Was Bill Aucoin Ever Considered For The Reunion Tour?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Doose
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Was Bill Aucoin Ever Considered For The Reunion Tour?

Post by Doose »

Anyone read if Bill Aucoin was ever considered to manage KISS for the Reunion Tour in 1996? Was Bill ever asked if he was angry or upset that he wasn't picked or considered? He would have only been 53 in '96 when the reunion happened, and he managed other acts up until his death in 2010.
norsemen
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Re: Was Bill Aucoin Ever Considered For The Reunion Tour?

Post by norsemen »

According to several interviews, Doc was the only manager would had the vision for what the reunion tour eventually became.
ACESTATION
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by ACESTATION »

I think 53 was considered a bit old back then but we all realize now in 2021 that it is young in our world.
Last edited by ACESTATION on Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
tolvis
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by tolvis »

Bill was the first one asked to manage them but declined to participate. I asked him about this when I interviewed him in 2004 and he confirmed it. He wanted to keep his memories and not go down that road once again.
ACESTATION

Post by ACESTATION »

tolvis wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:25 am Bill was the first one asked to manage them but declined to participate. I asked him about this when I interviewed him in 2004 and he confirmed it. He wanted to keep his memories and not go down that road once again.

No amount of money would be worth going down that road again. Bill made the right decision especially knowing his years were limited.
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

ACESTATION wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:24 am I think 53 was considered a bit old back then but we all realize now in 2021 that it is young in our world.
Doc was 46 in '96, so he wasn't a young manager either.
lord71

Post by lord71 »

ACESTATION wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:29 am
tolvis wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:25 am Bill was the first one asked to manage them but declined to participate. I asked him about this when I interviewed him in 2004 and he confirmed it. He wanted to keep his memories and not go down that road once again.

No amount of money would be worth going down that road again. Bill made the right decision especially knowing his years were limited.
I think that he regretted it. And he probably would be alive today if he knew about his cancer
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

ACESTATION wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:24 am I think 53 was considered a bit old back then but we all realize now in 2021 that it is young in our world.
And 53's considered old, today! Some things never change.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

Bruce wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:21 am
And 53's considered old, today! Some things never change.
No age should seem old to you. You have said that you plan on living forever! :wink:
norsemen
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by norsemen »

In this interview from 1997, Bill Aucoin didn’t claim so. In fact, he said he was out of the business after Billy Idol. He says he had lunch with Gene in 1997, but for other purposes.

http://www.gcent.info/kissaholics/intvi ... aucoin.htm

In several interviews, both Paul and Gene says that Doc MaGhee was the first choice.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/doc-mcghee-kiss-makeup/
tolvis
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by tolvis »

norsemen wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:56 am
In this interview from 1997, Bill Aucoin didn’t claim so. In fact, he said he was out of the business after Billy Idol. He says he had lunch with Gene in 1997, but for other purposes.

http://www.gcent.info/kissaholics/intvi ... aucoin.htm

In several interviews, both Paul and Gene says that Doc MaGhee was the first choice.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/doc-mcghee-kiss-makeup/
Strange. I just listened to it and he really claims he was asked. I'll post a snippet of the audio later today.
KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by KISSFACE »

I remember fans in the forums getting upset at the renewed merchandising, the “overkill” — but i also remember Bill commenting he’d have done even more of that! 😄

(I wonder if he would have pushed them to invest more in the staging — to make it a proper modernized Love Gun stage that looked the part — like the Bally Pinball art come to life!)
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

KISSFACE wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:05 am I remember fans in the forums getting upset at the renewed merchandising, the “overkill” — but i also remember Bill commenting he’d have done even more of that! 😄

(I wonder if he would have pushed them to invest more in the staging — to make it a proper modernized Love Gun stage that looked the part — like the Bally Pinball art come to life!)
After Intrepid all along I thought we'd be getting the modernized Love Gun stage. Very disappointing.
tolvis
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by tolvis »

Here's what he said that afternoon in 2004 when I talked to him:

Kissest
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Kissest »

I asked Gene about Bill and he said .. why would I do that we did that already. I said yeah and he help make you famous. Gene looked at me and said but now Bill is not the same Bill.
UltraCynic
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by UltraCynic »

tolvis wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:14 am Here's what he said that afternoon in 2004 when I talked to him:

Interesting… Thanks for sharing this.
Supertrooper
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Supertrooper »

We all know we shouldn't always trust Gene or Paul, but I also think we shouldn't trust Bill Aucoin 100 per cent either. For one thing I remember him claiming KISS used a keyboard live, for "I Was Made For Loving You" back in 1979-80. I am pretty sure it was in a norwegian TV documentary about KISS in 2008 or 2009. Anyway, the interviewer asked him if he had heard right, and Bill laughed and said "sure, we did". And back home I went "hmmmm....don't think he remembers right"

I am however sure it was in the norwegian Tv special that I first heard talk of KISS 2.0. That KISS could exist without G & P. They both were interview for the doc, but separately. It was Gene who claimed these plans for the future. The interviewer nearly fell off his chair hearing this. I remember Gene smiling his "See, I am a shameless genius" smile with his sunglasses and stupid cap on, and even adding there was gonna be a TV show to pick out the new members. The best part however, is that when they interviewed Paul and he was confronted with these plans, he just he rolled his eyes, smiled and said "That's just Gene speaking to shock and get attention. There is not gonna be a KISS without Gene and me"

So who knows....
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

Bill did like to tell tall tales. By 2004 I wouldn’t have taken what he said as factual
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

I was just thinking this.

Nowadays it’s common to see rock stars in their 70s. In the 1990s, 50s seemed very old at the time.

Keith Richards was 52 for a majority of 1996.
Hipster1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Hipster1 »

When Doc managed Bon Jovi, G & P spoke with him when both bands were at the same hotel ….according to Doc they asked about management ….he said when you are going to put the make-up back in we can talk…that’s when the seed was planted …Bill wasn’t considered …ever
caligari

Post by caligari »

Kissest wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:19 am I asked Gene about Bill and he said .. why would I do that we did that already. I said yeah and he help make you famous. Gene looked at me and said but now Bill is not the same Bill.
To that I would hav said:
“And YOUR the SAME Gene?”
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

southernkiss wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:50 am No age should seem old to you. You have said that you plan on living forever!
All is going according to plan!
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

Bruce wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:51 am
southernkiss wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:50 am No age should seem old to you. You have said that you plan on living forever!
All is going according to plan!
I hope you will teach me how to live forever! Will you sail on the Kruise with me and give me lessons?
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Want to live FOREVER? You just have to make it to 2050 ...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/5587710/h ... ve-forever
weboes
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by weboes »

Didn't Paul once say something about them considering bringing Bill back?