Meeting the guys from best to worst

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Jemgirl
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Meeting the guys from best to worst

Post by Jemgirl »

I haven’t met any of them but I am just wondering, if you have met them which member did you have the most positive experience with and also was there anyone that was not so positive?.
southernkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Meeting the guys from best to worst

Post by southernkiss »

The only one I have met is Bruce! He was very humble! It was a great experience!
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

Gene, Bruce, Singer, Vinnie and Tommy were all super cool.

Paul, Ace and Mark were cool but distant.

Peter was a complete ass.

Never met Carr. 😑
Jemgirl
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Jemgirl »

southernkiss wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:14 am The only one I have met is Bruce! He was very humble! It was a great experience!
Bruce comes across as very down to earth and nice, He seems like a true gentleman and would be good to meet him.
Juern
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Juern »

Best to worth? Well, then…
Met Bruce in 1999 - it was a pleasure talking to him. He seemed to enjoy the short conversation as much as I did and even asked if he should sign something (I happily handed him the „Unplugged“ poster that came with the LP).

Met Peter at a KISS Convention in 1994 - he just took time to sign the LP I had brought and he almost said nothing. He commented the t-shirt my friend wore (it showed the cover of Gene‘s solo album) as being „not the right shirt“ and something along the line of „don‘t know if I should sign anything for you“. He did anyway when she handed him her copy of his solo album.

Vinnie excluded himself into a small booth with a window to sign stuff and „meet“ the fans at the Convention I was part of in 1996. Seriously: He got stuff handed in trough the window, signing it and giving it back.

I didn‘t meet Ace before he was sober, and meeting him in his room backstage in 1995 almost ruined my fandom for him. He was so blitzed… he didn‘t even understand what I asked him. George Sewitt took care I got what I wanted, which was an autograph for a friend who was a fan and couldn‘t make the trip to Rotterdam due to illness. I had asked Ace to sign a photo and to write something along the lines of „get well soon“… He couldn‘t cope…
mot$$33
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mot$$33 »

Ace. 1988 record store and his band was with him. They all were cordial. Not much time to interact.
gene therapist
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by gene therapist »

Juern wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:56 am I had asked Ace to sign a photo and to write something along the lines of „get well soon“… He couldn‘t cope…
There's something very ironic in this scenario. :)
The Barron
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by The Barron »

I've interviewed Bruce a few times and hung out with him for about an hour before a Grand Funk show about 15 years ago. Super nice with absolutely no ego or attitude at all. Just a regular guy. KISS-related, I've interviewed Stella Stevens twice and got her perspective of the music business as Bob Kulicn's girlfriend. Said Bob was a huge Yankee fan and also talked about the tribute records he produced.

I also did a phone interview with Gene when the symphony concert DVD came out. He was good with no issues.
Doose

Post by Doose »

The only "off" experience I've had was with Ace, when he did an in-store signing in the late 80s, and he was completely blitzed out of his mind and could barely say two words. That was the first and only time I met him.

Good experiences with Gene, Paul, Bruce, Eric Carr, Mark, Vinnie and Peter. I've never met Eric S. or Tommy.
Gene is KISS
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Gene is KISS »

Met the band in 1988 in London backstage with the Dutch Fanclub. I was overwhelmed because they were still like superheroes to me. I remember shaking Gene's hand and saying "You're the greatest, man" And he just said "Thank you" In my eyes that was not enough and said to him "No, i mean it man" I already saw the security getting ready ha ha. The band was pretty cool and posed for pics and gave autographs (and yes, then it was for FREE !!)
They played 2 dates in the Wembley Arena and on the other day we met Eric Carr at their hotel. very down to earth and nice. He took the time for us and we all had a good time.

Met Bruce and Eric (Singer) at a convention in the Netherlands. Bruce nice but a bit shy. Eric constantly talking. When we took our picture with them it was "no touching". A couple of minutes later a friend of mine wanted to pose with Eric and again "No touching" ha ha.

I saw Mark at another Dutch convention. He looked like a total trainwreck (drugs) so i had no desire to meet him at all. At the Q&A he seemed friendly, but i doubt he knew where he was at that moment.

During the Sonic Boom tour i did the € 1000 meet and greet. They all were in good spirits. The security said that you couldnt take individual pics with the band members. But Gene took the time for everybody who wanted a personal pic with him. Tommy was very nice and asked me a couple of times if he had to sign certain items that he hadnt played on. Paul was the first to leave (I'm gone PEOPLE !) And Gene was the last to leave.
sugardaddy
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by sugardaddy »

Eric Carr...super cool
Eric Singer....super cool

Bruce...cool

Paul...fine
Gene...fine
Tommy...fine

Peter...he just wanted to get to his bus

Never met
Ace
Vinnie
Mark
Ludwig Paiste 77
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Ludwig Paiste 77 »

I met Paul , Gene, Bruce and Eric S at the KISS konfidential screening , meet and greet in 1993 at the Avalon ballroom in Boston MA ,I was able to get each members autograph twice, (I just went back in line) fun times. If you bought KISS ALIVE lll, for a penny more you were given a sticker pass to the meet and greet.

In 2012 I met Peter Criss at a Shock Rock event in Worcester MA I didn't know the prices of autographs or the pic you can get when you meet with him before I went. I brought along with me his 78 solo album and Out of Control album,
I only paid in advance for one album to be signed, however he signed both , we were talking he liked that we both were wearing the same pants and sneakers. I had my Vintage Levi vest on that has the Love Gun back patch and ton of assorted vintage patches and buttons, I was wearing a Peter 78 album cover t-shirt, when Gigi heard I didn't have a phone that took pictures she insisted I still I get a photo with Peter, right away someone standing in line gave his phone to Gigi and she .took the picture, that person took my info down and sent the pic to my bands website, I was and still very grateful that a fellow KISS Army member was quick to do that for me and for Gigi and Peter to bend the rules for me. That is one of my most cherished memories as a fan and a great day in my life.
rscott71

Post by rscott71 »

Peter was my most favorite to meet. what a great experience
Vinny in Atlanta was a great experience also no matter what has happened since.
Ace was not really friendly but he did make sure i got a picture with him even when the guy couldn't run my friends phone
Eric S was very friendly and stopped for a second even though he was in a hurry
Paul and Gene both just said hi while passing by
Tommy was very cool and enjoyed visiting about the Kisstory book
Bruce couldn't have been friendlier or nicer
Last edited by rscott71 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legsofsteel
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Legsofsteel »

I went to a signing event in Vancouver in 2013. So I met all four current members briefly.

I told Eric I like the first Badlands album, which he was really impressed and excited about. So much so he told me to repeat it to Gene. So I did, but he didn't understand what I was saying due to my British accent I guess. So I had to repeat, and then he understood and he asked if I was crazy! I think I replied saying yeah.
AxlisKing
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AxlisKing »

Met Gene and Paul after a radio show appearance in Chicago in '97. Paul was a complete douche and Gene was very nice.
ludzil

Post by ludzil »

Gene Simmons - Respectful, talkative, friendly and courteous
Paul Stanley - hmm. Sometimes cool, sometimes distant
Tommy Thayer - Always friendly
Eric Singer - Super Cool. Great guy
Mark St. John - Nice but quiet
Bruce Kulick - Always Friendly, accommodating
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

Ace-- always cool but sometimes disinterested
Gene- always nice but talks down to you, as if he's wayyy smarter than you
Paul-- very cool but at times seems to have other things on his mind. Talks to you but kind of looking past you
Peter-- met him in the early 90's and he had that don't bother me attitude. Meeting him now in the last 10 years and he is so humble and wants to talk with you and generally sincere
Bruce- extremely pleasant and nice. Goes out of his way to please you
Vinnie- always cool and nice, does seem a bit flaky at times
Mark St. John-- only met him once, but was cool
Eric Singer- always been cool, but sometimes had that sarcastic attitude
Tommy-- nice guy, no problem with him
Eric Carr-- Super nice and friendly. Another guy who went out of his way to please you
ViniPonciasTapeOp
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ViniPonciasTapeOp »

First time I met Paul, we had a nice conversation about some pictures I had questions about. He seemed happy to talk about the old days. A year later he was sitting at a table, having coffee. I did not bother him. Later when he was just sitting there waiting for something, I approached his table, from far away, raised my eyebrows and showed him the solo album I had with me. His hand gesture meant, no - do not get closer. It felt bad, as I felt I had taken quite a respectful approach.
StrangestWay
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by StrangestWay »

Gene: met twice, once in a telephone interview situation. Both times he was friendly, engaging, and even interested in what I had to say.
Paul: met once. Was cool but distant.
Eric Singer: ditto
Bruce: Met twice. Super super cool both times.

Have never met any of the other guys.
KISSRevenge244
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by KISSRevenge244 »

StrangestWay wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:18 pm Gene: met twice, once in a telephone interview situation. Both times he was friendly, engaging, and even interested in what I had to say.

Your description of meeting Paul perfectly matches both times I met him out in the wild here in LA. I work with an A-list celebrity so I very much know how these people feel being approached in public, so I kept it super brief with Paul, which I'm sure he appreciated.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

Legsofsteel wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:04 am I went to a signing event in Vancouver in 2013. So I met all four current members briefly.

I told Eric I like the first Badlands album, which he was really impressed and excited about. So much so he told me to repeat it to Gene. So I did, but he didn't understand what I was saying due to my British accent I guess. So I had to repeat, and then he understood and he asked if I was crazy! I think I replied saying yeah.
Not KISS related, but I have a similar sort of story. A few years back Alex Kane was roadie-ing for Enuff Z'Nuff on a European tour. The band were all hanging out in the bar after the Edinburgh show and I approached Alex and told him that after Eddie Van Halen and Ace Frehley, he's my favourite guitar player. He immediately marched me over to Chip from Enuff Z'Nuff and made me repeat it for him. Chip was so unbelievably cool; he and Alex are honestly among the most down to earth and genuinely nice people I've ever met.
Sssnakester

Post by Sssnakester »

sneed78 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:36 am Gene, Bruce, Singer, Vinnie and Tommy were all super cool.

Never met Carr. 😑
Carr was the only one I HAVE met lol
Greasepaint74
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Greasepaint74 »

Have met the original & current line up, most several times. My interactions were all very positive. Met both Paul & Gene for the first time @ the Kiss Coffeehouse…man, still miss that place 🔥 ☕️ 🔥
ALLISTER
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by ALLISTER »

Gene: First met him in 1989. Living in L.A. I've met him so many times & he is usually pleasant. There have been times were he has declined autographs & photos, but never rude. He has used some lame excuses like "they told me I can't sign any autographs today" and there was NO one with him or "let's not & say that we did" ?!?!

Paul: First met him in 1989. He has been pleasant as well. A few times he has completely ignored people including me. At a Rock & Brews grand opening (which fans paid to attend) he sat at a table and played with his phone the whole time. Gene got up & mingle and signed stuff. Paul didn't even acknowledge the fans. They did do pro pics with the fans that day & he was cool during that time period. It was me & two other people behind The Whisky one night & he wouldn't sign or take a pic with me. He said I'm waiting for my car. Car got there & he got in a sped off. That also happened after the Monster book press conference at The Viper room in the middle of the day. But that was only a few times. He has been super cool the other times.

Ace: First met him in 1995/1996. He was looking at a pile of junk at the Rose Bowl Flea Market. I had him autograph a dollar bill. I told him "I know it's not a very good pic of you, but will you sign it?" he chuckled. I then asked if the reunion was happening & he said "I can't talk about it". He has always been pleasant at his book signings and has taken pics.

Peter: Met him only once a few years ago at a KISS Convention in L.A. He was super cool. I was nervous because I've always heard bad things.

Eric Carr: Met him in 1989 at Knott's Berry Farm. He was with Carrie Stevens. SUPER COOL guy. I was actually wearing a KISS shirt that day & he signed it for me & took pics with me. He then handed me his disposable camera & had me take pics of them & the parachute ride. We talked about the shirt I was wearing and some other KISS stuff. It was probably my greatest KISS fan memory.

Bruce: He is always cool & thankful. I've met him so many times around L.A. including CityWalk, Dodger games etc...

Eric Singer: Met MANY times. Always cool. Whenever I ask him KISS stuff he always responds with "Ask Gene" LOL

Tommy: ALWAYS cool & down to earth. Takes pics & signs every time.

Mark: Talked to him on the phone about getting guitar lessons back in 1987/88? I recorded the call & I still have it.

Vinnie: Never met
BeholderFan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BeholderFan »

I have never met Vinnie or Carr.

As for the rest, from the Best to the worst:

Ace: totally awesome. Really cool. I have met him many times. Great person.

Bruce: Total sweetheart. I have met him plenty of times. He is always great with fans. He has always been nice to me.

Tommy Thayer: the man is a sweetheart and very polite. He does come across as business-like in his demeanor, sometimes, but in general, he is really kind to fans.

Eric Singer: At first, he was a little sarcastic when I first met him, but after that, he was very cool. Love him.

Gene Simmons: He is pretty cool. He is business-like, but I found him to be pretty nice. My conversations with him were just short.

Paul Stanley: I would say polite, but very cold and distant. Definitely all business.

Mark St. John: was just out of it.
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

I've been fortunate enough to meet Eric Carr and Bruce Kulick after a show on the Hot In The Shade tour. Met Bruce 3 more times at the Detroit KISS Expos. Got to meet Eric Singer and Mark St John at the Detroit KISS Expos. All were really cool and down to earth.

I've also been lucky to meet the guys from Fear Factory, Dave Ellefson of Megadeth and Bonz of Stuck Mojo. All were friendly and took time to chat with me for a little bit. I went to a Death (pioneering Death Metal band) concert in Detroit with some friends on the Sound of Preservence tour. Got to meet Chuck Schuldiner, he was out talking to fans prior to his band hitting the stage. He was really nice.
MrMisery
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by MrMisery »

Met Peter at a convention in 94. He didnt even look at me or most fans during the signing. Seem very unintersted in being there.

Met Ace the year after. Drunk as a skunk. Turns out the promoters oftered him alcohol. Idiots!

Met Vinnie in 1996, he was nice enough, but ruined my single of Lick It Up (first single I got) by signing all over it. Thanks!
(also heard he got worse and worse during the convention tour and left in the middle of it)

Met Eric Singer a few times, first time was when he just left the band and wasnt too happy during the Q&A, I remember one guy asking him "Why did you cut your hair" and he replied - "I got tired of it - why havent you cut yours" I thought that was f**king funny. He was cool to the fans though, signed a bunch of autographs and took pics. Most other times he was cool. But I get the feeling he isnt all that into meeting the fans sometimes.

Met Bruce 3 times. He was always nice and friendly. The second time he actually recognized me. The first time was at a KISS convention and the second time was at a show with Union and it was just 5-6 months apart and I´m sure that the fact that I had long black hair, eyeliner and a black leathercoat while most other fans had blond hair and denimclothes and KISS t-shirts made me stand out a bit in the crowd

Met the current lineup 2 times. First time (and met is stretching the word a bit) was at the hotel after a show. Me and a friend just passed by and noticed a few fans just standing around so we figured the band was goin to be there and sure enough. Gene and Eric arrived first, Gene said Hello everybody and just went inside, Eric signed a few things for some fans and left. Next was Paul and Tommy, Paul had his phone to his ear and just went for the door but Tommy actually stayed around, signed stuff and seemed pretty friendly.

Second time was the meet and greet. It was fine. Gene was the best, stayed the longest, took pictures and seemed into it. Paul was the first to leave but also made sure everyone got what they paid for. I know because I sort of forgot to hand him one of the things to get signed and one of the roaides took it and got it signed for me. Tommy and Eric was nice.

On the same tour I briefly saw Paul and Gene (not at the same time) outside a hotel, Paul didnt even stop (I was the only fan there and didnt try to get anything signed) but Gene gave me a fistbump. He had Nick with him so I didnt wanna bother him.
Vinniefan123
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Vinniefan123 »

I appreciate the replies, but to say you met someone and they were “ cool” doesn’t really tell us any details
razor
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by razor »

gene funny
bruce and eric singer brilliant (ask anything they were great)
paul up himself unless you were a female (he didn't want to know you if you were a male)
StrangestWay
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by StrangestWay »

KISSRevenge244 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm
StrangestWay wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:18 pm Gene: met twice, once in a telephone interview situation. Both times he was friendly, engaging, and even interested in what I had to say.

Your description of meeting Paul perfectly matches both times I met him out in the wild here in LA. I work with an A-list celebrity so I very much know how these people feel being approached in public, so I kept it super brief with Paul, which I'm sure he appreciated.
Absolutely. You have to respect the fact that this happens to them constantly, and has for decades. I would hate that, and would definitely not be able to be "nice" to everyone if I was in that position. People tend to forget what their perspective might be.
StrangestWay
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by StrangestWay »

Vinniefan123 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:55 pm I appreciate the replies, but to say you met someone and they were “ cool” doesn’t really tell us any details
I would replace "cool" with "polite" then.

I can't go into much more detail right now though. I have to go bitch about the new Destroyer box set price.
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

Sssnakester wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:34 pm
sneed78 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:36 am Gene, Bruce, Singer, Vinnie and Tommy were all super cool.

Never met Carr. 😑
Carr was the only one I HAVE met lol
Lucky 🦊
Jemgirl
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Jemgirl »

ALLISTER wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:01 pm Gene: First met him in 1989. Living in L.A. I've met him so many times & he is usually pleasant. There have been times were he has declined autographs & photos, but never rude. He has used some lame excuses like "they told me I can't sign any autographs today" and there was NO one with him or "let's not & say that we did" ?!?!

Paul: First met him in 1989. He has been pleasant as well. A few times he has completely ignored people including me. At a Rock & Brews grand opening (which fans paid to attend) he sat at a table and played with his phone the whole time. Gene got up & mingle and signed stuff. Paul didn't even acknowledge the fans. They did do pro pics with the fans that day & he was cool during that time period. It was me & two other people behind The Whisky one night & he wouldn't sign or take a pic with me. He said I'm waiting for my car. Car got there & he got in a sped off. That also happened after the Monster book press conference at The Viper room in the middle of the day. But that was only a few times. He has been super cool the other times.

Ace: First met him in 1995/1996. He was looking at a pile of junk at the Rose Bowl Flea Market. I had him autograph a dollar bill. I told him "I know it's not a very good pic of you, but will you sign it?" he chuckled. I then asked if the reunion was happening & he said "I can't talk about it". He has always been pleasant at his book signings and has taken pics.

Peter: Met him only once a few years ago at a KISS Convention in L.A. He was super cool. I was nervous because I've always heard bad things.

Eric Carr: Met him in 1989 at Knott's Berry Farm. He was with Carrie Stevens. SUPER COOL guy. I was actually wearing a KISS shirt that day & he signed it for me & took pics with me. He then handed me his disposable camera & had me take pics of them & the parachute ride. We talked about the shirt I was wearing and some other KISS stuff. It was probably my greatest KISS fan memory.

Bruce: He is always cool & thankful. I've met him so many times around L.A. including CityWalk, Dodger games etc...

Eric Singer: Met MANY times. Always cool. Whenever I ask him KISS stuff he always responds with "Ask Gene" LOL

Tommy: ALWAYS cool & down to earth. Takes pics & signs every time.

Mark: Talked to him on the phone about getting guitar lessons back in 1987/88? I recorded the call & I still have it.

Vinnie: Never met
That’s great you got meet Eric while he was with Carrie, I heard Eric loved amusement parks and he use to go to a lot of them, also Bruce sounds like a great guy and seems down to Earth.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

I keep hearing stories about how bad Peter was in the early 90's. I think that must have been a bad stretch in life for him,because that comes up often if you notice.

Now,he seems changed for the better,and that's great to hear.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

Bruce was nice but quiet when I met him. Eric S was cool but didn't have a lot of time to chat.
CHRIS ARMY

Post by CHRIS ARMY »

Ludwig Paiste 77 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:28 am I met Paul , Gene, Bruce and Eric S at the KISS konfidential screening , meet and greet in 1993 at the Avalon ballroom in Boston MA ,I was able to get each members autograph twice, (I just went back in line) fun times. If you bought KISS ALIVE lll, for a penny more you were given a sticker pass to the meet and greet.

Man, how crazy! I was there also in Boston. I got to go to a press conference earlier the same day. Then, I was at the Konfidential screening too. Tons of people there. I was actually gonna just hang out and watch. But, decided to get in the long line and got an Alive III album flat signed.

Funny story. I was in my hometown of Memphis a few days before. I met and was walking down the street with Steven Tyler. Looking for something to say, I mentioned that I was going to Boston for the first time. Seeing as they're from Boston, I figured he'd be interested. He said, " What's going on there?" I told him that I was going to a KISS meet N greet. He said, "Oh yeah? Tell those guys I said hi." So, when I was in front of Paul, I told him, "Hey man, I was talking to Steven Tyler the other day in Memphis. He told me to tell you hi." He just looked at me kinda confused and said something like, "oh cool." I thought it was funny to relay messages between rock stars.
Last edited by CHRIS ARMY on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHRIS ARMY

Post by CHRIS ARMY »

LoveGun77 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:28 am I keep hearing stories about how bad Peter was in the early 90's. I think that must have been a bad stretch in life for him,because that comes up often if you notice.

I don't think he changed for the better. The dude seems super hot and cold depending on the day and if he's getting paid. I had the bad experience in '95. Broke my heart because he was always my favorite as a kid.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

Peter Criss turned out to be the most friendly and approachable member from the originals for me.

Bruce Kulick would be second, met him a couple of times over the years, and was also friendly etc.

I have never met Paul and Gene one on one, got their autographs on my comic at the 1995 Sydney KISS Konvention.

Ace Frehley who I have met back in 2010, was not overly friendly, careless towards signing my comic, when he pushed it across the table in agressive manner after signing it, which separated the cover from the rest of the comic. When I said be careful, he apologised.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

steveh67 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:31 am Peter Criss turned out to be the most friendly and approachable member from the originals for me.

Bruce Kulick would be second, met him a couple of times over the years, and was also friendly etc.

I have never met Paul and Gene one on one, got their autographs on my comic at the 1995 Sydney KISS Konvention.

Ace Frehley who I have met back in 2010, was not overly friendly, careless towards signing my comic, when he pushed it across the table in agressive manner after signing it, which separated the cover from the rest of the comic. When I said be careful, he apologised.
Did you tell Peter how much you disliked his drumming? LOL!
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

CHRIS ARMY wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:29 am
LoveGun77 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:28 am I keep hearing stories about how bad Peter was in the early 90's. I think that must have been a bad stretch in life for him,because that comes up often if you notice.

I don't think he changed for the better. The dude seems super hot and cold depending on the day and if he's getting paid. I had the bad experience in '95. Broke my heart because he was always my favorite as a kid.
But if you notice now,it's mostly positive. Almost always. Back then,just the opposite.

I was at a Kiss convention in 93 and he was there. Everyone was saying he was being an asshole,so I passed on meeting him.
Ludwig Paiste 77
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Ludwig Paiste 77 »

CHRIS ARMY wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:27 am
Ludwig Paiste 77 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:28 am I met Paul , Gene, Bruce and Eric S at the KISS konfidential screening , meet and greet in 1993 at the Avalon ballroom in Boston MA ,I was able to get each members autograph twice, (I just went back in line) fun times. If you bought KISS ALIVE lll, for a penny more you were given a sticker pass to the meet and greet.

Man, how crazy! I was there also in Boston. I got to go to a press conference earlier the same day. Then, I was at the Konfidential screening too. Tons of people there. I was actually gonna just hang out and watch. But, decided to get in the long line and got an Alive III album flat signed.

Funny story. I was in my hometown of Memphis a few days before. I met and was walking down the street with Steven Tyler. Looking for something to say, I mentioned that I was going to Boston for the first time. Seeing as they're from Boston, I figured he'd be interested. He said, " What's going on there?" I told him that I was going to a KISS meet N greet. He said, "Oh yeah? Tell those guys I said hi." So, when I was in front of Paul, I told him, "Hey man, I was talking to Steven Tyler the other day in Memphis. He told me to tell you hi." He just looked at me kinda confused and said something like, "oh cool." I thought it was funny to relay messages between rock stars.
Wow! That's a cool and funny story, I wish I knew about the press conference I was standing in front the Avalon doors starting around 8am that morning I was one of the first in that long line that's why I was able to jump back in line again, I cut a ton of people, sorry hey I was 16 at the time! A fun day.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

southernkiss wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:14 am
steveh67 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:31 am Peter Criss turned out to be the most friendly and approachable member from the originals for me.

Did you tell Peter how much you disliked his drumming? LOL!
Que?
Vinniefan123
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Vinniefan123 »

StrangestWay wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:44 pm
Vinniefan123 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:55 pm I appreciate the replies, but to say you met someone and they were “ cool” doesn’t really tell us any details
I would replace "cool" with "polite" then.

I can't go into much more detail right now though. I have to go bitch about the new Destroyer box set price.
Thank you. I wasn’t talking specifically about your post
CHRIS ARMY

Post by CHRIS ARMY »

In 2012 I met Peter Criss at a Shock Rock event in Worcester MA I didn't know the prices of autographs or the pic you can get when you meet with him before I went. I brought along with me his 78 solo album and Out of Control album,
I only paid in advance for one album to be signed, however he signed both , we were talking he liked that we both were wearing the same pants and sneakers. I had my Vintage Levi vest on that has the Love Gun back patch and ton of assorted vintage patches and buttons, I was wearing a Peter 78 album cover t-shirt, when Gigi heard I didn't have a phone that took pictures she insisted I still I get a photo with Peter, right away someone standing in line gave his phone to Gigi and she .took the picture, that person took my info down and sent the pic to my bands website, I was and still very grateful that a fellow KISS Army member was quick to do that for me and for Gigi and Peter to bend the rules for me. That is one of my most cherished memories as a fan and a great day in my life.
**Reposted from earlier. I screwed up on how it posted.**

curryleaf
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by curryleaf »

bassmansteiny wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:09 pm Got to meet Chuck Schuldiner, he was out talking to fans prior to his band hitting the stage. He was really nice.
That's very cool indeed.
Julien
EXP20240130

Post by Julien »

Best: Peter (2003). World Domination tour, the M&G pre-show thing was all shiny and new. "Fans" crowded Gene and Paul with their wheel-barrows of junk for signing. Peter was off to one side, simply observing, so I approached. Greeted him, thanked him for the music and then we chatted. Faith and truth came up, he laughed and snorted, throwing his head to the "two," noting "and of course then there's those two's version of the truth." He was gracious and humble, looked you in the eye when talking and was simply telling you his point of view, not selling anything. He was the same incredibly cool cat, genuine every other time I met him since. Never treating me with disrespect, never treating me like an assembly line item.

No reason to comment on the "worst" after smiling when remembering the above.
Tail of a hurricane

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Bruce - met him 5 times. The first time he was a bit "off", but the rest have been great.

Eric S - very cool and talkative

Doc McGee - cool guy. Met him in foyer at twin towns

Jon Regan/Tod Howarth - Hung out with them watching Sisters doll on the Four by Fate/Bruce oz tour.
peopleselbow
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by peopleselbow »

Gene - 3 times. The best. Talkative and friendly.

Bruce- Very nice.

Eric -Extremely cool. Loves to talk sports.

Paul- Twice. Nice but distant.

Tommy - must have caught him on a bad day. Not that friendly.

Ace- A dick and aloof.

Vinnie - strange to say the least.

Never met Peter.
Last edited by peopleselbow on Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Bee
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Super Bee »

Tommy- I have met him several times, always just the nicest guy.

Bruce- I have met Bruce roughly a dozen times, always just a nice guy. On a side note, Bruces wife who assist him at expos is just a great lady. She will have Bruce sign anything you want which is great.

Eric Singer- The guy loves to chat if he has time. Always very friendly.

Vinnie- Met him once a couple years ago. Was very surprised how talkative and nice he was.

Gene- Always been very nice, never an issue.

Paul- Meh, a little stand offish.

Ace- I have met Ace several times, one time I actually got to sit with him on his tour bus for 20 minutes and he was very cool. Every other time he never said a word. Just sign and go.

Never met Peter. Was going to this summer in Indy but he cancelled.
KlassicKISS54
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KlassicKISS54 »

I first met Eric Carr after the Animalize concert in Louisville. Ironically that happen only because we were in my car leaving the parking garage and this girl walks up and knocks on my window. She has KISS VIP badge on and says she is with Eric and needs to know where the Seelbach is at. So we drove her over there and we all went in. She left us at the lobby and told us to wait to see if she could get the band to come down. Talk about nerves. So we watched the elevator count up and count down. Each time the door opened, I think we were going to piss ourselves. Finally after watching a half dozen old geezers walk out (probably my age now), we began to think we got left behind. Then the doors opened and all we saw was this enormous mane of hair. It was Eric Carr. He saw us standing there and motioned us to come over to the bar. So we followed and sat there and talked to him for about 30 minutes. He could not have been a nicer person and signed our tour books.

Met Gene Simmons at a book store signing. He was the very anthesis of what we knew him to be. Very polite but almost shy. He signed our stuff and appeared engaged when we spoke.

Met Tommy Thayer years ago at the Indy Expo. Complete gentleman and classy guy. Seemed tired by the time we got to him, but didn't let that factor into our brief conversation and taking photos. He's very professional but amiable person as well. It was a pleasure meeting him.

Also met Bruce Kulick at the same Expo and he was equally as friendly and cordial. Bruce really feels like just a normal Joe. He appreciates everyone that approaches him and seems genuinely grateful to have this position in his life. He's very engaged with fans and I think it's sincere.

Met Paul Stanley who showed up at the same Expo as a surprise (to showcase his book). He was very polite but also felt very "on". I think its unrealistic to expect these people to be in the moment like we are as fans. But with him you definitely felt like he carried allot of preparedness to his presentation. He looked like he could be kind as a priest, but had eyes that said, " Don't even think I won't carve you up if you descend below the realm of total appreciation." He was eating up the attention and it showed. And no one wanted to be 'that guy' to ruin it for him. So I totally felt like he was a person who understands what he has and how to wield it if needed.

Met Ace at the Toy Tiger on his "Just for Fun" tour in the mid 90's. Meeting might be overstating it. More like a passing by moment. But he seemed very amiable and was in a party mood. But it was more an impromptu thing than something more measured like a meet & greet.

Have not met Peter, Vinne, Mark, or Eric Singer directly. Was hoping to meet Peter this fall at those conventions he was attending, but the COVID thing shut him down (understandably so).