So many legends dying...

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
neiltracy00
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

So many legends dying...

Post by neiltracy00 »

I feel Kiss are putting their own lives at risk humping all that stage costume weight around at their age. Look at Dusty Hill, 72ish, fair enough had problems the past few years. Kiss should just really stop thinking of money and go while they can rather than drop dead onstage. All the great classic rockers are gradually fading, 6 rock music stars in the last month ffs
kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: So many legends dying...

Post by kiss-1976 »

Only a matter of time before one of the original four go...
neiltracy00
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by neiltracy00 »

kiss-1976 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:48 am Only a matter of time before one of the original four go...
Been saying that for ages. They carry and do too much at their age
kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kiss-1976 »

neiltracy00 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:58 am
kiss-1976 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:48 am Only a matter of time before one of the original four go...
Not only that. As it stands, it seems like there's still resentment amongst them.
It'll be such a pity if one unexpectedly dies leaving the others to deal with the guilt aspect and negativity that brings.
Before you know it we'll be waking up to the shitty news...
neiltracy00
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by neiltracy00 »

kiss-1976 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:05 am
neiltracy00 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:58 am
Not only that. As it stands, it seems like there's still resentment amongst them.
It'll be such a pity if one unexpectedly dies leaving the others to deal with the guilt aspect and negativity that brings.
Before you know it we'll be waking up to the shitty news...
Exactly, as awful as it sounds. They should retire and give us blu ray remasters of all the vintage gigs, but not in a huge shitty box set !!
acesmiddlefinger
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

You have to live for the moment. No one knows what is round the corner. We seem to think that our musical heroes can go on forever. Let's not forget that they are mere mortals like us. Thankfully they have left behind their work which we can enjoy for our remaining years.
For those of us who have followed many of the great rock bands for the last 30-40 years, we knew these moments would come. Not that the fact makes it easier to deal with. The fact that Gene and Paul and other dinosaur bands are still doing what they do as OAPs is astounding. Enjoy it while you can.
highvoltage1969
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by highvoltage1969 »

RIP DUSTY, I shall be spinning some ZZ today.

That's ageing for you, gradually we see our past disappearing in front of our very eyes, one by one each is erased and replaced by something else. By the the time we're ready to croak everything we knew and cherished has gone and been replaced with stuff that confuses us and we can't relate too.

It's something you don't thing about until you hit about 50.

Cheery stuff!

:D
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

Life expectancy increases everywhere, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to affect rock stars.
It's not unusual that a rock star dies rather young no matter how he has spent his life.
Might be a cost of constant traveling year after year...
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Rock stars can't do piles of cocaine, shoot up heroine and drink like a fish their whole lives without long-term consequences. It's not the key to living a long and healthy life and many continue doing this into old age. KIϟϟ will probably be with us for a long time, yet. Paul, in particular, is in decent shape for a seventy year old. Gene's weight fluctuations are a concern, but even he exercises regularly. Still, its beyond time for them to retire, just because Paul can't sing, anymore. KIϟϟ continues to remain in demand, though, which probably helps keep them going.
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

Bruce wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:53 am Rock stars can't do piles of cocaine, shoot up heroine and drink like a fish their whole lives without long-term consequences. It's not the key to living a long and healthy life and many continue doing this into old age. KIϟϟ will probably be with us for a long time, yet. Paul, in particular, is in decent shape for a seventy year old. Gene's weight fluctuations are a concern, but even he exercises regularly. Still, its beyond time for them to retire, just because Paul can't sing, anymore. KIϟϟ continues to remain in demand, though, which probably helps keep them going.
I hope they keep doing it until their 80's.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

You will probably get your wish!
neiltracy00
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by neiltracy00 »

acesmiddlefinger wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:15 am You have to live for the moment. No one knows what is round the corner. We seem to think that our musical heroes can go on forever. Let's not forget that they are mere mortals like us. Thankfully they have left behind their work which we can enjoy for our remaining years.
For those of us who have followed many of the great rock bands for the last 30-40 years, we knew these moments would come. Not that the fact makes it easier to deal with. The fact that Gene and Paul and other dinosaur bands are still doing what they do as OAPs is astounding. Enjoy it while you can.
57 years old and cried like a bitch when Neil Peart died. Still find it hard to play The garden song, his last
neiltracy00
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by neiltracy00 »

Bruce wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:53 am Rock stars can't do piles of cocaine, shoot up heroine and drink like a fish their whole lives without long-term consequences. It's not the key to living a long and healthy life and many continue doing this into old age. KIϟϟ will probably be with us for a long time, yet. Paul, in particular, is in decent shape for a seventy year old. Gene's weight fluctuations are a concern, but even he exercises regularly. Still, its beyond time for them to retire, just because Paul can't sing, anymore. KIϟϟ continues to remain in demand, though, which probably helps keep them going.
I never went for that, oh he keeps in shape and is in great shape at whatever years old. Whatever number your cards are marked for, you will go whether in good health or not. I drive to work at 4.30am and see idiots, i mean people... out jogging, always think, no matter what you do, maybe this fattish bastard here will outlive you. You can die at any age, no matter what you do to keep fit

CHEERY BASTARD EH !!!!

long live the old school. Its more we are all older like our bands. I am 57 in 2 weeks, you never had our music stars dying as much then because they were younger. Its weird and scary
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

highvoltage1969 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:17 am RIP DUSTY, I shall be spinning some ZZ today.

That's ageing for you, gradually we see our past disappearing in front of our very eyes, one by one each is erased and replaced by something else. By the the time we're ready to croak everything we knew and cherished has gone and been replaced with stuff that confuses us and we can't relate too.

It's something you don't thing about until you hit about 50.

Cheery stuff!

:D
Same - R.I.P. Dusty.

I think the problem is that we associate the bands we were into when we were kids with that time of our lives, and apply a bit of cognitive dissonance to the aging of the musicians from that era regardless of the evidence in front of us.

At the time I first saw Motorhead, Lemmy was in his early/mid thirties and likewise I first saw Whitesnake when Coverdale was still in his twenties (!) Subconsciously I still think of them like that rather than the frail old man Lemmy was in his latter days and the permatanned croaker DC is now.

And it's the same for Kiss except the evidence might be even more glaring with septuagenarians gamely trying to pull off a similar show to the one they gave when they were under 30.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

neiltracy00 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:38 am I feel Kiss are putting their own lives at risk humping all that stage costume weight around at their age. Look at Dusty Hill, 72ish, fair enough had problems the past few years. Kiss should just really stop thinking of money and go while they can rather than drop dead onstage. All the great classic rockers are gradually fading, 6 rock music stars in the last month ffs
In terms of legends passing - I can immediately think of 3 - Neil Peart, EVH & The Dust. What other ones am I missing?
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

R.I.P. Dusty
What a shame
Joey Jordison from Slipknot also R.I.P.
neiltracy00
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by neiltracy00 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:43 am
neiltracy00 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:38 am I feel Kiss are putting their own lives at risk humping all that stage costume weight around at their age. Look at Dusty Hill, 72ish, fair enough had problems the past few years. Kiss should just really stop thinking of money and go while they can rather than drop dead onstage. All the great classic rockers are gradually fading, 6 rock music stars in the last month ffs
In terms of legends passing - I can immediately think of 3 - Neil Peart, EVH & The Dust. What other ones am I missing?
my other heroes..a while ago, Randy Rhoads and Ben Orr
neiltracy00
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by neiltracy00 »

neiltracy00 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:01 am
keyboards and guitarist Cinderella, and Joey jordenson
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

neiltracy00 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:33 am I never went for that, oh he keeps in shape and is in great shape at whatever years old. Whatever number your cards are marked for, you will go whether in good health or not. I drive to work at 4.30am and see idiots, i mean people... out jogging, always think, no matter what you do, maybe this fattish bastard here will outlive you. You can die at any age, no matter what you do to keep fit
I understand the point that you are making. I do. It's like that joke of, "... he was always incredibly fit & healthy, right up to the time he killed himself." Its a matter of likelihood, though, is it not? If 'you' are doing meth all the time, chances are pretty good that things will not go well. If you eat right & exercise, you'll likely do very well. Just common sense stuff, but no ... tomorrow isn't promised to anyone. Still, killing oneself slowly by abusing substances isn't the way to respect the time we have.
curryleaf
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by curryleaf »

This is where Peter most likely has the best idea. As long as he's OK for money and able to live relatively comfortably, he's going to have a decent period of retirement.

To some extent, G&P were almost beholden to do a final tour. Much as I'm sure they'll enjoy the money, Covid will now have robbed them of 18-to-24 months of what would have been their notional retirement. I mean, I'm sure they live life pretty much as they want at the moment, but just knowing you still have to go out there and do all the stuff associated with touring - at their age and for months on end - must be something of a chore.

But, as others have said, one day we'll wake up and instead of a member of Van Halen, Skipknot, Rush or ZZ Top, it will - sadly - be one of the original four.
highvoltage1969

neiltracy00 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:33 am
I never went for that, oh he keeps in shape and is in great shape at whatever years old. Whatever number your cards are marked for, you will go whether in good health or not. I drive to work at 4.30am and see idiots, i mean people... out jogging, always think, no matter what you do, maybe this fattish bastard here will outlive you. You can die at any age, no matter what you do to keep fit

CHEERY BASTARD EH !!!!

long live the old school. Its more we are all older like our bands. I am 57 in 2 weeks, you never had our music stars dying as much then because they were younger. Its weird and scary
That's quite a fatalistic way of viewing things and whilst I don't wholly disagree with you, I know, as someone who's just turned 52, that I feel infinitely better than I when I smoked, ate crappy food and didn't exercise. Of course, you're quite right, I might get run over by a bus tomorrow so maybe I will have a Balti and Chips for dinner tonight :wink:
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by jannep17 »

It's not for us to decide. Lemmy was on stage two weeks before he died. You never know when you're gonna go.
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

highvoltage1969 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:37 am

CHEERY BASTARD EH !!!!

That's quite a fatalistic way of viewing things and whilst I don't wholly disagree with you, I know, as someone who's just turned 52, that I feel infinitely better than I when I smoked, ate crappy food and didn't exercise. Of course, you're quite right, I might get run over by a bus tomorrow so maybe I will have a Balti and Chips for dinner tonight :wink:
It's true. I knew a guy who kept in shape and worked hard and he got hit by a bus and his last words to his wife and kids were "I wish I'd spent the past 20 years doing meth."
highvoltage1969

Nately120 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:02 am

CHEERY BASTARD EH !!!!

It's true. I knew a guy who kept in shape and worked hard and he got hit by a bus and his last words to his wife and kids were "I wish I'd spent the past 20 years doing meth."
Reminds me of the late, highly acclaimed, English Poet Laureate John Betjeman, who, apparently, when asked towards the end of his life if there was anything in his long illustrious career he wished he had done, replied: "I wish I'd slept with more women." :D
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

Love Ben Orr. And heck, all four original Ramones are gone.

With the Kiss originals, each one at this point in their lives, should ask themselves, if one of you were to die, what would the other three say as a tribute? Then maybe take that, and say it now instead.
BeholderFan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BeholderFan »

Agreed, except Paul is 69, not 71.
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

Paul's dad is like 103, I think he'll be fine
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Paul and Gene should be learning from these death, but unfortunately they are not and then it will be too late.
B5Erik
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

Paul should have been proud of his vocal performances in 2014 (best in 5 years) and called it a day after that. 2015 was another disaster for him vocally, and it's only gotten worse since.

And now with them both around 70 years old, they're pushing themselves too hard.

At some point in the next decade, maybe the next five years, we are likely going to lose one of the original four. They need to step back and enjoy the rest of their lives.
Kissologist

Post by Kissologist »

What a sad chain of deaths on the rock community! :(
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Kissologist wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:41 am What a sad chain of deaths on the rock community! :(
Who's next, Mama Cass??!
Doose

Post by Doose »

Paul's ego will live to be 120.
Marc Aze
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Marc Aze »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
ludzil

Post by ludzil »

neiltracy00 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:25 am
acesmiddlefinger wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:15 am You have to live for the moment. No one knows what is round the corner. We seem to think that our musical heroes can go on forever. Let's not forget that they are mere mortals like us. Thankfully they have left behind their work which we can enjoy for our remaining years.
57 years old and cried like a bitch when Neil Peart died. Still find it hard to play The garden song, his last
Same here.

I was at my desk at work when I got the news of Neil Peart.
I Cried uncontrollably.
The Garden is one of my all time faves and an absolute beautiful song.
I remember when they played in concert, I thought to myself, “this is it”. This was the their goodbye.
When I heard the news of Eddie Van Halen I was NUMB.
YesterdaysLegend
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by YesterdaysLegend »

Being a active doesnt kill you, Being passive may kill you
Holmgren
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Holmgren »

Yes it's sad when it happens. And it will happen to us all.
No need, and pretty bizarre, to speculate how long someone might have left.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

It is a trip to think about. I believe there was a Golden Age for Popular Music that will never been repeated. 1955 - 1995. Those 40 years. Wasn’t perfect, but it was damn incredible. It’ll be duplicated & imitated for the rest of humanity… but never repeated.

Sometimes I take a step back & just remind myself to be thankful that I got to experience the tail end of it. & all of the reunions, reformations, & comebacks. Not perfect, but better than nothing!

This thread is a great reminder for me to see The Stones again next opportunity. Thanks for that.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

highvoltage1969 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:38 am

CHEERY BASTARD EH !!!!

Reminds me of the late, highly acclaimed, English Poet Laureate John Betjeman, who, apparently, when asked towards the end of his life if there was anything in his long illustrious career he wished he had done, replied: "I wish I'd slept with more women." :D
I think it was Mark Twain who said that at the end of a person’s life, they will be more disappointed by what they did not do than what they did do.
highvoltage1969

southernkiss wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:02 pm

I think it was Mark Twain who said that at the end of a person’s life, they will be more disappointed by what they did not do than what they did do.
I'd hate to think that's going to be true but I have a horrible feeling it might be...

Mark Twain's great: "Golf is a good walk spoiled." is one of my favourites.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

highvoltage1969 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:05 pm

I'd hate to think that's going to be true but I have a horrible feeling it might be...

The older I get, the more I realize just how much there is to do and experience in this world. I am sure I will pass before I can do it all.
highvoltage1969

southernkiss wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:07 pm
highvoltage1969 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:05 pm

The older I get, the more I realize just how much there is to do and experience in this world. I am sure I will pass before I can do it all.
I know! One thing that lockdown and COVID has made me realise is that as soon as I can, I want to travel more.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Bruce wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:13 am
neiltracy00 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:33 am I never went for that, oh he keeps in shape and is in great shape at whatever years old. Whatever number your cards are marked for, you will go whether in good health or not. I drive to work at 4.30am and see idiots, i mean people... out jogging, always think, no matter what you do, maybe this fattish bastard here will outlive you. You can die at any age, no matter what you do to keep fit
I understand the point that you are making. I do. It's like that joke of, "... he was always incredibly fit & healthy, right up to the time he killed himself." Its a matter of likelihood, though, is it not? If 'you' are doing meth all the time, chances are pretty good that things will not go well. If you eat right & exercise, you'll likely do very well. Just common sense stuff, but no ... tomorrow isn't promised to anyone. Still, killing oneself slowly by abusing substances isn't the way to respect the time we have.
I agree. I looked better than Brad Pitt and partied harder than Charlie Sheen for years and lost it all having a crippling stroke last year.
Last edited by Kissoff on Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

You had a stroke, you say? What is your current status, then? I trust you've had therapeudics of some kind? You're doing well, now?
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Kissoff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:14 pm
Bruce wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:13 am
I agree. I looked better than Brad Pitt and partied harder than Charlie Sheen for years and lost it all having a crippling stroke last year.
What???
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Bruce wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:19 pm You had a stroke, you say? What is your current status, then? I trust you've had therapeudics of some kind? You're doing well, now?
Yes some but still basically relegated to a wheelchair. My ex wife cares for me. I lost everything and my ex girlfriend didn't learn either she overdosed a few months ago.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

She's ... gone?
KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

As George Harrison sang, All Things Must Pass.

As Warren Zevon said, “Enjoy every sandwich”.

And never forget the words the Ghost of Christmas Present said to Ebeneezer Scrooge.

“There is never enough time to do or say all that we wish. The thing is to do as much as you can in the time you have left. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly you’re not there anymore”.
acevog75

Post by acevog75 »

Just wait until ten years from now.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

I'm a huge Ben Orr fan!

That said, he and Dusty Hill sure aren't legends.

Also, the Golden Age was 1955-1984, I would say. It all started falling apart incredibly quickly after 84, and got exponentially worse each year.

There are very few post-1984 truly great albums.
Vinniefan123
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Vinniefan123 »

Kissoff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:24 pm
Bruce wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:19 pm You had a stroke, you say? What is your current status, then? I trust you've had therapeudics of some kind? You're doing well, now?
Yes some but still basically relegated to a wheelchair. My ex wife cares for me. I lost everything and my ex girlfriend didn't learn either she overdosed a few months ago.
Sorry to hear this! May she Rest In Peace. Can you get physical therapy to recover?