SPENCER'S MERCH

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Where do you weigh in on KISS merch from Spencer Gifts, 1997-2010ish

I Enjoyed Seeing That Much KISS Merch On The Shelves And Bought Most Or All Of It
7%
I Enjoyed Seeing That Much KISS Merch On The Shelves And Bought Quite A Bit Of It
14%
I Enjoyed Seeing That Much KISS Merch On The Shelves And Bought Some Of It
46%
I Enjoyed Seeing That Much KISS Merch On The Shelves But Didn't Buy Any Of It
17%
I Disliked Seeing That Much KISS Merch On The Shelves But Bought Quite A Bit Of It
No votes
I Disliked Seeing That Much KISS Merch On The Shelves But Bought Some Of It
1%
I Disliked Seeing That Much KISS Merch On The Shelves And Didn't Buy Any Of It
No votes
I Disliked Seeing That Much KISS Merch On The Shelves And Was Embarrassed To Be A Fan
4%
I Was Completely Ambivalent About Seeing That Much KISS Merch On The Shelves
1%
I Was Completely Indifferent About Seeing That Much KISS Merch On The Shelves
2%
I Did Not See Any Of The KISS Merch On The Shelves During That Period Of Time
2%
None Of The Above/Other (Feel Free To Comment)
5%

Total votes: 98

MrPaulStanley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

SPENCER'S MERCH

Post by MrPaulStanley »

The merch that was sold retail at Spencer Gifts primarily gets a bad rap, and for the most part, I can understand why many feel that way.

There was, however, some stuff that I actually liked and did purchase: The 1/3 scale figures from Art Asylum, the Biff Bang Pow lunchboxes, the Gruntz figures, a few sets of pub glasses, a heavy logo throw blanket, and that's about all I can think of off the top of my head. There may be a few items I am overlooking.

I didn't buy much of the 70's retail stuff at the time either because it was mostly geared toward the younger fans, especially 1978-1980.
Strutterer
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Re: SPENCER'S MERCH

Post by Strutterer »

I bought a few pieces back then, mostly out of novelty. The stuff was low quality merch, not unlike what you can get from Amazon or Walmart these days.

I have a coffee mug and some figurines somewhere.
MrPaulStanley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by MrPaulStanley »

Strutterer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:53 pm I bought a few pieces back then, mostly out of novelty. The stuff was low quality merch, not unlike what you can get from Amazon or Walmart these days.

Yeah, much of the ceramic & resin stuff wasn't that great. Is there anything from the 70's (aside from the albums & posters) that you would consider high quality merch?
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

I virtually bought none of it. Wasn't impressed.
battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by battra »

I remember having a chip and dip bowl.

It broke.
Sam T Serpent
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Sam T Serpent »

I got a few items throughout the years. Sold 90% of my collection this year and the Spencer’s merch has made me some good money. Definitely kept its value plus more.
MrPaulStanley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by MrPaulStanley »

battra wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:43 pm I remember having a chip and dip bowl.

It broke.
This set?
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrPaulStanley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by MrPaulStanley »

Sam T Serpent wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:01 pm I got a few items throughout the years. Sold 90% of my collection this year and the Spencer’s merch has made me some good money. Definitely kept its value plus more.
Yep. The earlier stuff is almost 25 years old already, much of it has maintained its value and some of it can collect some serious coin.
battra

Post by battra »

MrPaulStanley wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:03 pm
battra wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:43 pm I remember having a chip and dip bowl.

It broke.
This set?

image.png
Yup.

I bought it for superbowl whilst I was a manager at Spencers.

It broke.

:(
KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

I enjoyed seeing the KISS items and bought some of it. Different strokes for different folks.
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

At first i enjoyed it. Took me back to the 70s for a while. I bought a few things. The stuffed Dynasty bears after they were marked for clearance. The trading card sets and the magazines. By the time Sucko Circus rolled around it had lost its appeal and i started seeing most of it as the junk it truly was. I couldn't believe the poor and inane quality a lot of the stuff had. Not to mention that they were doing exactly what they were apologizing for just a couple of short years earlier. Flooding the market with mostly crap merchandise. That hasn't stopped. Now with the bad ass Destroyer box set maybe we can get back to focusing on the music and being a band again.
jestor92
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by jestor92 »

I got the KISS acrylic light back around the reunion. It cracked on me a few years ago. Loved having that on for light when I was in college.
thundergod76
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by thundergod76 »

I bought so much Spencer's stuff and probably sold 90% of it. I still have all 4 steins though. I still get compliments on them from time to time.
Ludwig Paiste 77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Ludwig Paiste 77 »

The only KISS memorabilia I have from Spencer gifts is from somebody that bought it for me, I don't know I bought a Gene coaster from a gas station 15 years ago does that count? I love my extensive KISS Album collection and vintage buttons and patches , posters and magazines, if it doesn't sat Aucoin I'm not paying!
missingdiver

Post by missingdiver »

The only stuff I got in the late 90’s was the new figures at toys are us. Never got any spencers stuff though I always stopped in and looked at it. I got a couple kiss magazines too from metal edge or whoever at the time.
PsychoElder
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by PsychoElder »

I bought a lot of that stuff and still have it. Some of that stuff was cool.
peterparker78
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by peterparker78 »

Strangely, the local Spencer's sold Kiss merch for huge discounts literally a couple of weeks after it came in to stock. E.g. Alive! stage set was initially arond £45 ($60ish), 2 weeks later I picked up 2 at £15 each ($20ish) :shock: . I know, I soon learnt though and managed to resist the obvious, immediate & essential purchase (must.wait.for.price.drop), saved me a packet and picked up some items to sell on for a profit. Said Spencer's store since closed down a few years ago, I wonder why :wink: ....
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

Strutterer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:53 pm I bought a few pieces back then, mostly out of novelty. The stuff was low quality merch, not unlike what you can get from Amazon or Walmart these days.

Me too...if the price was decent and i liked it,then I grabbed it. Never spent any outrageous amount on stuff. Still have what I bought.
Somebody Backstage
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Somebody Backstage »

Poor quality stuff, really. It's not really for fans to buy. It's more for kids to buy Dad a gag gift for his birthday because they know he was a Kiss fan as a kid. Dad then unwraps it, has a good laugh, and then it goes into the junk drawer. Probably never even gets pulled out of the packaging. But it served its purpose.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

I live in Scotland. We don't have Spencers here. Shit, we barely have KISS.
Ted Maul's Paradise
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Ted Maul's Paradise »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:07 am I live in Scotland. We don't have Spencers here. Shit, we barely have KISS.
:lol: "we" did used to have Spencer Gifts in the U.K. in the early 2000's. I'm not sure how many stores; but there was one in Leicester and another in Dartford.

They sold a lot of what was available in the U.S. at the time; the McFarlane figues & boxset's, Dynasty bears, bookends, clocks, incense burners, etc, etc.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

Ted Maul's Paradise wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:49 am
TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:07 am I live in Scotland. We don't have Spencers here. Shit, we barely have KISS.
:lol: "we" did used to have Spencer Gifts in the U.K. in the early 2000's. I'm not sure how many stores; but there was one in Leicester and another in Dartford.

They sold a lot of what was available in the U.S. at the time; the McFarlane figues & boxset's, Dynasty bears, bookends, clocks, incense burners, etc, etc.
Wonder if there were any in Scotland after all. Either way, I never knew about it. The only place I remember selling KISS stuff outside of CDs and records was Forbidden Planet in Edinburgh.
metalfuel

Post by metalfuel »

I loved that stuff but I have none, difficult to get over here in Europe.
Ted Maul's Paradise
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Ted Maul's Paradise »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:08 am
Ted Maul's Paradise wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:49 am

Wonder if there were any in Scotland after all. Either way, I never knew about it. The only place I remember selling KISS stuff outside of CDs and records was Forbidden Planet in Edinburgh.
It's possible there was a store in Scotland, I've just google'd it and apparently, there were 14 stores in the U.K.

Yes, I used to pick up quite a bit of KISS stuff from Forbidden Planet and a store called "Another World" that had a few branches.
nightwingken
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!
Location: Celebrating 12 years whining.Complaining since 2001.

Post by nightwingken »

I was happy to see it when it came out. It later became the bane of my existence. For any event, I was gifted the same crap over and over again.
Hi I'm Witz

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

I bought the Todd McFarland KISS Alive figures. Still have them neatly boxed away. I THINK (if memory serves) that's the only non-music related thing I bought. I thought the big, jumbo Destroyer figures were cool too but I couldn't justify the price on those enough to buy them.
Sssnakester

Post by Sssnakester »

Not enough answer options in this poll for me. I refuse ro participate.
MrPaulStanley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by MrPaulStanley »

Sssnakester wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:02 pm Not enough answer options in this poll for me. I refuse ro participate.
:D
MrPaulStanley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by MrPaulStanley »

nightwingken wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:45 am I was happy to see it when it came out. It later became the bane of my existence. For any event, I was gifted the same crap over and over again.
I was fortunate enough to escape most of that during that period, although someone from work did gift me a KISS solo album tie for Christmas one year. In the 70's though, I got 3 Destroyer puzzles, 1 each year for 3 consecutive years...from the same relative :)
gothunder

Post by gothunder »

Fun times.
MrPaulStanley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by MrPaulStanley »

peterparker78 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:36 pm Strangely, the local Spencer's sold Kiss merch for huge discounts literally a couple of weeks after it came in to stock. E.g. Alive! stage set was initially arond £45 ($60ish), 2 weeks later I picked up 2 at £15 each ($20ish) :shock: . I know, I soon learnt though and managed to resist the obvious, immediate & essential purchase (must.wait.for.price.drop), saved me a packet and picked up some items to sell on for a profit. Said Spencer's store since closed down a few years ago, I wonder why :wink: ....
Yeah, Spencer Gifts has been a staple in our malls in So Cal since at least the early 70's, maybe even the late 60's. I think in the early to mid 00's it was rebranded to "Spencer's". It's still very much alive here, but I guess their overseas experiment failed.
MrPaulStanley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by MrPaulStanley »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:48 am I bought the Todd McFarland KISS Alive figures. Still have them neatly boxed away. I THINK (if memory serves) that's the only non-music related thing I bought. I thought the big, jumbo Destroyer figures were cool too but I couldn't justify the price on those enough to buy them.
Cool! I paid full price for the first set, but got the Love Gun versions at a great discount.

I would have lunch at the food court about once a week and would cruise through Spencer's on my way out, and if the manager was there I would point up to the LG figures on the top shelf and ask, "Still full price?", and he would laugh and say, "Yep". Then, one Friday, I walked in and before I even made halfway through the store he asked me, "If I offered you the full set for $200, would you get them out of here today? I need the space." I went, "Sold!".
jconnors
Location: OHIO STATE BUCKEYES 2018 AND 2019 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Post by jconnors »

I still have and use the lamp
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

This quality item reminds heavily of the film The Human Centipede. But Gene dribbles blood and ... and everything! Bruce gotta have it--!!
GACatmandu

Post by GACatmandu »

I bought both sets of the teddy bears and extra Peter bears for my girls, my youngest still has hers and calls him Petey to this day, she slept holding that bear all the way up till she got married, she makes him clothes with he sowing machine and keeps him on display on a shelf in their living room to this day, she's had Petey since she was three years old and is 25 years old now. We were going to have Peter sign that old ratty bear at the Fanboy meet and greet in Indy that got canceled.
tomg
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by tomg »

I have lots of Spencer’s merchandise but need to sell some .what is the best way to sell it
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

eBay.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

GACatmandu wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:03 pm she slept holding that bear all the way up till she got married
:shock:
Gavc23
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Gavc23 »

[/quote]

Yeah my then girlfriend, now wife, still goes on that I dragged her off a bus when I saw the figures in the window of the old shop at Teviot as we went past.

Not only did I spend a load of money that we didn’t have - we also missed our train and had to fork out for new tickets and then cart all four boxes to London and back for what was supposed to be a romantic weekend away.