Cool story about the "Gimme KISS" cassette

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Julien
Whee Wan

Cool story about the "Gimme KISS" cassette

Post by Julien »

Received an email from a fellow named Christopher with a story to share about the famed "Gimme KISS" promotional only cassette tape from the early 1990s. It may be of interest to some collectors:

"I happen to own the promotional cassette 'Gimme Kiss.' I saw that you welcomed commentary on your website, so I thought I would pass along some to you.

I was worked at the store Musicland from 1987-90. My manager informed me of a contest Polygram was running regarding the best endcap displays for the album 'Hot in the Shade.' I should also mention that this was right before the Hot in the Shade Tour was about to start.

So, being a Kiss fan, I put together an endcap full of album flats, cd's and cassettes along with streamers to really make it pop. I took a polaroid of the endcap and sent it (per the instructions) to Polygram's promotional department. A couple weeks later I received a package from Polygram. The letter informed me that I was one of the winners, and they sent me a very large poster of Kiss (live shots of the four of them from the Crazy Nights tour), a red and white backstage pass to their upcoming show here in Maine (I think they played in Old Orchard Beach?), and the 'Gimme Kiss' promotional cassette.

I no longer have the backstage pass or the poster, but my un-played Gimme Kiss cassette survived the last 31 years beautifully."

So, interesting story about someone receiving one from the label, and the context! Love this stuff. Thanks for sharing Christopher!
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re: Cool story about the "Gimme KISS" cassette

Post by Tallbear13 »

Really Cool story a first hand account if that event and promotion
ManOf1000Faces
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ManOf1000Faces »

Cool.
KISSTRONAUT
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

Nice story and a cool souvenir to have.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Very Kool!!!
Booman
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Booman »

I hung around a record store around the same time and was asked to bring my Kiss collection in and set up a display for the contest. Never heard back but it’s nice to read someone did. I’ll see if I can find my pix of what we did.
nightwingken
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!
Location: Celebrating 12 years whining.Complaining since 2001.

Post by nightwingken »

Excellent!
KissKing73
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by KissKing73 »

I worked for Music World in Montreal and got loads of free swag from reps. Album flats, concert tickets, free LPs and CDs, posters and getting the albums before the release dates.

One of the best jobs I ever had, and it was always a thrill when the Polygram rep would come by and we’d get to open the boxes for Kiss release day.
OrigialEraFan
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by OrigialEraFan »

My friend did the same contest and was told he was a winner and got a white sweatshirt with a red KISS logo non the front.