Am I The Only One Who Missed Out On The Reunion Tour?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Man of a Thousand Aces
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Am I The Only One Who Missed Out On The Reunion Tour?

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

Saw them the first time in 1979, and all through the eighties. Revenge I think was the first tour I missed, and then the Reunion Tour happened and my situation at that time did not allow for me to attend. I came painfully close to scoring two tickets in a look-alike contest, but missed out on that. I was in attendance for the Psycho Circus and Farewell Tours, but I really, really hate that I missed the magic of the Reunion Tour, especially since I had also missed out on seeing them in the Love Gun outfits(my favorite) in '77-78.

I'm ashamed as a KISS fan since late 1976-77 that I missed out on one of the biggest moments in KISSTORY, and I often feel like I'm the only KISS fan on the planet who wasn't there.
gene therapist

Re: Am I The Only One Who Missed Out On The Reunion Tour?

Post by gene therapist »

If it's any consolation to you, I would happily trade my Reunion show for that show in 1979! (If we forget for a moment that I was three at the time).
KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by KISSFACE »

You should feel worse for missing Revenge 😄

As to the Reunion — the magic of seeing them appear that way again, like stepping back in time, wore off pretty fast the more they played.
Man of a Thousand Aces

KISSFACE wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:43 pm You should feel worse for missing Revenge 😄

As to the Reunion — the magic of seeing them appear that way again, like stepping back in time, wore off pretty fast the more they played.
That's a totally fair point. I've seen enough shows from that era on Youtube. That's kind of the trade off. The outfits aside, they just didn't sound like KISS, if that makes any sense.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Yeah - I think I would trade every time I've seen Kiss just to have seen them once in the '70s.
L1
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by L1 »

The reunion really was magical and I’m so happy I was a young teenager at the time who got the chance to experience the real deal.

However, Man of a Thousand Aces, you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. You obviously didn’t get a fair chance due to life stuff. Plus, you did catch the original four pre-reunion and during the reunion run, so you’ll always have that
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Man of a Thousand Aces wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:36 pm Saw them the first time in 1979, and all through the eighties. Revenge I think was the first tour I missed, and then the Reunion Tour happened and my situation at that time did not allow for me to attend. I came painfully close to scoring two tickets in a look-alike contest, but missed out on that. I was in attendance for the Psycho Circus and Farewell Tours, but I really, really hate that I missed the magic of the Reunion Tour, especially since I had also missed out on seeing them in the Love Gun outfits(my favorite) in '77-78.

I'm ashamed as a KISS fan since late 1976-77 that I missed out on one of the biggest moments in KISSTORY, and I often feel like I'm the only KISS fan on the planet who wasn't there.
If they'd used the Love Gun stage I'd be ashamed but they didn't so.....
Rockandrolloverman

Post by Rockandrolloverman »

The reunion was incredible to see live. Don’t let the naysayers diminish the power and appeal of that amazingly successful and impactful era

KISS were on top in 96-97 and the world were at their feet
Brewer
Banned
Banned

Post by Brewer »

Correct.
67Kiss
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by 67Kiss »

I'm an old school fan (first show in 1976) and I loved the reunion tour. I was able see a number of shows but I was single and in a flexible work situation at the time. If it would have been five years later I had a family and different job and wouldn't been able to take off easily. Real life happens and it's more important than entrainment, no reason for any shame!
cason96
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by cason96 »

No. I missed it because I was born the year it started.
Rockandrolloverman

The tour was getting so much mainstream media coverage, they were everywhere and were extremely popular. Kiss were on the on the cover of every type of magazine from Forbes magazine to entertainment weekly.

Kiss was ruling the rock world in 96-97, even more so than they were in 77-78
TT714
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by TT714 »

Don't feel bad. I wasn't even born.
Starbandit74
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Starbandit74 »

I saw them on the Lost Cities Tour.

I count that as part of the Reunion tour, but others may not.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

Starbandit74 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:30 pm I saw them on the Lost Cities Tour.

I count that as part of the Reunion tour, but others may not.
It was an extension of the Reunion Tour.
Brewer
Banned
Banned

Post by Brewer »

It’s the same friggin tour. Everyone knows that. The shows added to TEOTR after it started aren’t a different tour to TEOTR are they?
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

Man of a Thousand Aces wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:57 pm
KISSFACE wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:43 pm You should feel worse for missing Revenge 😄

That's a totally fair point. I've seen enough shows from that era on Youtube. That's kind of the trade off. The outfits aside, they just didn't sound like KISS, if that makes any sense.
They did have moments where they sounded like KISS
Man of a Thousand Aces

sugardaddy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:34 pm

They did have moments where they sounded like KISS
No doubt, but just "moments" in an entire tour? Made it kind of a crapshoot as to what you were going to get.
69th_B1izard

Post by 69th_B1izard »

Don’t be ashamed, ‘79 was much better than ‘96!
Destroyer72

Post by Destroyer72 »

My kids were just born. So I was too busy being a new dad. Wish I would've gone though, now.
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by woodworm001 »

As I only discovered KISS in 1988 I missed the original band so I was torn at the time because Bruce / Eric(s) were the band I'd loved before I'd discovered the originals. At that time for me there was mythical feeling around the originals, especially watching eXposed ... Unfortunately by the time they toured the UK Ace had obviously gotten bored with it and it was a little bit lacklustre, especially after seeing them in 92 this was a big drop in quality.

In short, you didn't miss out if you saw them in the 70's - I think 'missed out' is better than 'disappointed'. Maybe they were great at other shows, but not at any of the three I saw them at (Wembley, Donnington & Finsbury Park).

I know that sounds negative which I shouldn't because I did enjoy those shows, but 1992 and 2019 were so much better even without the excitement of the original band.
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Tallbear13 »

Only the Psycho circus tour missed it because none really were close excepy kentucky and west virginia
And sales wise it bombed
Farewell card is what they had left and it did well the first half and the last 2 shows Charlotte was down from April and Charleston was a smaller crowd but its a smaller place anyway
Doose

Post by Doose »

What made the Reunion Tour so special was it was all of the old fans who came out to see them, and the energy in the arenas was wild - everyone was on their feet from start to finish, and everyone knew every word to every song. The anticipation was so strong, it just exploded each night. THAT is what made the Reunion Tour so special.

Today is the "Broadway Show" version of KISS which is still pretty damn good, but definitely not the same feeling or vibe as the Reunion Tour.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

I actually feelgood or happy I missed "Revenge", but was in Japan & wasn't flying back to see KISS, etc. (nor at the time could've easily afford to of). And even if I wasn't in Japan or was simply back in the US...

P&G were boycotted until further notice & a notice from myself. Enough was enough.

Reunion or beat it! 🤨
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

Tallbear13 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:14 am Only the Psycho circus tour missed it because none really were close excepy kentucky and west virginia
And sales wise it bombed
Farewell card is what they had left and it did well the first half and the last 2 shows Charlotte was down from April and Charleston was a smaller crowd but its a smaller place anyway
I was at the second Farewell Charlotte show. I think they had the upper level blocked off. They might not have expected to sell as many tickets to that show as the first one. Anyway, I thought it was a great show!
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Tallbear13 »

southernkiss wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:04 pm
Tallbear13 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:14 am Only the Psycho circus tour missed it because none really were close excepy kentucky and west virginia
And sales wise it bombed
I was at the second Farewell Charlotte show. I think they had the upper level blocked off. They might not have expected to sell as many tickets to that show as the first one. Anyway, I thought it was a great show!
Yeah it was good but the reunion north carolina shows were way better
Red_Walrus
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Red_Walrus »

:( nope
Rockandrolloverman

The Psycho Circus tour had really impressive and effective 3-D effects. I was amazed at how effective it was. Paul’s guitar headstock would be right IN your face 8)

They are said to have things “going off under your seats and overhead” (I assume the original intensity was to have under the seat effects, like some movie theaters have), but at the shows, I don’t think that effect ever happened

But the Psycko shows were decent saleswise, at least the two or three I attended were. But not the immense successs the reunion tour was
johnsaidwhat
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by johnsaidwhat »

Unfortunately accurate, it was the actual members of KISS, acting like they were KISS.
Peacebrother
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Peacebrother »

Nope I missed out too. Busy doing my own thing in my own band. That's where my time and money were going. I saw the originals for the first time on the Psycho Circus tour and again on the Farewell Tour.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

And sales wise it bombed
The PC tour was horribly timed - way to soon on the heels of the AWW tour. There wasn’t enough demand yet. Plus the whole PC theme was crap and the album was a shame. The tour deserved to tank. But to say all Kiss had left was a Farewell Tour is ridiculous. The Originals could have toured every 3-5 years and had massive, successful tours - to this day - all without relying on co-headlining tours, opening for Aerosmith & pulling a pathetic 2nd Farewell card.

In addition it would have saved Paul’s voice.
So Cruel
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by So Cruel »

I was a young kid in the late 70’s and loved Kiss, but my mom said I was to young for my older brother to take me to the 1979 show.

In 1996 I was 22 years old. I went with a buddy of mine who’s family had hockey season tickets so we had awesome seats. My brothers, their friends, my cousins, etc...were all at the show after skipping out on the non-makeup era. I can’t really describe the buzz before showtime. It was inescapable. You can talk all day long about how well they played or didn’t play, but the feeling in that arena when the lights went down I’d never feel again for a Kiss concert. Goosebumps just thinking of it.

About a 1/4 of the way into the show while my buddy went to get us beers 2 very good looking girls came down to our seats. One of them stood in front of me and started grinding me while the other waited for my buddy. Any other show I would have been all over her, but this was Ace, Peter, Gene, and Paul. I had been waiting for this show since I was 6 years old in 1979. I let the girls know they couldn’t stay. My buddy saw them leaving our seats as he came back with beer. He wasn’t to happy with me. I told him later any other show, but not the Kiss Reunion.
missingdiver

Post by missingdiver »

I was broke at the time and I donated plasma to buy my ticket...glad I did it. I’ve missed other great shows from other bands cause I couldn’t afford it, but with KISS i always found a way.

At least you saw Dynasty!!!!!!
69th_B1izard

Post by 69th_B1izard »

jkiss wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:30 am

I actually feelgood or happy I missed "Revenge", but was in Japan & wasn't flying back to see KISS, etc. (nor at the time could've easily afford to of). And even if I wasn't in Japan or was simply back in the US...

P&G were boycotted until further notice & a notice from myself. Enough was enough.

Reunion or beat it! 🤨
I must say that the SF club show which was before the Revenge tour was one of best KISS live experiences that I’ve ever had.
peopleselbow
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by peopleselbow »

I liked the Psycho Circus show better than the Reunion show.
peopleselbow
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by peopleselbow »

Doose wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:25 am What made the Reunion Tour so special was it was all of the old fans who came out to see them, and the energy in the arenas was wild - everyone was on their feet from start to finish, and everyone knew every word to every song. The anticipation was so strong, it just exploded each night. THAT is what made the Reunion Tour so special.

Today is the "Broadway Show" version of KISS which is still pretty damn good, but definitely not the same feeling or vibe as the Reunion Tour.
A lot of douche bags who said KISS sucked a few years earlier or thought they broke up years ago also showed up.
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

Imagine yourself watching with your mouth wide open for a whole show.
That was the Reunion Tour shows for me.
😲
tazchris
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by tazchris »

I was lucky enough to catch the Reunion, but I missed HITS, and Revenge. Those tours never came anywhere close to us, and I really feel I missed out not seeing those two tours.
So Cruel
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by So Cruel »

tazchris wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:56 pm I was lucky enough to catch the Reunion, but I missed HITS, and Revenge. Those tours never came anywhere close to us, and I really feel I missed out not seeing those two tours.
I saw Revenge. Walked up with a buddy 15 minutes before showtime and bought row 5 floor for $20 a piece from scalpers. It was a good show but to see 4000 people in a 15,000 seat arena was a downer.
tazchris
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by tazchris »

The attendance was a downer, but that was my favorite lineup. That show would have been amazing despites the size of the crowd.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

69th_B1izard wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:53 pm
jkiss wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:30 am

Reunion or beat it! 🤨
I must say that the SF club show which was before the Revenge tour was one of best KISS live experiences that I’ve ever had.
I was there too thanks to my buddy Tony so close I couldve tied Paul's shoelaces together.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

I feel for you, brother. The reunion tour was - overused word, but I think it's correct here - magic.
If you listen to bootlegs now, you realize that Peter's drumming was all over the place, and the concert kind of lagged in a few places, but still - magic.
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

I saw 6 shows on the Reunion tour but I'd happily swap any of the latter shows for a single show in 1976/1977. To see them at their peak in the flesh and not on a TV screen would be amazing. I'm grateful for the shows I have seen but I'd loved to has been there first time around.
Brewer
Banned
Banned

Post by Brewer »

jannep17 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:02 am If you listen to bootlegs now, you realize that Peter's drumming was all over the place,
It really wasn’t.
Mr. Speed
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Mr. Speed »

KISSFACE wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:43 pm As to the Reunion — the magic of seeing them appear that way again, like stepping back in time, wore off pretty fast the more they played.
That's actually a good point. When I first saw them in December 1996 in a relatively small indoor venue (in fact the smallest they played during the entire reunion tour), it was super-exciting. I then went to see them again at an open air less than six months later, and found that show to be somewhat dull.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Brewer wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:25 am
jannep17 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:02 am If you listen to bootlegs now, you realize that Peter's drumming was all over the place,
It really wasn’t.
Well, I didn't go to every concert, but if you listen to the Stockholm bootleg from December 6th, 1996, for instance, you realize that it's amateur hour from time to time.
Brewer
Banned
Banned

Post by Brewer »

Sounds ok to me. What are you referring to?

jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Listen to the beginning of I Stole Your Love, for example, or indeed the whole of New York Groove.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

jannep17 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:47 am
It really wasn’t.
Well, I didn't go to every concert, but if you listen to the Stockholm bootleg from December 6th, 1996, for instance, you realize that it's amateur hour from time to time.
Thats one of the best boots from the tour
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:01 am
jannep17 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:47 am
It really wasn’t.
Thats one of the best boots from the tour
Yeah, good boot overall, the audience was pumped.