Fixing Psycho Circus

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
KalB
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Fixing Psycho Circus

Post by KalB »

I'm sure most of us agree that Psycho Circus did not live up to expectations at the time of its release, nor has it proven to get better with age. The final material was all over the place tonally, and was far from a straight forward classic KISS album. Luckily, we have access to a number of high-quality studio outtakes from those sessions. I think most of this cut material was stronger than what ultimately made the album, so I've put together an alternate track listing that I feel would have been a much better KISS reunion album (all studio session player nonsense aside, of course!).

Psycho Circus - Alternate Track List
1.) Psycho Circus
2.) Sweet & Dirty Love
3.) Into the Void
4.) I Pledge Allegiance to the State of Rock & Roll
5.) I Wanna Rule The World
6.) You Wanted the Best
7.) In Your Face
8.) Body and Soul
9.) It's My Life

Nine songs, with a much more classic rock feel. No Carnival of Souls leftovers, cheesy ballots or Alice Cooper rip-offs. This also utilizes Ace and gives him a more equal share of the vocals, which would have at least given the impression that this was a group effort.

So, what do you think? How would you "fix" Psycho Circus, given what we know about the album?
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re: Fixing Psycho Circus

Post by rwgriffith »

I like your version of Psycho Circus. Well, except for "You Wanted The Best" still being on there. I hate it and it sounds like a song on a beer commercial.

I really love you included "It's My Life" and "Body And Soul".
Australia1980
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Australia1980 »

How would you "fix" Psycho Circus, given what we know about the album?
Have Ace and Peter playing guitar and drums.

Yes, a lot of the songs DO suck, and there were WAY better songs they could have substituted, but the main problem was that PC was supposed to be the big "reunion" album, and they touted it as such, but we got Kevin Valentine and Tommy Thayer instead of the real deal. The album is a fraud.

Thing is, they HAD the money at that point to spend 6 freaking months in the studio, whatever it took to make a real KISS reunion album.

But no, they chose wrong.

For me, this was THE most disappointing album of all time. Esp after their fab reunion tour. Those glory days (1996-1997) sure didn't last long enough.

PS Also, DRC was the most disappointing movie of all time for me. KISS sure did fuck up after the 1996-97 Alive Worldwide Tour.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

I can’t agree with any album that has In Your Face on it. Horrible, lazy, amateur sounding song in my opinion.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

You can't fix Psycho Circus.
steve
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by steve »

Write better songs
Ditch the 'concept'
Lose the self-congratulatory lyrics
Wait to record until everyone's sorted their personal and business differences out and Bob Ezrin is available
Twelve tracks- four each from Gene and Paul, two from Ace, one from Peter (if we must) and It's My Life with Paul and Gene sharing lead vocals
More singles to radio, each with live B-sides from the previous tour
At least five new tracks played in concert
A Revenge meets Destroyer sound (see above re: Ezrin) with all guest musicians credited
Kisscandinavia
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Kisscandinavia »

Strange thing was that when the PS single came out the video wasn't ready yet. If I remember correctly it took a long time before we saw the video on TV. Those days videos were really important, so I thought that it was kind of weird that it wasn't released right away.

PS. Don't fix that album, it's actually a quite good Kiss album.
Brewer
Banned
Banned

Post by Brewer »

As many requested, I called Gene Simmons today to get his comments on the acefrehley.com article that has been the subject of much discussion, question, and alarm. Here is the transcript, incorporating the article in question:

Perhaps the name PSYCHO CIRCUS is an apt title for the new KISS record. Several sources close to AceFrehley.Com, claim this is one of the most disjointed efforts by KISS in history

GS: Not true.

And the in-fighting from various elements of the band are at an all time high.

GS: Far from true. Not true at all. In fact, the band has never gotten along better. And I'm the same guy, remember, who came clean and said when there were problems in Paradise. So I'm the same guy that's telling you the band's doing great, happy, healthy, ready to kick butt.

But this is clearly a divisive time for KISS. Fighting has broken out from various sections. Including fights between the merchandise licensees SONY SIGNATURES and tour management MCGHEE ENTERTAINMENT.

GS: Complete nonsense

SONY SIGNATURES rights to license out and approve various KISS merchandise has expired.

GS: True

And MCGHEE is now fighting to aquire those rights.

GS: Absolutely not true. McGhee can't. It's actually legally...if he tries to gain control of merchandise and licensing, he's not allowed, it's called double dipping. That's why it's fantasy.

Or at least get some control over the approval.KISS Catalog Ltd. also wants more control.

GS: That's always been the case, and why shouldn't we? We are KISS, and who else but KISS should have more control?

As deals completed directly with KISS mean more royalties and payment for KISS Catalog Ltd. The struggle has stalled many new projects for new merchandise

GS: Absolutely not true. Many new projects coming. Any projects we don't like we will stop today, we have stopped in the past, and will stop in the future.

Including apparently the release of the new action figures and the second set of the KISS trading cards.

GS: True. We don't like the deal.

Meanwhile fighting over the new album is at an all time high.

GS: Absolutely not true. Everybody's healthy and happy. In fact it's the first time we've ever sung together on the same song. There's a song called "You Wanted the Best You Got the Best" where everybody takes leads. Other songs, everybody takes a different lead. Paul wrote a great song for Peter.

GS: That's absolutely not true and fantasy for the simple reason the producer has the right to pick the songs, who has said no to most of the songs I've contributed as well as Paul. I was championing a song brought in by Ace, that I felt should be on the record and the producer vetoed it.

GM: So everyone's getting vetoed

GS: Sure, that's why you have a producer, so you don't have to deal with that

One vicious rumor has Gene and Paul saying NO to every single Ace Frehley and Peter Criss track on the new record. Apparently Peter had submitted a ballad, co-written by Tommy Thayer, ironically entitled, TOGETHER. That song has been scrapped and Peter has been told NOT to bother writing any new material.

GS: Half of that is true. Peter should always continue to write new material says the producer and the band, but that song was rejected along with around 40 or 50 other songs.

GM: Is there anything Ace or Peter wrote on there yet?

GS: I'm sure there will be something recorded but we've got almost 20 tunes

GM: Written by...

GS: Oh yeah. But what's gonna be on the record I don't have a clue because we're cutting new songs even now and we have about 15 fully done.

Meanwhile Ace's contributions, Life & Liberty, Shooter and You Make Me Hard are all scrapped. It is unknown at this time whether Ace will bother to resubmit new material.

GS: Not true. Ace is writing right now, I spoke to him yesterday.

And who has been showing up at the recording sessions in Los Angeles? Well the mystery is being kept under very tight wraps, but it seems the new Psycho Circus album, may become one of the most disjointed KISS collaborations since the UNMASKED album in 1980, where not one track contained all 4 original members playing together.

GS: That's never been the case, not from the first record on. This guy sounds like a moron, quote me. This does not sound like a friend of KISS, number one, but also sounds like an idiot who does not have a (Bleepin') clue what they're talking about, because from the first record on the way we've always done it is cut drums, maybe one guitar and then everyone comes in and does their separate parts one at a time and the very last thing that goes on are solos. This guy sounds like he's never written a song, never been in a studio and never been in a band.

GM: I've also gotten messages asking about Bruce Kulick

GS: Yeah. Here's my final comment. We wish everybody on the Internet lots of happiness but we choose to ignore it. I'm the same way with my family too. When everybody wants to get together and chitchat I'm not there. It means nothing. At the end we either give you what you like or you don't like it and we know where we stand. Until then it doesn't count. It's nice to do postings but it doesn't fly, it's just talk. Talk is ok and we wish you the best and hope you continue to talk.

GM: People are getting a bit antsy about it...

GS: That's good, we want you to be antsy. We want you to be antsy, angry, anxious, happy as you want to be. It just doesn't count. The only thing that matters is when we're ready to put out the record. Not before that.

GM: When do you think that will be?

GS: Before the summer. Summer at some point.

GM: I read a posting about July 21

GS: Nothing to do with us. I have no comment about release date because we're in the middle of doing the record. If they know about a release date they know more than we do.

GM: It said something about a boxed set with enhanced CD. Possible?

GS: Maybe. But not a boxed set. We always want to put more stuff in so we're looking at putting more stuff in it. We like toys. We're trying to figure out a way.

GM: Can you talk about the music at all?

GS: No. You'll come down and hear it. Doesn't matter what I say.

GM: Is it living up to your expectations?

GS: Oh yeah. I think people will flip. It's very cool stuff.

GM: Is it working out with Bruce Fairbairn?

GS: Oh yeah, absolutelly, everybody's happy.

GM: What about the July 4 concert?

GS: We're too busy in the studio, honestly. I never said it was gonna happen. As soon as we're ready and it will be soon you'll be able to come down and hear tons of stuff. You'll be the first. I gotta go.
Brewer
Banned
Banned

Post by Brewer »

Bruce Sets the Record Straight
Regarding the Psycho Circus record, as usual lots of rumours are flying on the board regarding the record. I have been involved with some pre-production demos with Paul, which was quite fun. I really do enjoy working with him. I was just helping out and was not asked to appear on the record. How well they are getting along and the other issues people are discussing is not known by me, but I believe this record will shape up to be a great KISS album.
Brewer
Banned
Banned

Post by Brewer »

October 28

MTV Fires Back
On October 22nd KISS Online.net (The Official KISS Website) put up a report concerning MTV's declining to show the new KISS video, Psycho Circus. KISS Online also provided some contact information for fans to reach both MTV and VH1. KISS Asylum wanted to do our part to aid in this effort, and with the help of online fans we were able to supplement the contact information previously presented by KISS Online by supplying some additional, direct (public) email addresses for fans to request the video. We added this information on our "MAKE 'EM GO PSYCHO" radio campaign page early yesterday (October 27th). The KISS Army Online must have struck fast and fierce because within a matter of hours after the information was presented on KISS Asylum we got an email from MTV's Marketing Consultant explicitly detailing why they were NOT going to play the video. What you see below is the email they sent to KISS Asylum.

Dear members of the KISS Army:
We have no plans to play KISS Psycho Circus because KISS fans are not MTV viewers. The market for KISS is so small that we feel that it is not benificial for MTV to play the video. KISS Psycho Circus sales is a great measurement of what MTV viewers think of KISS. The album appealed only to KISS fans and no one else. That is not the MTV audience and we do not plan on playing Psycho Circus until the album goes at least Gold. Thank you and please stop sending these e-mails. Once again, we will not play KISS.
Sincerely
David Garner, MTV Marketing Consultant
Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

Keep Jurney of a 1000 years. Any other song can be replaced if a better songs are available in the outtakes.
The Silver Spoon
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by The Silver Spoon »

How can you not have journey of 1000 years which is in the top Kiss tunes of all time….
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Brewer wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:08 pm From: Gerri Miller
As many requested, I called Gene Simmons today to get his comments on the acefrehley.com article that has been the subject of much discussion, question, and alarm. Here is the transcript, incorporating the article in question:

Perhaps the name PSYCHO CIRCUS is an apt title for the new KISS record. Several sources close to AceFrehley.Com, claim this is one of the most disjointed efforts by KISS in history

GS: Far from true. Not true at all. In fact, the band has never gotten along better. And I'm the same guy, remember, who came clean and said when there were problems in Paradise. So I'm the same guy that's telling you the band's doing great, happy, healthy, ready to kick butt.

But this is clearly a divisive time for KISS. Fighting has broken out from various sections. Including fights between the merchandise licensees SONY SIGNATURES and tour management MCGHEE ENTERTAINMENT.

SONY SIGNATURES rights to license out and approve various KISS merchandise has expired.

GS: Absolutely not true. McGhee can't. It's actually legally...if he tries to gain control of merchandise and licensing, he's not allowed, it's called double dipping. That's why it's fantasy.

Or at least get some control over the approval.KISS Catalog Ltd. also wants more control.

GS: That's always been the case, and why shouldn't we? We are KISS, and who else but KISS should have more control?

As deals completed directly with KISS mean more royalties and payment for KISS Catalog Ltd. The struggle has stalled many new projects for new merchandise

GS: Absolutely not true. Many new projects coming. Any projects we don't like we will stop today, we have stopped in the past, and will stop in the future.

Including apparently the release of the new action figures and the second set of the KISS trading cards.

GS: Absolutely not true. Everybody's healthy and happy. In fact it's the first time we've ever sung together on the same song. There's a song called "You Wanted the Best You Got the Best" where everybody takes leads. Other songs, everybody takes a different lead. Paul wrote a great song for Peter.

GS: That's absolutely not true and fantasy for the simple reason the producer has the right to pick the songs, who has said no to most of the songs I've contributed as well as Paul. I was championing a song brought in by Ace, that I felt should be on the record and the producer vetoed it.

One vicious rumor has Gene and Paul saying NO to every single Ace Frehley and Peter Criss track on the new record. Apparently Peter had submitted a ballad, co-written by Tommy Thayer, ironically entitled, TOGETHER. That song has been scrapped and Peter has been told NOT to bother writing any new material.

GS: Half of that is true. Peter should always continue to write new material says the producer and the band, but that song was rejected along with around 40 or 50 other songs.

GS: Oh yeah. But what's gonna be on the record I don't have a clue because we're cutting new songs even now and we have about 15 fully done.

Meanwhile Ace's contributions, Life & Liberty, Shooter and You Make Me Hard are all scrapped. It is unknown at this time whether Ace will bother to resubmit new material.

And who has been showing up at the recording sessions in Los Angeles? Well the mystery is being kept under very tight wraps, but it seems the new Psycho Circus album, may become one of the most disjointed KISS collaborations since the UNMASKED album in 1980, where not one track contained all 4 original members playing together.

GS: That's never been the case, not from the first record on. This guy sounds like a moron, quote me. This does not sound like a friend of KISS, number one, but also sounds like an idiot who does not have a (Bleepin') clue what they're talking about, because from the first record on the way we've always done it is cut drums, maybe one guitar and then everyone comes in and does their separate parts one at a time and the very last thing that goes on are solos. This guy sounds like he's never written a song, never been in a studio and never been in a band.

GS: Yeah. Here's my final comment. We wish everybody on the Internet lots of happiness but we choose to ignore it. I'm the same way with my family too. When everybody wants to get together and chitchat I'm not there. It means nothing. At the end we either give you what you like or you don't like it and we know where we stand. Until then it doesn't count. It's nice to do postings but it doesn't fly, it's just talk. Talk is ok and we wish you the best and hope you continue to talk.

GS: That's good, we want you to be antsy. We want you to be antsy, angry, anxious, happy as you want to be. It just doesn't count. The only thing that matters is when we're ready to put out the record. Not before that.

GS: Nothing to do with us. I have no comment about release date because we're in the middle of doing the record. If they know about a release date they know more than we do.

GS: Maybe. But not a boxed set. We always want to put more stuff in so we're looking at putting more stuff in it. We like toys. We're trying to figure out a way.

GS: We're too busy in the studio, honestly. I never said it was gonna happen. As soon as we're ready and it will be soon you'll be able to come down and hear tons of stuff. You'll be the first. I gotta go.
Just...... Wow!!!!!
Tito

Post by Tito »

KalB wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:40 pm How would you "fix" Psycho Circus, given what we know about the album?
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

I enjoyed reading those contemporary bits, cheers. Yes, it was evident from the get-go there were plenty of shenanigans going on during the recording of Pyscho Circus, so it's great to see some of those bits and bobs put out there again. I don't think KISS were ready or mentally prepared for the digital age. Minute by minute reports coming from within the studio, fans messaging from outside the studio ("I just saw Bruce Kulick arrive with his guitars!") and so on. It was a difficult time for them to control the narrative.

When the album came out I disliked the circus intro (old hat, loads of folks had done it for decades, but worse, Alice Cooper had literally just done it on his most recent album), but I didn't mind the song.

Then Within started and I remembered getting really annoyed 😅 I was like 'This is COS KISS! Why break up the band if you're frauding the fans??'.

Then I Pledge Allegiance came on and I all but checked out. Now they were doing 1980s KISS.

We were three tracks in and it was already really silly. And really evident Ace and Peter were nowhere near the recording process.

Then Into The Void came on, and as great it was to hear Ace on a KISS album, come on, it's really not a good song. It just isn't. Even worse played live.

Funnily enough, years (and years) later, the only tune I really do appreciate on that record is Journey of 1000 Years. Again, it appears to have Ace and Peter nowhere near it, but it's a really great song and the perfect ending to the album. At the time, I really loved We Are One, but I must've overplayed it, because I don't go near that song anymore.

Yes, what a messy time KISS was in back then.
Tito

Post by Tito »

☝️ Agreed on all points except I never liked "We Are One".
razor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by razor »

Kissoff wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:31 pm

Just...... Wow!!!!!
that actually appeared in metal edge in late 97 or early 98
acesmiddlefinger

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

Not sure on the fixing threads. Tha Kiss albums that have been released served as a snapshot of where the band were at that time. The band had been pulling the wool over our eyes for years with substitute players long before Psycho Circus. Sometimes it worked (Unmasked, Creatures, Destroyer) and sometimes it didn't. We have no clue what quality of songs were presented for PC and what Ace's and Peter's capabilities of playing them was. Many people complain about the sub standard songs on the album but the producer chose them, apparently they were the best of a bad bunch. Fairbairn was kissing certain members feet and this also created conflict. The interview detailed above from Gene was pure fantasy. Is it any wonder that the album is such a mish mash of songs. A token Peter song, a token shared vocal, substitute players, the list goes on
Psycho Circus represents where the band were at the time, fractured and once again on the slide due to old demons rearing their heads. For the record the slam is aimed at all the band, Gene and Paul's controlling nature certainly played a part.
For the record, I loved the title track, and the sonics of the album sound above average to my untrained ear. The album had so much promise but all the contributing factors sank it without trace. Maybe just maybe the band just didn't have another good album in them?
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

You took off the two best songs - We Are One & Journey
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

I remember this interview - just about every question/rumor Gerri inquired about was true. Gene & Paul tanked the band again around this time.
awawaw
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by awawaw »

Just let it go. You cant fix it. Its history
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by d4nugster »

do we really need to quote brewer's post however long it is?
Brewer
Banned
Banned

Post by Brewer »

Yeah what the hell, THREE of the KISS Mensas here quoted the whole post.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Psycho Circus is the only original lineup record that I truly love! Not tinny sounding, like the rest. Rocks harder than the rest. I'll take a song like Psycho Circus over You-hoo-hoo've Got to Choose, any day of the week. My disappointment is in the last 3 tracks on the album. A sequel to Hard Luck Woman would've come across better than a sappy sequel to Beth did, for instance. Anyway, i'm a huge PC fan -- no adjustments needed!
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

d4nugster wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:56 am do we really need to quote brewer's post however long it is?
Deal with it :D
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Bruce wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:17 am Psycho Circus is the only original lineup record that I truly love! Not tinny sounding, like the rest. Rocks harder than the rest. I'll take a song like Psycho Circus over You-hoo-hoo've Got to Choose, any day of the week. My disappointment is in the last 3 tracks on the album. A sequel to Hard Luck Woman would've come across better than a sappy sequel to Beth did, for instance. Anyway, i'm a huge PC fan -- no adjustments needed!
:roll:
Choose_One
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Choose_One »

God, what a travesty of an album, even the shiny, admittedly decent production job couldn't save it.

When Into The Void (which is a half assed throwaway from Ace) is the most KISS-like song on the record, and the only one with all 4 playing you know you're in trouble.

The common consensus is that the title song is a classic, but I don't agree, and the theme of welcome to the show, and circus had been used soooo many times before, WASP, Alice Cooper, Twisted Sister. KISS again copying.

The lack of Ace & Peter, and the cover up was scandalous. I Finally Found My Way & We Are One were total cheese. The repeated lyrical themes of we do it for the fans, and we're all together etc etc, sounded corny then, even before we knew the real truth.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Choose_One wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:44 am even the shiny, admittedly decent production job couldn't save it.
As far as the production goes, the drums sound really dated and bad to me. The snare is almost offensively lame.
gothunder

Post by gothunder »

KalB wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:40 pm I'm sure most of us agree that Psycho Circus did not live up to expectations at the time of its release, nor has it proven to get better with age. The final material was all over the place tonally, and was far from a straight forward classic KISS album. Luckily, we have access to a number of high-quality studio outtakes from those sessions. I think most of this cut material was stronger than what ultimately made the album, so I've put together an alternate track listing that I feel would have been a much better KISS reunion album (all studio session player nonsense aside, of course!).

Psycho Circus - Alternate Track List
1.) Psycho Circus
2.) Sweet & Dirty Love
3.) Into the Void
4.) I Pledge Allegiance to the State of Rock & Roll
5.) I Wanna Rule The World
6.) You Wanted the Best
7.) In Your Face
8.) Body and Soul
9.) It's My Life

Nine songs, with a much more classic rock feel. No Carnival of Souls leftovers, cheesy ballots or Alice Cooper rip-offs. This also utilizes Ace and gives him a more equal share of the vocals, which would have at least given the impression that this was a group effort.

So, what do you think? How would you "fix" Psycho Circus, given what we know about the album?
Not bad. :D
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Choose_One wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:44 am God, what a travesty of an album, even the shiny, admittedly decent production job couldn't save it.

When Into The Void (which is a half assed throwaway from Ace) is the most KISS-like song on the record, and the only one with all 4 playing you know you're in trouble.

The common consensus is that the title song is a classic, but I don't agree, and the theme of welcome to the show, and circus had been used soooo many times before, WASP, Alice Cooper, Twisted Sister. KISS again copying.

The lack of Ace & Peter, and the cover up was scandalous. I Finally Found My Way & We Are One were total cheese. The repeated lyrical themes of we do it for the fans, and we're all together etc etc, sounded corny then, even before we knew the real truth.
Excellent analysis.
Ace of Bass
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Ace of Bass »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:13 pm I can’t agree with any album that has In Your Face on it. Horrible, lazy, amateur sounding song in my opinion.
If it’s any consolation, our version doesn’t have it.
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

jannep17 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:14 pm You can't fix Psycho Circus.
+1
Put the sex in my ex
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Put the sex in my ex »

"You wanted The best"sucked, its one of their worst songs ever. The verse is ok but The chorus is extremly bad. That one and Boomerang.. Within is a ok song but does not fit in on The album att all... Its my life had been perfekt as song number 2... I like the other songs but The mastering sucks... Know some People here hates Desmond bit a radiohit had been Great. I also like Body and soul... Love Pauls catchy songs. I Finally found my way is a Great song bit they should have worked more with Peters voice because its false especially The second time
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

Oy, this album. The "We are awesome, we are one, we are eternal, we are back" nonsense of the songs is somehow even more cliched than Peter's "I'm by myself and on my own and gonna make it!" songs that were stuffed onto Out of Control.

I'd put Peter and Ace on the whole thing, the album would sell because it is KISS, and then Gene and Paul could spend the rest of their lives pointing the finger at them when it stinks.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Nately120 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:07 pm Oy, this album. The "We are awesome, we are one, we are eternal, we are back" nonsense of the songs is somehow even more cliched than Peter's "I'm by myself and on my own and gonna make it!" songs that were stuffed onto Out of Control.

I'd put Peter and Ace on the whole thing, the album would sell because it is KISS, and then Gene and Paul could spend the rest of their lives pointing the finger at them when it stinks.
“Ya know, its interesting. I like the songs, but when 1/2 of your tires are flat you can’t make it across the finish line. It’s kinda like going to a great, gourmet buffet but you can’t eat because you’ve got a stomach ache. Sex is great but if you have a headache - is it really worth it? I give it 4 stars for my songwriting.”
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:12 pm
Nately120 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:07 pm Oy, this album. The "We are awesome, we are one, we are eternal, we are back" nonsense of the songs is somehow even more cliched than Peter's "I'm by myself and on my own and gonna make it!" songs that were stuffed onto Out of Control.

“Ya know, its interesting. I like the songs, but when 1/2 of your tires are flat you can’t make it across the finish line. It’s kinda like going to a great, gourmet buffet but you can’t eat because you’ve got a stomach ache. Sex is great but if you have a headache - is it really worth it? I give it 4 stars for my songwriting.”
"You know, when Ace and Peter did two kilos of blow in the beginning of the session, I had a feeling that this was going to be a bumpy ride."
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by d4nugster »

TwistedTaste wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:39 am
d4nugster wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:56 am do we really need to quote brewer's post however long it is?
Deal with it :D
not much choice i have, do i?

it just takes forever scrolling down. :(
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:13 pm I can’t agree with any album that has In Your Face on it. Horrible, lazy, amateur sounding song in my opinion.
Wayyyyyy better than Into The Void imo
steve

Post by steve »

From what I hear of Gene's demos for this album (I Wanna Rule The World, I Am Yours), he was really going for a Mott The Hoople vibe. I'd much prefer fully realised takes on these songs than Within, We Are One or You Wanted The Best. I love Journey Of 1000 Years, but it needs a better lyric and another verse.

Paul did okay with half of his tunes, although the title cut would benefit greatly from a lyrical makeover. I like I Pledge Allegiance... better than most and would have enjoyed hearing it live. (I missed my chance when they played it on the Australian leg of the '04 tour.) Dreamin' is okay, but its 80s sound and structure is very out of place on an album built around reliving the 70s and I preferred Raise Your Glasses when it was called It's My Life.

If anyone has a lossless copy of Detroit Rock City 98, I would not be averse. ;)
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Psycho Circus EP a.k.a. Fixed Version:
1. Psycho Circus
2. We Are One
3. Journey of 1,000 Years
4. Morpheus Dialogue Remix