KISS and SNL

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

KISS and SNL

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

Was KISS ever a musical guest on SNL? I say no, but my friend insists I'm wrong. And if I'm correct, does anyone know why KISS was never on SNL?
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: KISS and SNL

Post by Grand Classic »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:11 am Was KISS ever a musical guest on SNL? I say no, but my friend insists I'm wrong. And if I'm correct, does anyone know why KISS was never on SNL?
KISS was never a musical guest, but they did do a KISS skit. I think KISS were never on SNL because they weren't respected by Lorne Michaels, etc. A sort of similar stance to Rolling Stone Magazine.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Your friend is probably thinking of Fridays. They were on that.
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Tallbear13 »

Had Belushi said hey I want KISS as a musical guest Lorne would have said yes master cause Belushi got FEAR on the show and that was crazy
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

In the Suds wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:21 am Your friend is probably thinking of Fridays. They were on that.
They were also on MadTV as I recall. But i knew I wasn't imagining things with them not having been on SNL.
Strutterer
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Strutterer »

They've never played SNL, but I really can't believe they've never played SNL.

Their heyday may not have been within the SNL audience, plus it may be true that Lorne Michaels didn't like Kiss.

The post-Reunion era would have been perfect, especially during the Sonic Boom days when they hit all the late night talk shows as musical guests.

Sometimes I just don't get today's SNL musical guests. Generally, it seems old rockers aren't as welcome as newer artists.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

It's interesting about Belushi. Both Peter and Ace have claimed they were close friends with him.

Maybe somewhat dubiously since no one else seems to have noticed this.
Brewer
Banned
Banned

Post by Brewer »

Ace says he’s friends with Jagger and Richards. We all remember the somewhat pathetic story of Ace “meeting” Richards at a bar in KISS and Tell.
ZachAttack
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by ZachAttack »

They did a Kiss skit back in the 70s, I think it's on the Kiss My Ass video. There's a more recent sketch called Biggest Douche or something like that where Fred Armisen played Gene. Then there was a sketch where some guy described his dream wedding where they "ride dirt bikes to the chapel wearing kiss makeup" and another one about someone being a "cool" teacher and it shows him wearing Gene's makeup in the classroom
Brewer
Banned
Banned

Post by Brewer »

Ace was never on Letterman because he pissed in Paul Shaffer’s drink at a party.
Randall Stevens
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Randall Stevens »

Should have had the OG band in but didn't because Lorne is in the clique with Jann Weiner and the rest of those snobs. The fact that the reunion era didn't get a musical spot is criminal.
NanooksBlood
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by NanooksBlood »

Paul is good friends with Dan Aykroyd too, and Donna of course. I think SNL was part of the "New York" that KISS has never been allowed to be a part of.

And yes, there was a skit back in the 70's with Aykroyd and Art Garfunkel about KISS. Still like it.
KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by KISSFACE »

Brewer wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:40 pm Ace was never on Letterman because he pissed in Paul Shaffer’s drink at a party.
Ah, i had that mixed up as Ace pissing in a drink of Lorne Michaels.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

ZachAttack wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:32 pm They did a Kiss skit back in the 70s, I think it's on the Kiss My Ass video. There's a more recent sketch called Biggest Douche or something like that where Fred Armisen played Gene. Then there was a sketch where some guy described his dream wedding where they "ride dirt bikes to the chapel wearing kiss makeup" and another one about someone being a "cool" teacher and it shows him wearing Gene's makeup in the classroom
That's great Kisstory knowledge right there. :salut:
caligari

Post by caligari »

NanooksBlood wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:59 pm Paul is good friends with Dan Aykroyd too, and Donna of course.
You’re joking, right?
NanooksBlood
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by NanooksBlood »

According to Dan, Paul has come to stay at his house as a guest, and has called him a talented guy.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:16 am
Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:11 am Was KISS ever a musical guest on SNL? I say no, but my friend insists I'm wrong. And if I'm correct, does anyone know why KISS was never on SNL?
KISS was never a musical guest, but they did do a KISS skit. I think KISS were never on SNL because they weren't respected by Lorne Michaels, etc. A sort of similar stance to Rolling Stone Magazine.
Rolling Stone magazine, Newsweek, Time, SNL, the RARHOF: they're essentially all the same people, crypto-funded by the same sources, all with the same mission and the same crypto-agenda.

People like Lorne "Michaels" Lipowitz, Jann Wenner, Lester Bangs, Jon Landau et al. were always probably quite literally under orders never to paint KISS in a positive light.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

DonnaDixon wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:32 pm
Rolling Stone magazine, Newsweek, Time, SNL, the RARHOF: they're essentially all the same people, crypto-funded by the same sources, all with the same mission and the same crypto-agenda.

People like Lorne "Michaels" Lipowitz, Jann Wenner, Lester Bangs, Jon Landau et al. were always probably quite literally under orders never to paint KISS in a positive light.
I can't really blame them. Lester Bangs was a national treasure with his reviews.
pepperkitty
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by pepperkitty »

Tallbear13 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:28 am Had Belushi said hey I want KISS as a musical guest Lorne would have said yes master cause Belushi got FEAR on the show and that was crazy
One of the greatest moments EVER!
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

In the Suds wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:33 pm It's interesting about Belushi. Both Peter and Ace have claimed they were close friends with him.

Maybe somewhat dubiously since no one else seems to have noticed this.
I imagine Belushi was "close friends" with whoever was holding the coke back in the day...
TheKISSProject7312
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

Dan Aykroyd, doughy goofball, stole chiseled rock god Paul Stanley's woman out from under his nose and you're wondering why KISS never appeared on SNL?
caligari

Post by caligari »

NanooksBlood wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:59 pm According to Dan, Paul has come to stay at his house as a guest, and has called him a talented guy.
L😂L
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Grand Classic wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:38 pm

I can't really blame them. Lester Bangs was a national treasure with his reviews.
You can't blame them??
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:48 am

You can't blame them??
I can't blame them, either. KISS were simply 'badly behaved', everyone (in the industry) knew this. And an issue that really began working against them with popular media outlets, by 1978.

And upon being lured onto the "Tomorrow Show", they were crucified publicly on an national broadcast. 🔨👳🏻‍♀️

And/or to say 'exposed' for who they all really were & all one really needs to know about the mysterious members of KISS (that's simply is aware or observing KISS & not necessarily is a fan - the target audience).

🤔
B5Erik
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:15 am Dan Aykroyd, doughy goofball, stole chiseled rock god Paul Stanley's woman out from under his nose and you're wondering why KISS never appeared on SNL?
Aykroyd was long since off SNL by then. It had nothing to do with that.

Lorne Michaels hated KISS - thought they were a bad joke. That's why KISS was never on SNL.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

B5Erik wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:08 am
TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:15 am Dan Aykroyd, doughy goofball, stole chiseled rock god Paul Stanley's woman out from under his nose and you're wondering why KISS never appeared on SNL?

Lorne Michaels hated KISS - thought they were a bad joke. That's why KISS was never on SNL.
Yes, very true. Not everyone at NBC enjoyed KISS' company. And despite Bill 'having a in' with the network; of which was identified in "Conversations with Phantoms" (a good read).

👍🏻
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

But I guess he was mesmerized by those creative geniuses Leon Redbone, Queen Ida, and Janis Ian.

The reality surely is that Lorne was instructed to say that he hated KISS, and not to hire them.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:31 am

But I guess he was mesmerized by those creative geniuses Leon Redbone, Queen Ida, and Janis Ian.

The reality surely is that Lorne was instructed to say that he hated KISS, and not to hire them.
Instructed by himself. He 'personally' hated them.

😉
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

jkiss wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:59 am

You can't blame them??
I can't blame them, either. KISS were simply 'badly behaved', everyone (in the industry) knew this. And an issue that really began working against them with popular media outlets, by 1978.

And upon being lured onto the "Tomorrow Show", they were crucified publicly on an national broadcast. 🔨👳🏻‍♀️

And/or to say 'exposed' for who they all really were & all one really needs to know about the mysterious members of KISS (that's simply is aware or observing KISS & not necessarily is a fan - the target audience).

🤔
But the fake-journalism mainstream payola media gushed over other bad behavers, from The Rolling Stones to Lou Reed to any number of punk-band members.
Doose

Post by Doose »

KISS on SNL at the start of the Reunion Tour would have been epic. I think it would have been a big deal for that time.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

jkiss wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:33 am
DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:31 am

Instructed by himself. He 'personally' hated them.

😉
Maybe, maybe not.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:33 am

You can't blame them??

🤔
But the fake-journalism mainstream payola media gushed over other bad behavers, from The Rolling Stones to Lou Reed to any number of punk-band members.
The first thing Gene ever said to me & in public/in-front of several other fans, etc. (circa 1978) was, "I want your pussy."

😛
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

You can't blame them??
No I can't. Look I grew up on KISS and they have been a big part of my life, but I totally understand why people looked down on them musically or saw them as being completely style over substance. That the makeup and show was better than the actual music.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

You can't blame them??

🤔
They legitimately loved those artists.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Grand Classic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:45 am

You can't blame them??
No I can't. Look I grew up on KISS and they have been a big part of my life, but I totally understand why people looked down on them musically or saw them as being completely style over substance. That the makeup and show was better than the actual music.
The makeup and show were equal to the actual music.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Grand Classic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:47 am
You can't blame them??

🤔
Maybe, maybe not.

P.S. Follow the money....
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:48 am

You can't blame them??
And I totally understand why people don't see it that way.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Grand Classic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:54 am
You can't blame them??
Me too: they don't actually/honestly listen, and/or they don't know what they're talking about.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:49 am

🤔
Maybe, maybe not.

You seem quite the Alex Jones conspiracy theorist type. Of course they would have liked many of the artists - because in many cases, they were actually great and among the best in rock history.

Only someone like you would complain about The Rolling Stones being in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame or them being considered one of the greatest bands in rock and roll history. It is because they are and they completely shit all over KISS.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Grand Classic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:59 am
Maybe, maybe not.

You seem quite the Alex Jones conspiracy theorist type. Of course they would have liked many of the artists - because in many cases, they were actually great and among the best in rock history.

Only someone like you would complain about The Rolling Stones being in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame or them being considered one of the greatest bands in rock and roll history. It is because they are and they completely shit all over KISS.
You wrote four sentences, and 100.00% of them were completely wrong.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:56 am

Me too: they don't actually/honestly listen, and/or they don't know what they're talking about.
I have heard everything KISS has ever done and I know what I am talking about. I totally get it. I would say you are completely biased and lack the ability to be objective.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

You can't blame them??
KISS was a NYC band, and in their heyday they would have torn the SNL set down if given the chance (musically and visually). I'm talking circa 1977. A lot of folks here love the Mike Douglas appearance from 1974, but it's kind of a stiff performance from the earlier days. By 1977 KISS was much more polished (but not too polished) and looser. Lost opportunity for all parties involved.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:01 am

Maybe, maybe not.

I have enjoyed the mocking you have received over your stance with The Rolling Stones. You rightfully deserve it.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Grand Classic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 am
I have heard everything KISS has ever done and I know what I am talking about. I totally get it. I would say you are completely biased and lack the ability to be objective.
I have heard everything that KISS has ever done, and I know what I am talking about. I totally get it. I would say that you are completely biased and lack the ability to be objective.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Grand Classic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:04 am
Maybe, maybe not.

I have enjoyed the mocking you have received over your stance with The Rolling Stones. You rightfully deserve it.
Brainwashed nerdzombies need an outlet for their cog-diss. It's fine. I couldn't care less.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:05 am
Grand Classic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 am

I have heard everything that KISS has ever done, and I know what I am talking about. I totally get it. I would say that you are completely biased and lack the ability to be objective.
I am being objective.

If I wasn't able to be objective, I might say something fucking stupid like I don't know....KISS is better than The Rolling Stones.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:06 am

Brainwashed nerdzombies need an outlet for their cog-diss. It's fine. I couldn't care less.
Oh you care big time that you were mocked with people laughing at such idiocy.

You also don't understand what cognitive dissonance means - you have used it incorrectly 3 times now. Are you trying to tell people that you are uneducated, but trying to sound smart?
Last edited by Grand Classic on Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

Doose wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:33 am KISS on SNL at the start of the Reunion Tour would have been epic. I think it would have been a big deal for that time.
I don't think it was possible because of that deal they had with Fox
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Grand Classic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:12 am

You also don't understand what cognitive dissonance means - you have used it incorrectly 3 times now. Are you trying to tell people that you are uneducated, but trying to sound smart?
Who would care about being disagreed with by obtusers and imbeciles?

And also: My, my, you haughty little rascal, choosing to throw your hat in the ring on a scientific construct??! This will be fun. Your first sentence on it (an utter failure) was already fun.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:22 am
Grand Classic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:12 am

Who would care about being disagreed with by obtusers and imbeciles?

And also: My, my, you haughty little rascal, choosing to throw your hat in the ring on a scientific construct??! This will be fun. Your first sentence on it (an utter failure) was already fun.
If you didn't care, you wouldn't feel compelled to push your conspiracy theories around.

You have used cognitive dissonance incorrectly 3 times - you have already lost. Perhaps instead of spending your time looking like a fucking mouth breather, you should actually learn how to use cognitive dissonance properly.