Magic update?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Magic uodate?

Post by Kissoff »

rwgriffith wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:39 pm I really have given up on this ever coming out.
I'm pullin for ya buddy.
balish
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by balish »

Wichita77 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:41 pm A book of this size 4/4 (full color) would typically need 4 to 6 weeks to produce without incurring rush charges. That many pages on coated stock without being sewn would likely be an issue too. The spreads he shows have images that go right into the gutter that would be impossible to see without some kind of lay flat binding.

I'm also concerned by the price point. 600 pages for $100 doesn't sound right either. I've got full color books in the 256 page range that cost that much.

Sad. People like this hurt the people who need crowdfunding to get their legitimate projects off the ground.
You are correct on all counts.
1. The “project” was a pipe dream.
2. The numbers don’t add up.
3. Making a book is expensive.
4. He caused a lot of damage on many levels.
slipkid69
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by slipkid69 »

I feel like this video could be made about this book :lol:

AceTattoo
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AceTattoo »

turbodrive wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:23 pm
Doose wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:03 pm
SomethingSeemLahr wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:21 pm If he had sent his completed files to the printer (if he even knows how), he’d be shouting it from the rooftops. It’s the ultimate “foolproof” scam. He knows that suing him is a net loss for anyone who has purchased even half a dozen copies of his crappy, ill-conceived “book.” Most people will say “screw it” and move on, and he keeps his $250K.

Prediction: “Printer delays beyond my control” in the fall, followed by bankruptcy in the spring. But new orders will be accepted till the end.
I think the "printer delays" sounds like something he'd legitimately say to trash the project, but I think he's kept most of the $250k for personal use, and very little went to the book.

I think it would be interesting if someone investigated how many of the photographers whose work he said would be included were ever paid licensing fees. It would be a simple email to a couple of them directly asking if they had been paid licensing fees for their photos for MAGIC. Surely they can't be happy to have their assets dragged through the mud like this. Most of them have websites with Contact buttons.
Actually, this occurred to me, but the photographers he's talked about are professionals and would know better than to release work on a promise. My guess is that they were all paid as agreed, but the money is gone. And...it went to buy Ros an enormous pile of rare KISS photos for his own personal collection (that he apparently sells for high $$ amounts to other collectors).

Repeating myself yet again....I don't think there is a book; just an idea for one.

Being a photographer myself, I highly doubt they sold him the rights outright.. was licensed for either a certain time.. or this single project with a time frame involved.. I’m willing to bet the licensing for some of the photos has run out.. now he doesn’t have the money to pony up for new license..
SomethingSeemLahr
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by SomethingSeemLahr »

From 2019: Ros says he is literally working on it every single day. Maybe he types one character per day?

11:58 am: Rolls out of bed
12:05 pm: Nap
3:30 pm: Opens his MAGIC InDesign file. Types sentence fragment.
3:31 pm: Cracks knuckles. “Whew! That was exhausting!”
3:32 pm: Thumb twiddling and snacking
3:45 pm: Nap (has nightmare that he has over-represented Gene and Paul in MAGIC photos).
4:30 pm: Sits down at computer. “Uh oh — writer’s block! …”
4:31 pm: “I wonder what’s happening on Facebook?”

TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

SomethingSeemLahr wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:27 am From 2019: Ros says he is literally working on it every single day. Maybe he types one character per day?

3:45 pm: Nap (has nightmare that he has over-represented Gene and Paul in MAGIC photos).

Don’t trust anyone in a friggin Genesis shirt
SomethingSeemLahr
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

I think someone here already made the comparison, but all I can picture is George Constanza working on the Penske file.

GrapeApe64
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by GrapeApe64 »

I'm waiting on, "Delays at the printer due to Covid." :D
alivecatman
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by alivecatman »

SomethingSeemLahr wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:40 am I think someone here already made the comparison, but all I can picture is George Constanza working on the Penske file.

Oh my god! This is perfect.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

I guess those complaints to law enforcement and local tv new stories really worked. Boy was i wrong. Good Job, guys !!!!
KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by KISSFACE »

TwistedTaste wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:32 am Don’t trust anyone in a friggin Genesis shirt
Did he really prattle on about it for over 25 minutes? Must be exhausting. One of these should feature him on a big yacht out on the high seas, absconding from anymore updates.
Doose

Post by Doose »

Why would you pay to license photos until you had a mock-up of the book and knew exactly what photos you were going to use?

I also noticed that more and more people are asking for updates on the Facebook page. I think even the most patient supporters are getting restless now with the non-answers.
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

TwistedTaste wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:32 am
SomethingSeemLahr wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:27 am From 2019: Ros says he is literally working on it every single day. Maybe he types one character per day?

Don’t trust anyone in a friggin Genesis shirt

Wait a second, no reason to be dragging Peter Gabriel (the opposite of KISS in the area of integrity) into this.
ChiptTooth67
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by ChiptTooth67 »

MAGIC……it’s an illusion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

sicksickphil wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 am I guess those complaints to law enforcement and local tv new stories really worked. Boy was i wrong. Good Job, guys !!!!
Did anyone actually do that yet?
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

wayfarer wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:53 pm My apologies in advance if this has been asked...has anyone contacted Gene or Paul about this guy? We are talking serious money here which fans have been ripped off...
Ive thought about this once or twice. My guess is that G&P are well aware of this but wont say or do anything yet. It’s possible when there’s 100% closure and acknowledgement of the non delivery of the product they may something. So when there’s a final announcement of the books failure, and it can’t be delivered - and/or the author cuts and runs with all remaining funds (still my bet) - that’s when it’s possible they may say something. When its fully over.

But that something is likely to be along the lines of -
“Please only trust KISS product from proper Official Sources or directly from us. We can’t stop a “fan” necessarily from saying they want to write a book on KISS, and in this world today we can’t even stop them collecting money, even hundreds of thousands of dollars from you - our fans - even if they are completely ill equipped to be able to deliver that product. Please be aware of this and only buy from us or official channels“
probably something like that.

There’ll be KISS product for years to come, so they are likely to be able to direct interest in KISS product; books etc, through their Official channels. So it’ll be a bit of a cautionary tale/ warning from them in regards to this mess.

I just hope the despicable lying thieving scoundrel who orchestrated the scam is held to some sort of account in the end..
torgotheme
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by torgotheme »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:08 am
sicksickphil wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 am I guess those complaints to law enforcement and local tv new stories really worked. Boy was i wrong. Good Job, guys !!!!
I'll still say that if anyone's owed a refund, contact the Texas AG and/or consumer rights organizations with the facts of your case, and follow up weekly. Also, band with others who are also owed money from this fiasco. Contacting the local news won't do jack shit.

In the end, Ros may file bankruptcy and no action will result in actual refunds, but if the proper authorities are contacted, at least the facts of this disaster will be on record.
strutter78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by strutter78 »

I’ve watched Ros’ 2019 video a couple of times. It’s kinda hard to believe it’s been that long since he released it. He comes across as annoyed at that time. I’d like to know the truth. Especially regarding the allegations that he might could be selling photos he doesn’t own to others. Including ones that might be in the supposed Magic book. I was suspicious about Ros and this book for years, but I wasn’t exactly sure why. I guess cause we never saw much progress on the book. I can’t imagine anyone supporting Ros at this point.
KISS#1

Post by KISS#1 »

Just a few hours ago...

B*** E*********
It's almost August, any updates?
· Reply · 4h

Author
MAGIC - KISS Kronicles 1973 to 1983
Still working on it.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

torgotheme wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:15 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:08 am
I'll still say that if anyone's owed a refund, contact the Texas AG and/or consumer rights organizations with the facts of your case, and follow up weekly. Also, band with others who are also owed money from this fiasco. Contacting the local news won't do jack shit.

In the end, Ros may file bankruptcy and no action will result in actual refunds, but if the proper authorities are contacted, at least the facts of this disaster will be on record.
yeah, because nobody has heard about this yet.
Di3go
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Di3go »

By this point in this forum history, Magic's threads beacme the new wigs threads.
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

KISS#1 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:01 pm Just a few hours ago...

B*** E*********
It's almost August, any updates?
· Reply · 4h

Author
Still working on it.

That should calm your concerns.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:34 pm I can't wait to watch the 3 night A&E documentary about Magic.
I would only participate if I was offered an amount that isn't insulting plus final editing rights.
wezze
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wezze »

SomethingSeemLahr
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

wezze wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:36 pm Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And don't try calling him ...
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by d4nugster »

redinthesky wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:20 pm
d4nugster wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:39 pm
redinthesky wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:28 pm
Anomaly wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:15 pm

They probably don't/wouldn't care.
Like Peter Parker once said, they'll fail to see how that's their problem.
well they ought to realize too that "with great fandom comes great responsibility."
But G&P are not responsible, even if they don't particularly care. They may clear themselves of any connection in a statement if this grows in size, and especially if they were asked for help in it or sent a few C&D orders, but in their heads they'd probably be thinking "How did this regular Joe-Schmo guy actually get a quarter-million for selling something that doesn't even exist?"
actually, that is my thought too. i was just being sorta smart alecky or something with my reply.
KISS#1

Post by KISS#1 »

Latest posts.

T***** B***
Ros almost August 2021! All wanna know will it finally ship?
· Reply · 8h

Author
Still working on it
· Reply · 1h
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

Come on
DoggFather

Post by DoggFather »

KISS#1 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:26 am Latest posts.

T***** B***
Ros almost August 2021! All wanna know will it finally ship?
· Reply · 8h

Author
Still working on it
· Reply · 1h
Wow, that was a lot of info!

I don't understand why people get so worked up about his replies??

They are clear and give a lot of info.
Julien
Whee Wan

Post by Julien »

image.png
Like a contractor from hell. Flippant, evasive, cavalier, noncommittal.

He thinks he owes people nothing, not even respect or any sign that he is actually slaving away rather than jacking off on FB identifying photos for people for endorphin-releasing "like" climaxes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Julien wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:48 am Flippant, evasive, cavalier, noncommittal. He thinks he owes people nothing, not even respect.
aka definition of a con-artist.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

It's been said hundreds of times...there is no book.
turbodrive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by turbodrive »

Eddie Van Hazel wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:49 am It's been said hundreds of times...there is no book.
Nope....just an idea for one that probably hasn't been touched in ages.

And now, Ros sits on a massive, world-class collection of rare KISS images, courtesy of everyone who ordered "the book."
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

Ros, I know you're reading this so tell us how does it feel to have no conscience at all?
turbodrive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by turbodrive »

Here is a excerpt from Ros' FB page from last August 18th...almost a year ago:

This preview is to show just a small portion of the work completed on this book. 400 pages are done so we still have another 150 to do. The bonus Phantom book is done. We hope to be at the finish line and ready to send all completed files to the printer by mid-October. The printing will take about 5 weeks so we should be able to begin shipping in late November. Please remember, these are realistic estimates, not promises. You must believe when I say I am working as hard as I can to get it done as fast as I can without sacrificing quality.

As I'm sure most of you know, it was accompanied by a video presentation of some low-res "sample pages." I was told that those sample pages were not work that was ready to be sent to the printer. My guess is that, even if any of the above statement were true, nothing more has been worked on in the past year. If Ros were sincere and telling the truth, he'd be completely transparent; provide an update once a month with a specific progress report.

That's why I don't believe there is a book, but only an idea for one that's been all but abandoned.
Stanley! You look so cute
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Stanley! You look so cute »

turbodrive wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:55 am
You must believe when I say

gottaRockRockRawk
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by gottaRockRockRawk »

This situation is very similar to one in my own life.

I am a member of a World War II fraternal group comprised of the last few living servicemen of a bomber group (the youngest is 95 years old). In 1989 they contracted with a well known military author to write the story of their squadron during the war. In those days there were over 450 living servicemen in the group - now there are just five.

The author originally said the book would be finished within 18 months. He also solicited photos, letters, artifacts and whatnot from the guys, who willingly contributed to what they believed was going to be their "story."

Well, 18 months came and went, and the author told them that he "was still working on it." Sound familiar?

Another year passed. Then another, then five, then ten. Each time, promises were made, and not kept. It was a major event for the this group of men. They felt betrayed, lied to, etc. Review of the contract showed that the author never promised a finish date, so he could keep delaying with no penalty. And he did.

In 2016 the book finally appeared. By then, all but ten of the guys and their wives were dead. Some of them never received back their letters, photos, etc. And when the book did show up, the guys didn't give a damn anymore.

This Ros guy is in good company. There are others out there like him.

A technical point: the WWII book ended up over 700 pages and had to be split into two volumes. Even so, the paper is very thin. The binding feels weak, despite being professionally printed. This KISS book, if it's 600+ pages, and if it ever appears, is probably going to be very similar. If you still think it's going to come out, keep your expectations low.
Doose

Post by Doose »

turbodrive wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:55 am Here is a excerpt from Ros' FB page from last August 18th...almost a year ago:

This preview is to show just a small portion of the work completed on this book. 400 pages are done so we still have another 150 to do. The bonus Phantom book is done. We hope to be at the finish line and ready to send all completed files to the printer by mid-October. The printing will take about 5 weeks so we should be able to begin shipping in late November. Please remember, these are realistic estimates, not promises. You must believe when I say I am working as hard as I can to get it done as fast as I can without sacrificing quality.

As I'm sure most of you know, it was accompanied by a video presentation of some low-res "sample pages." I was told that those sample pages were not work that was ready to be sent to the printer. My guess is that, even if any of the above statement were true, nothing more has been worked on in the past year. If Ros were sincere and telling the truth, he'd be completely transparent; provide an update once a month with a specific progress report.

That's why I don't believe there is a book, but only an idea for one that's been all but abandoned.
If 400 pages were truly done, at this point I'd recommend he make it a 2-part book and print the first half, along with the Phantom book, and send those out, and just say he's sorry, he miscalculated, and the second half will have to be purchased separately. Doing it this way, it would be cheaper to print, cheaper to ship, and it still gives a big chunk of the book to everyone. I think 95%+ of the people would be happy receiving that.

Saying he "won't compromise his vision" is just another way of saying he wants to be an asshole about it. It's time he just does what's right. His "vision" is irrelevant.
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

turbodrive wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:55 am

Oooh Yeah, Oooh Yeah ?!?

Your book's not a jewel in the rough,
You went and stole all this stuff,
For our money, you’ll be in court real soon..

Meet, meet you in the AG’s room
Meet, meet you in the AG’s room
For our money, you’ll be in court real soon.. Yeaaaahhh.. :gene:
KISS#1

Post by KISS#1 »

I guess the book won't be shipping next month.

E*** S*******
MAGIC - KISS Kronicles 1973 to 1983 Will you be giving us an update in August to let us know that the book won't be shipping in August?
· Reply · 14m

Author
As I stated in this very post, I will update when there is something significant to report. Until then, work continues.
· Reply · 10m
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

The balls on this guy to take that tone when it was supposed to be done over fives years ago. Unreal.
Stanley! You look so cute
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Stanley! You look so cute »

KISS#1 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:58 pm I guess the book won't be shipping next month.

E*** S*******
MAGIC - KISS Kronicles 1973 to 1983 Will you be giving us an update in August to let us know that the book won't be shipping in August?
· Reply · 14m

Author
As I stated in this very post, I will update when there is something significant to report. Until then, work continues.
· Reply · 10m
The way Ros talks down to people in this condescending but annoyed tone makes him sound like a real piece of work. He treats everyone with the same lack of respect and decency. He's justifying being evasive with "Can't you see I'm busy working in your damn book?!" and making the people asking the questions feel bad. He was given a quarter of a million dollars in good faith and this is his way of dealing with those people. I don't understand how you'd get to be that cold and detached.
shandi777

Post by shandi777 »

Stanley! You look so cute wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:07 pm
KISS#1 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:58 pm I guess the book won't be shipping next month.

E*** S*******
· Reply · 14m

Author
· Reply · 10m
The way Ros talks down to people in this condescending but annoyed tone makes him sound like a real piece of work. He treats everyone with the same lack of respect and decency. He's justifying being evasive with "Can't you see I'm busy working in your damn book?!" and making the people asking the questions feel bad. He was given a quarter of a million dollars in good faith and this is his way of dealing with those people. I don't understand how you'd get to be that cold and detached.
I would think it is significant that he is missing a deadline AGAIN. This guy is such a disappointment on so many levels.
nfarend

Post by nfarend »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:04 am Ros, I know you're reading this so tell us how does it feel to have no conscience at all?
Furthermore, you're a dad and this is what you teach your children? How could you live with yourself?
You're a joke and a pathetic liar.
battra

Post by battra »

He really sold something big.

He had a really unique idea.

Sadly.. he's not up to the task and now he's backpeddling all over the place.

I'm sorry for you dudes who lost your ducats.
StarChildBlade

Post by StarChildBlade »

I honestly think that the delays are because there are honestly too many photos and too much minutiae entries that 500 pages wasn’t going to be enough space for the proposed content. And now he’s paralyzed because he doesn’t know how to deliver something he didn’t foresee needing as much space as it actually requires for this particular undertaking. And the pride is too strong to just cower and give people their money back.

I still think he can deliver the book. But I don’t think he realized the magnitude and cost of the thing…and now doesn’t know what to do because he can’t cover the remaining expenses…

Ros, let someone help you. It’s never too late to save this thing. Get on track. You’re a good guy who got lost and is drowning. Find a lifeline and take it. Come out on top with that KISS magic Power.
strutter78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by strutter78 »

Being that he got a credit in the A&E doc, he is on cloud 9. Until the guy is stripped or his title as a Kiss photo expert, he will not suffer for ripping people off. Whoever involved him in the doc made a mistake. I’m not a “cancel” person, but he deserves to lose his place on in the Kiss community. He can’t be trusted for anything. He’s a fraud.
Brewer
Banned
Banned

Post by Brewer »

StarChildBlade wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:29 pm I honestly think that the delays are because there are honestly too many photos and too much minutiae entries that 500 pages wasn’t going to be enough space for the proposed content.
He already announced that it’s now going to be ”just over 600 pages”. That’s verbatim from an update on his Facebook.
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

1 hour ago....

Question:
MAGIC - KISS Kronicles 1973 to 1983 can we get a status? I’m not giving up on this but I’d like an ETA. Thanks.

Answer:
There's still work to be done and I'm trying to get it done as soon as possible.
Den Dennis
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Den Dennis »

misterhand80 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:27 pm 1 hour ago....

Question:
MAGIC - KISS Kronicles 1973 to 1983 can we get a status? I’m not giving up on this but I’d like an ETA. Thanks.

Answer:
There's still work to be done and I'm trying to get it done as soon as possible.
That reply has worn out Ros! Pushback to Nov coming in 3..2..1