Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr brought back the glory.

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
aceeg
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr brought back the glory.

Post by aceeg »

The 2 together brought back Kiss to its glory!
They were a real band again no more shuffling guitarists, they kicked ass all hard rock like they should be,
this is my 2nd fav lineup of the band after the originals.
they went back to there roots they rocked.
Anomaly
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr brought back the glory.

Post by Anomaly »

I don't know, I mean, I'm not really hearing Slade or Mott the Hoople in Animalize. Maybe that's just me.
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Grand Classic »

For me, Bruce was boring until Ezrin pushed him on Revenge.

I think Paul and Gene held back Carr too after they stopped working with Michael James Jackson. Creatures and LIU are his best drumming. Yes I know that MJJ produced the drums on Animalize, but the project overall was a Paul production.
So Cruel
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by So Cruel »

They stabilized the band, but truth be told they never made a great album and this version of the band somewhat struggled during the 80’s.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

So Cruel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:28 am They stabilized the band, but truth be told they never made a great album and this version of the band somewhat struggled during the 80’s.
They struggled in comparison to 70’s KISS, but still had a large enough fan base for albums, music videos, and (smaller) tours.
So Cruel
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by So Cruel »

southernkiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:17 am
So Cruel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:28 am They stabilized the band, but truth be told they never made a great album and this version of the band somewhat struggled during the 80’s.
They struggled in comparison to 70’s KISS, but still had a large enough fan base for albums, music videos, and (smaller) tours.
True, but it still was a struggle. The band wasn’t making money and their salaries were cut. Kiss was barely keeping their head above water during that period.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

I have all sympathy for Eric and Bruce, but to be honest, the albums 1985-1989 are the ones I return to the least often.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

I disagree.

For me, what you described was the brief 1.5 year period, 1982-84, that I call TURBO KIZZ.

Vincent & Carr, preferably in makeup, completely on 🔥 fire.

Only other incarnation of the group that can hold a candle to 1974-79 IMHO.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

richardsimmons wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:09 pm I disagree.

For me, what you described was the brief 1.5 year period, 1982-84, that I call TURBO KIZZ.

Do you like Animalize?
richardsimmons

Post by richardsimmons »

southernkiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:11 pm
Do you like Animalize?
Yes. Like not love. 12 out of 24 in the studio discography.
Holmgren
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Holmgren »

For me, they brought stability maybe but not much excitment.
Carr/Vincent on the other hand. WOW!
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Now, this is a thread I can really sink my teeth into! Kulick & Carr were the cure for what was ailing KIϟϟ! The equation that worked! And i think if the few holdouts in the KIϟϟ Army took that perspective ... we'd only be that much stronger.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:26 am For me, Bruce was boring until Ezrin pushed him on Revenge.
Beyond boring.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I can't let this thread end with these "boring" cracks! Because, its not true, for a start. When my friend John first played Asylum for me, I was only superficially aware of KIϟϟ. The record began to play and I haven't been the same, since.

"Who's that playing the solos?" I'd asked. "Bruce Kulick," came the response. I wanted to play that amazingly well on guitar, myself, after that. It made me want to seriously become a rock star. I was sure that I had found my calling. Until I began to play. I took a few lessons, picked some things up, but never really got to the level necessary to impress people.

"OK, I'll focusing on singing ... I'll do that, then." You know what? I can't really 'sing' but I don't sound that bad, actually! ... I was so surprised! But I didn't, and don't have all of the front man qualities required. So ... I kept getting channelled back to reality. And as I try to make my way to the Ordinary World, Bruce Kulick remains as my Guitar Hero.
Last edited by Bruce on Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve

Post by steve »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:26 amFor me, Bruce was boring until Ezrin pushed him on Revenge.
Did your dislike of Asylum and Crazy Nights prevent you from appreciating his work on those albums? MVP on both in my opinion.
DonnaDixon wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:32 pmBeyond boring.
As opposed to couldn't-give-a-fuck-Frehley going through the motions from 96-2000. Yes, very exciting.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

steve wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:26 amFor me, Bruce was boring until Ezrin pushed him on Revenge.
Did your dislike of Asylum and Crazy Nights prevent you from appreciating his work on those albums? MVP on both in my opinion.
As opposed to couldn't-give-a-fuck-Frehley going through the motions from 96-2000. Yes, very exciting.
I never really liked Asylum all that much even though I tried to force myself to like it because it was KISS, but truth be told - I loved Crazy Nights when it came out. I was still a KISS sheep then.

It isn't that I think Bruce isn't talented, because I do think he is talented, but he just doesn't have that guitar hero vibe about him and his personality is boring for a rock band when you are a teenager or young adult. I just don't think he really came alive or got into the groove of things with KISS until Revenge.

You know that I love Whitesnake, so I am sure you can appreciate that in 1987 - John Sykes, Adrian Vandenberg and Viv Campbell were just far and away better than Bruce Kulick. I have always felt that KISS never go after top musicians. Someone like Doug Aldrich should have been in KISS. Not Tommy Thayer.

Having said that, I would LOVE for Gene, Bruce and Eric to start a side project when KISS is done and do an album and small tour.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

I loved the Carr/Kulick lineup. I thought visually they looked great in the band.

..but the Carr/Vincent- Kulick/Singer lineups crushed it.
shandi777

Post by shandi777 »

Love the original Kiss more than anything, but Animalize Uncensored was a beast of a VHS.
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by d4nugster »

an argument could indeed be made that bruce kulick, while a great player, was indeed bland in most of his days in KISS.
nightwingken
Might as well be the Admin!
Location: Celebrating 12 years whining.Complaining since 2001.

Post by nightwingken »

d4nugster wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:00 pm an argument could indeed be made that bruce kulick, while a great player, was indeed bland in most of his days in KISS.
You can't blame that on Bruce, I am sure he gave them exactly what they asked for.
They did not want anyone that was going to try to take a direction that they did not set.
G & P did not want anyone bringing anything new that did not come from them.
Ezrin knew Bruce could do more.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

nightwingken wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:07 pm
d4nugster wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:00 pm an argument could indeed be made that bruce kulick, while a great player, was indeed bland in most of his days in KISS.
You can't blame that on Bruce, I am sure he gave them exactly what they asked for.
They did not want anyone that was going to try to take a direction that they did not set.
This never made sense to me. It's a win for KISS if Bruce or Eric Carr bring something great to the table - be it a song they wrote on their own or a really creative idea.

I am convinced that Paul didn't want anyone else in the band to potentially have a hit song or get credit for something in the band that he had no part of, so he stifled the members of the band from bringing any ideas or songs to the table that they had.
nightwingken
Location: Celebrating 12 years whining.Complaining since 2001.

Post by nightwingken »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:19 pm
nightwingken wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:07 pm
This never made sense to me. It's a win for KISS if Bruce or Eric Carr bring something great to the table - be it a song they wrote on their own or a really creative idea.

I am convinced that Paul didn't want anyone else in the band to potentially have a hit song or get credit for something in the band that he had no part of, so he stifled the members of the band from bringing any ideas or songs to the table that they had.
It had to be a bit of a high wire act. To have to not to shine too much.
Had Bruce or Eric been more insistent on being more, they would have been painted with the Vinnie brush.
Which is not to say that Working with Vinnie was not problematic.
Imagine Kiss Exposed with Eric and Bruce getting more Screen time?
The Monkey and the reporter got more camera time that Bruce and Eric did.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Loved the Bruce and Eric era. To me they didn't bring back the glory. As a teenage fan through those years they more continued it. The glory, in my eyes, never left.
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by woodworm001 »

That was the lineup when I discovered KISS so my favourite line up by far - unlike many on here I think those albums are great and actually Bruce was a very tasteful guitarist, especially compared to the monstrosity of what came before (Ace excluded)

I think the big problem during that era was Paul / Gene holding the others back, Eric especially had a few decent songs that should have made the albums.
awawaw
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by awawaw »

Just love when people make statements that are completely false but in their mind is the truth
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by woodworm001 »

awawaw wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:01 am Just love when people make statements that are completely false but in their mind is the truth
Also known as an opinion - just like whatever your truth is :)
DoggFather

Post by DoggFather »

While it has nothing to do with Bruce and Eric themselves, their era in the band was probably the most boring, unspired version of KISS ever.
curryleaf
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by curryleaf »

Absolutely. My thoughts exactly. I can't for the life of me work out how anyone could think that's not the case. COTN and LIU are easily the best Kiss albums not released under the banner of the original four.

What I would say about the Kulick/Carr line-up is that it was the most successful, commercially, here in the UK. Crazy, Crazy Nights and GGRARTY are probably their best known songs here, I'd say most people know them more than even IWMFLY, and certainly the biggest selling. Even the Reason To Live and Turn On The Night singles sold (relatively) well.
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

Bruce wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:19 pm Image
More fun from the Kulick-Carr lineup.

AceTattoo
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AceTattoo »

I love Eric and Bruce.. but being a fan since 74, to me, the 80’s nothing KISS did stood out in any way with the plethora of hair bands.. I bought all the albums since I was loyal to my favorite band.. but none of them were more than a spin or two, and I was onto other bands.. I think once Paul decided to sing 12 octaves higher than normal people.. it really turned me off…
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

FlamingRuth wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:04 am More fun from the Kulick-Carr lineup.
Now, this thread is getting back on track ...
I encourage the rest of you to follow suit--!!
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

steve wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 pm
Kindly remind me of the statement that I made that would serve to render your response non-irrelevant.
wjs296
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by wjs296 »

Both performed well with Kiss during their time in the band. I don't agree with the "brought back the glory" statement. The 80's version of Kiss was nowhere near as popular as the iconic 70's run the band had. They struggled financially for much of the 80's despite a few hits on MTV and radio.
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

Bruce wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:25 am
FlamingRuth wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:04 am More fun from the Kulick-Carr lineup.
Now, this thread is getting back on track ...
I encourage the rest of you to follow suit--!!
I'll drink to that!

Kissologist

Post by Kissologist »

A very solid lineup, but unfortunately they couldn't settle on a proper music identity.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Kissologist wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:46 am A very solid lineup, but unfortunately they couldn't settle on a proper music identity.
And, by far most importantly, Gene and Paul were almost completely out of ideas.

Both the Creativity and the Cool were gone.
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

Oh what the hell, let's get the whole band in on this one.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Bruce & Eric compare their respective hotties ...

battra

Post by battra »

There's a lot of great moments in that era, but no great albums in my opinion.

Tell ya this though, I'd do a lot of things for a vinyl pressing of Detroit 90.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Bruce wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:51 pm Bruce & Eric compare their respective hotties ...

Wow!! Who is Eric's girl??
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

The Carrie everyone on the boards fawns over.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Bruce wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:29 pm The Carrie everyone on the boards fawns over.
Thanks. I know very little about the various guys' personal lives, past or present.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Me neither. But certain things about it get brought up with some regularity. For example: who reading these boards doesn't know about Rachael? You'd be hard-pressed to find such a person ...
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

Bruce wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:19 pm Image

Now, this is a thread I can really sink my teeth into! Kulick & Carr were the cure for what was ailing KIϟϟ! The equation that worked! And i think if the few holdouts in the KIϟϟ Army took that perspective ... we'd only be that much stronger.
Agreed. We've had some discussion about this era of the band.
richardsimmons

Post by richardsimmons »

curryleaf wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:57 am

Absolutely. My thoughts exactly. I can't for the life of me work out how anyone could think that's not the case. COTN and LIU are easily the best Kiss albums not released under the banner of the original four.
I’ll drink to that! 👍 🍻
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Bruce wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:52 pm Me neither. But certain things about it get brought up with some regularity. For example: who reading these boards doesn't know about Rachael? You'd be hard-pressed to find such a person ...
I know only that she's Ace's ex and was allegedly a bit crazy.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

... That's the one.
hooligan3
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by hooligan3 »

I've felt for a while now that Eric Carr saved KISS. He brought new energy and enthusiasm to the band that Paul and Gene needed. Bringing in Bruce allowed them to continue and be moderately successful. If they had gotten another unproven, hot shit guitarist that didn't blend in with Gene and Paul, I don't think they would have survived the '80s. If Gene and Paul had let Eric and Bruce really step out and shine, I'm convinced they could have given the younger bands a run for their money. Just listening to some of the songs Eric wrote that were rejected by Paul, tells me he could write a hit.
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

You mean Eric and Vinnie
ypke

Post by ypke »

That's The line up that got me into Kiss. In retrospect they could've given the guys more leeway and maybe that would've made things even better.
What hurt Kiss more is that they had great songs on CN with great production, but not the right production. I love CN but a little less glossy and a bit more bite could still be radio friendly and appealing to the rock masses. But that's hindsight, my fandom wouldn't be there without CCN, so I'm good!