Not Recommended Music On Soviet Radio Stations In 1985

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Not Recommended Music On Soviet Radio Stations In 1985

Post by Grand Classic »

Ludwig Paiste 77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Re: Not Recommended Music On Soviet Radio Stations In 1985

Post by Ludwig Paiste 77 »

Love the KISS "Reason" (You believe in Rock and Roll ....are you with us)

Love the Van Halen "Reason " (Yeah, Dude let's party)
tazchris
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by tazchris »

Village People = Violence????????
FlamingRuth
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by FlamingRuth »

Why yes....
when I think of violent images and 1985 the Village People are always the first group that pops into my mind.

:cyclopsani:
moshpitwookie
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by moshpitwookie »

FlamingRuth wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:43 pm Why yes....
when I think of violent images and 1985 the Village People are always the first group that pops into my mind.

I mean, they were in the Navy....
funkyfourier
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by funkyfourier »

I like how "punk" seems to be a reason in itself.
Ludwig Paiste 77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Ludwig Paiste 77 »

I love that Ramones are just....Punk
kisswah
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kisswah »

AC/DC neofascism?
KISS's nationalism is pretty accurate though :-)
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

You and me both :cyclopsani:
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Kissoff wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:21 pm

I worked with a guy from Russia for awhile. And while he was in the Soviet Army, on-duty guarding the Berlin Wall, a bunch of fellow 'officers' thought it'd be a good idea to listen to some Michael Jackson (circa 1984). They were later after being found-out, all lined-up in front of him, plus others that didn't partake & subsequently shot dead with AK-47s.

💥💥💥💥💥.😮
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

jkiss wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:51 pm
Kissoff wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:21 pm

I worked with a guy from Russia for awhile. And while he was in the Soviet Army, on-duty guarding the Berlin Wall, a bunch of fellow 'officers' thought it'd be a good idea to listen to some Michael Jackson (circa 1984). They were later after being found-out, all lined-up in front of him, plus others that didn't partake & subsequently shot dead with AK-47s.

💥💥💥💥💥.😮
Kinky.
metalfuel

Post by metalfuel »

How stupid and warped are your brains if you come up with this list, total bullshit.
Tito

Post by Tito »

I wonder how Pink Floyd did that.
peopleselbow
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by peopleselbow »

Looks like what a woke teacher or politician would say today.
LordThurisaz
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by LordThurisaz »

A place like the USSR accusing anyone of fascism is absolutely silly.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

peopleselbow wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:09 am Looks like what a woke teacher or politician would say today.
Accurate.
stutterer

Post by stutterer »

Here's the original. Nothing to do with the radio, nothing of this sort was ever on there. Except for "Voice of America" radio that was heavily jammed.
This is a memo for regional party officials to pass around, that pertains to shutting down discos (basically restaurants with a sound system and a dancefloor), if music by these bands would get played there.
Den Dennis
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Den Dennis »

10cc and Julio, you Neo-fascist bastards!
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

It’s funny to me that Donna Summer’s offense was ‘Eroticism’ while Tina Turner’s was just plain old ‘Sex’.
It must have been all that moaning in Love to Love You Baby that pushed Donna into the next category.

Also , it’s stupidly hilarious to me that the Ramones were simply guilty of ‘Punk’.
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

THE BAND………………THE REASON.
ACE FREHLEY……………SUCKS.
Tanith
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Tanith »

I had no idea Genghis Khan had a band. :)
Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

China just banned effeminate men from tv.
Something like this is always happening somewhere
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

So many bands are missing on the list, maybe they didn't know more bands/artists back then :)
KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede »

tazchris wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:37 pm Village People = Violence????????
Some people felt/feel threatened just looking at a band looking like Village People.....mental violence of some sorts.....
KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede »

At the same time the U.S had that Tipper Gore-organization which had enough power to force warning labels on record albums that contained (what they considered to be) offensive material.....

And was it not the americans that around the terror attack on WTC banned several songs to be played on radio as they were 'lyrically questionable'?
I get the grief and the need for healing, but the influence of some organizations in the U.S seem to have a mindset not that far from what could/can be seen in the Soviet Union/Russia.

And also...how fast things can change, four years later the Russians had their own (westernized) metal band, Gorky Park. And soon after the whole dissolution of the Soviet Union (and ensuing chaos) and time of seemingly rejection of the past (that later returned once things settled down....hello Putin)

Not that we Swedes have been spared from that kind of pressuring to stay away from what was/is not considered to be acceptable.....although I don't recall outright bans, it's more like pointing fingers which is bad enough (if you ask me)
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

Times change... you weren't allowed to say "shit" on Finnish TV in the 80's, and nowadays I hear things like "I wanna fuck you" on daytime television...
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

KrazySwede wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:51 am At the same time the U.S had that Tipper Gore-organization which had enough power to force warning labels on record albums that contained (what they considered to be) offensive material.....

And was it not the americans that around the terror attack on WTC banned several songs to be played on radio as they were 'lyrically questionable'?
I get the grief and the need for healing, but the influence of some organizations in the U.S seem to have a mindset not that far from what could/can be seen in the Soviet Union/Russia.

And also...how fast things can change, four years later the Russians had their own (westernized) metal band, Gorky Park. And soon after the whole dissolution of the Soviet Union (and ensuing chaos) and time of seemingly rejection of the past (that later returned once things settled down....hello Putin)

Not that we Swedes have been spared from that kind of pressuring to stay away from what was/is not considered to be acceptable.....although I don't recall outright bans, it's more like pointing fingers which is bad enough (if you ask me)
I don't remember any lyrically questionable songs being banned after the WTC attack. I do however remember the dumb Senate Hearing with Tipper Gore to pit those labels on albums. I think those labels ended up helping album sales more than they hurt them, haha.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

bassmansteiny wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:43 pm
KrazySwede wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:51 am At the same time the U.S had that Tipper Gore-organization which had enough power to force warning labels on record albums that contained (what they considered to be) offensive material.....

I don't remember any lyrically questionable songs being banned after the WTC attack. I do however remember the dumb Senate Hearing with Tipper Gore to pit those labels on albums. I think those labels ended up helping album sales more than they hurt them, haha.
There were a number of them that they banned, like Bodies.

https://www.kerrang.com/features/here-a ... fter-9-11/
StillAlive
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by StillAlive »

Obviously they had issues with translation/context.
Nazareth gets accused of sadism for "Love Hurts".
JohnBergless

Post by JohnBergless »

Nothing on the list about possession, use and trafficking of illegal drugs; I was wondering why none of McGhee’s bands weren’t on the list. So you get whacked for drugs- say I’m sorry and put on a rock show……. Call it good
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Krokus is misspelled.
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

I recall hearing about songs getting blacklisted during Operation Desert Storm, mostly because Paper Lace wanted to reissue one of their two hits, Billy Don't Be a Hero, and the subject matter was deemed unacceptable given the current conflict.

Music has been being banned and frowned upon for generations.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

The stupid thing about these kinds of censorships is that the censors have to be very up to date with the music that is going to be banned.
So they had to listen to all these artists, to be able to identify their music.

It's like the Parental Advisory stickers on American music, those hypocrites had to listen to Prince singing about masturbation all the time.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

peopleselbow wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:09 am Looks like what a woke teacher or politician would say today.
Or in the 80's when congress suddenly decided that censorship against music was the right thing to do.
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

Nately120 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:30 pm

I recall hearing about songs getting blacklisted during Operation Desert Storm, mostly because Paper Lace wanted to reissue one of their two hits, Billy Don't Be a Hero, and the subject matter was deemed unacceptable given the current conflict.

Agree music has been frowned upon and banned. Just saying I didn't remember any music in particular being banned during the aftermath of 9/11. Of course that was what 20 years ago. So my memory may be a bit fuzzy on this subject 🙂
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:00 pm

There were a number of them that they banned, like Bodies.

https://www.kerrang.com/features/here-a ... fter-9-11/
Wow, did not realize that. However, I remember hearing some of those bands on the radio when I lived in Detroit at the time. More of a corporate radio decision type of thing it sounds like. Either way pretty ridiculous but I guess we were in a whole new era at that time and probably people didn't know what to do. Man I remember that day like it was yesterday. Hard to believe that it has been 20 years now 😲
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Religious obskurantism sounds pretty obskure.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

10cc - Neofacism??? :O
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

edit:

the Village People were violent because, well, I dunno. Great act tho.
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

redinthesky wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:37 pm
Much Too Soon wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:25 pm THE BAND………………THE REASON.
ACE FREHLEY……………SUCKS.
Dude....remember the next time you call people "Aceholes" that you made this reply in a post that has nothing to do with Ace Frehley, for absolutely no reason whatsoever than to go out of your way to try to get a rise and piss people off.
“Dude”🙂….It’s just carryover from other threads that day. Two can play the game. I HOPE it got under their skin. Score 1 for the previously silent majority 🤫

In reality I have all of Aces CDs. They’re good to great. In fact for my funeral we have the sheet music for all four Fractured Mirror pieces. Ready to be played in celebration. Some of the best music ever created. And NO. Absolutely No Kiss Kasket. 😂

Go have a malt and watch a sitcom. I’ll be in Kensington Friday if u or anyone wanna get some food and laugh a bit. PM me. My treat.
Last edited by Much Too Soon on Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:17 pm Image
it looks like a list that i had in a book put out by the 700 club. Even weird al had something wrong with him according to the book.
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

Nately120 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:30 pm

I participated in Desert Shield and Desert Storm. And a few skirmishes in Iraq No Fly Zone, Somalia and Afghanistan and again Iraq. As a member of the SCANG. We had our list presented to us of songs to steer away from but like all officers…we pitched it in the trash. Folks cannot do that these days in the military. No way. The number one song I remember hearing blasted by the kids for our friends to hear was IRON MAN….plus a few songs from Metallica’s KILL EM ALL Album. And when I said loud I mean..LOUD. Def Lepard, Van Halen, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer lots of BLACK SABBATH. Lots of Led Zep. Every song you can think of to get us down to that warrior level of thinking. And intimidate the enemy. Nothing was censored there that is for sure.

Rumor has it the Iraqi army finally surrendered after we blasted Peters Out of Control record over and over across the line. They begged us ….. IN TEARS…. to not make them throw up their hands.…so they could cover their ears. True story 😌

JK 🙂
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

gene therapist wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:37 am 10cc - Neofacism??? :O
I'm Messerschmitt, Fly Me!
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:27 am
gene therapist wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:37 am 10cc - Neofacism??? :O
I'm Messerschmitt, Fly Me!
Une nuit in Messerschmitt loaded up with rubber bullets! You fascist pigs!