Has Gene used his new Tbird bass on this current leg?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
bassmansteiny
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Has Gene used his new Tbird bass on this current leg?

Post by bassmansteiny »

Just as the title states. Has Gene used either of his new sig Gibson Thindsrbird Bass on this current leg of the tour in 2021? If they end up getting released I would like to get an Epi version of it. Preferably, black with the red binding. Would be a cool addition to the fam!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ace of Bass
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re: Has Gene used his new Tbird bass on this current leg?

Post by Ace of Bass »

I don’t think so. I can’t help but wonder if that deal went south.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Ace of Bass wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:11 pm I don’t think so. I can’t help but wonder if that deal went south.
Sucks there's no immediate way to find out... Or is there?
warmachine731
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by warmachine731 »

…if only there was a way in which we could see clips of recent shows.
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

warmachine731 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:47 pm …if only there was a way in which we could see clips of recent shows.
Well the way you speak of, no I had not seen any videos of the Tbird. If I had, I would not have asked the question. However, I thought that maybe someone who just happened to attend one of the shows might remember. Thank you for your witty contribution to the thread. :roll:
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

bassmansteiny wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:52 pm
warmachine731 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:47 pm …if only there was a way in which we could see clips of recent shows.
Well the way you speak of, no I had not seen any videos of the Tbird. If I had, I would not have asked the question. However, I thought that maybe someone who just happened to attend one of the shows might remember. Thank you for your witty contribution to the thread. :roll:
Thankfully it’s not so serious, right?

Nice collection, by the way. I’m digging those two basses that are to the right of the Axe. Are they Fenders?
johnsaidwhat
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by johnsaidwhat »

bassmansteiny wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:48 pm Just as the title states. Has Gene used either of his new sig Gibson Thindsrbird Bass on this current leg of the tour in 2021? If they end up getting released I would like to get an Epi version of it. Preferably, black with the red binding. Would be a cool addition to the fam!
What's your favorite as far as playability?
I have one if those I'm curious if that's it.
Jotto
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Jotto »

The Thunderbird was probably only a one night deal. Thunderbirds are not Genes style and he makes way more money by selling the signature basses he allready have… me thinks
Dankiss
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Dankiss »

I love your jazz basses!!!
sabresaxon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sabresaxon »

I remember one of Gene’s former techs telling me his signature basses cost around $80 to manufacture and were basically garbage.
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

warmachine731 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 pm

Nice collection, by the way. I’m digging those two basses that are to the right of the Axe. Are they Fenders?
All good 👍. The tobacco sunburst finish Jazz is a Japanese lawsuit era bass, natural blomd finish is a USA standard Jazz, Black one is an early Geddy Lee Japanese Jazz, Epi Thunderbird limited edition and an Fender acoustic bass. More of a Fender guy.
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

johnsaidwhat wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:16 pm
bassmansteiny wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:48 pm Just as the title states. Has Gene used either of his new sig Gibson Thindsrbird Bass on this current leg of the tour in 2021? If they end up getting released I would like to get an Epi version of it. Preferably, black with the red binding. Would be a cool addition to the fam!
The Geddy Lee Jazz bass (black one) or the USA Jazz bass (blomd/natural finish). 👍
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

Dankiss wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:46 am I love your jazz basses!!!
Thank you 🙂
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

Bad For Good! Come on! I have three copies of that album! And the 12" blue vinyl of 'Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through'.

Great taste in guitars and albums there my friend.
wjs296
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by wjs296 »

The are not listed on the Gibson website. Maybe they didn't sell? I know that inventory is an issue with the supply chain. It could be that there is a production issue due to the virus.
drgbootz

Post by drgbootz »

Disappeared, much like the VIP packages for the show he last played one in?
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

bassmansteiny wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:46 am

All good 👍. The tobacco sunburst finish Jazz is a Japanese lawsuit era bass, natural blomd finish is a USA standard Jazz, Black one is an early Geddy Lee Japanese Jazz, Epi Thunderbird limited edition and an Fender acoustic bass. More of a Fender guy.
Love it! I really started to appreciate Fenders more in the last couple of years myself.
johnsaidwhat
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by johnsaidwhat »

bassmansteiny wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:48 am
The Geddy Lee Jazz bass (black one) or the USA Jazz bass (blomd/natural finish). 👍
I knew you were going to say that!
I have that bass and a German Warwick Corvette.
Nothing, nothing I have ever played plays like that Geddy Jazz, it's the only bass where my fingers and my brain actually disassociate and I have to catch myself because it plays so easy my hands just run away.
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

johnsaidwhat wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:56 pm
bassmansteiny wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:48 am
I knew you were going to say that!
I have that bass and a German Warwick Corvette.
Nothing, nothing I have ever played plays like that Geddy Jazz, it's the only bass where my fingers and my brain actually disassociate and I have to catch myself because it plays so easy my hands just run away.
Yup the Gedd is definitely an awesome bass. Very easy to play. My American Standard is super light, so that one is great on the old back. I think it is some kind of Ash Wood.
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

warmachine731 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:51 pm

Love it! I started to appreciate Fenders more in the last couple of years myself.
While a pointy BC Rich looks wicked for metal. A Thunderbird screams Rock and Roll. The Fender, for me, is probably the most comfortable and best-sounding bass. Especially the older I get, haha.
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

BC Witch wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:32 am
Bad For Good! Come on! I have three copies of that album! And the 12" blue vinyl of 'Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through'.

Thank you! I'm a distant relation to Jim Steinman. Not that we ever met, lol.
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

bassmansteiny wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:52 pm

Now I'm even more impressed!
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

BC Witch wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:18 pm
bassmansteiny wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:52 pm

Now I'm even more impressed!
Haha. 👍
Like I said though, never got the chance to meet him.
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

bassmansteiny wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:50 pm

Love it! I started to appreciate Fenders more in the last couple of years myself.
While a pointy BC Rich looks wicked for metal. A Thunderbird screams Rock and Roll. The Fender, for me, is probably the most comfortable and best-sounding bass. Especially the older I get, haha.
Agreed. So I have an Epiphone Tbird bass that I got around 2006 and was my staple bass for a few solid years. I currently have it in a case in a closet and should probably pull it out. I remember always loving the sound but I sort of retired it.

When I was younger I thought that Fenders were lame because it was like the “go to” guitar. Plus being such a KISS fan, it was natural to feel like Gibson was the superior company. But now I truly love Fenders and their sounds. Plus they’re a lot lighter and won’t kill you back.
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

warmachine731 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:32 pm

Agreed. So I have an Epiphone Tbird bass that I got around 2006 and was my staple bass for a few solid years. I currently have it in a case in a closet and should probably pull it out. I remember always loving the sound but I sort of retired it.

When I was younger I thought that Fenders were lame because it was like the “go to” guitar. Plus being such a KISS fan, it was natural to feel like Gibson was the superior company. But now I truly love Fenders and their sounds. Plus they’re a lot lighter and won’t kill you back.
I always found Fender bass guitars, generally, to be heavier than Thunderbirds. A friend has a '75 Precision and it's crazy heavy. Having said that, another friend has a Japanese Precision that's really light and sounds amazing.

I used to own a '78 Grabber that sounded great but it was too big. The body was like a 335 size or something. Thosd Epiphone Tbirds are great.
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

BC Witch wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:11 pm

I always found Fender bass guitars, generally, to be heavier than Thunderbirds. A friend has a '75 Precision and it's crazy heavy. Having said that, another friend has a Japanese Precision that's really light and sounds amazing.

I used to own a '78 Grabber that sounded great but it was too big. The body was like a 335 size or something. Thosd Epiphone Tbirds are great.
Very fair point, actually. The Fender basses do carry some weight. In my mind, I was thinking of the guitar comparisons. Like a Les Paul compared to a Strat or Tele.

It’s been a few years but I was looking into the vintage Grabbers and Rippers. Maybe one day.
savage_dreams

Post by savage_dreams »

some people have lives and dont watch every crappy phone video posted on youtube.
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

warmachine731 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:01 pm

Very fair point, actually. The Fender basses do carry some weight. In my mind, I was thinking of the guitar comparisons. Like a Les Paul compared to a Strat or Tele.

It’s been a few years but I was looking into the vintage Grabbers and Rippers. Maybe one day.
Oh wait, I had a Ripper not a Grabber. I totally lucked out when I bought it too. Got it in the UK in the late 90s when no-one was interested in them and only paid something crazy like £600 for it, including the case. Mint condition. I got a 1991 Tbird for the same price a year or two earlier. It was the height of 'Britpop' and everyone was after old Gretsch and Fender stuff at the time, even Music Man basses were more popular than the Gibsons. As is the way with most Gibson guitars, both were pretty much destroyed when I was touring a lot back then. They break so easily. The headstock came off the Ripper when it got knocked to the ground during a gig and the Tbird actually got a crack all the way through the body from a similar knock. I managed to salvage the Tbird and I still play it but the Ripper didn't make it... I've still got the bridge though!
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

savage_dreams wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:01 pm
some people have lives and dont watch every crappy phone video posted on youtube.
Thanks Chief.
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

BC Witch wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:06 pm
warmachine731 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:01 pm

Oh wait, I had a Ripper not a Grabber. I totally lucked out when I bought it too. Got it in the UK in the late 90s when no-one was interested in them and only paid something crazy like £600 for it, including the case. Mint condition. I got a 1991 Tbird for the same price a year or two earlier. It was the height of 'Britpop' and everyone was after old Gretsch and Fender stuff at the time, even Music Man basses were more popular than the Gibsons. As is the way with most Gibson guitars, both were pretty much destroyed when I was touring a lot back then. They break so easily. The headstock came off the Ripper when it got knocked to the ground during a gig and the Tbird actually got a crack all the way through the body from a similar knock. I managed to salvage the Tbird and I still play it but the Ripper didn't make it... I've still got the bridge though!
What a shame about your Ripper. But at least you got a good amount of usage out of it. Do you have any old pics?
Sam T Serpent

Post by Sam T Serpent »

Looks like Gene is using the T-Bird again. This was in Salt Lake City.
Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 7.15.59 am.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

Sam T Serpent wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:20 pm Looks like Gene is using the T-Bird again. This was in Salt Lake City.
First appearance! Looks great
gothunder
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by gothunder »

Sam T Serpent wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:20 pm Looks like Gene is using the T-Bird again. This was in Salt Lake City.
I was there!!! Great nite indeed. :salut:
wjs296
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by wjs296 »

Yes it does look great!
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

Thanks for the info and picture. Glad to see he is playing it. Love me some Tbird action!
battra

Post by battra »

It's weird...Paul, Ace....the other kids...

They can all use normal looking instruments, but when Gene does, regardless of how he's dressed...it messes with me.

I don't like it.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Doesn't look right to me either.
ACE FAN LI
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by ACE FAN LI »

It’s a great-looking bass, but I agree that it doesn’t look right on Gene. And it’s the antithesis of everything he supposedly wants in a bass. But then again, Gene would likely drag a 2x4 strung up with dental floss out on stage, if the price was right…
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

Cool to see the Tbird on this leg. I wish Gene would have this costume slimmed down considerably though.
Soylent Gene

Post by Soylent Gene »

Doesn’t look right. Looks too big on him.
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

I love Tbirds. I do wish they'd made this current version more like the customized one he used in the 70s.

This current version is the only Tbird I know of to have 'Gibson' actually on the headstock rather than just on the truss rod cover.