Roger Daltrey Announces 2021 Tour Dates - "it’s important to get our road crew working again"

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Roger Daltrey Announces 2021 Tour Dates - "it’s important to get our road crew working again"

Post by StillAlive »

Yes, this applies to KISS among many bands. Daltrey is right and he's had a completely legitimate solo career not riding on the coattails of The Who.

In a new interview, Roger Daltrey emphasizes the importance of live music:

“It’s important to get our road crew working again – without these guys the halls would go silent. It’s also clear that live music is an important part of all our lives, something to free us from the groundhog days that life has become. This pandemic has brought home to me what an important part of me singing is and it’s made me determined to get back onstage ASAP. See you soon!”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/roger-da ... es-3040207
Where's Drago?
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Roger Daltrey Announces 2021 Tour Dates - "it’s important to get our road crew working again"

Post by Where's Drago? »

I love The Who.

But this story comes from a guy who also doesn't agree with masks, social distancing or self-isolation.

Going on tour to give roadies jobs is stretching it somewhat.

Daltrey simply believes the pandemic can go do one. It's an inconvenience to him.
Grand Classic

Re: Roger Daltrey Announces 2021 Tour Dates - "it’s important to get our road crew working again"

Post by Grand Classic »

StillAlive wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:58 am Yes, this applies to KISS among many bands. Daltrey is right and he's had a completely legitimate solo career not riding on the coattails of The Who.

“It’s important to get our road crew working again – without these guys the halls would go silent. It’s also clear that live music is an important part of all our lives, something to free us from the groundhog days that life has become. This pandemic has brought home to me what an important part of me singing is and it’s made me determined to get back onstage ASAP. See you soon!”

Daltrey really doesn't have much of a successful solo career, even though I dig some of his albums - but I see what you tried and failed to do here.
Tito

Post by Tito »

StillAlive wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:58 am he's had a completely legitimate solo career not riding on the coattails of The Who.
Is this why the tour is called "Who Was I"?
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:08 am
StillAlive wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:58 am Yes, this applies to KISS among many bands. Daltrey is right and he's had a completely legitimate solo career not riding on the coattails of The Who.

Daltrey really doesn't have much of a successful solo career, even though I dig some of his albums - but I see what you tried and failed to do here.
(Paid Agent)
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

DonnaDixon wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:03 am
Grand Classic wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:08 am

(Paid Agent)
Yes, I am paid to be here, because that makes remote sense.
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by StillAlive »

Where's Drago? wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:17 am I love The Who.
But this story comes from a guy who also doesn't agree with masks, social distancing or self-isolation.
He's 77 and fully vaccinated.
He even got the somewhat riskier AstraZeneca version (potential blood clots, etc.).

Roger Daltrey:

"I'm grateful to have received my coronavirus jab...Life’s a terminal illness and we can’t spend the time we have living in a box."
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by woodworm001 »

The thing with these COVID arguments is we are all at different stages getting out of this. I don't know where the US is exactly with their vaccination program but I think we are getting there in the UK so are therefore opening up, etc (anyone over 16 has been offered the jab). Crowds are going back to sports and music events.

We shouldn't be locking down for people that refuse the vaccine and now everyone at risk has been offered it then life should start returning to 'normal' (in the UK at least).

I've never heard a solo Roger Daltrey song even though I love the Who.
DOUBLE DYNASTY
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by DOUBLE DYNASTY »

And YET, people buy tickets because he sings for THE WHO: not because of the album "Ride a rock horse"...
Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

StillAlive wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:58 am Daltrey is right and he's had a completely legitimate solo career not riding on the coattails of The Who.
Listen, I love the Who. I think Roger is one of the coolest rock stars ever. Some of his solo stuff is pretty decent. However, I can't agree with notion he hasn't been riding the coattails of the Who. From Setlist.fm, just look at the names of his tours:

Roger Daltery Preforms the Who's Tommy
Performing The Who Hits, Rarities and Solo Hits
A Quick Run (While Pete's Away)
Tommy Japan Tour
Daltrey Performs The Who's Tommy
Etc.

And here's a setlist from his Use It or Lose It Tour:

Who Are You (The Who song)
The Real Me (The Who song)
Pictures of Lily (The Who song)
Behind Blue Eyes (The Who song)
Tattoo (The Who song)
Days of Light
Freedom Ride (Taj Mahal cover)
Gimme a Stone (Levon Helm cover)
Going Mobile (The Who song)
I'm a Man (Bo Diddley cover)
My Generation (The Who song)
I Can See for Miles (The Who song)
Squeeze Box (The Who song)
Who's Gonna Walk on Water?
Young Man Blues (Mose Allison cover)
Baba O'Riley (The Who song)
Johnny Cash Medley (Johnny Cash cover)
Born on the Bayou (Creedence Clearwater Revival cover)
Naked Eye (The Who song)
Blue, Red and Grey (The Who song)
Without Your Love

The majority of the setlist is comprised Who songs. Further, even if you take out the Who songs, he sang more covers than his own solo material
Last edited by Homer Simpson on Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wjs296
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by wjs296 »

Townsend has had a much bigger solo career and that setlist really exposes it. I have no issue with him going out and performing The Who material. LEe's face it, that is what most people want to hear. If you look at set lists from The Who, they haven't changed all that much either.
tazchris
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by tazchris »

Great they hitting the road again. I agree it is important to all who male their living that way for bands to be out there, regardless of the nay sayers. Not to mention that it gives something for people to look forward too. The one thing the past eighteen months has shown me is how dismal putting up with life is when you have absolutely nothing to look forward too.
criss75
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by criss75 »

My two favorite bands of all time - The Who and KISS.
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

wjs296 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:49 pm Townsend has had a much bigger solo career and that setlist really exposes it. I have no issue with him going out and performing The Who material. LEe's face it, that is what most people want to hear. If you look at set lists from The Who, they haven't changed all that much either.
Yes and no. Since 2000, The Who have altered their set lists more than people give them credit for. Yes, they play WGFA, Pinball Wizard, Baba, etc., but they also change it up. I saw three shows on The Who’s 2006-07 Endless Wire Tour, with two shows being back to back. All three shows had changes in the set list. Then-brand-new music mixed with favorites and deep LP cuts. They even played several different new songs each night.
The erroneous claim that The Who play the same set list every year always cracks me up. 😆

P.S. Pete’s guitar playing, which often is different each night, and The Who’s willingness to stretch out some for a little bit of riffing/improv also helps keep each night’s gig fresh.
Tito

Post by Tito »

scottbassist wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:33 pm
wjs296 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:49 pm Townsend has had a much bigger solo career and that setlist really exposes it. I have no issue with him going out and performing The Who material. LEe's face it, that is what most people want to hear. If you look at set lists from The Who, they haven't changed all that much either.
Yes and no. Since 2000, The Who have altered their set lists more than people give them credit for. Yes, they play WGFA, Pinball Wizard, Baba, etc., but they also change it up. I saw three shows on The Who’s 2006-07 Endless Wire Tour, with two shows being back to back. All three shows had changes in the set list. Then-brand-new music mixed with favorites and deep LP cuts. They even played several different new songs each night.
The erroneous claim that The Who play the same set list every year always cracks me up. 😆

P.S. Pete’s guitar playing, which often is different each night, and The Who’s willingness to stretch out some for a little bit of riffing/improv also helps keep each night’s gig fresh.
Last time I saw them they didn't even play "I Can't Explain", "Subsitute" or "My Generation". I doubt many left the concert disappointed with what they did offer. Something to think about, Paul Stanley?
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Well, evidently road crew is more important than artistic quality in the vast majority of cases with the dinosaurs.
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

Tito wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:32 pm

Last time I saw them they didn't even play "I Can't Explain", "Subsitute" or "My Generation". I doubt many left the concert disappointed with what they did offer. Something to think about, Paul Stanley?
Was that the Quadrophenia & More Tour in 2012/13? If so, that was a stunning show. 🙂
Tito

Post by Tito »

scottbassist wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:09 am

Was that the Quadrophenia & More Tour in 2012/13? If so, that was a stunning show. 🙂
No this was as recently as 2019.
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

Tito wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:05 am

Nice! With the orchestra, right? We had tickets for Dallas in 2019 but the band postponed the night before due to illness, and then later COVID hit. I REALLY wanted to see that tour with orchestra.
Tito

Post by Tito »

scottbassist wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:25 pm

Nice! With the orchestra, right? We had tickets for Dallas in 2019 but the band postponed the night before due to illness, and then later COVID hit. I REALLY wanted to see that tour with orchestra.
That's right, it was the first one of those. I wasn't super excited about the idea of the orchestra going in but it turned out to be fantastic, particulaly on the opening Tommy segment.
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

Tito wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:17 pm
scottbassist wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:25 pm

That's right, it was the first one of those. I wasn't super excited about the idea of the orchestra going in but it turned out to be fantastic, particulaly on the opening Tommy segment.
Very cool!