setlists or whatever, but there's folks out there having the time of their lives at these shows.
Exactly.
I went to an EOTR show last year with several casual fans (if even that).
We had a blast and they were BLOWN away.
The subsequent show reviews in the newspapers were glowing.
gothunder

Post by gothunder »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:54 pm The Gorge is one of the best venues in America.
:salut:
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

Beautiful place to see a show.
Mackemkiss

Post by Mackemkiss »

These kind of reviews just never mention the miming. Which is important to me.
I saw Leonard Cohen before he died. The band were superb, he was 80 and still animated. And nobody mimed. That's a proper show.
Lickitup80
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Lickitup80 »

Mackemkiss wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:01 pm These kind of reviews just never mention the miming. Which is important to me.
I saw Leonard Cohen before he died. The band were superb, he was 80 and still animated. And nobody mimed. That's a proper show.

If he was singing to a backing track is wasn't noticeable. God, the KISS fans in this site are the most miserable people on Earth. One of you has to be Peter Criss!!! Actually, maybe not, I doubt he can type with those string bean arms of his!!!
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by StillAlive »

Lickitup80 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:36 pm God, the KISS fans in this site are the most miserable people on Earth. One of you has to be Peter Criss!!!
I don't think you're that far off.
I would bet my paycheck that there are a lot of "inner circle" people that post here.
Not real KISS fans. Bitter hanger-ons, yes men, girlfriends, and such.
Spinning, deflecting, insulting, trashing, etc.
EVERY piece of positive info (no matter how seemingly innocent or mundane) about the current line-up is immediately shit upon.
So Cruel
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by So Cruel »

Lickitup80 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:36 pm
Mackemkiss wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:01 pm These kind of reviews just never mention the miming. Which is important to me.

If he was singing to a backing track is wasn't noticeable. God, the KISS fans in this site are the most miserable people on Earth. One of you has to be Peter Criss!!! Actually, maybe not, I doubt he can type with those string bean arms of his!!!
You’re a clown
Lickitup80
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Lickitup80 »

StillAlive wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:05 am
Lickitup80 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:36 pm God, the KISS fans in this site are the most miserable people on Earth. One of you has to be Peter Criss!!!
I don't think you're that far off.
I would bet my paycheck that there are a lot of "inner circle" people that post here.
Not real KISS fans. Bitter hanger-ons, yes men, girlfriends, and such.
Spinning, deflecting, insulting, trashing, etc.
EVERY piece of positive info (no matter how seemingly innocent or mundane) about the current line-up is immediately shit upon.

Exactly. Been lurking for years and it's always been people hung up on the past, who can't move on. Pretty pathetic!! I saw them twice with originals and once with TT and ES. Show musically was way better with Thayer/Singer. Who cares if some of Paul's stuff is sung to tape? The dude is fucking old.