Favourite 80s KISS album

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Favourite 80s KISS album

Unmasked
22%
The Elder
6%
Creatures Of The Night
36%
Lick It Up
16%
Animalize
3%
Asylum
10%
Crazy Nights
3%
Smashes,Thrashes And Hits
0%
Hot In The Shade
4%

Total votes: 211

DaveinSpain
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Re: Favourite 80s KISS album

Post by DaveinSpain »

Wow looking at this list the 80's were a strange decade for Kiss. Unmasked feels like a continuation of Dynasty & disco Kiss. The Elder is it's own random thing. Creatures feels like the return of Kiss, but I'm just not a real fan of it at all. Then off comes the makeup & I lump LIU, Animalize & Asylum together as the weird horrible 80's fashion & hair metal and ridiculous costumes. Crazy Nights is like that terrible album you try to forget exist. I don't count Smashers as it's really just 2 songs and finally HITS is like a regular rock album for the time & they started dressing somewhat normal. The 80's were just weird. Anyway I'm divided with my choice. I like more songs on Unmasked then any of the others, but the few songs I like on Asylum I really like alot and way more then the Unmasked ones. I like the Elder alot but just because it's different and I feel like it's not Kiss. The rest of the albums I don't like at all. Maybe a couple songs on HITS. I guess Asylum it is.
Legsofsteel
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Legsofsteel »

ypke wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:13 am
Legsofsteel wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:59 am
Mr Slow wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:29 am I can’t help but think if we had a LICK IT UP vs UNMASKED poll on this forum, LIU would win. UNMASKED seems be more of a polarising album that many fans dislike. It feels like LIU gets more love here. 🤷‍♂️
For an 80s album, Unmasked is very unique. The closest sounding one is Dynasty, which is obviously from 79 so not included in this poll.

I also think if it was Lick it up vs. Unmasked, Lick it up would get more votes, because a lot of people who votes for Creatures would vote for Lick it up. Stylistically, Creatures and Lick it Up are fairly similar.

I also mentioned it earlier in this thread, but Animalize doesn't get many votes, because people who really like that sound/era normally vote for Creatures/Lick it Up. So Animalize ends up receiving less votes than HITS! And HITS is the weakest KISS album imo, but because it stands out more than other albums for it's unique sound, it gets more votes.
Maybe people just like the album better...
Unmasked vs. Lick it Up? Yeah, maybe. I mean I would vote Unmasked as the better album out of the two. Both are great. Just giving a potential reason why Unmasked against Lick it Up is winning in this poll when there are multiple choices. Especially as Lick it Up is very well liked.
Mr Slow
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Mr Slow »

Legsofsteel wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:03 pm
Mr Slow wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:29 am I can’t help but think if we had a LICK IT UP vs UNMASKED poll on this forum, LIU would win. UNMASKED seems be more of a polarising album that many fans dislike. It feels like LIU gets more love here. 🤷‍♂️
For an 80s album, Unmasked is very unique. The closest sounding one is Dynasty, which is obviously from 79 so not included in this poll.

I also think if it was Lick it up vs. Unmasked, Lick it up would get more votes, because a lot of people who votes for Creatures would vote for Lick it up. Stylistically, Creatures and Lick it Up are fairly similar.

I also mentioned it earlier in this thread, but Animalize doesn't get many votes, because people who really like that sound/era normally vote for Creatures/Lick it Up. So Animalize ends up receiving less votes than HITS! And HITS is the weakest KISS album imo, but because it stands out more than other albums for it's unique sound, it gets more votes.
Unmasked vs. Lick it Up? Yeah, maybe. I mean I would vote Unmasked as the better album out of the two. Both are great. Just giving a potential reason why Unmasked against Lick it Up is winning in this poll when there are multiple choices. Especially as Lick it Up is very well liked.
I prefer UNMASKED too. And I love both. I guess I just find it surprising that UNMASKED is in front. Right now the poll ranks the top 4 in the same order as I do.
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Grand Classic »

We have a lot of Australians here. LIU would win against Unmasked in most polls.
Jemgirl
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Jemgirl »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:34 pm We have a lot of Australians here. LIU would win against Unmasked in most polls.
Good point. Unmasked was popular in Australia and the 1980 tour was massive, I’m Australian and i like the Unmasked album.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Best to worst

Lick It Up
Creatures
Unmasked
Elder
Crazy Shytes
Assylum
Hot in the Shame
Stanimalize
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Best to Worst ...
as follows:

Asylum
Animalize
Lick It Up
Hot in the Shade
Crazy Nights
Creatures of the Night
Smashes, Thrashes & Hits
Music from The Elder
Unmasked
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Asylum is better than a greatest hits album with all their best songs on it?
r&rhell2013
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by r&rhell2013 »

Lick It Up with Creatures a close second.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Statuegirl21 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:45 pm Asylum is better than a greatest hits album with all their best songs on it?
-- and how!
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Bruce wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:43 pm
Statuegirl21 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:45 pm Asylum is better than a greatest hits album with all their best songs on it?
-- and how!
Absolutely! Some of those remixes were awful. Great songs neutered and tampered with ruins the greatness. ASYLUM is one of the most cohesive, well rounded and musically outstanding albums in the catalog.
ypke
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by ypke »

Legsofsteel wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:03 pm

We could only pick one this time. Ifyou could pick 3 it would've had a more nuanced outcome.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Mr Slow wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:39 am ASYLUM is one of the most cohesive, well rounded and musically outstanding albums in the catalog.
You're very perceptive! And you're not alone in your observations -- your findings. Bruce Kulick made such an impact on me, when I heard this record for the first time. It made me want to pick up a guitar and learn how to play. I never really committed to it, where you never see me without my guitar at the ready. Just a hobby guitarist, really. But it all starts with ASYLUM, for me. It changed my life!
100,000 beers
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by 100,000 beers »

Unmasked
battra

Post by battra »

If I had to choose an album...my choice would be The Elder.

What can I say? I like terrible concept records.

I recognize that we're talking about an oddball, so let's kick that one out. Frankly, then it would be Lick It Up as it's the most tasteful record of the 80's, which means it holds up the best in 2021.

Every single album the Kiss catalog as a minimum of 2 good tunes on it, so there's really a lot to like in this era, but, there's a lot of me too, also ran, stuff going on in Kissworld at this time...

Like...way more obviously than it had been in the past.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

I will never understand the people who think Asylum is a high note in their discography.

The songs are not really there. Who Wants To Be Lonely and Tears Are Falling are more appropriate for a Paul Stanley solo album, it was self produced so it sounds like shit and Bruce's tone on the album is awful.

If there is a case to be made that KISS REALLY lost something with Vinnie Vincent no longer doing the heavy lifting with the songwriting after Creatures/LIU, it is Asylum, Crazy Nights and HITS.
Bender
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Bender »

Creatures...they lost me until Revenge...purchase wise..know of the following albums..
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

battra wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:41 pm Every single album the Kiss catalog as a minimum of 2 good tunes on it…
Interesting. I’d say 4. All my least favourites (GS, & PC, HITS, PC, DTK) have at least 4 ‘keepers’.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:49 pm I will never understand the people who think Asylum is a high note in their discography.
Cool. You can just add misunderstood to non objective and delusional.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

firekiss wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:52 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:49 pm I will never understand the people who think Asylum is a high note in their discography.
Boom Tish! 🥁😁
Asylumize
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Asylumize »

Creatures for me, but Lick it Up and Asylum are not far behind!
Forevertj

Post by Forevertj »

The production of Creatures makes it impossible for me to rate it number one. Lick it up saved Kiss. It wins.
UglySickJoker
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by UglySickJoker »

Unmasked
Music From The Elder

The rest can/should be erased....
pete1699
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by pete1699 »

Tough poll. I chose Unmasked. But it’s really tough. In my head i look at the first 3 80s albums almost as a separate era. Like an additional arm or leg to the 70s. And then I think of the new era as starting with Lick it Up.
I think it’s just because these albums from the 80s are so diverse and all of the place stylistically. But I love it, be jade this was the era I grew up with.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Some KISS fans will just praise ANYTHING with the KISS logo slapped on it. There are no standards or level of quality that needs to be met for these people. It is very disappointing.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

KISS fans : supporting mediocrity since 1984.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Statuegirl21 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:48 am KISS fans : supporting mediocrity since 1984.
KISS fans : complaining about everything since 1979.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Mr Slow : protecting KISS and deflecting the blame for their stupid actions on KISSFAQ since 2016
Hi I'm Witz

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

jconnors wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:28 am More people on here like Unmasked over Lick it up? :roll:

:lol: :lol:
I don't get it either. There either must be a ton of Aussies on this forum or fans who came along right when Unmasked released and that was their first KISS album.

Forget LIU, I would take Animalize and Asylum over Unmasked too.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

The songs are not really there. Who Wants To Be Lonely and Tears Are Falling are more appropriate for a Paul Stanley solo album, it was self produced so it sounds like shit and Bruce's tone on the album is awful.

If there is a case to be made that KISS REALLY lost something with Vinnie Vincent no longer doing the heavy lifting with the songwriting after Creatures/LIU, it is Asylum, Crazy Nights and HITS.
⬆️ Agreed. For me, there is oftentimes 2 types of people like this.

The Admitter.
“Crazy Nights is my favorite album. I know I’m a weirdo, but I was 13 when it was released & it has special memories for me. I love the classic ‘70s Records too.”

The Delusional Professor.
“The Elder is a masterpiece! Destroyer & RnR Over are ~*utter*~ garbage! You’re all fools! Sheep! I’m so much more sophisticated than everyone!”

I would be delighted to have a beer with the Admitter & agree to disagree. 👍

I don’t really want anything to do with the Delusional Professor. 🤢
Hi I'm Witz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:04 am
jconnors wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:28 am More people on here like Unmasked over Lick it up? :roll:

I don't get it either. There either must be a ton of Aussies on this forum or fans who came along right when Unmasked released and that was their first KISS album.

⬆️ This makes me think of 2 points.

A significant percentage of people will automatically pick the earlier release, every. Single. Time. For example, Crazy Nights > Revenge. Maybe 25% or so will swear by this every time.

Ranked Choice Voting is a great idea & it should be widespread IRL. For instance, pick your Top 3 out of a dozen choices. Choice A is worth 3 points, Choice B is 2 points, Choice C is 1 point.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

richardsimmons wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:48 am

⬆️ Agreed. For me, there is oftentimes 2 types of people like this.

The Admitter.
“Crazy Nights is my favorite album. I know I’m a weirdo, but I was 13 when it was released & it has special memories for me. I love the classic ‘70s Records too.”

The Delusional Professor.
“The Elder is a masterpiece! Destroyer & RnR Over are ~*utter*~ garbage! You’re all fools! Sheep! I’m so much more sophisticated than everyone!”

I would be delighted to have a beer with the Admitter & agree to disagree. 👍

I don’t really want anything to do with the Delusional Professor. 🤢
Hi I'm Witz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:04 am

⬆️ This makes me think of 2 points.

A significant percentage of people will automatically pick the earlier release, every. Single. Time. For example, Crazy Nights > Revenge. Maybe 25% or so will swear by this every time.

Ranked Choice Voting is a great idea & it should be widespread IRL. For instance, pick your Top 3 out of a dozen choices. Choice A is worth 3 points, Choice B is 2 points, Choice C is 1 point.
I like the cut of your jib.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:41 am
Some KISS fans will just praise ANYTHING with the KISS logo slapped on it. There are no standards or level of quality that needs to be met for these people. It is very disappointing.
Misunderstood
Non objective
Delusional
No standard
No quality
Disappointing

:lol:
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

firekiss wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:00 pm
Misunderstood
Non objective
Delusional
No standard
No quality
Disappointing

It is the cross I have to bear with some KISS fans.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:05 pm

Misunderstood
Non objective
Delusional
No standard
No quality
Disappointing

I'm sure, in time, I'll add more to the list.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

firekiss wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:11 pm

Misunderstood
Non objective
Delusional
No standard
No quality
Disappointing

Like I said, it is disappointing and my cross to bear.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:15 pm

Misunderstood
Non objective
Delusional
No standard
No quality
Disappointing

Only because you choose to do it.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

firekiss wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:17 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:15 pm

Only because you choose to do it.
You have to take the good with the bad unfortunately.
Hotter Than Heck

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

Smashes but no Killers?

Unmasked is a childhood favorite, the Elder is always near & dear to me heart

For me from the new Killers tracks thru Asylum those albums are all full of great fun songs & killer riffs

They kinda lost me with Crazy Nights & those new Smashes tunes

Hot in the Shade wasn't great but it was lots better than Crazy Nights & Smashes for me

From this list it's close between Creatures & Lick It Up but I'll go with Lick It Up since there's more songs, no outright ballads (A Million to One is more of a mid tempo melodic rock song than a ballad to me) & the guitar player on the album cover actually plays on the album

So Lick It Up, but Creatures is right right right there, so close
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Only 57% say Unmasked OR Creatures. Insane.