Unreleased Peter Criss songs 1980

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
tolvis
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Unreleased Peter Criss songs 1980

Post by tolvis »

Since it's the 41st anniversary of the Out Of Control album around now I uploaded the two unreleased tracks from that album. Both exist in demo aswell as final mix form, I upped 'em all. Enjoy!

LoveGuns

Re: Unreleased Peter Criss songs 1980

Post by LoveGuns »

Always absolutely loves those two songs. Pity they never made the album
vdojaq
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by vdojaq »

I lover Peter and what he was in the he band, BUT, Peter is not a good vocal recording artist.
67Kiss
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by 67Kiss »

They have a disco feel, especially Could be love. The vocal on that one reminds me of Alice Cooper.
Statuegirl21
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Statuegirl21 »

Would totally fit on From The Inside.
Julien
EXP20240130

Post by Julien »

Always loved "Could it be Love." Would love Peter to tell the story behind that one and why it didn't make the cut. Just fantastic vibe that works well with the sound of the band and his voice and delivery.
Tail of a hurricane
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Should've been used on a deluxe
Luchino
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Luchino »

I asked Peter in a M&G in 2017 about releasing his demos like Janilee and these posted above, and he somehow managed to reply talking about his rock album he had in mind, so it would be great if someone asks him if he plans a Peter Criss Vault... one that I've always loved is Rock And Roll Survivor, that's f great song

Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

Julien wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:51 am Always loved "Could it be Love." Would love Peter to tell the story behind that one and why it didn't make the cut. Just fantastic vibe that works well with the sound of the band and his voice and delivery.
I think the simple answer that was given was that producer David Wolfert wanted to put more "I'm on my own/new chapter/gonna make it" style songs on there and I'd wager these two songs got cut for being too similar to the rest of the album. Some of the redundant stuff had to go.

By Myself and My Life seem like they were written on the spot, since David Wolfert is listed as a co-writer and these two songs got the axe to make room.
kingotnw
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kingotnw »

I think this stuff is cool enough, but I just don’t understand why someone couldn’t write him a rock album after coming out of KISS. I think all the cocaine was going to people’s brains. Actually thinking the drummer from Kiss was going to be successful with this kind of music was crazy. Again, I like it for what it is, but it’s just such a major misstep.
Diss

Post by Diss »

First off, THANK YOU for uploading these!

But, man ... this stuff is just awful. "You're My Girl" is especially horrible with those lyrics.

"But together ... oh, baby, together ... oh, honey, together ... we're gonna make it OK
Cuz you're my girl, you're my girl, you're my girl ... and I love you."

His session musicians always sound so bored on his solo album stuff, too. It's just uninteresting. Blackballed or not, no way any of this was going anywhere for Petey boy.
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

kingotnw wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:18 pm I think this stuff is cool enough, but I just don’t understand why someone couldn’t write him a rock album after coming out of KISS. I think all the cocaine was going to people’s brains. Actually thinking the drummer from Kiss was going to be successful with this kind of music was crazy. Again, I like it for what it is, but it’s just such a major misstep.
Peter's albums aren't great, but soft rock was pretty big in 1980 and 1982. Peter going after the Billy Joel and Kenny Loggins audience was more commercially viable than making something like The Elder or Creatures of the Night. Out of Control and Let Me Rock You are pretty standard soft rock albums for the times.

And I'll say again that stuff Billy Joel and Loggins & Messina did was better than Peter's stuff, but they made platinum albums hitting that combo of current sounds meeting nostalgia tunes and pastiches. Billy Joel had a 7x platinum album in 1983 that I'd say follows the same template as Peter's 78 solo album...it's a lot better, but the point is that Peter's albums aren't insanely off the path of music at the time.
kingotnw
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kingotnw »

Nately120 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:14 pm
kingotnw wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:18 pm I think this stuff is cool enough, but I just don’t understand why someone couldn’t write him a rock album after coming out of KISS. I think all the cocaine was going to people’s brains. Actually thinking the drummer from Kiss was going to be successful with this kind of music was crazy. Again, I like it for what it is, but it’s just such a major misstep.
Peter's albums aren't great, but soft rock was pretty big in 1980 and 1982. Peter going after the Billy Joel and Kenny Loggins audience was more commercially viable than making something like The Elder or Creatures of the Night. Out of Control and Let Me Rock You are pretty standard soft rock albums for the times.

And I'll say again that stuff Billy Joel and Loggins & Messina did was better than Peter's stuff, but they made platinum albums hitting that combo of current sounds meeting nostalgia tunes and pastiches. Billy Joel had a 7x platinum album in 1983 that I'd say follows the same template as Peter's 78 solo album...it's a lot better, but the point is that Peter's albums aren't insanely off the path of music at the time.
Dude. Billy Joel was a million times more rock and roll than anything Peter has released on his own. Have you heard 52nd Street or Glass Houses? Even The Stranger? There’s no comparison. But all that said o get what you’re saying. Thing is, he was “the kiss guy”. Fans were not wanting soft rock. Also for the record, the album 52nd Street by Billy Joel rocks harder than many KISS albums.
EasyCatMan
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by EasyCatMan »

Love these songs
Somebody Backstage
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Somebody Backstage »

Peter's released work was bad enough. I don't think I can listen to the unreleased stuff.
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

kingotnw wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:31 pm
Nately120 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:14 pm

Dude. Billy Joel was a million times more rock and roll than anything Peter has released on his own. Have you heard 52nd Street or Glass Houses? Even The Stranger? There’s no comparison. But all that said o get what you’re saying. Thing is, he was “the kiss guy”. Fans were not wanting soft rock. Also for the record, the album 52nd Street by Billy Joel rocks harder than many KISS albums.
An Innocent Man is very similar to Peters 78 solo and Out of Control and Glass Houses are in the same genre.

Peter was going after the right market. And 52 street is a top notch album but it's got 70s rock with horns and piano and ballads and flutes and strings and was a good template to shoot for.

Even if Peter was the kiss guy, artists have to change with the times. Kenny Loggins was Mr 80s schlock after being in a group known for hippie folk and 60s throwback and long ass jam songs. Hall and Oates were huge in the 80s after being folk guys and then 70s power ballad types.

Anyways, Peter was making the right genre of music, it just wasn't chart worthy. An album that sounds like Strange Ways ×10 wouldn't have had a shot, either.

I love billy joel but to act like songs like James, or Ny State of Mind or Just the Way You Are on hard albums is a bit much.
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

Not sure I ever used the word before But….It’s just…’meh’.

meh
/me,me,me/
INFORMAL
exclamation
exclamation: meh
expressing a lack of interest or enthusiasm.
"Meh. I'm not impressed so far"
adjective
adjective: meh
uninspiring; unexceptional.
"a lot of his movies are … meh"
sneed78
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by sneed78 »

Peter has a great voice, but being tone deaf and his pitchiness could run an already mediocre song completely in the ground.

But I could hear Could It Be Love as the token Peter tune for Unmasked... buried somewhere on side two.
Last edited by sneed78 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

Fantastic stuff. It's sad that Peter recorded only two solo albums in the 80's.
A melodic AOR album by Pete from 85-88 would have been awesome!
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

sneed78 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:43 pm Peter has a great voice, but being tone deaf and his pitchiness could run an already mediocre song completely in the ground.

But I could hear Could It Be Love as the token Peter tune for Unmasked... buried somewhere on side two.
In some parallel dimension KISS probably put a Peter Out Of Control song on Unmasked to help sell that he was still in the band ala Dynasty and Dirty Livin'.

Kisscandinavia wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:28 am Fantastic stuff. It's sad that Peter recorded only two solo albums in the 80's.
I know there are demos of a scrapped Criss/Penridge album from 85 or so out there. Some of the stuff sounds OK in a "Welp, it's the 80s" sort of way.
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

Nately120 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:42 am
sneed78 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:43 pm Peter has a great voice, but being tone deaf and his pitchiness could run an already mediocre song completely in the ground.

In some parallel dimension KISS probably put a Peter Out Of Control song on Unmasked to help sell that he was still in the band ala Dynasty and Dirty Livin'.
OR possibly named the album after it: 😲
Bubba
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Bubba »

This stuff sucks and that is why it never made it..
Man of a Thousand Aces

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

vdojaq wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:03 am I lover Peter and what he was in the he band, BUT, Peter is not a good vocal recording artist.
He was when he had a good producer to keep on him.
pete1699
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by pete1699 »

I’ve never heard these songs! Did he really prepare these for the Unmasked album? Or are these leftovers that didn’t make Out of Control? I didn’t think he would have been preparing anything for Unmasked.
Crazy Crazy Mike

Post by Crazy Crazy Mike »

kingotnw wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:31 pmAlso for the record, the album 52nd Street by Billy Joel rocks harder than many KISS albums.
rico
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by rico »

He should have called his first solo album 'Out of the Band' not 'Out of control'. I have come to really like out of control but 'let me rock you' is dull.
ManOf1000Faces
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ManOf1000Faces »

I can totally hear "Could It Be Love (demo)" and "Your My Girl (final)" on Unmasked. Without Peter touring with KISS, it would've been pointless though.
Easy Catman
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Easy Catman »

Love "Could It Be Love" and "Rock and Roll Survivor" great unreleased recordings. Hopefully at some point in the future someone will compile the many unreleased and unfinished songs that are out there and make a cohesive product for the small but loyal PC fanbase.

The infamous PC rock album that would be great to hear. There are a few moments of quality on "One For All" but I hope like Kiss My Ascot this isn't the last thing.
tolvis
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by tolvis »

pete1699 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:50 pm I’ve never heard these songs! Did he really prepare these for the Unmasked album? Or are these leftovers that didn’t make Out of Control? I didn’t think he would have been preparing anything for Unmasked.
As my original post at the top says these are demos and outtakes from the Out Of Control album.
kingotnw
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kingotnw »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:28 am Fantastic stuff. It's sad that Peter recorded only two solo albums in the 80's.
I know there are demos of a scrapped Criss/Penridge album from 85 or so out there. Some of the stuff sounds OK in a "Welp, it's the 80s" sort of way.
I’d like to hear those demos. I’m not surprised it was scrapped though. By 85 Peter was completely irrelevant. Couple of questions. Did Pete actually play drums on these songs, and what type of 80s music were they?
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

Unfortunately,there would be a very limited market for this if it were to be released
Robdaddy

Post by Robdaddy »

Awful.

And this further cements how full of shit he was when he talked about all his “great material” being “held back” for years…and once he was on his own, the flood gates would open from the archive. Well, all these decades later, I’m still waiting for all that “great material.”
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

kingotnw wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:22 pm

I’d like to hear those demos. I’m not surprised it was scrapped though. By 85 Peter was completely irrelevant. Couple of questions. Did Pete actually play drums on these songs, and what type of 80s music were they?
It's the stuff he did with Stan Penridge in 84 and 85. I haven't looked into it lately, but I'd wager Stan played guitar and Peter is the drummer and part-time lead vocalist.

Here is a youtube playlist of the demos, and a link to the KISSFAQ info page for some of the stuff. The stuff sounds ok to me, but I like Peter's solo stuff more than a sane person should.

https://www.kiss-related-recordings.nl/ ... _1983.html

https://www.kiss-related-recordings.nl/ ... _1984.html
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Interesting.
Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

Peter/Kiss had a huge hit with Beth
Kiss themselves were heading in a more pop direction and scored a bit hit with I Was Made for Lovin' You.

It's easy to see why Peter took such a pop direction rather than releasing a hard rock album. I would have preferred the latter, but it's clear why we got the former.
Mikel Black
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mikel Black »

I don't mind the Let Me Rock You album, especially the Steve Stevens song "First Day in the Rain".

But the thing that prevented Peter from becoming a successful solo artist is the quality of his output, not the genre he chose.

There is nothing on any of Peter's albums that hasn't been done better by someone else. He needed originality and quality if he was going to leave a mark as a solo artist.

Being "the guy that used to be the drummer in KISS" could have worked in his favour if he had the musicality to put out some truly great albums, but unfortunately he didn't.
torgotheme
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by torgotheme »

That's what I'm sayin'. He should have made friends with some legit songwriters and musicians in the early '80s instead of dicking around with Stan Penridge in a coke haze and playing to 8 people at the Cherry Croft Inn. Total waste of talent. It would have been really interesting if he could have done some material in a Joe Cocker/Michael McDonald/Bill Champlin R&B kinda vein. I think his drumming sounds great on the Balls of Fire shows, but that didn't go anywhere, thanks to his ego, and he went full Spinal Tap with CRISS. For what Peter has accomplished musically, it's safe to say he is utterly clueless in terms of his own musical identity and direction.