for those that have the GS Vault

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
KISSworld1972
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

for those that have the GS Vault

Post by KISSworld1972 »

I took the plunge when Rhino had the GS Vault sale on Father's Day weekend before they sold out. Well, it arrived in 2 shipments via UPS yesterday (Saturday) and I'm pretty happy with it. It came with the basics: Gene figure, gold coin, luggage tag thingy and the book with 11 CD's. No extras in the 'secret compartment' as expected so I'm adding my own lil' goodies.

The only thing is the light wiring strip doesn't turn on when the Vault door is opened. I see a black plastic compartment on the upper right behind the light trigger mechanism. I'm assuming a battery goes there? I can't get it open without fear of breaking it. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Otherwise, man what a nice and massive package! The book itself is very well done. 8)

GS Vault 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
indyfanmc
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Re: for those that have the GS Vault

Post by indyfanmc »

I had to replace the battery in mine because mine barely lit up.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

I don’t have the Vault but I’m glad you’re enjoying it & that corner of your room is very cool. 👍
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by jannep17 »

KISSworld1972 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:42 am I took the plunge when Rhino had the GS Vault sale on Father's Day weekend before they sold out. Well, it arrived in 2 shipments via UPS yesterday (Saturday) and I'm pretty happy with it. It came with the basics: Gene figure, gold coin, luggage tag thingy and the book with 11 CD's. No extras in the 'secret compartment' as expected so I'm adding my own lil' goodies.

The only thing is the light wiring strip doesn't turn on when the Vault door is opened. I see a black plastic compartment on the upper right behind the light trigger mechanism. I'm assuming a battery goes there? I can't get it open without fear of breaking it. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Otherwise, man what a nice and massive package! The book itself is very well done. 8)

GS Vault 2.jpg
What did it run you, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm tempted to get it but only if I find it at a good price.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

jannep17 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:42 am
KISSworld1972 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:42 am I took the plunge when Rhino had the GS Vault sale on Father's Day weekend before they sold out. Well, it arrived in 2 shipments via UPS yesterday (Saturday) and I'm pretty happy with it. It came with the basics: Gene figure, gold coin, luggage tag thingy and the book with 11 CD's. No extras in the 'secret compartment' as expected so I'm adding my own lil' goodies.

GS Vault 2.jpg

There was a sale for $500 about a month back. After taxes and shipping it came out to about $600.

viewtopic.php?t=142298
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

joma5477 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:43 am

GS Vault 2.jpg

There was a sale for $500 about a month back. After taxes and shipping it came out to about $600.

viewtopic.php?t=142298
Oh, now I remember. Still a bit steep for me, I'm afraid.
Miss Kitty
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Miss Kitty »

I don't have one but if it gets cheap enough I will get one. Yours looks cool where you have it!
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Congrats!!!
KISSworld1972

Post by KISSworld1972 »

indyfanmc wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:55 am I had to replace the battery in mine because mine barely lit up.
How do you get the battery door thingy to open? What type battery does it take?
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

I’m 236 kms away from my vault until Friday afternoon otherwise I’d take a look. I haven’t opened mine in months, as I transferred the songs onto a flash drive and mostly listen in my car.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

GS Vault 2.jpg
Just got mine...it does take batteries and they're not included. The compartment slides open, from left to right. Press down on the left side of the cover and slide it to the right. If you lay the Vault on its back in a bright room or use a flashlight you should see 4 little raised lines on the compartment cover your thumb can get some grip on to slide it off. It takes 2 AA batteries...
kmints5723
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by kmints5723 »

joma5477 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:27 pm

GS Vault 2.jpg
Just got mine...it does take batteries and they're not included. The compartment slides open, from left to right. Press down on the left side of the cover and slide it to the right. If you lay the Vault on its back in a bright room or use a flashlight you should see 4 little raised lines on the compartment cover your thumb can get some grip on to slide it off. It takes 2 AA batteries...
MY vault lights up bright since getting it January 2018.
I guess vaults bought now from Rhino don’t come included with the batteries.
bandit79jun
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by bandit79jun »

I purchased the Vault in 2018. If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have known it had battery-powered lights. Ten minutes ago I put the 2 batteries in the compartment and the lights worked as intended.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

richardsimmons wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:23 am I don’t have the Vault but I’m glad you’re enjoying it & that corner of your room is very cool. 👍
Agreed.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

bandit79jun wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:53 pm I purchased the Vault in 2018. If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have known it had battery-powered lights. Ten minutes ago I put the 2 batteries in the compartment and the lights worked as intended.
That is so cool I love outcomes like this!!!
KISSworld1972

Post by KISSworld1972 »

joma5477 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:27 pm

GS Vault 2.jpg

Thanks so much for the info! I added 2 batteries and the lights work great. A nice touch when the door is opened.

Also, thanks to the others with the complimentary posts. I'd already seen the Vault up close back in 2018 with one on display at the Atlanta KISS Expo. Plus a local friend got one as well, so I'd already heard all of the music from it. But getting my own now is still like Christmas (KISSmas) in July. Plus I recently ordered the last copy of the admins' GS Vault Supplement book from Amazon, so I have lots of reading ahead of me. 8)
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Anyone else having trouble importing the CDs into iTunes or other digital formats? I'm going to be fucking pissed if I have to download the GD CDs from YouTube and split all the tracks up after paying 600 for this shit.

The CDs take forever to import into iTunes and then many of them have skips in the tracks after. The CDs themselves seem to play okay, but who uses a fucking CD player anymore?
ypke

Post by ypke »

I use a recordplayer and cdplayer (mostly the one in the car) on regular basis.... Have I become old?
ypke

Post by ypke »

To the OP: cool purchase!
BlackDiamond67

Post by BlackDiamond67 »

The Vault is great. Congrats on the purchase and getting it to light up as intended.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

ypke wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:10 am I use a recordplayer and cdplayer (mostly the one in the car) on regular basis.... Have I become old?
I think my car has the only remaining 'true' CD player I own...but why bother bringing CDs in and out of my car 10 or 20 at a time when I can have my entire collection in the palm of my hand?

I don't even have a legit CD player in my house anymore. The PC has a drive...a couple other components will probably play them like a Blu-ray player and game console, but since importing my CD collection into iTunes 15 years ago or so, I haven't really had a need to keep a physical CD player in the house...though I do prefer buying CDs over buying downloads. Old habits? Feeling like I actually own something? Maybe just the artwork and liner notes?

I do still buy and listen to vinyl. If Gene wants to send me these albums on vinyl at no additional charge I'd call it even. Although, to be honest, not sure if this is actually the best candidate for vinyl. Vinyl, to me, is for albums I largely enjoy listening to front to back. I have a feeling there will be a good number of tracks to skip with this set. Which is another reason I want these in actual digital form...so I can make a playlist of the Vault's 'greatest hits'.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

So after I quit wasting hours troubleshooting importing the damned CDs, I listened to the first CD on its own and found that it's just fucked in general. It's a little strange because some tracks that won't import cleanly play just fine in the player, so I didn't initially think it was the disc, but later in the disc some tracks were having issues with normal playback.

At the very least I need disc 1 replaced. Importing the others, I seemed to have challenges on maybe half, likely indicating they're some level of fucked, but was able to get decent files after multiple attempts....at least listening to what I could. Hard to get through 11 discs in an evening, especially when you're listening to problem tracks over and over.

Seems to me it was a dumb ass idea to put the fucking CDs in the book as it leads to scratching up the discs placing them in or removing them from the heavy paper pockets. They don't look super gnarly...I've seen worse shaped discs play just fine, but it seems ultimately that's the issue. Sure hope Rhino's customer service doesn't suck! And I hope I don't have to send the shit back altogether as trash day was this morning so I threw out the shipping boxes and materials as there was room to spare this week for a change, which isn't always the case.
Four-Who-Are-One
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

KISSworld1972 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:42 am I took the plunge when Rhino had the GS Vault sale on Father's Day weekend before they sold out.

So no more Vaults and no deeper discounts?
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

jannep17 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:07 pm

GS Vault 2.jpg

https://www.kissfaq.com/forum18/viewtopic.php?t=142298
Oh, now I remember. Still a bit steep for me, I'm afraid.
You're wise.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

GS Vault 2.jpg

https://www.kissfaq.com/forum18/viewtopic.php?t=142298
And for just $10,000 more, Gene will fax you the combination.
KISSworld1972

Post by KISSworld1972 »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:17 pm
KISSworld1972 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:42 am I took the plunge when Rhino had the GS Vault sale on Father's Day weekend before they sold out.

So no more Vaults and no deeper discounts?
I'm not sure. They supposedly had 90 available at the time of the Father's Day weekend sale before those sold out. I have no idea if more are stored or will be made in the future.
Four-Who-Are-One
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

KISSworld1972 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:18 pmI'm not sure. They supposedly had 90 available at the time of the Father's Day weekend sale before those sold out. I have no idea if more are stored or will be made in the future.
Thanks. I'll hold out hope.
Phyllis Simmons
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

GS Vault 2.jpg
Whats your thoughts on the music? I like hearing FAQers takes on it. Im waiting for them to release the discs with the book before I buy, as I don't have much use for owning the actual Vault itself!
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:54 pm Whats your thoughts on the music? I like hearing FAQers takes on it. Im waiting for them to release the discs with the book before I buy, as I don't have much use for owning the actual Vault itself!
If you're looking for multiple opinions...I'm about half way through it and here are my thoughts.

First, they're obviously demos for the most part. Most are pretty good quality, but if you're one that is put off by HITS because they're fancied up demos, you'd probably hate this because in many cases they're not fancied up.

As for content, I think most of the unreleased songs are pretty good and enjoyable. I see them having replayability. What I don't enjoy as much are the demos of songs he ended up recording for his/their albums. At least 9 times out of 10, the recorded version is better. It's possible I never revisit most of those.

Lastly, ignoring the fact theses actual discs are now found on youtube...it seems most the content was already available on YouTube. There are definitely songs I haven't heard, but if I knew what I was looking for, it was probably already there, again, in forms besides the actual Vault discs being uploaded.

My biggest complaint, though, is that most of the CDs I received are shitty quality, won't import cleanly into iTunes or WMP, will freeze or skip when playing on a cheap CD player (that still plays every other CD just fine,) and I've spent more time troubleshooting the problems than enjoying the music. 7 of the 11 CDs I received are substandard or worse...and for what I paid, even on a discounted set, I think it's unacceptable. I'm still waiting to hear back from Rhino on what they can do to remedy it...
KISSworld1972

Post by KISSworld1972 »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:54 pm

GS Vault 2.jpg
Whats your thoughts on the music? I like hearing FAQers takes on it. Im waiting for them to release the discs with the book before I buy, as I don't have much use for owning the actual Vault itself!

Well like I said before, I'd already heard it all long before getting my own Vault. There's a lot of interesting music with some rare jewels scattered throughout. And of course there's some turds as well. Some of the unreleased songs are decent enough for multiple listens. The demos of known KISS/Gene tunes probably interest me the most of it all. The sound quality varies as expected, coming from multiple different sources. I would've liked some Gene demos from the Creatures and Lick It Up albums. The presentation and packaging of the discs and book was well done. I still have lots of reading ahead of me between that and the admin's Vault Supplement book. No regrets overall with my purchase.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:54 pm

GS Vault 2.jpg
To be honest, neither do I. But it came with the package for me and obviously meeting Gene. If I could have done the whole event, met Gene and just taken the music home then I would have been just as happy. It’s the single piece of KISS merchandise that I own.

Occasionally I’ll get a visitor to our house who says “what the hell is that?!?!” 😁
Tito

Post by Tito »

Mr Slow wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:27 am It’s the single piece of KISS merchandise that I own.
Really? For a lifelong KISS fan such as yourself, how is that even possible? Did you get rid off stuff somewhere along the way, or somehow actually managed to never buy anything? :scratch:
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Tito wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:04 am
Mr Slow wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:27 am It’s the single piece of KISS merchandise that I own.
Really? For a lifelong KISS fan such as yourself, how is that even possible? Did you get rid off stuff somewhere along the way, or somehow actually managed to never buy anything? :scratch:
I guess I’ve just never been into that side of it. I love that it exists and I get a kick out of seeing fans collections, but it’s just not something I’ve indulged in all that much. I only have the vault because my wife gave it to me as a birthday gift.

I collected a little bit of stuff around the reunion era (MacFarlane figures etc.) but I eventually offloaded it to a friend of mine who is a big collector. I also had several really good condition autographed vinyls that were stolen when I moved states in 2013. If I still owned them they’d probably be gathering dust.
ALLISTER
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by ALLISTER »

GS Vault 2.jpg
Very cool set up. Did Gene not sign the top? Seems everyone I see has his auto on top (including mine).
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

ALLISTER wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:49 am

GS Vault 2.jpg
Very cool set up. Did Gene not sign the top? Seems everyone I see has his auto on top (including mine).
The ones from the Father's Day sale did not come signed other than the printed sig on the front. Nor did they come with any 'Gene junk from his personal collection'...nor did they have the gold plates on the inside door or junk stash door.
ALLISTER
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by ALLISTER »

joma5477 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:08 am
ALLISTER wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:49 am

GS Vault 2.jpg
The ones from the Father's Day sale did not come signed other than the printed sig on the front. Nor did they come with any 'Gene junk from his personal collection'...nor did they have the gold plates on the inside door or junk stash door.
Oh ok. Thanks for the info. The 'junk' inside was exactly that in mine. A cool few back stage passes & the rest seemed to be Hello Kitty Krap :?