I Know I'm in the Minority but...

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
AlmostRockingHuman
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Re: I Know I'm in the Minority but...

Post by AlmostRockingHuman »

cheesy funny song, love it till this day!
Easy Catman
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Easy Catman »

I think the song is great and of it's time for sure. I wish the picture quality of the video could be cleaned up to make it look sharper on this and other old videos I am sure the technology is out there to do this.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

:
TwistedTaste wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:14 pm This one was inspired by Solomon Burke
:lol: :lol: :lol:
brain hammer
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by brain hammer »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:20 am
Mr Slow wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:24 pm Always loved it. It actually has a really strong chorus, but unfinished don’t think a lot of fans can see past the silly Uh! part of the song. Had it been called Rock All Night I think more fans would like it.

Well, we work all day
And we don't know why
Well, there's just one thing that money can't buy
When your body's been starved, feed your appetite
When you work all day, you gotta rock all night
That's a great call. Or even "up." As in "we work all day but we're up all night."
I agree with both of you, either rock or up all night would have been a big improvement.

I’ve always been a fan of that song regardless, primarily from many repeat viewings of eXposed.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

wjs296 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:46 am Fun song, very 80's. I like it, don't love it. Hard to believe it was so long ago.
Agreed.
Black Ace

Post by Black Ace »

Absurd but fun. The song and video are both great. They were way too old to be dressing like that - which makes it all the more hilarious.
steve
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by steve »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:40 pmI know you love the music, but you also liked their Golden Girls look?
It never bothered me. Still doesn't, and I can't understand why people get so bent out of shape over it whenever Asylum comes up for discussion.

Allow me, if I may, to paint a picture for you. When I was growing up I barely saw KISS on television between 1982 and 1987 when Crazy Crazy Nights was a minor hit here and the video got some airplay on Saturday morning music clip shows. I couldn't ride a bike to the newsagent and flip through the rock magazines so, unless I found a KISS album I didn't have at the local library (which is how I found out Asylum even existed), the only way I learned about new releases was if my Mum spotted a review in the newspaper and cut it out for me. Four channels, no MTV and no KISS on the radio at all. Telling people you liked the band after 1980 was like saying you liked to spend your weekends molesting medium sized farm animals.

Fast forward to 1988. A remote acquaintance ran a music shop at the time, knew I was a KISS fan and told my family about a home video called Exposed. Plans were made to buy me a copy for Christmas. There was a delay and I finally got hold of the thing in January of '89. I was twelve at the time and had just found out there were clips to go with not one, not two, but three songs from an album I really liked. Excuse me if I didn't nit-pick what the band were wearing and just enjoyed the hell out of watching them. 32 years on, nothing has changed.

Exposed also helped me learn about Creatures and Lick It Up, both of which I found far more interesting than any of the 70s footage on that tape.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

steve wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:19 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:40 pmI know you love the music, but you also liked their Golden Girls look?
It never bothered me. Still doesn't, and I can't understand why people get so bent out of shape over it whenever Asylum comes up for discussion.

Allow me, if I may, to paint a picture for you. When I was growing up I barely saw KISS on television between 1982 and 1987 when Crazy Crazy Nights was a minor hit here and the video got some airplay on Saturday morning music clip shows. I couldn't ride a bike to the newsagent and flip through the rock magazines so, unless I found a KISS album I didn't have at the local library (which is how I found out Asylum even existed), the only way I learned about new releases was if my Mum spotted a review in the newspaper and cut it out for me. Four channels, no MTV and no KISS on the radio at all. Telling people you liked the band after 1980 was like saying you liked to spend your weekends molesting medium sized farm animals.

Fast forward to 1988. A remote acquaintance ran a music shop at the time, knew I was a KISS fan and told my family about a home video called Exposed. Plans were made to buy me a copy for Christmas. There was a delay and I finally got hold of the thing in January of '89. I was twelve at the time and had just found out there were clips to go with not one, not two, but three songs from an album I really liked. Excuse me if I didn't nit-pick what the band were wearing and just enjoyed the hell out of watching them. 32 years on, nothing has changed.

Exposed also helped me learn about Creatures and Lick It Up, both of which I found far more interesting than any of the 70s footage on that tape.
Well when you put it that way, I will give you a pass. :D

I figured after you got The Elder, you were following KISS as much as you could. Whenever you went to the mall - you would look around the record store, etc.
kenn.ace

Post by kenn.ace »

Just a completely crap song like 90% of the album.
steve

Post by steve »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:41 pmWhenever you went to the mall - you would look around the record store, etc.
Oh I did, but more often than not there was nothing to be found. Whenever I wanted to buy the latest album or replace an old tape that I'd worn out, I had to save my pocket money and ask the good folk of Carrig Music at Northpark to place an order. Little to no KISS on display unless it was a new release, and even then they'd only be there for a couple of weeks. In those days it felt like nobody cared but me, and that was a badge of honour. 'I got a reputation, people know who I am...' :lol:
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

steve wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:07 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:41 pmWhenever you went to the mall - you would look around the record store, etc.
Oh I did, but more often than not there was nothing to be found. Whenever I wanted to buy the latest album or replace an old tape that I'd worn out, I had to save my pocket money and ask the good folk of Carrig Music at Northpark to place an order. Little to no KISS on display unless it was a new release, and even then they'd only be there for a couple of weeks. In those days it felt like nobody cared but me, and that was a badge of honour. 'I got a reputation, people know who I am...' :lol:
Is that why KISS didn't play their often if you couldn't go to the record store - go to the KISS section and find every album they released up until that point? Not much album ordering or distribution.

I was able to find everything at Sam The Record Man in Toronto.

I guess the love for Unmasked only went so far.
steve

Post by steve »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:13 pmIs that why KISS didn't play their often if you couldn't go to the record store - go to the KISS section and find every album they released up until that point? Not much album ordering or distribution.
That's how it felt at the time, a bit like trying to find Tony Martin era Black Sabbath albums in the USA.

You have to remember I was a kid and didn't have much confidence or purchasing power. I can also only speak for where I lived. It was probably easier for fans who were a bit older and from bigger cities to get hold of new releases and information about them. I had to take or leave whatever I could find. For many years most of my collection was second hand tapes of everything from Hotter Than Hell up to The Elder that a very pissed off former fan must have sold to Bank St Records in one lot.

To repeat a story I've often told here, it took me seven years to get a copy of Creatures, and that was a very expensive import through the same person who found Exposed for me. From 82-89, every music shop I went to told me it didn't exist, that nobody cared about KISS any more and I must have made it up. I heard this so often that I started to believe it, until I saw the video for I Love It Loud and began my crusade again. When I finally held the damned thing in my hands I knew the cover was wrong, but I'd waited so long to hear the music that I didn't care.

Watching two videos from Lick It Up on Exposed conjured some very dim memories of seeing the album on the display rack at Carrig Music, noticing the cover and thinking 'that's not Ace.' (The lack of makeup bothered me a lot less for some reason.) I was only seven and didn't have the money to buy it, so it went unheard until I ordered it at the same time as Creatures. Better late than never. :)

I'm fairly certain Unmasked was a big seller down here in 1980, but Dynasty shifted more copies overall. I had just turned four and got caught up in the hype surrounding the Australian tour. All of that formed some of my earliest memories not only of music, but of life in general.
Padilla18
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Padilla18 »

Love this track. Love the opening riff, Bruce's solo. Always thought this would a be a fun track to add to the set list. Would be a fun crowd sing along.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Not great but definitely not bad either.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Fun song. Dreadful video. Crappy album.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

steve wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:56 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:13 pmIs that why KISS didn't play their often if you couldn't go to the record store - go to the KISS section and find every album they released up until that point? Not much album ordering or distribution.
That's how it felt at the time, a bit like trying to find Tony Martin era Black Sabbath albums in the USA.

You have to remember I was a kid and didn't have much confidence or purchasing power. I can also only speak for where I lived. It was probably easier for fans who were a bit older and from bigger cities to get hold of new releases and information about them. I had to take or leave whatever I could find. For many years most of my collection was second hand tapes of everything from Hotter Than Hell up to The Elder that a very pissed off former fan must have sold to Bank St Records in one lot.

To repeat a story I've often told here, it took me seven years to get a copy of Creatures, and that was a very expensive import through the same person who found Exposed for me. From 82-89, every music shop I went to told me it didn't exist, that nobody cared about KISS any more and I must have made it up. I heard this so often that I started to believe it, until I saw the video for I Love It Loud and began my crusade again. When I finally held the damned thing in my hands I knew the cover was wrong, but I'd waited so long to hear the music that I didn't care.

Watching two videos from Lick It Up on Exposed conjured some very dim memories of seeing the album on the display rack at Carrig Music, noticing the cover and thinking 'that's not Ace.' (The lack of makeup bothered me a lot less for some reason.) I was only seven and didn't have the money to buy it, so it went unheard until I ordered it at the same time as Creatures. Better late than never. :)

I'm fairly certain Unmasked was a big seller down here in 1980, but Dynasty shifted more copies overall. I had just turned four and got caught up in the hype surrounding the Australian tour. All of that formed some of my earliest memories not only of music, but of life in general.
You must have been overjoyed when Australia finally saw the light and KISS was cool again when Ace and Peter came back. You could probably find all things KISS then.
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

B5Erik wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:09 am The fact of the matter is UH! All Night sounds like 70's KISS in the 80's. The riffs and melodies are merely an updating of RARO type stuff.
Completely agree. The verses are filled with Paul's classic Stones/Humble Pie-style riffing.

Fun song.
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

Definitely a better presence in bigger cities in Australia, you could still find some news here and there, and the new albums. But you still had to look! KISS could have easily toured Festival Hall (Melb) , Hordern Pavillion (Syd) type venues and that’s what they should have done in the mid 80’s. The 5 to 6,000 seaters. But you’re totally right with Crazy Crazy Nights. It was the first mainstream exposure and play KISS had got since 1980 which was nice to see. I couldn’t believe when I saw it playing on one of those Saturday morning hits shows!

But basically zero mainstream coverage for a long time. So its strange to think the Kissology Easter egg where Molly Meldrum is interviewing Kiss in ’84 with Gene introducing Mark St. John - Id never seen / heard that ? Im damned if I know where that is from? :scratch: Theres no way it would have been on Countdown in ’84. Molly may have done pieces for late Fri and Sat shows like Rage, so additional bits may have been shown on that? Possible it was shown on Rage at 2am one Sunday morning!?
But yes coverage was a little lean in the mid 80s..
Kissologist
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Kissologist »

Song and video are goofy but catchy 8)
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:40 am

Definitely a better presence in bigger cities in Australia, you could still find some news here and there, and the new albums. But you still had to look! KISS could have easily toured Festival Hall (Melb) , Hordern Pavillion (Syd) type venues and that’s what they should have done in the mid 80’s. The 5 to 6,000 seaters. But you’re totally right with Crazy Crazy Nights. It was the first mainstream exposure and play KISS had got since 1980 which was nice to see. I couldn’t believe when I saw it playing on one of those Saturday morning hits shows!

But basically zero mainstream coverage for a long time. So its strange to think the Kissology Easter egg where Molly Meldrum is interviewing Kiss in ’84 with Gene introducing Mark St. John - Id never seen / heard that ? Im damned if I know where that is from? :scratch: Theres no way it would have been on Countdown in ’84. Molly may have done pieces for late Fri and Sat shows like Rage, so additional bits may have been shown on that? Possible it was shown on Rage at 2am one Sunday morning!?
Did Australians not have Circus, Hit Parader and eventually Metal Edge and other US magazines available to them that would feature KISS often?
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:07 pm
Phyllis Simmons wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:40 am

Did Australians not have Circus, Hit Parader and eventually Metal Edge and other US magazines available to them that would feature KISS often?
Of course. All on import. As well as at least half dozen big UK ones on import (which probably featured KISS more), plus local ones. There was plenty of that type of coverage; I'd consider that kinda like specialty coverage, not necessary real "mainstream" coverage. KISS still had a base and some support and that's why I said they easily could have done those "large hall" type venues, every year if they wanted to in Australia. Which they should have done! There was a base that stuck by them.. Touring more regularly would have grown that too. But late 80's they possibly could have done arenas again in Australia - it had definitely gone full circle by then.. Say '89/'90....
steve

Post by steve »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:16 amYou must have been overjoyed when Australia finally saw the light and KISS was cool again when Ace and Peter came back. You could probably find all things KISS then.
Fortunately that happened with Revenge. Again, I can only speak for Adelaide, but God Gave... and Domino did well on rock radio and I was very briefly considered hip at school because quite a few people wanted to hear more and came to me for advice about which other albums to listen to.

This carried over into the Alive III (the live version of I Love It Loud got quite a bit of airplay here) and KIss My Ass eras and culminated in the 1995 Australian tour. At that point Gene and Paul didn't appear keen on the idea of a reunion and essentially lied right to the fans' faces at the first official conventions about how they couldn't see it happening. To me this vindicated the then current band and made everything that happened after MTV Unplugged all the more difficult to accept. I missed Eric Carr a great deal and still do, but the strength and commitment of the Revenge lineup helped me deal with his loss. It was great while it lasted.
steve

Post by steve »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:07 pmDid Australians not have Circus, Hit Parader and eventually Metal Edge and other US magazines available to them that would feature KISS often?
We did, but it was common for comic books and special interest magazines from the UK and US to be three months behind unless you went to a specialist shop and paid through the nose for import copies. I couldn't afford to do that very often, so I had to rely on whatever information filtered through. My Dad once gave me a Gene interview from Hot Metal (after Smashes and before HITS if memory serves), but he threw the rest of the magazine away because he didn't think it was fit for me to read. :lol:
steve

Post by steve »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:40 amSo its strange to think the Kissology Easter egg where Molly Meldrum is interviewing Kiss in ’84 with Gene introducing Mark St. John - Id never seen / heard that ? Im damned if I know where that is from? :scratch: Theres no way it would have been on Countdown in ’84.
That surprised me too. Despite all the fuss surrounding the band and the first Australian tour in 1980, I often wondered if Molly cared much about KISS or hard rock in general. His segments on Hey Hey It's Saturday made it clear he was way more invested in Prince and Madonna. Much later, when he showed the clip for Iron Maiden's The Wicker Man on the very short lived House Of Hits, my first response was 'get your hand off it, mate!'
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

steve wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:27 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:07 pmDid Australians not have Circus, Hit Parader and eventually Metal Edge and other US magazines available to them that would feature KISS often?
We did, but it was common for comic books and special interest magazines from the UK and US to be three months behind unless you went to a specialist shop and paid through the nose for import copies. I couldn't afford to do that very often, so I had to rely on whatever information filtered through. My Dad once gave me a Gene interview from Hot Metal (after Smashes and before HITS if memory serves), but he threw the rest of the magazine away because he didn't think it was fit for me to read. :lol:
So there wasn't ONE person you knew that shared your love for KISS and you both could talk about them or try to piece together info that either would find out?
MikeyB
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by MikeyB »

Choose_One wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:38 am One of their very worst songs, and the video does nothing to help it
:idea: :!:
steve

Post by steve »

Grand Classic wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:10 amSo there wasn't ONE person you knew that shared your love for KISS and you both could talk about them or try to piece together info that either would find out?
Not between 85 and 92, no. The one exception prior to that was my friend Ben, who had a big mouth and a bigger imagination. If I was Bill from IT when we were kids, he was Richie. He asked me one day on the school bus if I'd heard the new song Heaven's On Fire and I thought he was having a laugh. Animalize for Christmas 84 turned out to be a very pleasant surprise, much heavier and more interesting than any KISS album I'd listened to before.

I haven't seen Ben in 30 years. Last I heard he was married. I always thought he'd end up in prison, which amounts to the same thing. :lol: Last time we caught up I did a double take, then we gave each other the old salute and sang Thunderstruck together. Badly.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

steve wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:38 am
Grand Classic wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:10 amSo there wasn't ONE person you knew that shared your love for KISS and you both could talk about them or try to piece together info that either would find out?
Not between 85 and 92, no. The one exception prior to that was my friend Ben, who had a big mouth and a bigger imagination. If I was Bill from IT when we were kids, he was Richie. He asked me one day on the school bus if I'd heard the new song Heaven's On Fire and I thought he was having a laugh. Animalize for Christmas 84 turned out to be a very pleasant surprise, much heavier and more interesting than any KISS album I'd listened to before.

I haven't seen Ben in 30 years. Last I heard he was married. I always thought he'd end up in prison, which amounts to the same thing. :lol: Last time we caught up I did a double take, then we gave each other the old salute and sang Thunderstruck together. Badly.
Looks like you maybe picked the wrong band to get into. :D