What I like about Paul on “MTV Unplugged”….

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Tail of a hurricane
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

What I like about Paul on “MTV Unplugged”….

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Yes, I’m pretty wrapped up in this album of late, and the video. It’s a very special moment in Kisstory. Not just that Peter and Ace make a return, but also the chemistry Bruce and Eric had too acoustic wise with the band. They brought a new ‘guise on the songs and actually made some songs better than the originals. What intrigues me most about the album is Paul himself. Not only is his voice in great shape, but he shows no ego. In the encore, “2,000 man”, “Beth “, “Nothin to lose” and “R n R all nite” he gives all the other guys the main spotlight, and not himself. He gives Peter and Ace a shot. You often wonder through the years that while Paul and Gene may take pot shots at Ace and Peter, they also gave them plenty of chances too.
Just quietly, who had a little tear too when Ace and Peter first walked out?
Bruce
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: What I like about Paul on “MTV Unplugged”….

Post by Bruce »

To the point of Paul giving Ace & Pete their spotlight, that had to happen. They had to be flaunted and paraded to emotionally manipulate the fans hoping for a reunion. I do not say this to be mean or bitter because it was the end for Bruce, or anything. Just saying that Paul had no choice in being accomodating. The situation demanded it.
*Chameleon*
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by *Chameleon* »

He, as always, was saying and doing what was best for him and the band (brand) right then.

From all accounts I've read they were in sorry shape business wise but absolutely killing it musically, weird times, huh?

I'm not sure what the future would have held without the Reunion, perhaps State Fairs, Brews and BBQ fests and package oldies tours, who knows?
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Tail of a hurricane wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:53 pm Yes, I’m pretty wrapped up in this album of late, and the video. It’s a very special moment in Kisstory. Not just that Peter and Ace make a return, but also the chemistry Bruce and Eric had too acoustic wise with the band. They brought a new ‘guise on the songs and actually made some songs better than the originals. What intrigues me most about the album is Paul himself. Not only is his voice in great shape, but he shows no ego. In the encore, “2,000 man”, “Beth “, “Nothin to lose” and “R n R all nite” he gives all the other guys the main spotlight, and not himself. He gives Peter and Ace a shot. You often wonder through the years that while Paul and Gene may take pot shots at Ace and Peter, they also gave them plenty of chances too.
Just quietly, who had a little tear too when Ace and Peter first walked out?
This is a nice healthy take.
Ludwig Paiste 77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Ludwig Paiste 77 »

Bruce wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:06 pm To the point of Paul giving Ace & Pete their spotlight, that had to happen. They had to be flaunted and paraded to emotionally manipulate the fans hoping for a reunion. I do not say this to be mean or bitter because it was the end for Bruce, or anything. Just saying that Paul had no choice in being accomodating. The situation demanded it.
You're Absolutely Right about that!

I agree Paul was very solid that night and his vocals were in prime form, I did get a little teary when the 2 bad boys came out, however that quickly changed to now you bad boys gotta kick some Ass!
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Unplugged was one the definite highlights of my fandom. By HITS I was into thrash and death metal. I didn't like Revenge at all (including the "tough" image, which seemed like a very contrived move).

But by Unplugged, I was already feeling quite nostalgic and listening to pre-HITS Kiss a lot. It's hard to describe the exhilaration I felt when motherfuckin' COMIN' HOME - of all songs! - opened the set. Absolutely fantastic and both Paul and Gene sung like angels at that point.
Miss Kitty
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Miss Kitty »

I like this album too. I listen to it a lot.
J-Lefty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by J-Lefty »

Probably because there was a director who told Paul to "shut up and play"
lespaul

Post by lespaul »

gene therapist wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:53 am Unplugged was one the definite highlights of my fandom. By HITS I was into thrash and death metal. I didn't like Revenge at all (including the "tough" image, which seemed like a very contrived move).

But by Unplugged, I was already feeling quite nostalgic and listening to pre-HITS Kiss a lot. It's hard to describe the exhilaration I felt when motherfuckin' COMIN' HOME - of all songs! - opened the set. Absolutely fantastic and both Paul and Gene sung like angels at that point.
your story`s almost identical to mine :shock:
Kissologist

Post by Kissologist »

I think Gene was more honest and emotional about the whole thing
Stanley! You look so cute
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Stanley! You look so cute »

Paul was magnificent on Unplugged.
kissologistna
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kissologistna »

Everything about Unplugged was perfect...the staging, the set list, the performance. I loved the Revenge period but the band was at their nadir by this point. The excitement generated by this was incredible and it felt like KISS was back as a major player in a real sense (not the G&P grandiose hype). This was a great moment in KISSTORY!!
gabbagabba
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by gabbagabba »

Yep, that was a great night.
Paul was cool, great singing' and with one of his best wigs.