Rockin in the USA

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
DaveinSpain
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Rockin in the USA

Post by DaveinSpain »

I'm 44. I discovered Kiss at like 6 years old because I had an older cousin & of course the makeup and all that anyway whatever. My favourite era is the originals but too each his own. I lived in the USA 38 years. Served 3 years in the Army and I'm a proud American. Anyway I married a lovely Spanish women & I've lived in Madrid,Spain the last 5 or so years.
So I'm having a few beers tonight watching some baseball & listening to a random playlist of bands & random styles,I'm a big hardcore punk guy but whatever & Rockin in the USA just came on. Yeah it's not the best Kiss song,but in this moment at this time (I've been a bit homesick lately) goddamn did this song kick my ass. Totally made me rock out alone in my living room & filled me with joy. Even a few tears...maybe a bit more then a few. But man it filled me with emotions.
We all have our opinions about Kiss & who they are today & what is the best this or the best that. Let me tell ya at 11:15pm Spain time Rockin in the USA is the best damn song I've heard in a good long while.....1 more beer and a different band or song I may feel different,but this is why I love Kiss. I've been homesick & a little down lately and BAMM Kiss hits me!!!! Sure it ain't the best song,but it was the perfect song in the perfect moment.
I love the era I love. You love what you love,but goddamn it Kiss kicks some ass end of story. Have a good Sunday folks.
AceyAintInCharge
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: Rockin in the USA

Post by AceyAintInCharge »

I have always loved this song. One of my faves in the catalog. I have never understood the disdain for this song. It's always felt like I hear it with a different set if ears than the rest of the world.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

One of my favorite tracks by Gene from the 70’s. Kinda based on the Feel You Love Tonight riff - which is a much used, basic blues riff. Such great vocals and background vocals on this one. Love the call and refrain Gene & paul are doing. Kinda sounds like Peter might be on BV As well. And just tasty, TASTY lead guitar by Bob. As great as a technician as Bruce is - he could never come up with a simple, powerful solo like this.

I love the hanging E note Gene lays out at the beginning of the verses. I never really noticed it until I heard the alternate version.
gene therapist
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by gene therapist »

It's kind of a goofy song but in an endearing way and I won't skip it when it comes up.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:58 pm One of my favorite tracks by Gene from the 70’s. Kinda based on the Feel You Love Tonight riff - which is a much used, basic blues riff. Such great vocals and background vocals on this one. Love the call and refrain Gene & paul are doing. Kinda sounds like Peter might be on BV As well. And just tasty, TASTY lead guitar by Bob. As great as a technician as Bruce is - he could never come up with a simple, powerful solo like this.

I love the hanging E note Gene lays out at the beginning of the verses. I never really noticed it until I heard the alternate version.
Great song.
Mahatma
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Mahatma »

Have always loved this one, Gene is mighty strong on Side IV.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

It's maybe the most throwaway of the original Side 4 tracks, but it's still great fun.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

AceyAintInCharge wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:52 pm I have always loved this song. One of my faves in the catalog. I have never understood the disdain for this song. It's always felt like I hear it with a different set if ears than the rest of the world.
Agreed
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

DaveinSpain wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:20 pm I'm 44. I discovered Kiss at like 6 years old because I had an older cousin & of course the makeup and all that anyway whatever. My favourite era is the originals but too each his own. I lived in the USA 38 years. Served 3 years in the Army and I'm a proud American. Anyway I married a lovely Spanish women & I've lived in Madrid,Spain the last 5 or so years.
So I'm having a few beers tonight watching some baseball & listening to a random playlist of bands & random styles,I'm a big hardcore punk guy but whatever & Rockin in the USA just came on. Yeah it's not the best Kiss song,but in this moment at this time (I've been a bit homesick lately) goddamn did this song kick my ass. Totally made me rock out alone in my living room & filled me with joy. Even a few tears...maybe a bit more then a few. But man it filled me with emotions.
We all have our opinions about Kiss & who they are today & what is the best this or the best that. Let me tell ya at 11:15pm Spain time Rockin in the USA is the best damn song I've heard in a good long while.....1 more beer and a different band or song I may feel different,but this is why I love Kiss. I've been homesick & a little down lately and BAMM Kiss hits me!!!! Sure it ain't the best song,but it was the perfect song in the perfect moment.
I love the era I love. You love what you love,but goddamn it Kiss kicks some ass end of story. Have a good Sunday folks.
I understand
Hellbastard
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Hellbastard »

AceyAintInCharge wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:52 pm I have always loved this song. One of my faves in the catalog. I have never understood the disdain for this song. It's always felt like I hear it with a different set if ears than the rest of the world.
Ditto. It's an incredibly catchy song.

Like you, I have never understood why the majority of Kiss fans (so it seems) mock it.
pepperkitty
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by pepperkitty »

DaveinSpain wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:20 pm I'm 44. I discovered Kiss at like 6 years old because I had an older cousin & of course the makeup and all that anyway whatever. My favourite era is the originals but too each his own. I lived in the USA 38 years. Served 3 years in the Army and I'm a proud American. Anyway I married a lovely Spanish women & I've lived in Madrid,Spain the last 5 or so years.
Totally get it!
And thank you for your service.
Strutterer
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Strutterer »

Not my favourite Kiss song, but I can totally relate to the right song hitting at the right time. Thanks for sharing your story, and thank you for your service!

Kiss has the ability to take me back or improve my mood almost every time a song comes on these days. I love connecting this band to so many great moments in my life, even if the moment is just the first time I spun a certain track in my room on a rainy day. This is our band, people!
DaveinSpain
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by DaveinSpain »

Yeah the song hit me hard last night. Totally the perfect moment for it. And I think it's a fun little song that gets disregarded all the time. And for you folks who said thanks for the service, your quite welcome. Funny side note about living in Spain. In the states we treat our military as heroes. Here in Spain it's almost like if you joined the service its because you failed in life. Nobody says thank you. There are no memorial days or celebrations for the military. It is quite the contrast. I once mentioned to my wife that it'd be cool if our son served for a few years here in Spain....I thought the divorce was coming hahaha. Apparently under no circumstances is our son allowed to join. Hell I don't see why not Spain is a pretty non violent country so we wouldn't need to worry about him going off to war. Anyhoot I'm glad some of you could relate to my post and happy many people like the song. I've always thought it is a fun little diddy. Not reinventing the wheel but by no means a bad song. And last night it hit me right in the feels....now if I could just find a place to buy a steak n cheese sandwich I'd be all set.
Mr Slow
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Mr Slow »

Filler tune but it’s fun. Over half the song is chorus. Still, great performances by all involved. One of Peter’s best drum tracks in my opinion.

I enjoyed the original post a great deal. Sometimes I’ll have that same moment with a random song that I’ve known for 30 or 40 years and suddenly it’s like I’m hearing it for the first time.
Hotter Than Heck

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

I've had those moments where a tune takes you back, that's the best thing about these songs we all love - the memories & emotions attached to them

Also - I love Rockin' in the USA too, I love that entire studio side - great stuff

Cheers!
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Gene probably wrote it in five minutes but it's still kind of fun. I never seek it out but I won't turn it off if it comes on.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

A great bubble gum rock song. Definitely influenced by Chuck Berry.

Love the drum sounds on that one.
lespaul

Post by lespaul »

I love the song
OHKISSFAN

Post by OHKISSFAN »

KISS missed the PERFECT opportunity to play this tune during their Freedom to Rock Tour!
gothunder

Post by gothunder »

:salut: :salut:
Tail of a hurricane

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Terrible lyrics, but it’s catchy
Choose_One
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Choose_One »

Side 4 of Alive 2 gets way overhyped on here. Yes, the production is great, but the songs for the most part are half baked, except for the wonderful Rocket Ride (how this was rejected for Love Gun, I'll never know). Rockin' In The USA, Larger Than Life and All American Man are filler at best.
67Kiss
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by 67Kiss »

I was 10 when AliveII came out and I've always loved the song, in fact I love the entire album. Thanks for sharing this story!
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Choose_One wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:19 am Side 4 of Alive 2 gets way overhyped on here. Yes, the production is great, but the songs for the most part are half baked, except for the wonderful Rocket Ride (how this was rejected for Love Gun, I'll never know). Rockin' In The USA, Larger Than Life and All American Man are filler at best.
Crazy talk
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Choose_One wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:19 am Side 4 of Alive 2 gets way overhyped on here. Yes, the production is great, but the songs for the most part are half baked, except for the wonderful Rocket Ride (how this was rejected for Love Gun, I'll never know). Rockin' In The USA, Larger Than Life and All American Man are filler at best.
Agreed. Rocket Ride is the diamond here. As for Rockin in the USA, it sounds like one of those tracks Richund from Kiss Asylum wrote about, "should have been sung by the Muppets".
J-Lefty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by J-Lefty »

Top 10 KISS song for me. ALIVE II side 4 is the best KISS album side. Its a fun riff to play along to.
J-Lefty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by J-Lefty »

Hellbastard wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:51 pm
Ditto. It's an incredibly catchy song.

Like you, I have never understood why the majority of Kiss fans (so it seems) mock it.
A great rock n roll song. The problem is that most KISS fans don't know what a good KISS song is.
J-Lefty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by J-Lefty »

I think the entire Love Gun album is filler.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

I love it.
ozweepay
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ozweepay »

One of my favorite songs. Although Paul doesn't think so. Excerpt from the book Behind The Mask:

GENE SIMMONS: Everybody in the band hates it, especially Paul. He thinks it's schlock, just the worst. We go to do our makeup and often he starts singing it as a kind of “Boy, is that lame.”