Aerosmith show KISS how it's done...

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
That 70s Guy
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Aerosmith show KISS how it's done...

Post by That 70s Guy »

I'm ready for new Aero music!!
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

When you think of it,it's really amazing that the company doesn't do it up good for Kiss. So disappointing. There are even a ton of underground bands that put out so much great stuff...it's a shame Kiss doesn't.
dicksteel
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by dicksteel »

Universal prolly did some forensic accounting and realized KISS has sold about 700,000 albums since 1974. 90% where Alive and Destroyer.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

dicksteel wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:37 pm Universal prolly did some forensic accounting and realized KISS has sold about 700,000 albums since 1974. 90% where Alive and Destroyer.
As ridiculous as that sounds,the figure of them selling 100 million is just as ridiculous,if not more.
B5Erik
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

caligari wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:36 pm
joma5477 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:25 pm
sicksickphil wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:21 pm
southernkiss wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:59 pm

Who owns Sonic Boom?
Kiss
Isn't it Walmart? It wasn't left out of the Kissteria boxset because KISS didn't allow it...
Walmart
Which is really odd, since WalMart isn't going to do a damned thing with it ever again.

I wonder if there's a clause in the contract (many entertainment contracts have clauses like this) where if they do nothing with the property for a certain length of time the rights revert back to the band.

They don't stock it in any of their stores anymore, and they don't have a streaming service, so they're not marketing the album or making it available at all. I just wonder if that violates the contract in some way...
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

B5Erik wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:29 pm

Kiss
Isn't it Walmart? It wasn't left out of the Kissteria boxset because KISS didn't allow it...
Walmart
Which is really odd, since WalMart isn't going to do a damned thing with it ever again.

I wonder if there's a clause in the contract (many entertainment contracts have clauses like this) where if they do nothing with the property for a certain length of time the rights revert back to the band.

They don't stock it in any of their stores anymore, and they don't have a streaming service, so they're not marketing the album or making it available at all. I just wonder if that violates the contract in some way...
Is Sonic Boom really an album in the discography that needs new things done with it compared to SO many other albums first.

It wasn't a high point for KISS and I assume we all bought it when it came out. It doesn't need a deluxe edition, etc.
Australia1980

Post by Australia1980 »

Forevertj wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:22 pm The big difference is that Arrowsmith SUCKS and KISS doesn't.
For the love of GOD, Aerosmith doesnt "suck"

Not the 70's albums anyway. SO much great stuff!

FFS
Pete2174
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Pete2174 »

Australia1980 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:42 pm
Forevertj wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:22 pm The big difference is that Arrowsmith SUCKS and KISS doesn't.

FFS
Recent Aerosmith sucks big time. Just Push Play & Music From Another Dimension & the blues album are horrendous. Their 70's output on the other hand, now that is magnificent. Tyler is a douche in any decade.
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

FFS
Everything Aerosmith did up till 93/94 was great. I never thought they started slipping musically until Nine Lives came out but looking back, even that has some good songs on it, but it was straight downhill after that
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

B5Erik wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:29 pm

Kiss
Walmart

I don't think Walmart "owns" it, they just have exclusive licensing rights. The same with AC/DC "Black Ice". No way a band in KISS' position is going to sign away ownership and masters of their music to someone at that point in their career
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

It's always interesting to see people here say that the greatest bands in rock and roll history suck - The Beatles, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones among others, but KISS of all bands is TRUE musical greatness and in some cases depending on the member here, the 80's era is peak KISS.
lespaul

Post by lespaul »

why are they on universal in the first place ??
KlassicKISS54
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KlassicKISS54 »

Glad to see Aerosmith made a smart business move to lock down capital for their golden years. Given the health issues both Joe Perry and Steven Tyler suffer from, I don't think its realistic to expect to see the band in full form anytime soon, if ever again. I think they profile allot like Van Halen in their final years. Obviously Eddie was in a huge fight for his life that few knew about. But both Perry and Tyler seem to be reaching some health plateaus that certainly question the wisdom in trying to go out and tackle a nationwide tour. And while an album might seem more obtainable, the label might be less interested in financing it, if the band is limited on their ability to promote it.
SalAce
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by SalAce »

KlassicKISS54 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:55 am Glad to see Aerosmith made a smart business move to lock down capital for their golden years. Given the health issues both Joe Perry and Steven Tyler suffer from, I don't think its realistic to expect to see the band in full form anytime soon, if ever again. I think they profile allot like Van Halen in their final years. Obviously Eddie was in a huge fight for his life that few knew about. But both Perry and Tyler seem to be reaching some health plateaus that certainly question the wisdom in trying to go out and tackle a nationwide tour. And while an album might seem more obtainable, the label might be less interested in financing it, if the band is limited on their ability to promote it.
True. Also, Kramer and Hamilton have both had health issues. Both Perry and Whitford have both made recent comments implying they're pretty much done. Whatever is planned here will probably be their last hurrah. Sadly.
Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:15 am It's always interesting to see people here say that the greatest bands in rock and roll history suck - The Beatles, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones among others, but KISS of all bands is TRUE musical greatness and in some cases depending on the member here, the 80's era is peak KISS.
I hardly ever see anyone putting Aerosmith in the same category as The Beatles and Rolling Stones. If someone is putting Aersomith in this list, might as well include KISS.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Ratmir wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:31 am
Grand Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:15 am It's always interesting to see people here say that the greatest bands in rock and roll history suck - The Beatles, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones among others, but KISS of all bands is TRUE musical greatness and in some cases depending on the member here, the 80's era is peak KISS.
I hardly ever see anyone putting Aerosmith in the same category as The Beatles and Rolling Stones. If someone is putting Aersomith in this list, might as well include KISS.
Aerosmith are typically viewed as being the greatest American hard rock band and one of the best American rock bands overall. They always FAR outrank KISS in terms of importance.
Tito

Post by Tito »

I'm not sure I understand, they're showing KISS how what's done, exactly?
Julien
Whee Wan

Post by Julien »

destroyerrnro wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:47 pm I can't speak for a certain Podcaster, whom I believe may have coined the phrase "big thing" but I wouldn't have been so bold with that term. The first part was already announced when the band/UM announced the Off The Soundboard series. The second part of the "big thing" is coming this year. Suffice it to say that Aerosmith aren't the only ones with "big" plans moving forward with UM. With any release things can happen to slow/change projected release dates but I am comfortable today we will see something before the year is out, which is only about four months.

Also, please don't take my opinion as an attack on that particular podcaster, it's not meant that way. Folks get excited and express that excitement in differing ways.
I'd rather an excited bold podcaster than a miserable peanut gallery. Fingers crossed...
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

lespaul wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:41 am why are they on universal in the first place ??
They meaning KISS? Because Universal bought PolyGram, which bought Casablanca.
ypke

Post by ypke »

Pete2174 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:03 am

FFS
Recent Aerosmith sucks big time. Just Push Play & Music From Another Dimension & the blues album are horrendous. Their 70's output on the other hand, now that is magnificent. Tyler is a douche in any decade.
I kinda dig the blues album, but you are right. I bought Just Push Play without having heard anything, just assuming that I liked previous albums so much that this one would be at least good... save for 2 songs I was very let down. For me the first with a band that loved so much (mostly the run from permanent vacation up untill nine lives).
But Aerosmith as a whole certainly doesn't suck.
Arrogant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Arrogant »

ZachAttack wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:57 pm Yeah this is basically the same thing KISS already did. Universal bought everything from Casablanca and Mercury/Polygram at the same time.
The massive difference being Aerosmith, like Metallica, will own the rights and then license it back for distribution purposes.
It also allows for in-house projects and creative control.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

The Beatles......the Rolling Stones..........................................and Aerosmith.

Comedy Classic.
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

Bender wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:56 pm
BC Witch wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:37 pm From what I understand, the difference between Aerosmith's and KISS's deals with Universal is that KISS's catalogue got bought by Universal when the label bought the entire Casablanca/Polygram catalogue some years ago and the deal they've just done with Aerosmith is directly with the band. Very different things.

In the 80s Aeromith's former manager Tim Collins managed to get CBS/Sony to give Aerosmith the rights to their catalog back after a set period of time, which seems is just kicking in now, hence this Universal deal.
And it's all about owning your music...and it's a shame that shit in 80's forced them (KISS) to sell all of it off. And if that is true about Tim Collins they should buy him his own island...what a story...down and out in 82 and back on top in 87....
According to his story in the Aerosmith biog he basically said to CBS in 1984 'look, the band are all drug addicts, their career will be over in a year or two so can you take pity on them and give them the rights to the back catalog so they at least have something for their old age? If they live that long...'

A genius move and kind of shocking that CBS fell for it.
kissalive90
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kissalive90 »

ypke wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:55 am

FFS
I kinda dig the blues album, but you are right. I bought Just Push Play without having heard anything, just assuming that I liked previous albums so much that this one would be at least good... save for 2 songs I was very let down. For me the first with a band that loved so much (mostly the run from permanent vacation up untill nine lives).
This is exactly how I felt when I bought "Just Push Play". What a let down. After Beyond Beautiful, total shit. I think "Jaded" is the worst single they've ever released. Even worse than the over played "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing". Debut album through Nine Lives holds up very well for me.

Hoping that whatever is coming later this year for KISS will be cool. I'm certainly not expecting anything on the level of what Metallica are doing with their deluxe issues.
pepperkitty
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by pepperkitty »

I own Rocks, Toys, and Live Bootleg on 8-track, so I’m good.
They lost me after pump but many folks still seem to dig them so that’s a rite on.
KissRMe4life
Banned
Banned

Post by KissRMe4life »

Walmart probably only agree to the deal if it was super long term, Walmart ain’t stupid, they knew that KISS popularity isn’t astronomical compared to bands like the eagles… kiss just happens to sell more crappy merch.
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

kissalive90 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:22 am

FFS
This is exactly how I felt when I bought "Just Push Play". What a let down. After Beyond Beautiful, total shit. I think "Jaded" is the worst single they've ever released. Even worse than the over played "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing". Debut album through Nine Lives holds up very well for me.

Hoping that whatever is coming later this year for KISS will be cool. I'm certainly not expecting anything on the level of what Metallica are doing with their deluxe issues.

I felt like that with Nine Lives too. The title track was amazing, then the rest of the album was kinda boring. I like it more now though. Same thing with Just Push Play. Great opening track, then the rest of the album is the most boring, generic, radio friendly garbage I've ever heard
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

pepperkitty wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:45 am I own Rocks, Toys, and Live Bootleg on 8-track, so I’m good.
They lost me after pump but many folks still seem to dig them so that’s a rite on.
I hear this criticism of Aerosmith all the time and it makes no sense. In terms of albums, Pump is almost the end of their career. I hear people say "Aerosmith sucks, everything after Pump was terrible". It's like saying you hate KISS because everything after Revenge sucked. People judge a band with like 20 albums based on the last couple of shitty albums they made.
caligari

Post by caligari »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:35 am
Aerosmith are typically viewed as being the greatest American hard rock band and one of the best American rock bands overall. They always FAR outrank KISS in terms of importance.
This is a true statement.
And has been said by musical press and fans alike.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:03 am
The Beatles......the Rolling Stones..........................................and Aerosmith..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................and KISS.

Yep.
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

ZachAttack wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:48 am
kissalive90 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:22 am

I felt like that with Nine Lives too. The title track was amazing, then the rest of the album was kinda boring. I like it more now though. Same thing with Just Push Play. Great opening track, then the rest of the album is the most boring, generic, radio friendly garbage I've ever heard
Wish I could like this post. Sums up how I feel about them. Everything up to Get a Grip has its merits and high points, after that very hit and miss. More miss for me.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

caligari wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:54 am
Grand Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:35 am
This is a true statement.
And has been said by musical press and fans alike.
Absolutely. It is amazing that anyone would debate this - even if you don't like Aerosmith. I am not much of a fan at all, especially compared to KISS - but I can be objective unlike many here.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Comedy Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:58 am Absolutely. It is amazing that anyone would debate this - even if you don't like Aerosmith. I am not much of a fan at all, especially compared to KISS - but I can be objective unlike many here.
Ranking Aerosmith alongside The Beatles and The Stones is not being objective. :lol:
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:01 pm
Comedy Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:58 am Absolutely. It is amazing that anyone would debate this - even if you don't like Aerosmith. I am not much of a fan at all, especially compared to KISS - but I can be objective unlike many here.
Ranking Aerosmith alongside The Beatles and The Stones is not being objective. :lol:
I didn't.

I mentioned Aerosmith as being AMONG the greatest rock bands of all time that people here think are shit. KISS is not among this list outside of the KISS fan bubble. You should really just stop talking.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:18 pm
I didn't.

I mentioned Aerosmith as being AMONG the greatest rock bands of all time that people here think are shit. KISS is not among this list outside of the KISS fan bubble. You should really just stop talking.
Grand Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:15 am It's always interesting to see people here say that the greatest bands in rock and roll history suck - The Beatles, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones among others
You should write better, in that case.
pepperkitty
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by pepperkitty »

ZachAttack wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:53 am
pepperkitty wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:45 am I own Rocks, Toys, and Live Bootleg on 8-track, so I’m good.
I hear this criticism of Aerosmith all the time and it makes no sense. In terms of albums, Pump is almost the end of their career. I hear people say "Aerosmith sucks, everything after Pump was terrible". It's like saying you hate KISS because everything after Revenge sucked. People judge a band with like 20 albums based on the last couple of shitty albums they made.
I’m not criticizing them or anyone who still digs them. Those are 3 lps or 8-tracks i dig. I don’t like their newer stuff so I don’t own it.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:23 pm
I didn't.

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:15 am It's always interesting to see people here say that the greatest bands in rock and roll history suck - The Beatles, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones among others
Yes, bands that are AMONG the greatest rock bands of all time of which all of those apply. It wasn't a direct ranking. You should learn how to fucking read. Stop talking!
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:35 pm

I didn't.

Yes, bands that are AMONG the greatest rock bands of all time of which all of those apply. It wasn't a direct ranking. You should learn how to fucking read. Stop talking!
Beatles, Zep, Stones, Aerosmith. One of these is not like the others. Express yourself clearly in future.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:39 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:35 pm

I didn't.

Beatles, Zep, Stones, Aerosmith. One of these is not like the others. Express yourself clearly in future.
FoveverTJ said Aerosmith sucks in this thread.

I then made a post mentioning all the greatest rock bands of all time that get mentioned on this site as sucking, but KISS is somehow above all of these ACTUAL greatest rock bands of all time, which does include Aerosmith.

You make it so easy for me to constantly hand you your ass and yet you never learn.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

The big thing will be small.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

I didn't.

I would put Aerosmith and KISS both firmly in the Top 20 American rock bands. Aerosmith was terrific in the 70's and even their second coming in the 80's had some high points. If someone says Aerosmith sucks, it's no different than those who say the NY Yankees suck. Everyone knows where these organizations fall among the greats.

Maybe it's because I follow KISS more closely, but I don't often see other bands cite Aerosmith as a big influence or somebody they are into bigtime aside from an occasional guy like Tom Keifer from Cinderella with his scarves on the mike stand ala Tyler. With KISS it's wide ranging from Norwegian black metal bands to country to alternative bands. It's undeniable.

I would imagine most peers might prefer to write the next Walk This Way or Dream On over a KISS song, but those same peers I bet would prefer to be KISS on stage. Both among the great American rock bands of all-time.

I think you place KISS too far down in the pecking order. Try to be more objective.
mainline

Post by mainline »

If I remember correctly,Paul Stanley recently said that he does not like releasing demos.
That would be my guess as to why the KISS Catalog is not going to
be rereleased with demos,takes and alternate mixes.
Last edited by mainline on Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

CStomp1 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:52 pm
I didn't.

I would put Aerosmith and KISS both firmly in the Top 20 American rock bands. Aerosmith was terrific in the 70's and even their second coming in the 80's had some high points. If someone says Aerosmith sucks, it's no different than those who say the NY Yankees suck. Everyone knows where these organizations fall among the greats.

Maybe it's because I follow KISS more closely, but I don't often see other bands cite Aerosmith as a big influence or somebody they are into bigtime aside from an occasional guy like Tom Keifer from Cinderella with his scarves on the mike stand ala Tyler. With KISS it's wide ranging from Norwegian black metal bands to country to alternative bands. It's undeniable.

I would imagine most peers might prefer to write the next Walk This Way or Dream On over a KISS song, but those same peers I bet would prefer to be KISS on stage. Both among the great American rock bands of all-time.

I think you place KISS too far down in the pecking order. Try to be more objective.
It has nothing to do where I place KISS. It is where they are vs. Aerosmith when it comes to the world. TONS of bands copied Aerosmith in the 80's, including Guns N' Roses. You don't know what you are talking about when it comes to influence. Half of the hair metal bands were ripping off Aerosmith.

KISS are always more far down the list of ANY ranking than Aerosmith and they are just a far more important band. People know Aerosmith songs. People going to see KISS now barely do.

KISS legacy is primarily the show and makeup. Certainly not the music. That is objective and real as it gets for a KISS fan.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

KISS at 25. Aerosmith at 5.

It's like this across the board when it comes to greatest band rankings. What you prefer is irrelevant and that goes for me too, since I do prefer KISS.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/top-50-american-bands/
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who (maybe)

....everyone else.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:09 pm KISS at 25. Aerosmith at 5.

It's like this across the board when it comes to greatest band rankings. What you prefer is irrelevant and that goes for me too, since I do prefer KISS.

Louder's list of the Top 50 rock bands has Aerosmith 17 and KISS 16. It's not "like this across the board." This just so happened to be the first list I stumbled on. Louder is associated with Classic Rock Magazine.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/th ... all-time/4 This will take you directly to the page where they list the bands back to back.

Whether you're 5th, 25th, 17th or 16th, does it really matter?
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

CStomp1 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:31 pm

Louder's list of the Top 50 rock bands has Aerosmith 17 and KISS 16. It's not "like this across the board." This just so happened to be the first list I stumbled on. Louder is associated with Classic Rock Magazine.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/th ... all-time/4 This will take you directly to the page where they list the bands back to back.

Touche on that one, but it is a unicorn over the overall view of Aerosmith vs. KISS.

Obviously it matters, especially on a KISS forum, because people here have been complaining for years that KISS doesn't get the same respect as Aerosmith, AC/DC, Van Halen and others bands that are generally viewed to be far better than KISS by the rock fans and music media.

KISS legacy is primarily the show and makeup. Certainly not the music. That is as objective and real as it gets for a KISS fan.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

CStomp1 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:31 pm Whether you're 5th, 25th, 17th or 16th, does it really matter?
Only if the list fits your agenda :lol:

After the big three, it's all just churn.

You also have to look outside of the "greatest American bands" tag, because the REALLY big bastards have pretty much all been British, with only a handful of exceptions.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:40 pm

Touche on that one, but it is a unicorn over the overall view of Aerosmith vs. KISS.

Obviously it matters, especially on a KISS forum, because people here have been complaining for years that KISS doesn't get the same respect as Aerosmith, AC/DC, Van Halen and others bands that are generally viewed to be far better than KISS by the rock fans and music media.
CStomp1 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:31 pm You're right. It's a KISS board - people are going to be defensive. I still don't completely agree about attitudes of rock fans and even the music media these days. Whether by attrition, longevity, or hook or crook, I think KISS is viewed pretty favorably with those other bands you listed. Back in the heydays of each of these bands, you would be correct. Today, wouldn't you say even typical rock critics have softened their stance greatly on KISS? I've seen many more positive reviews in recent years.
KISS legacy is primarily the show and makeup. Certainly not the music. That is as objective and real as it gets for a KISS fan.
CStomp1 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:31 pm GC reduced to copy and paste boilerplate quotes. Come on, I expect more from you.
I_Gotta_Getaway
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by I_Gotta_Getaway »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:40 pm

So the live show doesn't matter when comparing bands?
I've seen both Kiss and Aerosmith live. Love both bands. Every time, Kiss' live show was just much better than Aerosmith whether I consider original Kiss or the EOTR Kiss. I reckon both should be near the top of any US band rankings. Both are also highly influential. 70's Kiss probably had more of an impact on pop culture than Aerosmith, IMHO. Kiss was also more of a global phenom in their heyday in the 70's and again in the 90's.