42 Years to the day...

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
turbodrive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

42 Years to the day...

Post by turbodrive »

I recently stumbled on the July '79 HBO guide on that auction site for cheap and bought it. It showed up yesterday, July 28th. Debut of the KISS special on HBO in 1979? July 28th. I thought that warranted digging out the DVD of the show and watching it on the big screen. That was one of the best summers for me as a teenager and I remember seeing this for the first time like it was yesterday. Still hasn't lost any magic for me...
KISS HBO.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wiped Out 78
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: 42 Years to the day...

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

HBO guides! I had forgotten about those.

I think I watched that concert every time HBO aired it. Thanks for posting this.
turbodrive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by turbodrive »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:02 am HBO guides! I had forgotten about those.

I think I watched that concert every time HBO aired it. Thanks for posting this.
Same here! I had a summer job at a grocery store, but tried to catch the rebroadcast whenever I could. Saw it multiple times that summer.
caligari
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by caligari »

….
Last edited by caligari on Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
caligari

Post by caligari »

turbodrive wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:13 am
Wiped Out 78 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:02 am HBO guides! I had forgotten about those.

Same here! I had a summer job at a grocery store, but tried to catch the rebroadcast whenever I could. Saw it multiple times that summer.
Did you call into work sick any of those times to watch it?…
Growing up in the 70s I remember checking the regular
TV guide that you could buy
and the one that would come with the Sunday newspapers…
I had an attack of “fake -itis” the day that KISS was on the “Dinah” show in the middle the afternoon, and had to stay home that day 😉

Kids today can’t understand this.
Ghost_of_Paul_Lynde
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Ghost_of_Paul_Lynde »

That was the first summer we had HBO in my podunk small town...I caught nearly every film they offered that year, just for the sheer novelty of it all! I recall opening the guide and being blown away that an actual KISS concert would be available for me to watch — and watch I did, every time it aired!
Padilla18
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Padilla18 »

Wow! That HBO guide brings back memories. I remember seeing that at 4 years of age.
gothunder
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by gothunder »

8)
Kissologist

Post by Kissologist »

Somehow a mexican TV station got the rights (I think?) from HBO to air it back in 1979 as well.
I catched some of it but not all since I didn't became a fan until a year later.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

My sister had HBO in her part of the country. We didn't where we lived. I remember my parents took me to stay at my sisters place for a week during that time frame. I was glued to the TV set and watched it every time it came on.
I remember the HBO guides with that insert picture. I never saw the cover one. That is great!! I guess the guide my sister had a different cover but there was an insert photo like the one shown.
Memories...... :D
Well now I know why I've never seen that KISS cover HBO guide. I just realized it's not a guide but possibly a DVD of the show... oh well. My bad. :P
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

I didn't worry about it. Saw the tour a bunch of times, already. Plus, didn't have HBO, either.

🤔
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

Didn't get HBO until 82
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Was the basic idea to release Largo 79 for the HBO special but then based on quality they chose to use Tokyo 77?
caligari

Post by caligari »

It’s COOL when something brings back a rush of memories!

You get teleported

You JUST teleported ME.

WARNING:
STOP READING
If you don’t “like” me
Or Don’t want to be shared a personal story
that has VERY LITTLE to do with KISS.

You Were Warned.

July 28,1979

On THAT DAY:
I “baby sat“
For The First
And Only Time.

One house UP from across the street (top of hill opposite side of mine)

Parents of a 1 year old baby
Have a evening
event/commitment

The neighbor girl
Who was their regular babysitter
was away with family for vacation

They called my mom and I was tapped for the gig

The groundwork:

The child is a good baby
who sleeps through the night…

I will arrive at the house and the parents will leave,
telling me that the baby is secure upstairs in the bedroom…

* I do not even have a look at the child *

Unless I hear crying don’t go in…
She will have eaten enough and should sleep through the night…

Lucky for me that’s exactly how it played out.
I never even saw the baby.
It could’ve all been a big hoax for all I know.😉

MUSICAL Significance?

Although at the time no one in my upstate NY town had HBO
(and I didn’t quite understand how it worked through a cable system…)

The family had a TV that had UHF channels…
Around 8 o’clock I frantically tried to tune in some of those UHF channels hoping to get “HBO” & see the televised
“KISS In Japan” concert from two summers earlier (1977)

I Spent most of the evening talking on the phone with my (also huge KISS fan) girlfriend.
… and when I say MOST of the evening,
it literally was hours… like eight hours.

Within that time I watched a very funny repeat
(from April, a few months previous) of
“Saturday night live”
… the musical guest was
Ricky Lee Jones and the host was Richard Benjamin ….
they did a very funny spoof on the movie
“the China syndrome”
(the movie Gene claims he told star Jane Fonda, that it should be called “What If…” instead)
with Dan Aykroyd
(who eventually steals Donna Dixon from Paul Stanley)
playing the part of
President Jimmy Carter…

🎸WHY this is a musical LANDMARK NIGHT FOR ME (?)

When “Saturday night live” went off the air at 1 o’clock I started rummaging around next to their stereo system they had a bunch of eight tracks one of the eight tracks… “The Beatles: Sergeant peppers lonely hearts club band”
… I looked on the back and recognized some of the songs off of my movie soundtrack I had to the Bee Gees Peter Frampton and Aerosmith movie called “Sergeant peppers lonely hearts club band”, which I bought because of Aerosmith’s “Come Together”.
That movie soundtrack contained some songs from the “SPLHCB” album, BUT also a lot of other Beatles songs from their career…
I stuck in the eight track
… this is the first time ever I heard the whole album proper of “Sgt peppers lonely hearts club band”…
I literally must’ve listened to the album about 6 times over and over
(because if you don’t know: A 8 Track Tape will keep playing over & over, for FOREVER, if you don’t pull it out of the machine)
until they came home early in the morning
about 4 o’clock.

That was the night that the Beatles changed from a band who I knew some songs that were on the radio
To a new favorite that I would then start getting deeper and deeper into …borrowing albums from older family and friends.

🤟😁🎸👍
Last edited by caligari on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
turbodrive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by turbodrive »

TwistedTaste wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:13 am Was the basic idea to release Largo 79 for the HBO special but then based on quality they chose to use Tokyo 77?
People have speculated that before, but I don't think it was true. The Largo dates were a bit less than three weeks prior to the first air date on HBO. If the quality of the Largo tape would've been decent enough quality, they still would've had to edit, mix, overdub, etc., which would've taken time. IIRC, HBO was running short teasers for the KISS special as early as the end of June, which would seem to mean they already had the Tokyo tape.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

TwistedTaste wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:13 am Was the basic idea to release Largo 79 for the HBO special but then based on quality they chose to use Tokyo 77?
No, that wasn't for any kind of actual release. Just the videotape made from the Capital Centre's in-house projection system.

Anyway, they wouldn't release that while the "DYNASTY" tour was in-progress. They want you to come to the show & not watch it on TV, instead.

💡
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

I remember the first day we had cable tv/HBO installed (August 1979)..that was the last day that HBO ever aired KISS Tokyo 77.
You could say that was the very first program I watched on HBO.

Luckily, the cable tech installed and finished right before HBO started it's programming day (which started at 5pm).

Cable channels in the 70's weren't 24 hours back then..they (and the regular network channels) would sign off in the wee hours of the A.M.

That was a fun cable TV weekend. I think the HBO premiere of "Jaws" aired that Sunday night at 8pm.
turbodrive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by turbodrive »

I'd looked forward to seeing this for a month, when they first started advertising it and wasn't disappointed in any way. This show is still by far my favorite of everything that's out there, followed closely by Detroit '76.