Who was Hotter Than Hell first?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
StarChild1978
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Who was Hotter Than Hell first?

Post by StarChild1978 »

An interesting observation: I own this original Styx promo poster but it doesn’t have a date printed on it. I’ve seen two sources stating it is from 1972. If so, it predates KISS’ HTH album by a couple of years. Styx was off the Wooden Nickel label by the end of 1974 so even if it was printed later it was still in the same general time as the HTH release. The similarities are interesting to me to say the least.

Has anyone else ever seen or noticed this?
86EA09F6-5BE7-4BB4-9872-EB22645164E6.jpeg
75CCE7C2-AD8D-4C64-BD48-854DE85CCB24.jpeg
BFD3C02E-19F2-4CED-90B0-072986848766.jpeg
C9801305-4169-4251-BA60-DE4A6AA7184D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caligari
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Who was Hotter Than Hell first?

Post by caligari »

1972?
The “winner” is STYX.
Frigoria
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Frigoria »

Zeitgeist.
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

This is shocking,
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Just Wow
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

It's sad. The longer you stay a KISS fan, the more you start to realise that they've never had an original idea in their lives.

My user name refers to my website where I review every single song recorded by the band. I never really realised it before, but the amount of KISS songs that completely and blatantly steal from other songs by other bands is absolutely shocking.
THUNDERKISS66
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by THUNDERKISS66 »

Just to-be-clear. No band or musician has had an original idea. Every single musician or band as BORROWED some idea or song from people or persons'. To say KISS has not had an original idea is irrelevant. All musicians are influenced by something.
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

THUNDERKISS66 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 pm Just to-be-clear. No band or musician has had an original idea. Every single musician or band as BORROWED some idea or song from people or persons'. To say KISS has not had an original idea is irrelevant. All musicians are influenced by something.
There's influence and then there's outright theft.

Gene liked the Beatles. You can hear it in his bass playing, his harmony vocals and a couple of songs on his solo album. That's influence.

Paul heard Pour Some Sugar On Me on the radio and thought "I'll fucking have some of that" and went off to write Read My Body. That's theft.
battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by battra »

THUNDERKISS66 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 pm Just to-be-clear. No band or musician has had an original idea. Every single musician or band as BORROWED some idea or song from people or persons'. To say KISS has not had an original idea is irrelevant. All musicians are influenced by something.
Have you met Steve Vai or Jimi Hendrix?

:)

I'd also posit that being influenced by and stealing from are not the same thing.

Ace was influenced by Jimi, but he did not steal from Jimi, that I'm aware of. Influenced as, borrowed some techniques.
battra

Post by battra »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:42 pm

Gene liked the Beatles. You can hear it in his bass playing, his harmony vocals and a couple of songs on his solo album. That's influence.

Paul heard Pour Some Sugar On Me on the radio and thought "I'll fucking have some of that" and went off to write Read My Body. That's theft.
Exactly that.

Ace liked oh, damn, what song is it? Crosstown Traffic I think, where Jimi does this diad riff where he bends up the lower note to the higher note..a throwaway technique in a single song, but Ace used it all over the place.

Ace listened to guys like Page, Clapton, etc and used the 12 bar turn around chords to end off his solos.

Paul heard "All Right Now" and wrote "Hotter Than Hell," that was "me basically re-writing that song."

I got no issues with theft, but I'm gonna be pedantic on this and point out the difference between influence and theft.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

The Kiss Guy
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by The Kiss Guy »

Actually....KISS rips itself off in a way.

Listen to the chorus of "Hotter than Hell"....

Hot Hot...Hotter than Hell

Doesn't that strike a resemblance to the chorus of KISS' first single "Nothin' to Lose"...

You Got Got...Nothin' to Lose

Food for thought
caligari

Post by caligari »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:21 pm It's sad. The longer you stay a KISS fan, the more you start to realise that they've never had an original idea in their lives.

My user name refers to my website where I review every single song recorded by the band. I never really realised it before, but the amount of KISS songs that completely and blatantly steal from other songs by other bands is absolutely shocking.
Can you give us a
Link and Access to your Site?
torgotheme
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by torgotheme »

So did Styx invent the phrase "hotter than hell"? I thought it's been around for a while, used to describe the weather, food, or what have you. I personally don't think our band stole it from some other band's obscure-looking promo poster.

Classifying what "Read My Body" is is a whole nother thread (I call that one "lame bandwagoning").
mot$$33
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mot$$33 »

Styx is a river in hell, thus the phrase on their poster.
Kisscandinavia
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Kisscandinavia »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:21 pm It's sad. The longer you stay a KISS fan, the more you start to realise that they've never had an original idea in their lives.

So true :(
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Every musician steals with pride.
You can take the most original musicians in the world and ask them, and they would say: "Yeah, I heard this and that and did my take on it..."
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

Are you implying that Styx “invented” the phrase Hotter Than Hell?
ypke

Post by ypke »

caligari wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:23 pm

Can you give us a
Link and Access to your Site?
Please do, cause Google didn't find it just searching by your name.
Put the sex in my ex
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Put the sex in my ex »

But didn't Bob Halligan say something like that the songs(Rise to it, Read my body) were almost finished when he brought them to Paul?

That makes your "Paul listened on radio" story false
peterj116
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by peterj116 »

gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

On a positive note regarding "stealing", at least they've never claimed to be original. Then again, I much prefer the stylistic bandwagon-hopping of Kiss over stealing from your own repertoire over and over a la AC/DC. Rock and roll is seldom "original" anyway. Kiss at least provide some variety.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Borrowing and being influenced and/or inspired by something, and having original ideas can and often do coexist. To say "no band or musician has had an original idea"... it would be easy to list examples from the late '60s alone where this clearly is not true.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

peterj116 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:02 am https://thekissproject7312.wordpress.com
Nice!!!
banks

Post by banks »

Put the sex in my ex wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:58 pm

But didn't Bob Halligan say something like that the songs(Rise to it, Read my body) were almost finished when he brought them to Paul?

That makes your "Paul listened on radio" story false
I seem to recall Paul saying that Bob Halligan wrote the RMB chorus and that Bob had already started RTI before Paul became involved.
gabbagabba
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by gabbagabba »

True, unfortunately.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

The Kiss Guy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:13 pm Actually....KISS rips itself off in a way.

Listen to the chorus of "Hotter than Hell"....

Hot Hot...Hotter than Hell

Doesn't that strike a resemblance to the chorus of KISS' first single "Nothin' to Lose"...

You Got Got...Nothin' to Lose

Food for thought
Here’s some more food for you. “Bop, Bop, Boppin’ the Blues”

Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

All musicians "borrow". The most blatant one I heard was Cheap Trick "The Flame", which is a total "borrow" of a song called "Natures Way" by Randy California of the band Spirit in 1970

Natures Way by Spirit

The Flame by Cheap Trick

And I love Cheap Trick so I'm not busting on them.
savage_dreams

Post by savage_dreams »

if you think either kiss or styx coined the phrase "hotter than hell" youre dumber than dirt.
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by StillAlive »

Coventry1973 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:10 am All musicians "borrow". The most blatant one I heard was Cheap Trick "The Flame", which is a total "borrow" of a song called "Natures Way" by Randy California of the band Spirit in 1970
Poor Randy California.
Didn't Zeppelin also "steal" Stairway to Heaven from Randy California/Spirit :wink:
As well as steal from many other black artists.
Discuss...
Mackemkiss

Post by Mackemkiss »

Styx absolutely stink! I can't believe people actually listen to them :lol:
Even someone as middle of the road as REO Speedwagon are miles better
Kissologist

Post by Kissologist »

So... there's no use in discussing Motley's Hotter Than Hell? :P

StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by StillAlive »

StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by StillAlive »

Mackemkiss wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:57 am Styx absolutely stink! I can't believe people actually listen to them :lol:
Even someone as middle of the road as REO Speedwagon are miles better
Styx > REO Speedwagon

They've got some excellent tines. Miss America, Suite Madame Blue, Crystal Ball, etc.
HeavyMetal1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by HeavyMetal1 »

Its crazy how you discover shit. My friend just pointed out to me how Maidens Children of the damned borrowed from a Hendrix tune
HeavyMetal1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by HeavyMetal1 »

Even the Stones. It must be hell from Undercover, was borrowed for Rock in a hard place 4 years later
nfarend

Post by nfarend »

StarChild1978 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:15 pm An interesting observation: I own this original Styx promo poster but it doesn’t have a date printed on it. I’ve seen two sources stating it is from 1972. If so, it predates KISS’ HTH album by a couple of years.
And it wasn't just the album title, it's also the backcover. Well, at least somewhat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StarChild1978
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by StarChild1978 »

Much Too Soon wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:43 pm Are you implying that Styx “invented” the phrase Hotter Than Hell?
What gave you the idea the post was implying that?

It compares two specific items within a two year period and asked which band used it first. Nothing to do with the origin of the phrase.

I find the similarities interesting.
Pollux
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Pollux »

You do what you do and when it looks like you is all it takes. When it sounds, looks, feels (etc) original / personal it propably is.
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

gene therapist wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:49 am On a positive note regarding "stealing", at least they've never claimed to be original. Then again, I much prefer the stylistic bandwagon-hopping of Kiss over stealing from your own repertoire over and over a la AC/DC. Rock and roll is seldom "original" anyway. Kiss at least provide some variety.
While I have a tremendous amount of respect for AC/DC, I totally agree with what you said. I always liked the variety of KISS.
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

Coventry1973 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:10 am All musicians "borrow". The most blatant one I heard was Cheap Trick "The Flame", which is a total "borrow" of a song called "Natures Way" by Randy California of the band Spirit in 1970

Natures Way by Spirit

The Flame by Cheap Trick

And I love Cheap Trick so I'm not busting on them.
I know I'm in a small minority but I really like The Flame. Then again I have always been a little sappy for a good rock ballad.
Stlouisblue
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Stlouisblue »

It looks like Nick traced it...
KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

Styx - Hotter than a muggy summer day in Chicago at best.
Ludwig Paiste 77
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Ludwig Paiste 77 »

KISS, why?

Pyro Pyro Pyro
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

StarChild1978 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:54 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:43 pm Are you implying that Styx “invented” the phrase Hotter Than Hell?
What gave you the idea the post was implying that?

It compares two specific items within a two year period and asked which band used it first. Nothing to do with the origin of the phrase.

I find the similarities interesting.
It was a question ds.