VIP Soundcheck, Tommy - Shock Me

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Australia1980
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: VIP Soundcheck, Tommy - Shock Me

Post by Australia1980 »

Man of a Thousand Aces wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:05 pm
Australia1980 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:33 pm
Man of a Thousand Aces wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:13 pm
KISSTRONAUT wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:10 pm That would be a cool experience to witness.
Not as cool as this
Did this really happen? Or was it just a photoshopping fanboy's jizzfest?
You figure it out, Einstein.
Well, since you were all "Not as cool as this!", and since you've been posting here for a long time, I thought there may have been some semblance of reality to the pic.

Anyway, jizz on, fanboy.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

KISSFAQ - bringing KISS geniuses together for two decades.
Man of a Thousand Aces
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

Australia1980 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:28 pm
Man of a Thousand Aces wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:13 pm

Not as cool as this
Well, since you were all "Not as cool as this!", and since you've been posting here for a long time, I thought there may have been some semblance of reality to the pic.

You say "fanboy like it's a bad thing". I'd rather be a fanboy than a ridiculous troll.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Man of a Thousand Aces on Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sagedrummer
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sagedrummer »

It’s too bad they don’t just play the normal shows in regular shoes and not the platforms. I think it really slows them down and creates the statue vibe. I think if they were wearing sneakers during the shows their would be a lot more energy and movement.
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

Agerst1574 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:33 pm I have to say I enjoyed the version of Got To Choose that was posted here. Just good to see them perform the song with no backing tape and I thought the backup vocals were good. I just wish we can see them do something like this during the show.
The unfortunate thing is Paul doesn't have many of these types of songs where he can lay back his voice, maybe Firehouse. His vocal styling in the studio has always been powerful and preachy. He just doesn't have that in him for 4 shows a week.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

sagedrummer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:58 pm It’s too bad they don’t just play the normal shows in regular shoes and not the platforms. I think it really slows them down and creates the statue vibe. I think if they were wearing sneakers during the shows their would be a lot more energy and movement.
This is what I don't understand. Why haven't they let the characters and costumes age with them? Paul, the aging lothario in a waistcoat and Cuban heels who is a little older and greyer but undeniably still has "it." Gene the grizzled and battle-scarred demonic warrior in leather and chains. Eric the patriarchial king of beasts with greying fur and Tommy the cynical, seen-it-all Spaceman, veteran of a thousand intergalactic battles.

I mean, it would be SO EASY to drop the fabled "40lbs of gear" and still have the characters. Makes you wonder if anyone in or close to the band really cares at all.
Spiritual_Chaos
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:20 am
sagedrummer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:58 pm It’s too bad they don’t just play the normal shows in regular shoes and not the platforms. I think it really slows them down and creates the statue vibe. I think if they were wearing sneakers during the shows their would be a lot more energy and movement.
This is what I don't understand. Why haven't they let the characters and costumes age with them? Paul, the aging lothario in a waistcoat and Cuban heels who is a little older and greyer but undeniably still has "it." Gene the grizzled and battle-scarred demonic warrior in leather and chains. Eric the patriarchial king of beasts with greying fur and Tommy the cynical, seen-it-all Spaceman, veteran of a thousand intergalactic battles.

I mean, it would be SO EASY to drop the fabled "40lbs of gear" and still have the characters. Makes you wonder if anyone in or close to the band really cares at all.
I get the reason for having the characters be frozen in time, and not age.

But I think it would have been graceful and kind of cool for the EOTR tour to "age" the characters.

But, no one cares about the platformboots - they could have quietly removed them at any tour post the reunion tour in 96.

"You want a tshirt Junior? NO! Did you even watch the show mom? They weren't wearing their platformboots! KISS is a scam!"
spaceace1977
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by spaceace1977 »

In the Suds wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:11 pm Why doesn't Singer know how to play Shock Me? Damn.
It's just all so sad and pathetic.
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

Statuegirl21 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:30 pm
KISSFAQ - bringing KISS geniuses together for two decades.
You seem to fit right in
banks

Post by banks »

Tommy didn't play the SM solo THAT differently did he. :scratch:

Incdentally, when did Paul start to have that wide vibrato in his voice he has on GTC there? Has he always had that? I've started to pay attention to it only during the last few years. 8)
battra

Post by battra »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:30 pm
battra wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:23 pm It's amazing how Ace brought in his lack of balance into his character right? :)

There was no character.

There never has been.
No one is saying give Ace an academy award for acting out the role of the spaceman. All I'm saying is the costume/character fit him like a glove because it was an extension of who he is. And the character/persona or whatever you want to call it doesn't fit Tommy, IMO.
I agree. Tommy has always looked awkward portraying Ace Frehley

I don’t agree with it being a character. But you know, maybe I’m wrong.

I always took it as an over exaggerated version of Ace. In a way, that probably is a character. Sorry for my rudeness. Sometimes I don’t think before I click.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

battra wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:39 am I agree. Tommy has always looked awkward portraying Ace Frehley

I always took it as an over exaggerated version of Ace. In a way, that probably is a character. Sorry for my rudeness. Sometimes I don’t think before I click.
There's only one Ace, just like there's only one Paul, one Gene and one Peter. and that's why I question whether KISS can continue on without Gene and Paul--I personally don't see it happening, but maybe I'm wrong.
Tommyr

Post by Tommyr »

In the Suds wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:11 pm Why doesn't Singer know how to play Shock Me? Damn.
Can't stand his drumming. The fucking guy is all over the place. Not a fan.
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

It infuriated me on the Sonic Boom Tour when they'd perform this tune. I have absolutely no care whatsoever it's an Ace tune. I'm not precious about it. But Tommy had his vocal debut on that album, and on a half decent tune as well. They binned that off and opted to perform Shock Me. It pissed me off then, and still does now.

But to perform it in an intimate setting as this, honestly, what would be the deeper cut? Tommy doing Shock Me or Tommy singing his own song in front of 50 die-hards?

Baffling.

Completely baffling.
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

battra wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:39 am
Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:30 pm
battra wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:23 pm It's amazing how Ace brought in his lack of balance into his character right? :)

There was no character.

There never has been.
No one is saying give Ace an academy award for acting out the role of the spaceman. All I'm saying is the costume/character fit him like a glove because it was an extension of who he is. And the character/persona or whatever you want to call it doesn't fit Tommy, IMO.
I agree. Tommy has always looked awkward portraying Ace Frehley

I guess it depends on how you perceive what Tommy is doing. Is he being a generic Spaceman that now exists entirely apart from Ace? Initially, the KISS characters were based on exaggerations of unique, defining characteristics of the original musicians in KISS-from what I understand. It was those personalities that rocketed them. I guess legally Ace sold his attachment to the Spaceman, but can you really detach Ace from the Spaceman? You can if you chose to. Tommy seems like a fine dude, but that version of Shock Me is pedestrian IMO.
battra

Post by battra »

Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:35 pm I guess it depends on how you perceive what Tommy is doing. Is he being a generic Spaceman that now exists entirely apart from Ace? Initially, the KISS characters were based on exaggerations of unique, defining characteristics of the original musicians in KISS-from what I understand. It was those personalities that rocketed them. I guess legally Ace sold his attachment to the Spaceman, but can you really detach Ace from the Spaceman? You can if you chose to. Tommy seems like a fine dude, but that version of Shock Me is pedestrian IMO.
They told me for 40 years that those personas were who they are personally.

So, when Tommy gets up there, pretending to be off balance like Ace, etc.... it's just him dressing up like the dude he replaced.

It is what it is and it's made Kiss loads of money.

But...it'd be better if Tommy didn't sing.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

battra wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:38 pm They told me for 40 years that those personas were who they are personally.

So, when Tommy gets up there, pretending to be off balance like Ace, etc.... it's just him dressing up like the dude he replaced.

It is what it is and it's made Kiss loads of money.

But...it'd be better if Tommy didn't sing.
Right, and that's the problem I have with Tommy as the SPACEMAN. He's not eccentric like Ace is. It's a bad recast (hell, I would even go so far as to say Tommy isn't much of an actor even trying to capture that wackiness that made the SPACEMAN so endearing to fans).

As for him singing, I have no problem with his voice, but I agree with the other poster who said in such a small intimate setting, let him sing the songs he recorded--When Lightning Strikes or Outta This World instead of the Ace songs. I mean what's next, they'll have him do New York Groove? That said, I could be wrong here but I thought the songs at the sound check are fan requested?
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

Where's Drago? wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:19 pm It infuriated me on the Sonic Boom Tour when they'd perform this tune. I have absolutely no care whatsoever it's an Ace tune. I'm not precious about it. But Tommy had his vocal debut on that album, and on a half decent tune as well. They binned that off and opted to perform Shock Me. It pissed me off then, and still does now.

But to perform it in an intimate setting as this, honestly, what would be the deeper cut? Tommy doing Shock Me or Tommy singing his own song in front of 50 die-hards?

Baffling.

Completely baffling.
You’re putting too much logic into your own reasoning. You should look at it from the point of view of KISS. Why learn a Sonic Boom song when they already know Shock Me?
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

They learnt how to play the Sonic Boom song when they recorded it earlier that same year.

And yes, that’s the exact time that it was obvious that they were a nostalgia act and Thayer was a tribute artist. Because they had first done Shock Me with Thayer in 2008, and that was what it was. But when he had his own song in 2009 and they chose not to play that but kept playing Shock Me, that just proved that they were full of shit. They finally had the chance to silence the critics and show that Thayer was his own guy, and they didn’t take it. They doubled down on showing everyone that he was an Ace cosplayer.
Rockandrolloverman

Post by Rockandrolloverman »

He sounds good

Good to see Paul is maintaining his “Kiss conditioning “

But Gene looks to be getting a noticably thicker midsection
Soylent Gene

Post by Soylent Gene »

Gene looks like he’s put a on a few lbs.
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

gabbagabba wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:20 am Gene has lost weight........................
Eric sounds really good, he doesn't seem confused...............................
You think? Gene looks like a whale.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:20 am

Without Delaney, Aucoin and Bogart they just don’t seem to have come up with any good ideas. It’s all just lame retreads of their glory days. Left to their own devices their concepts were lame as hell. Animalize? Hot in the Shade? Psycho Circus? All dumb ideas that should have been passed over for actual concepts.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Yup, just listened to it again. Tommy definitely changed up the solo and I can't honestly say I'm crazy about what he did with it.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Whatever Tommy is doing here is a much smaller problem than G&P's backing vocals. Yikes!
stutterer

Post by stutterer »

Japanese wooden geta would do nicely for the Japan shows.
gabbagabba
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by gabbagabba »

Much Too Soon wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:19 pm
gabbagabba wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:20 am Gene has lost weight........................
Eric sounds really good, he doesn't seem confused...............................
Yep... and Eric seems confused :wink:
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

You guys know this isn't a performance, right? Of course Gene isn't doing Demon stuff and the instrumentation doesn't isn't tight as a drum - it's a sound check. The most boring part of a touring musician's day, when you run through a song or two on 20% energy (if you're really trying) and then drummer hits each drum in succession for what feels like an eternity and then the singer counts to two for seeming hours and hours while a guy fiddles with some knobs and sliders at a sound desk. It's solely to get the levels right for the gig later on. KISS have just found a way to monetise what is essentially a boring-ass technical rehearsal.
Tito

Post by Tito »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:52 am You guys know this isn't a performance, right? Of course Gene isn't doing Demon stuff and the instrumentation doesn't isn't tight as a drum - it's a sound check. The most boring part of a touring musician's day, when you run through a song or two on 20% energy (if you're really trying) and then drummer hits each drum in succession for what feels like an eternity and then the singer counts to two for seeming hours and hours while a guy fiddles with some knobs and sliders at a sound desk. It's solely to get the levels right for the gig later on. KISS have just found a way to monetise what is essentially a boring-ass technical rehearsal.
I'm pretty sure the actual soundcheck is done by the crew. Before they started selling tickets to this, I seriously doubt the full band was there doing this, let alone playing songs that aren't in the actual show.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Tito wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:24 am
TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:52 am You guys know this isn't a performance, right? Of course Gene isn't doing Demon stuff and the instrumentation doesn't isn't tight as a drum - it's a sound check. The most boring part of a touring musician's day, when you run through a song or two on 20% energy (if you're really trying) and then drummer hits each drum in succession for what feels like an eternity and then the singer counts to two for seeming hours and hours while a guy fiddles with some knobs and sliders at a sound desk. It's solely to get the levels right for the gig later on. KISS have just found a way to monetise what is essentially a boring-ass technical rehearsal.
I'm pretty sure the actual soundcheck is done by the crew. Before they started selling tickets to this, I seriously doubt the full band was there doing this, let alone playing songs that aren't in the actual show.
In that case, they're being smart as hell because they can half ass it and play as shitty as they like with a built-in get out clause - "it's just a soundcheck."
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

It’s not a soundcheck for gods sake. They’re charging people a couple of grand to watch them come and play a few songs on stage. The actual soundcheck was done hours ago by the crew. As you said, soundcheck s are very boring and it’s literally the drummer hitting the same drum over and over for two minutes while they check the levels etc and make sure the triggers are working. That’s not what they’re doing. It’s not a soundcheck.
Tail of a hurricane

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Man of a Thousand Aces wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:53 pm
Australia1980 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:28 pm

You say "fanboy like it's a bad thing". I'd rather be a fanboy than a ridiculous troll. image.png
Agree
savage_dreams

Post by savage_dreams »

KingOfHearts89 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:07 am and they seem to be playing it at a snails pace,
What snails pace? its actually a slight bit faster than the studio version.
Last edited by savage_dreams on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
savage_dreams

Post by savage_dreams »

Statuegirl21 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:41 am
It’s not a soundcheck for gods sake. They’re charging people a couple of grand to watch them come and play a few songs on stage. The actual soundcheck was done hours ago by the crew. As you said, soundcheck s are very boring and it’s literally the drummer hitting the same drum over and over for two minutes while they check the levels etc and make sure the triggers are working. That’s not what they’re doing. It’s not a soundcheck.
first of all, yes soundcheck, there is the the hitting of a same drum over and over, but a band also does full songs, thats the only way you can tell if the mix is right. hitting a drum over and over doesnt tell you that. i dont know if they do a full band soundcheck before these events or not, but either way it doesnt matter. if you are a pro, and you have a show to do in a few hours, you dont go full out at a soundcheck, especially at their age, whether its open to fans or not. if you go into this expecting a full fledged show youre a moron.

and since im sure youre one who bitches and doesnt even go, why the fuck do you care?
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Statuegirl21 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:41 am
Yeah, Tito and me already had this discussion. Go off though, by all means.
savage_dreams

Post by savage_dreams »

ok... ill play along with your theory. yes, the crew will usually do the full soundcheck, even playing songs. in most cases the actual band, as it is with most any professional band, will do some sort of soundcheck though. theres plenty of video and audio to back up that kiss does this often.

whether or not they do a full band check before these events or not, couldnt say. but if they dont, they would still use this as soundcheck to make adjustments for the band. it doesnt matter how much a crew soundchecks, how good they are, they still dont have the exact same ears as the band and wont always hear the same things.
Tito

Post by Tito »

savage_dreams wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:36 am
ok... ill play along with your theory. yes, the crew will usually do the full soundcheck, even playing songs. in most cases the actual band, as it is with most any professional band, will do some sort of soundcheck though. theres plenty of video and audio to back up that kiss does this often.

whether or not they do a full band check before these events or not, couldnt say. but if they dont, they would still use this as soundcheck to make adjustments for the band. it doesnt matter how much a crew soundchecks, how good they are, they still dont have the exact same ears as the band and wont always hear the same things.
As it is these days, we're talking about in ear monitor mixes, where things don't really change around that much (or at all) from night to night. It would be hilarious though if they added some scripted "can I get a little more Tommy guitar on my monitor?" type comments to proceedings, much like the faux informality (what should we play, what do you want to hear, etc.) of the acoustic sets.
vinniestkulick
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by vinniestkulick »

SpaceJan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:58 am :shock: That solo...
He had it until about half way... I don't hate this. It's the right place to do this song. electric soundchecks might be worth paying for. how much are they? (and yes, of course they aren't the real soundchecks...)
Last edited by vinniestkulick on Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
vinniestkulick
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by vinniestkulick »

Much Too Soon wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:19 pm
On this we concur. :cyclopsani: too many covid cup cakes?!?
Ack66
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Ack66 »

Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:44 am Tommy has played the Spaceman role (AKA Ace) for so long that I wonder if he has moments when he forgets who he is and actually thinks he is Ace. It is very unusual to play the role of another person for as long as he has. I can't think of a comparable situation, but you might.
Silliest post ever. Of course Tommy doesn’t think he’s Ace. You people need some fresh air and therapy.
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Ack66 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:06 am
Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:44 am Tommy has played the Spaceman role (AKA Ace) for so long that I wonder if he has moments when he forgets who he is and actually thinks he is Ace. It is very unusual to play the role of another person for as long as he has. I can't think of a comparable situation, but you might.
Silliest post ever. Of course Tommy doesn’t think he’s Ace. You people need some fresh air and therapy.
Warning: Many of my post contain satire for those who have difficulties picking up on that sort of thing. Lighten up.
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:26 am
Warning: Many of my post contain satire for those who have difficulties picking up on that sort of thing. Lighten up.
I didn't think you were doing satire. Tommy has been impersonating Ace now for what, almost 30 years. And consistently day in and day out for almost 20. Anyone who does that and for so long, has that shit seep into their head. Especially when they don't really have a personality of their own. Not a knock on Tommy really, it's just the truth.

Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Maybe it is more tongue-in-cheek than anything. Reality is so subjective nowadays. I was chuckling while I wrote it, didn't think someone would get bent out of shape, it is impossible to not offend someone.
savage_dreams

Post by savage_dreams »

Tito wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:11 am
savage_dreams wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:36 am

As it is these days, we're talking about in ear monitor mixes, where things don't really change around that much (or at all) from night to night. It would be hilarious though if they added some scripted "can I get a little more Tommy guitar on my monitor?" type comments to proceedings, much like the faux informality (what should we play, what do you want to hear, etc.) of the acoustic sets.
in ear doesnt eliminate the need for soundcheck. sure its better these days, but the room still affects the overall sound. the PA buncing around the room will have some bleed in through vocal mics and drum mics, even if drums are triggered theres still mics for the cymbals. if guitars are mic'd there is still going to be some variance that needs to be tweaked for every setup.
Kisscomplicated
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Kisscomplicated »

spaceace1977 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:10 am Gene wears those 1984 pleather pants and 1989 Reebok Pumps every single day.
And the hat he only wears on tour to hide his extensions. I can do you one better , can you imagine what those pants must SMELL like ? I think I have made myself sick ! 😷
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

savage_dreams wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:25 am
KingOfHearts89 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:07 am and they seem to be playing it at a snails pace,
What snails pace? its actually a slight bit faster than the studio version.
Beat me to it. You're right.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

redinthesky wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 am
Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:26 am
I didn't think you were doing satire. Tommy has been impersonating Ace now for what, almost 30 years. And consistently day in and day out for almost 20. Anyone who does that and for so long, has that shit seep into their head. Especially when they don't really have a personality of their own. Not a knock on Tommy really, it's just the truth.

Or they're confident enough to not let things like a costume affect their inner psyche. Plus, I'd think that Thayer has seen and experienced enough "up close and personal" Frehley to really really really really NOT want to "actually be him". :lol:
spaceace1977
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by spaceace1977 »

Kisscomplicated wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:51 am
spaceace1977 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:10 am Gene wears those 1984 pleather pants and 1989 Reebok Pumps every single day.
And the hat he only wears on tour to hide his extensions. I can do you one better , can you imagine what those pants must SMELL like ? I think I have made myself sick ! 😷
You clearly meant WIG.
Frilly Pink
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Frilly Pink »

Nothing wrong with the solo, Tom was into it and it worked.
Although it was just a soundcheck the BVs were pretty bad
zach2442
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by zach2442 »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:21 pm
KingOfHearts89 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:13 pm I remember cringing when he went 'oh yea' at the end of his shooting rockets thing from the EOTR shows. Just a corny thing he said that you know Paul and Gene made him do it. Tommy isn't a quirky, out going character and I agree that doesn't help with the Spaceman character.
Right, he's more grounded which is why I personally struggle with him as the SPACEMAN. It's a bad recast. I don't know if you ever watched soap operas before, but there have been some memorable characters in soap opera history that if the actors playing them ever left, recasting the character would be sacrilegious.

That said, sometimes you luck out--the James Bond series arguably had success with recasting new actors in the role, but the actors chosen were all from the same cloth. Tommy and Ace? The only thing they have in common is they're guitar players and that's it. Tommy is grounded, steady and technical--you know what you're gonna get from him every time.

Ace is spontaneous, wacky (in a good way), and raw--you never know what he's gonna give you, which is part of the appeal.
I remember Kissonline had an interview with Tommy, who said he was crucified by fans for using Ace's moves a lot when he started out in KISS. Also remember he got absolutely slammed by fans using Ace's signature Cherry Sunburst Les Paul on one of the Kruises. It's sad, but quite funny.

Ace is Ace. Even now Ace is still using his moves without costume- it's just who he is and thats how I love it.

Tommy just doesn't have that "it" factor, he just works perfect with the current lineup. He makes G&P better performers and picks up the slack when the other 2 just don't have that energy. God bless Tommy for putting up with all that crap, wish fans treated him like Metallica fans treat Robert Trujillo.