Red-eoactive vinyl and just... green, blue, purple vinyls?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
sneed78
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Red-eoactive vinyl and just... green, blue, purple vinyls?

Post by sneed78 »

On the β€˜78 solo singles, I always thought it was odd that Gene was the only member to get a groovy themed name for his colored vinyl (Red-eoactive) but the others are super creatively listed as just green, purple and blue vinyl.

Why not like... Ozone Blue, Purple Passion and Jungle Green vinyl?

I’m guessing Dennis Woloch had a hand in calling it that or maybe Gene or Sean Delaney thought it was clever and suggested it.

Important things to ponder... πŸ€” πŸ’­

β€οΈβ˜’οΈβ€οΈβ€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”πŸ’™πŸ›ΈπŸ’™
πŸ’šπŸ¦πŸ’šβ€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”πŸ’œπŸŒ·πŸ’œ
Last edited by sneed78 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: Red-eoactive vinyl and just... green, blue, purple vinyls?

Post by Bruce »

sneed78, you are a man after my own heart, but I disagree with you, on this one. Saying "reddo-active" its not even catchy. Its mildly amusing the first time you see it, for maybe 15 nanoseconds. After which, one is just glad the rest have normal names.
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

Bruce wrote: ↑Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:44 pm sneed78, you are a man after my own heart, but I disagree with you, on this one. Saying "reddo-active" its not even catchy. Its mildly amusing the first time you see it, for maybe 15 nanoseconds. After which, one is just glad the rest have normal names.
I love wordplay and themes so I’m a sucker for this kinda stuff lol

Only thing that bothers me is the spelling... Red-eoactive.

Would’ve been more clever just changing the A in radio to an E (Redioactive). πŸ’‘
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

I never even knew about these
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Yes, this is something of an education for me, as well. I've tried to look into it more, after viewing this thread. Nothing really came up other than on eBay and that ilk. A few wordy articles on the singles, a little, and a lot on everything surrounding that (solos released same day, poor sales ... the usual).

But lets see ... what names to use for these colors? We've already got Ozone Blue, Purple Passion and Jungle Green vinyl. The good ones are taken, but lets try anyhow ...

Tossing & Turning Green, Ain't Quite Purple and Fractured Blue
Velvis
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Velvis »

They look like they were rushed out and cheap looking. I don't like that they only went with one creative color name. Either do them all or none. I also dont like that Peter's Solo thanks more than A,G,& P. He could have a made a very special thanks somewhere else. His also has the extra insert the others didn't have. And is Ace's the only one with a signature?

They were pretty cohesive by design but they dropped the ball right before the endzone with these little nitpicks.
50poundnote
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by 50poundnote »

These are not the American versions, i.e. home turf. In the States they were standard Casablanca 45s in "camel" sleeves.

Pye records in the UK did the picture sleeves, probably because they knew it would suit their market better...same as Germany altering the KISS logo. There wasn't a lot of standardization across labels at that time, with each label doing what they thought would best suit their own market...think of how Capitol in the US absolutely butchered The Beatles' catalog.

I doubt Dennis, Sean, or anyone at Casablanca made the decision. They probably didn't care as long as the money rolled in.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Not really worth dwelling on. Someone working for the sleeve design company would have thought it up and gone for it. With the coloured vinyl, picture labels and masks, these are the best singles they ever released IMO. Perfection. The ones in the box with the standard Casablanca labels with the large centre holes and masks that aren’t even cut out, are vastly inferior to the originals.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

I also like the fact that they're advertised as "limited edition" - I've always assumed that meant limited to how many they could sell, as I don't think I ever saw a standard black vinyl pressing of any of them. If they exist, THEY'RE the rarity!
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

Could've called Ace's New York Blue. Or Blue York Groove.
gene therapist
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by gene therapist »

Limited Edition in "Hold" Me, "Touch" Me (Purple-skinned When I Depart) Vinyl
Ted Maul's Paradise
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Ted Maul's Paradise »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: ↑Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:34 am I also like the fact that they're advertised as "limited edition" - I've always assumed that meant limited to how many they could sell, as I don't think I ever saw a standard black vinyl pressing of any of them. If they exist, THEY'RE the rarity!
Yes, there were U.K. black vinyl versions of both Radioactive & H.M.T.Me with pic labels and in picture sleeves. (No "free mask" with those; the 'blurb was blacked out. (Those 2 are hard to find with the correct 'covers, especially Paul's).

N.Y.Groove 7" was also released on black; no pic label or sleeve, just standard Pye/Casablanca label.
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

Blue York Groove and Aint Quite Purple... love β€˜em lol

How’s bout:

I Can’t Stop The Green

Living In Crim-sin

Hold Me, Touch Me (Think Of Me When We’re Apurple)

Snowblue

Easy Green

Red Of 1000 Faces

Lavender In Chains

Speedin Back To My Bluey
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

Ted Maul's Paradise wrote: ↑Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:02 am
Glasgow Kiss wrote: ↑Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:34 am I also like the fact that they're advertised as "limited edition" - I've always assumed that meant limited to how many they could sell, as I don't think I ever saw a standard black vinyl pressing of any of them. If they exist, THEY'RE the rarity!
Yes, there were U.K. black vinyl versions of both Radioactive & H.M.T.Me with pic labels and in picture sleeves. (No "free mask" with those; the 'blurb was blacked out. (Those 2 are hard to find with the correct 'covers, especially Paul's).

N.Y.Groove 7" was also released on black; no pic label or sleeve, just standard Pye/Casablanca label.
Yep, I've never even seen a regular black wax Paul solo single, either in a picture sleeve or Casablanca sleeve. Not quite why they would have bothered, really. Gene's single was the biggest 'hit' the band would enjoy until Creatures broke into the Top 40 a few years later, so I always imagined Radioactive had a 2nd pressing. But then, New York Groove was also pressed as a black vinyl and was as much as a flop as they were used to. Strange one, really. Also important to remember I think the singles came in pairs, rather than all released together. A few weeks apart between January-February 1979 I think.

I've also read even the Peter single was pressed in black, but again, I've never seen one.
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

Oh, and...

Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

Someone here also has the in-store displays as well. Very cool.
Ted Maul's Paradise
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Ted Maul's Paradise »

Where's Drago? wrote: ↑Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:43 am Oh, and...

8) There's a couple of different versions of that Pye 'Radioactive' ad, one that quotes the SOUNDS single review of it in Jan 1979. :)

Here's the ad for Paul's single from the U.K. trade weekly mag. Music Week:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

Ted Maul's Paradise wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:57 am
Where's Drago? wrote: ↑Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:43 am Oh, and...

8) There's a couple of different versions of that Pye 'Radioactive' ad, one that quotes the SOUNDS single review of it in Jan 1979. :)

Here's the ad for Paul's single from the U.K. trade weekly mag. Music Week:
'P.O.S.' in this case meaning 'point of sale' rather than 'piece of shit' of course.

At least, I think so...
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

Actually, joking aside, if the Paul as is referring to a POS campaign, I wonder what that was? I guess it'll be the in-store promo stuff I've seen elsewhere, but other than that, I've not heard of anything else. πŸ€”
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Where's Drago? wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:11 am Actually, joking aside, if the Paul as is referring to a POS campaign, I wonder what that was? I guess it'll be the in-store promo stuff I've seen elsewhere, but other than that, I've not heard of anything else. πŸ€”
I think the biggest POS Paul ad campaign was for the Live To Win album which ran in the UK music magazines including Kerrang and which caused much hilarity at the time:

Live To Win: out now - features the single Bulletpoof!!
highvoltage1969

Post by highvoltage1969 »

Where's Drago? wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:11 am Actually, joking aside, if the Paul as is referring to a POS campaign, I wonder what that was? I guess it'll be the in-store promo stuff I've seen elsewhere, but other than that, I've not heard of anything else.
Yeah, probably counter display, posters, stuff like that.
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:11 am I think the biggest POS Paul ad campaign was for the Live To Win album which ran in the UK music magazines including Kerrang and which caused much hilarity at the time:

Still got that damn advert, lol. Awkward.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Where's Drago? wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:50 am
Glasgow Kiss wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:11 am I think the biggest POS Paul ad campaign was for the Live To Win album which ran in the UK music magazines including Kerrang and which caused much hilarity at the time:

I don't get it. What was the joke? I feel like an idiot lol
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:00 am

In the UK, "poof" is an outdated and seldom used these days derogatory term for a gentleman who prefers to play on the all boys' team.

It's that unfortunate kind of typo that the record company could have gotten away with across the Atlantic but had everybody over here rolling about on the floor.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Glasgow Kiss wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:04 am

In the UK, "poof" is an outdated and seldom used these days derogatory term for a gentleman who prefers to play on the all boys' team.

It's that unfortunate kind of typo that the record company could have gotten away with across the Atlantic but had everybody over here rolling about on the floor.
I never noticed the typo. Blind as well as stupid.

PS: I know what a poof is, I'm from your neck of the woods :) Assuming you're actually from Glasgow and not one of these "my great great great great great great great grandfather was a highland Scotchman from Edinboro" types :lol:
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:10 am
Glasgow Kiss wrote: ↑Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:04 am

I never noticed the typo. Blind as well as stupid.

PS: I know what a poof is, I'm from your neck of the woods :) Assuming you're actually from Glasgow and not one of these "my great great great great great great great grandfather was a highland Scotchman from Edinboro" types :lol:
No, I'm defo Glaswegian - that being said I was born about 300 yards outside the city limits and I currently live in South Lanarkshire, but I lived in the city proper most of my life.

It's more a state of mind than a postcode anyway :)