Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr brought back the glory.

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr brought back the glory.

Post by d4nugster »

nightwingken wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:07 pm
d4nugster wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:00 pm an argument could indeed be made that bruce kulick, while a great player, was indeed bland in most of his days in KISS.
You can't blame that on Bruce, I am sure he gave them exactly what they asked for.
They did not want anyone that was going to try to take a direction that they did not set.
G & P did not want anyone bringing anything new that did not come from them.
Ezrin knew Bruce could do more.
i don't doubt that for one minute as it's sacred text you can't upstage the big two.
LiveToWin
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by LiveToWin »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:26 am For me, Bruce was boring until Ezrin pushed him on Revenge.

I think Paul and Gene held back Carr too after they stopped working with Michael James Jackson. Creatures and LIU are his best drumming. Yes I know that MJJ produced the drums on Animalize, but the project overall was a Paul production.
I think Eric really shine on Asylum. I have always loved this album, and just put on the 2014 remaster on vinyl and listen to every detail on each track. Just amazing.
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Grand Classic »

LiveToWin wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:56 am
Grand Classic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:26 am For me, Bruce was boring until Ezrin pushed him on Revenge.

I think Paul and Gene held back Carr too after they stopped working with Michael James Jackson. Creatures and LIU are his best drumming. Yes I know that MJJ produced the drums on Animalize, but the project overall was a Paul production.
I think Eric really shine on Asylum. I have always loved this album, and just put on the 2014 remaster on vinyl and listen to every detail on each track. Just amazing.
His playing doesn't do much for me on Asylum, but perhaps that also has to do with the songs not being there for me.
kingotnw
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kingotnw »

So Cruel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:54 am
southernkiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:17 am
So Cruel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:28 am They stabilized the band, but truth be told they never made a great album and this version of the band somewhat struggled during the 80’s.
They struggled in comparison to 70’s KISS, but still had a large enough fan base for albums, music videos, and (smaller) tours.
True, but it still was a struggle. The band wasn’t making money and their salaries were cut. Kiss was barely keeping their head above water during that period.
I don’t get your point. Does that mean unless a band has superstar status they aren’t any good? What you’re saying makes no sense at all. You’re basically pissing all over 99% of the bands that have ever been. Kiss was successful in the 80’s, just not as successful as they were in the 70’s, and there’s nothing wrong with that. They were still equally as successful, and more so in a lot of cases, than all of the popular bands around them. Most bands are not playing stadiums. If your musical tastes only include a band or bands that are playing stadiums, you must listen to a lot of teen pop.
So Cruel
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by So Cruel »

kingotnw wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:38 am
So Cruel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:54 am
southernkiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:17 am
So Cruel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:28 am They stabilized the band, but truth be told they never made a great album and this version of the band somewhat struggled during the 80’s.
They struggled in comparison to 70’s KISS, but still had a large enough fan base for albums, music videos, and (smaller) tours.
True, but it still was a struggle. The band wasn’t making money and their salaries were cut. Kiss was barely keeping their head above water during that period.
I don’t get your point. Does that mean unless a band has superstar status they aren’t any good? What you’re saying makes no sense at all. You’re basically pissing all over 99% of the bands that have ever been. Kiss was successful in the 80’s, just not as successful as they were in the 70’s, and there’s nothing wrong with that. They were still equally as successful, and more so in a lot of cases, than all of the popular bands around them. Most bands are not playing stadiums. If your musical tastes only include a band or bands that are playing stadiums, you must listen to a lot of teen pop.
What are you going on about? Teen pop?

Kiss were struggling during the Kulick/Carr era. Read Lendt’s book. There were no big albums or tours. They were plodding along trying to follow the Bon Jovi’s of the world. If you look at popular hard rock bands of the era, Kiss weren’t really one of them. Mötley Crüe, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, Judas Priest, Guns n Roses, Aerosmith, AC DC....we’re all doing much better business then Kiss in that era.

We can all love the era but to say “Kulick and Carr brought back the glory” may look nice as a headline but it’s pretty far from the truth.
AlmostRockingHuman
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by AlmostRockingHuman »

they made Kiss a stable band again.
love there work on asylum my favorite non make up album with this formation.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Bruce wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:19 pm Image

Now, this is a thread I can really sink my teeth into! Kulick & Carr were the cure for what was ailing KIϟϟ! The equation that worked! And i think if the few holdouts in the KIϟϟ Army took that perspective ... we'd only be that much stronger.
Well I'm onboard. Kool pic.
Australia1980
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Australia1980 »

It was a great lineup for sure. Talent and stability. Two great guys, two excellent playes.

It debuted for many with Animalize Live Uncensored and in a way it peaked with the Hot In the Shade tour.

FAB years, for multiple reasons. Gene and Paul got lucky when they brought those two guys onboard
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Kissoff wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:19 pm Well I'm onboard.
Outstanding, sir!
I knew you were a man of my stripe.
peopleselbow
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by peopleselbow »

3 best live KISS shows I have ever seen and I have seen over 30.

Creatures - Vinnie and Eric Carr

HITS- Bruce and Eric Carr

End of the Road - Eric Singer and Tommy

No Ace, no Peter, no problem.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

shandi777 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:50 pm Love the original Kiss more than anything, but Animalize Uncensored was a beast of a VHS.
:salut:
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Bruce wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:10 am
Kissoff wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:19 pm Well I'm onboard.
Outstanding, sir!
I knew you were a man of my stripe.
:salut: :salut:
kingotnw
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kingotnw »

peopleselbow wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:08 am 3 best live KISS shows I have ever seen and I have seen over 30.

Creatures - Vinnie and Eric Carr

HITS- Bruce and Eric Carr

End of the Road - Eric Singer and Tommy

No Ace, no Peter, no problem.
Did you leave for the Paul songs on this last tour or something? Lol :D I’ve seen them a vast number of times, up until they had Tommy singing Ace songs. Between that and Paul’s voice, no thank you. It’s not that Tommy plays Ace songs. It’s that he plays Ace songs while acting like Ace, and looking like Ace, and playing a sanitized version of Ace’s style.

Though I do think it’s funny when I see a video of Tommy trying to pull off a Bruce or Vinnie solo. It’s pretty awful. He can’t even pull off the I Still Love You solo, and the Tears Are Falling solo is cringe worthy when he tries to play it. At least Ace would know it’s not in his wheelhouse and would just play an Ace solo. Vinnie did this too but for different reasons. But at all times he was Vinnie.

All that said. Tommy seems like a nice enough guy, and a good dude who earned his seat at the table and knows his place in things. Put him in his own makeup and give him his own playing style and I probably would like him. He’s responsible for a lot of the writing on Hot in the Shade, and that’s my favorite overall Kiss album.
Ludwig Paiste 77
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Ludwig Paiste 77 »

The Eric Carr and Bruce Kulick lineup holds a special place for me. It was the lineup that was happening when I was introduced to KISS in 1987. The first show Hot in the shade tour Worcester centrum 1990 and my favorite video Turn on the night also taped at the Worcester centrum.
caligari

Post by caligari »

:gene: :ace: :peter: :paul:
Last edited by caligari on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caligari

Post by caligari »

aceeg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:20 am The 2 together brought back Kiss to its glory!
They were a real band again no more shuffling guitarists, they kicked ass all hard rock like they should be,
this is my 2nd fav lineup of the band after the originals.
they went back to there roots they rocked.
Using Your Words,
“The Glory”
was not brought back until
The 1996 Reunion/World Wide Alive Tour.

The Kulick/Carr lineup were tighter.
Kulick/Singer even tighter than that.

But there has Never been any KISS “Glory”
that did not include Ace, Peter, Gene & Paul.