VIP Soundcheck, Tommy - Shock Me

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

VIP Soundcheck, Tommy - Shock Me

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

Yes it's Ace's song, and they seem to be playing it at a snails pace, but Tommy's voice might actually be the strongest in the band. Surely he should be given at least this song to sing.
spaceace1977
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: VIP Soundcheck, Tommy - Shock Me

Post by spaceace1977 »

Gene wears those 1984 pleather pants and 1989 Reebok Pumps every single day.
gabbagabba
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by gabbagabba »

Gene has lost weight........................
Eric sounds really good, he doesn't seem confused...............................
YesterdaysLegend
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by YesterdaysLegend »

3/10
wjs296
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by wjs296 »

Gene and Paul do not express a lot interest in this song.
SpaceJan
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by SpaceJan »

:shock: That solo...
Eddie Van Hazel
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Cool seeing Paul wear a KISS t shirt.
KF73
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by KF73 »

I dig it. We pulled the trigger on the "Soundcheck Package" for ATL. Front row too... something telling me to go all out on this one! Now just hoping Kiss show #40 happens for me! Burned twice by c*vid so far!

On a side note... that's cool they are doing a "soundcheck only" package now. More enticing at that price and I don't need another photo with the band with all the other Captains Lounge and Emerald packs, etc.
MikeyB
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by MikeyB »

spaceace1977 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:10 am Gene wears those 1984 pleather pants and 1989 Reebok Pumps every single day.
MikeyB
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by MikeyB »

sacrilege
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

There is also Got to Choose up on this persons YouTube if you fancy watching

KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

KF73 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:04 am I dig it. We pulled the trigger on the "Soundcheck Package" for ATL. Front row too... something telling me to go all out on this one! Now just hoping Kiss show #40 happens for me! Burned twice by c*vid so far!

On a side note... that's cool they are doing a "soundcheck only" package now. More enticing at that price and I don't need another photo with the band with all the other Captains Lounge and Emerald packs, etc.
This is the first time I've seen them do it electric on this tour, they usually do this acoustically. I prefer this electric sound since they're doing it on the stage
67Kiss
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by 67Kiss »

Sounds good, thanks for sharing
Super Bee
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Super Bee »

Tommy sounds great doing this song. I actually wouldnt mind him taking over a couple Paul songs.
Bruce
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Bruce »

Tommy's great--!!
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

Tommy has a good voice. And it sounded like he changed up the solo (which I didn't like--why mess with a masterpiece?) I also thought the song's tempo dragged.
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

Tommy has played the Spaceman role (AKA Ace) for so long that I wonder if he has moments when he forgets who he is and actually thinks he is Ace. It is very unusual to play the role of another person for as long as he has. I can't think of a comparable situation, but you might.
tazchris
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by tazchris »

I hope they keep on doing it with electric guitars. It would definitely be worthwhile forking out to see this if they continued doing this with electric guitars. It is the only real chance to hear them play some deeper cuts. How much does it set you back for one of these VIP passes. It is wishful thinking on my part, but if they ever did swing our way I would love to take my sister seeing it would be our last time seeing KISS. It would be worth it to me the shell out a little extra.
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

Super Bee wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:36 am Tommy sounds great doing this song. I actually wouldnt mind him taking over a couple Paul songs.
Agreed, this and Outta This world to replace Say Yeah and Do You Love Me would seem the correct choices (Put I Was Made in the Encore, Paul can fly to Psycho Circus and Love Gun as he did in 2017).
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:26 am Tommy has a good voice. And it sounded like he changed up the solo (which I didn't like--why mess with a masterpiece?) I also thought the song's tempo dragged.
I agree, they played this song so slowly which might be why Tommy botched the solo up.
Strutterer
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Strutterer »

I love Paul's purple guitar! Looks great in a stripped down, non-makeup format. Is he playing this guitar live more often now? I haven't noticed in the other, more recent EOTR clips.
wjs296
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by wjs296 »

KingOfHearts89 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:59 am
Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:26 am Tommy has a good voice. And it sounded like he changed up the solo (which I didn't like--why mess with a masterpiece?) I also thought the song's tempo dragged.
I agree, they played this song so slowly which might be why Tommy botched the solo up.
I doubt it was the tempo, he sang it in that tempo so playing the solo at that tempo is easily doable. Either he was experimenting or he just didn't remember it.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

KingOfHearts89 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:59 am I agree, they played this song so slowly which might be why Tommy botched the solo up.
I don't think he botched the solo--I'd have to listen to it again but I didn't hear anything out of tune or anything cringeworthy. That said, he tweaked it for sure and I'm not wild about the tweaks which were probably dine to accommodate the slower tempo.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:44 am Tommy has played the Spaceman role (AKA Ace) for so long that I wonder if he has moments when he forgets who he is and actually thinks he is Ace. It is very unusual to play the role of another person for as long as he has. I can't think of a comparable situation, but you might.
Nah, I don't think that's the case. I mean let's be fair . Does anyone know what sort of direction Tommy is given regarding the songs? How much creative freedom he actually has to make solos and some of the tunes his own? I mean in this sound check, it LOOKS like he had some creative freedom to do something different, and if that was the case, I wasn't blown away.

The thing with Tommy is he's playing a character (Spaceman) not so much "Ace Frehley." I won't speak for others, but the problem I've always had t=with Tommy in the role is that he isn't a very believable SPACEMAN because he lacks that quirkiness Ace has that made the character work. Watch some of Ace's old performances and you'll see what I mean--he just acts "out there" when in character. Tommy has never quite captured that "Jendell persona" -- he's too grounded to be a SPACEMAN. Jut my two cents.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:44 am Tommy has played the Spaceman role (AKA Ace) for so long that I wonder if he has moments when he forgets who he is and actually thinks he is Ace. It is very unusual to play the role of another person for as long as he has. I can't think of a comparable situation, but you might.
Agreed.
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:51 pm
Nah, I don't think that's the case. I mean let's be fair . Does anyone know what sort of direction Tommy is given regarding the songs? How much creative freedom he actually has to make solos and some of the tunes his own? I mean in this sound check, it LOOKS like he had some creative freedom to do something different, and if that was the case, I wasn't blown away.

The thing with Tommy is he's playing a character (Spaceman) not so much "Ace Frehley." I won't speak for others, but the problem I've always had t=with Tommy in the role is that he isn't a very believable SPACEMAN because he lacks that quirkiness Ace has that made the character work. Watch some of Ace's old performances and you'll see what I mean--he just acts "out there" when in character. Tommy has never quite captured that "Jendell persona" -- he's too grounded to be a SPACEMAN. Jut my two cents.
I remember cringing when he went 'oh yea' at the end of his shooting rockets thing from the EOTR shows. Just a corny thing he said that you know Paul and Gene made him do it. Tommy isn't a quirky, out going character and I agree that doesn't help with the Spaceman character.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

KingOfHearts89 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:13 pm I remember cringing when he went 'oh yea' at the end of his shooting rockets thing from the EOTR shows. Just a corny thing he said that you know Paul and Gene made him do it. Tommy isn't a quirky, out going character and I agree that doesn't help with the Spaceman character.
Right, he's more grounded which is why I personally struggle with him as the SPACEMAN. It's a bad recast. I don't know if you ever watched soap operas before, but there have been some memorable characters in soap opera history that if the actors playing them ever left, recasting the character would be sacrilegious.

That said, sometimes you luck out--the James Bond series arguably had success with recasting new actors in the role, but the actors chosen were all from the same cloth. Tommy and Ace? The only thing they have in common is they're guitar players and that's it. Tommy is grounded, steady and technical--you know what you're gonna get from him every time.

Ace is spontaneous, wacky (in a good way), and raw--you never know what he's gonna give you, which is part of the appeal.
Agerst1574
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Agerst1574 »

I have to say I enjoyed the version of Got To Choose that was posted here. Just good to see them perform the song with no backing tape and I thought the backup vocals were good. I just wish we can see them do something like this during the show.
battra

Post by battra »

I'm giggling at the idea of Ace being "in character."

Seriously.

Ace on stage in 1974 is basically the same thing as Ace on stage in 2021...minus all the old man aches and an pains you see.

Imagine, someone sitting down with Ace, to give him direction and motivation.

<gigglesnort>
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

battra wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:35 pm I'm giggling at the idea of Ace being "in character."

Seriously.

Ace on stage in 1974 is basically the same thing as Ace on stage in 2021...minus all the old man aches and an pains you see.

<gigglesnort>
I don't think anyone gave Ace direction regarding his character. He invented the character and brought it to life, refining it as he went along.

My point is Tommy, in my opinion, isn't a fit for continuing that character Ace developed. Doesn't mean he couldn't have brought a different character to life successfully but that decision not to do so was made way above his pay rank.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

gabbagabba wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:20 am Gene has lost weight........................
He must have been massive before then because he looks like a fat cab driver in that video.
battra

Post by battra »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:13 pm
battra wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:35 pm I'm giggling at the idea of Ace being "in character."

Seriously.

<gigglesnort>
I don't think anyone gave Ace direction regarding his character. He invented the character and brought it to life, refining it as he went along.

My point is Tommy, in my opinion, isn't a fit for continuing that character Ace developed. Doesn't mean he couldn't have brought a different character to life successfully but that decision not to do so was made way above his pay rank.
It's amazing how Ace brought in his lack of balance into his character right? :)

There was no character.

There never has been.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Thayer puts on a weird voice when he sings that, it reminds me of Dio singing Ozzy songs.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Was thinking Paul sounded half passable here.

Man Gene looks miserable the whole way through. He wants to go home.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

battra wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:23 pm It's amazing how Ace brought in his lack of balance into his character right? :)

There was no character.

There never has been.
No one is saying give Ace an academy award for acting out the role of the spaceman. All I'm saying is the costume/character fit him like a glove because it was an extension of who he is. And the character/persona or whatever you want to call it doesn't fit Tommy, IMO.
Mahatma
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Mahatma »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:30 pm
battra wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:23 pm It's amazing how Ace brought in his lack of balance into his character right? :)

There was no character.

There never has been.
No one is saying give Ace an academy award for acting out the role of the spaceman. All I'm saying is the costume/character fit him like a glove because it was an extension of who he is. And the character/persona or whatever you want to call it doesn't fit Tommy, IMO.

Yep. all very true.
gabbagabba
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by gabbagabba »

Statuegirl21 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:22 pm
gabbagabba wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:20 am Gene has lost weight........................
He must have been massive before then because he looks like a fat cab driver in that video.
Exactly....it was a joyfully ironic sentence.
peterparker78
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by peterparker78 »

KingOfHearts89 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:07 am

Yes it's Ace's song, and they seem to be playing it at a snails pace, but Tommy's voice might actually be the strongest in the band. Surely he should be given at least this song to sing.
Not impressed by the apparent new costumes :lol: Though at least Paul is wearing a Kiss t-shrt which was a discussion issue earlier, seems he found a colour-schemed guitar in the back of his wardrobe too, behind his Dynasty costume. (nope, I got nothing to add)....
Seanjc
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Seanjc »

spaceace1977 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:10 am Gene wears those 1984 pleather pants and 1989 Reebok Pumps every single day.

I was just about to say the same thing. Quite the look!
KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

That would be a cool experience to witness.
Man of a Thousand Aces

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

I would hardly call that a snail's pace tempo. Sounded about average. Ace is the one who does things at a snail's pace these days.
Man of a Thousand Aces

KISSTRONAUT wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:10 pm That would be a cool experience to witness.
Not as cool as this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

Man of a Thousand Aces wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:13 pm
KISSTRONAUT wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:10 pm That would be a cool experience to witness.
Not as cool as this
I’m trying to stay in the realm of reality here :wink:
Soylent Gene

Post by Soylent Gene »

Don’t forget he used to play Ace in his KISS tribute band too. He’s been pretending he’s Ace Frehley for most of his life.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Why doesn't Singer know how to play Shock Me? Damn.
KissAlive35_09
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by KissAlive35_09 »

Interesting bass Gene is playing too.
Australia1980

Post by Australia1980 »

I wanna hear Tommy sing Dark Light and Talk To Me and Torpedo Girl!

And what about Hard Times and Save Your Love?

Rocket Ride?

Bring on the Toomy!
Last edited by Australia1980 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Australia1980

Post by Australia1980 »

KissAlive35_09 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:26 pm Interesting bass Gene is playing too.
Interesting that he's playing bass at all!

Doesn't he have better things to do?
Australia1980

Post by Australia1980 »

Not as cool as this
Did this really happen? Or was it just a photoshopping fanboy's jizzfest?
Man of a Thousand Aces

Australia1980 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:33 pm
Not as cool as this
Did this really happen? Or was it just a photoshopping fanboy's jizzfest?
You figure it out, Einstein.