KISS "I" Unreleased 1981 Music Video

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re: KISS "I" Unreleased 1981 Music Video

Post by Tallbear13 »

Sign of the times with this video , they should have released it
gene therapist
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by gene therapist »

A weird editing choice at 1:38-1:41. It's not even remotely related to what they're actually playing.
Stanley! You look so cute
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Stanley! You look so cute »

I couldn't get to the end of that. The Elder, and everything around it, has aged like milk. Kiss were incredibly lucky to still have a band after this era coming straight from the godawful Unmasked.
alivecatman
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by alivecatman »

Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:04 am I couldn't get to the end of that. The Elder, and everything around it, has aged like milk. Kiss were incredibly lucky to still have a band after this era coming straight from the godawful Unmasked.
Correct!! The whole era has aged like Milk!!! I love that
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

steve wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:35 am
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:39 amThis isn't a holy grail.
The five year old to whom I've just reverted disagrees in the strongest possible terms. Life was so much more fun back then, and so were KISS.

*waits around for my family, my hair, my youth and my optimism to come back*
Don't get me wrong - I LOVE The Elder, but if I made a video that ended up like this - I would also say that NO ONE CAN EVER SEE THIS and shelve it forever.
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

caligari wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:37 pm
Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:13 pm Terrific, the first time that I have been able to see what others see in Eric Carr's drumming.
He is doing a hood job “drum/syncing”. 😜
And isn't "I" the song where Eric Carr didn't even play the drums on, because he couldn't get the feel?
RockRadio883
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by RockRadio883 »

“I” And On The 8th Day and to a slightly lesser extent Raise Your Glasses and It’s My Life….I’ll never understand how at least the first two songs didn’t become permanent setlist pieces and bigger hits. They are bona fide KISS anthems. I saw Gene do “I” solo and my wife wanted to know why everyone was going nuts lol. So then she got a short dissertation on 80s KISS on the way home.
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

This video was definitely a holy grail in KISS collecting. True by the definition. Has nothing to do with the contents within. Same with the "Thrills In The Night" concept video. That is a holy grail. If there is a video for that and it is horrible, that doesn't matter. It is still a holy grail in the collecting circuit.
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by jannep17 »

I love The Elder but the song I is an abomination if you hear it without the context of the whole album.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

Den Dennis wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:25 pm
Phyllis Simmons wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:29 pm Im a little confused; this is the same "I" video that alivecatman and a couple of others purchased a few years back, and initially watermarked a version to share? Did I miss an announcement? Its the same video version right???

Also did we establish that the band had a version of this "I" video all along, as I believed it appeared in the recent documentary?? :scratch:
Hence they never need to partake in the sale a few years back when the story was doing the rounds???
I suspect the Gooch licensed this for use in the doc, which if true is totally repugnant after selling the tape years ago for a nice price.
You now see this video, which is on the open market after he tried to get 5,000 dollars for it. Imagine if you were the one who bought this, thinking you had, have the only copy. Now it's out all over the place. Way to go. Also tells you all you need to know when Gooch was saying that Ace and Peter were offered an "insane" amount of money that they turned down for the recent documentary.
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

Coventry1973 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:53 pm
Phyllis Simmons wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:29 pm Im a little confused; this is the same "I" video that alivecatman and a couple of others purchased a few years back, and initially watermarked a version to share? Did I miss an announcement? Its the same video version right???

Also did we establish that the band had a version of this "I" video all along, as I believed it appeared in the recent documentary?? :scratch:
Hence they never need to partake in the sale a few years back when the story was doing the rounds???
I suspect the Gooch licensed this for use in the doc, which if true is totally repugnant after selling the tape years ago for a nice price.
You now see this video, which is on the open market after he tried to get 5,000 dollars for it. Imagine if you were the one who bought this, thinking you had, have the only copy. Now it's out all over the place. Way to go. Also tells you all you need to know when Gooch was saying that Ace and Peter were offered an "insane" amount of money that they turned down for the recent documentary.
Gurt also lied about having the only copy. Many lies and deception lead me to release this. I do not regret spending the money to buy it because I have enjoyed it since then.
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

We don’t know for sure that Gooch did this.. do we? At documentary release time a few months back, there were definitely some suggestions that the band must have had a copy of the ‘I” video in their vaults all along? Anyone know for sure, what happened here?

I guess that is the problem when buying “old tapes”, video, audio, etc. What are you actually buying. A piece of old plastic from 1985, and not really the contents within (obviously), or any particular assurance that it is unique.

Gene sold demo tapes at the Butterfields Auctions I think? I mean what were you buying there? 1000 bucks for an old tape? an old piece of plastic?

Or when Poodle was selling off Ace’s old artefacts, including cassette tapes, old 4 track demos etc. $1000 for a couple of old Maxell C90 cassette tapes?

Or Vinnie selling off some old demo tapes. $100,000 for a TDK C90 4 track cassette copy? :wink:

Its a risky endeavour this for buyers.. what are you actually buying?!

EDIT, I just saw alivecatmans post above...... interesting......
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

alivecatman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:30 pm

Gurt also lied about having the only copy. Many lies and deception lead me to release this. I do not regret spending the money to buy it because I have enjoyed it since then.
I think whoever originally bought it would be within their rights to get their money back if Gooch knowingly deceived them into believing it was the only copy.

I really like your attitude to collecting - it's about the enjoyment of it rather than the monetary value. Thanks for sharing this video, it's very generous of you and has made a lot of KISS fans happy, myself included.
ManOf1000Faces
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ManOf1000Faces »

I like this one better

sabresaxon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sabresaxon »

Ironically the ‘I’ experience would now cost you $10K.
Kisstanbul
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kisstanbul »

Thanks for this, love the video!!
A great find.
peterparker78
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by peterparker78 »

peterparker78 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:25 pm Think Ace & Gene look ok, the other 2 not so good. Said before when the video (with watermarks, ect) first emerged that I had seen it before somewhere, still an interesting view of an interesting time period....
Should quantify, I'm referring to the unreleased 'I' video, not the appearence on 'Solid Gold'. Dunno where I saw the video exactly, but I have good memory for images and had defo seen it before it was revealed recently....
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

It’s a pretty good song and all…But this makes me want to cry. My fire breathing, killer solo making, kick as singing, band since 1974 ….had turned into THIS? 🤦🏼‍♂️
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

At least they’re not wearing superhero outfits.

I honestly don’t see what the big deal is.

The video is fine.

Least Gene isn’t crying.
Potato Salad
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Potato Salad »

alivecatman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:19 am
Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:04 am I couldn't get to the end of that. The Elder, and everything around it, has aged like milk. Kiss were incredibly lucky to still have a band after this era coming straight from the godawful Unmasked.
Correct!! The whole era has aged like Milk!!! I love that
It has aged like milk and curdled into a fine cheese.
Tail of a hurricane

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

I love the background in the stage set. If there was a tour for the album, I can imagine that as the back drop. Very "Destroyer" like design.
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

After listening to people bitch that this was Friday's or San Remo Fest, I made this

Julien
EXP20240130

Post by Julien »

alivecatman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:40 pm After listening to people bitch that this was Friday's or San Remo Fest, I made this
I'd let them starve to death in ignorace.
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

Julien wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:49 pm
alivecatman wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:40 pm After listening to people bitch that this was Friday's or San Remo Fest, I made this
I'd let them starve to death in ignorace.
My OCD will not allow that
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

The problem is that you listened to them.
Phyllis Simmons

It happens unfortunately Den, as Im sure you and your boys know. I remember there was a shifty guy trying to sell alternate unreleased video versions of "Warriors of Genghis Khan" a while back. Hopefully he has been stopped now, but the damage was done.. :x
Starchild74
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Starchild74 »

The Nov 21, 1981 issue of Billboard has a good interview with Ezrin about the album.

I still can't believe they planned to make a sequel to the album. And if a film ever got made, there would be a soundtrack to it so 3 albums

Hey must have been on cocaine when he said this
But the formula is no longer true it's tried and it's trying but it's just not working anymore. If we had made another typical kiss album with a typical kiss cover it wouldn't even have sustained a slumping level and interest would have really finished their whole career off.

Also, Kiss supposedly shot 2 videos with Bill Gowers directing. I for "I" and the other " A World Without Heroes:
Julien
EXP20240130

Post by Julien »

Starchild74 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:49 pm Also, Kiss supposedly shot 2 videos with Bill Gowers directing. I for "I" and the other " A World Without Heroes:
Supposedly? They did. They filmed "I" and "A World Without Heroes."

Tim interviewed both for NovElder in 2012...

https://www.kissconcerthistory.com/inte ... gowers.php

https://www.kissconcerthistory.com/inte ... attery.php
LoveGuns

Post by LoveGuns »

I like the video. Not only it represents the times, but the backdrop reminds me of Superman's fortress of solitude. Thanks Andrew!!!
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:35 pm

It happens unfortunately Den, as Im sure you and your boys know. I remember there was a shifty guy trying to sell alternate unreleased video versions of "Warriors of Genghis Khan" a while back. Hopefully he has been stopped now, but the damage was done.. :x
Here’s what I think happened…

Gurt purchased a copy and lied about it being the only copy in existence. He probably tried to sell it back to the band, but the band always had a copy. Of course Gurt was never honest about that.
Gurt made a big stink about buring the video which causer us collectors to purchase the tape from him, all the while he had been selling copies to other fans.
Now since the A&E doc more people have been talking about it and people have been trying to sell it again, so to stop the nonsense I released it.
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

I wish someone finds the unreleased Thrills in the night video (or the uncut material of that) and unreleased playback stuff from the European COTN promo tour '82.
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

Starchild74 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:49 pm The Nov 21, 1981 issue of Billboard has a good interview with Ezrin about the album.

I still can't believe they planned to make a sequel to the album. And if a film ever got made, there would be a soundtrack to it so 3 albums

Hey must have been on cocaine when he said this
But the formula is no longer true it's tried and it's trying but it's just not working anymore. If we had made another typical kiss album with a typical kiss cover it wouldn't even have sustained a slumping level and interest would have really finished their whole career off.

Also, Kiss supposedly shot 2 videos with Bill Gowers directing. I for "I" and the other " A World Without Heroes:
World Without Heroes video has been around forever.
Diss

Post by Diss »

I think this video is pretty interesting actually. It's cool that they have a diverse crowd for one thing. You never saw that in hard rock videos back then. And let's be honest ... is it really worse than THIS, which came out around the same time? I say nay.

Reign1701
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Reign1701 »

This the saddest piece of shit that they have ever produced. They didn't have a clue. Just awful!!
Phyllis Simmons

alivecatman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:00 am

Gurt purchased a copy and lied about it being the only copy in existence. He probably tried to sell it back to the band, but the band always had a copy. Of course Gurt was never honest about that.
Gurt made a big stink about buring the video which causer us collectors to purchase the tape from him, all the while he had been selling copies to other fans.
Now since the A&E doc more people have been talking about it and people have been trying to sell it again, so to stop the nonsense I released it.
That’s not great if that’s how it went down. Not great at all..
I kinda remember then, and that shit dragged on for a while. I remember there was strong speculation that the band must have had a copy in their vaults. It seemed the type of thing that Gene would get his people to jump on if they really didn’t have it - especially when the video cassette was days away from going on the fire. Hard to know - but some sort real dodgy-ness clearly went down then..

But I second what BC Witch said above that your approach to collecting and sharing and releasing your own video productions, etc to fellow fans is very commendable.. Not many do it that way…
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:41 am
alivecatman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:00 am

That’s not great if that’s how it went down. Not great at all..
I kinda remember then, and that shit dragged on for a while. I remember there was strong speculation that the band must have had a copy in their vaults. It seemed the type of thing that Gene would get his people to jump on if they really didn’t have it - especially when the video cassette was days away from going on the fire. Hard to know - but some sort real dodgy-ness clearly went down then..

But I second what BC Witch said above that your approach to collecting and sharing and releasing your own video productions, etc to fellow fans is very commendable.. Not many do it that way…
Also - it was my suggestion to release the heavily watermarked version back in 2018 to stop people from selling it. It worked, for awhile.
Julien
EXP20240130

Post by Julien »

The prospect that the band had a copy was irrelevant to my decision to purchase the video. It simply served the purpose to promote the Odyssey book and once used was sold on.
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

Whose copy this one was originally? Perhaps one of the band members? Ace?
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

I think the band and Polygram were done DONE with The Elder by the time this thing was finished BUT the thing is, MTV was soooooooo desperate for videos to rotate, it would HAVE been played. Interesting stuff.
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:38 am Whose copy this one was originally? Perhaps one of the band members? Ace?
I believe Gurt’s copy came from an employee of Aucoin.
stutterer

Post by stutterer »

Diss wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:12 am And let's be honest ... is it really worse than THIS, which came out around the same time? I say nay.

This is one of my favourite music videos. It's damn funny, while the song rocks.