What is this "We won" mantra?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: What is this "We won" mantra?

Post by TheSpoiler »

BeholderFan wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:31 pm
Doose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:13 pm
In the Suds wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:14 pm The idea is that anyone who disagrees with them at all is a KISS hater, and since KISS is successful ''they'' won.
Yep, this is it. "We won" over the haters because KISS is successful with Tommy and Eric. I've always thought it was such an awkward, lame thing.
Thank you both for answering my question. That sounds about right. I think it is lame and a bit juvenile also.
It has zero to do with Tommy and Eric, as it pre-dates their being in the band. As someone else stated, it's Farewell Tour stuff from Paul, alongside his "victory lap" stuff. Gene also dropped it into Farewell era interviews.
lord71

Post by lord71 »

In the Suds wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:14 pm The idea is that anyone who disagrees with them at all is a KISS hater, and since KISS is successful ''they'' won.
Yep. the master 'a**wipe' puts out a statement as 'truth' (even though it is just his biased opinion) and then suddenly 'they won'?
Whaaat?

As an academic person, gone through doctoral dissertation that really triggers rage in me. Everyone should be free to present their opinion, fine. But if you are arguing that your opinion is 'the truth', just because 'you think so' without any justification by the facts... I don't know how much urine one person's head can contain before it spills over.
banks
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by banks »

I've always thought it means that, like them, most people don't care that Paul lip-syncs. As I recall, that's the context where they at least started saying it.
Last edited by banks on Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeholderFan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BeholderFan »

spacecat2500 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:46 pm
jannep17 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:25 pm We are won. :wink:

No, to be serious, I fail to understand people who somehow think there are camps fighting over the right way to be a Kiss fan.

News flash: You can be a Kiss fan any way you like.
You can like what you want, you can dislike what you want.
Gene isn't going to come to your house and take your fandom away.

This is only a band. It's not a religion.
This is the most sensible comment I’ve ever read in the history of this site.
Hear! Hear!
Amen.
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BC Witch »

Always that show could be really killer if they acted more like adults and stopped resorting to 'haters' and 'we won' type language. They have great guests and the guys are enthusiastic and very knowledgeable about KISS but let some pretty petty stuff get in the way.
Mr Slow
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Mr Slow »

lord71 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:22 pm
Yep. the master 'a**wipe' puts out a statement as 'truth' (even though it is just his biased opinion) and then suddenly 'they won'?
Whaaat?

As an academic person, gone through doctoral dissertation that really triggers rage in me. Everyone should be free to present their opinion, fine. But if you are arguing that your opinion is 'the truth', just because 'you think so' without any justification by the facts... I don't know how much urine one person's head can contain before it spills over.
With all that education you’d think you would be able to read a bit better! 😂

The real meaning behind it has been said several times in this topic. “We” is the fans and the winning part is that the band we chose to follow outlasted all the detractors. It’s not Brandvold/3SOTC’s mantra to themselves and it’s not specific to any lineup. It’s KISS lasting almost 50 years despite criticism from the non-believers. That’s it.
Ozone1978
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Ozone1978 »

That podcast is shit and Brandvold is a asshole.
Doose

Post by Doose »

Ozone1978 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:23 pm That podcast is shit and Brandvold is a asshole.
But they WON! Hello!
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Doose wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:45 pm
Ozone1978 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:23 pm That podcast is shit and Brandvold is a asshole.
But they WON! Hello!
It’s not about them. Myself and others have explained it. Read the thread.
KF73
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by KF73 »

Not so sure that it is about them, but maybe US as Kiss fans. When it wasn't cool to be a Kiss fan and here were are always 50 years later. At least that is the way I see it.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

KF73 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:18 am Not so sure that it is about them, but maybe US as Kiss fans. When it wasn't cool to be a Kiss fan and here were are always 50 years later. At least that is the way I see it.
That’s the way it is, but some have chosen to ignore that and have created their own back stories. Whatever keeps them happily unhappy I guess! 😁
cowboytoast
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by cowboytoast »

Is he the bald one with the goatee that has the loudest mic of the 3?

He acts like he's still bitter about being stuffed in a locker in Junior High.
Revenger
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Revenger »

When was the last time they had Paul or Gene on? They always sound like they adhere to the company directive and narrative, in the hope that their bosses will come on to their show.
It used to be a good fan based show, until they elevated themselves above the ordinary fan.
nightwingken
Might as well be the Admin!
Location: Celebrating 12 years whining.Complaining since 2001.

Post by nightwingken »

Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:58 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:13 pm Who can stand podcasts. 10-12 minutes in and I’m bored as shyt. They just meander to fill time.
I generally would endorse this viewpoint.

The KISS FAQ guys seem to get right to the point and stay focused with some, brief deviations. The 3 Sides Guys need some serious editing at the start of their shows, apparently spending an inordinate amount of time of contrived controversy is a marketing strategy advocated by the producer of that show in his other music marketing podcasts in my opinion.

I have tried the Shout it Out Loud cast and those dudes' show would probably garner more attention if they cut out the excessive & tiresome bantering. Any of you who have a podcast should try to get some feedback about the listenability of your shows as sometimes less is more. It may be fun to talk shit with your buddies for your show, but sometimes it is not so appealing to listen to.
We started doing the PodKISSt in 2007.
I cannot listen to most podcasts, because they do not value the listeners time.
There was a podcast I helped get a few things straightened out.
Their opening was almost 2 and a 1/2 minutes. I trimmed it down to 35 seconds.
Your listeners have lives.

The show has survived and changed over the years.
I'm happy to look back on many firsts we hit.
I love KISSFAQ
Pod of Thunder
The KISS Room! Is a fun hang.
Almost Human56
KST will always,be special.

There are others.
But try to find your own reason to exist.
Don't do the same show everyone else does.
Keep evolving.

Just a few things I've learned.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

nightwingken wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:14 pm
Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:58 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:13 pm Who can stand podcasts. 10-12 minutes in and I’m bored as shyt. They just meander to fill time.
I generally would endorse this viewpoint.

The KISS FAQ guys seem to get right to the point and stay focused with some, brief deviations. The 3 Sides Guys need some serious editing at the start of their shows, apparently spending an inordinate amount of time of contrived controversy is a marketing strategy advocated by the producer of that show in his other music marketing podcasts in my opinion.

I have tried the Shout it Out Loud cast and those dudes' show would probably garner more attention if they cut out the excessive & tiresome bantering. Any of you who have a podcast should try to get some feedback about the listenability of your shows as sometimes less is more. It may be fun to talk shit with your buddies for your show, but sometimes it is not so appealing to listen to.
We started doing the PodKISSt in 2007.
I cannot listen to most podcasts, because they do not value the listeners time.
There was a podcast I helped get a few things straightened out.
Their opening was almost 2 and a 1/2 minutes. I trimmed it down to 35 seconds.
Your listeners have lives.

The show has survived and changed over the years.
I'm happy to look back on many firsts we hit.
I love KISSFAQ
Pod of Thunder
The KISS Room! Is a fun hang.
Almost Human56
KST will always,be special.

There are others.
But try to find your own reason to exist.
Don't do the same show everyone else does.
Keep evolving.

Just a few things I've learned.
This may be true with KISS podcasts, but people are listening to 2 or 3 hour podcasts every day like Joe Rogan, etc.

The longer format is more popular with podcast fans, because you can really get into deep and interesting conversation that the 30 minute or hour podcast often doesn't afford you because it is more structured due to a lack of time. You can only cover so many topics or ask so many questions.

Sometimes you really get on to a great subject 2 hours into it through the course of natural discussion and things are really cooking with the listeners being hooked.

Now having said that, 3 Sides is not such a podcast that needs long shows. They waste so much time over fuck all and it absolutely needs to be edited down big time. They are mostly filling air just to hear their voices and then they get around to a guest or the subject at hand an hour or so in.
Agerst1574
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Agerst1574 »

BC Witch wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:22 pm Always that show could be really killer if they acted more like adults and stopped resorting to 'haters' and 'we won' type language. They have great guests and the guys are enthusiastic and very knowledgeable about KISS but let some pretty petty stuff get in the way.
Could not agree more. I stopped listening when they got to a point where they were almost sexually harassing their female host. It really sounded like a bunch of guys who have not been laid in years and many things they were saying was steeped in sexual innuendo.
peopleselbow
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by peopleselbow »

THEY DON'T CARE !
peopleselbow
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by peopleselbow »

3 Sides is hit or miss and they do act like idiots at times.

Here's the thing, Brandvold is one of the few to admit they don't make anything off of it so why care about production etc ? They are having fun and putting out content. At least they are honest about it.
nightwingken
Location: Celebrating 12 years whining.Complaining since 2001.

Post by nightwingken »

Grand Classic wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:39 pm
This may be true with KISS podcasts, but people are listening to 2 or 3 hour podcasts every day like Joe Rogan, etc.

The longer format is more popular with podcast fans, because you can really get into deep and interesting conversation that the 30 minute or hour podcast often doesn't afford you because it is more structured due to a lack of time. You can only cover so many topics or ask so many questions.

Sometimes you really get on to a great subject 2 hours into it through the course of natural discussion and things are really cooking with the listeners being hooked.

Now having said that, 3 Sides is not such a podcast that needs long shows. They waste so much time over fuck all and it absolutely needs to be edited down big time. They are mostly filling air just to hear their voices and then they get around to a guest or the subject at hand an hour or so in.
I agree with you 100%. I love long form shows.
I'm speaking about how so many music podcasts are simply doing the same exact thing.
For example. I'm seeing tons of podcasters saying "listen to (name of show here) for totally uncensored talk!".
well, that is most podcasts.
Be unique, Is my main thought.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

nightwingken wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:39 pm

I agree with you 100%. I love long form shows.
I'm speaking about how so many music podcasts are simply doing the same exact thing.
For example. I'm seeing tons of podcasters saying "listen to (name of show here) for totally uncensored talk!".
well, that is most podcasts.
Be unique, Is my main thought.
Fair enough. Perhaps I misunderstood you. I thought you were making the case for shorter podcasts per your comment about people having lives and their time isn't respected by people doing these 2 hour+ shows.
caligari

Post by caligari »

Antzzz66 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:56 pm
Thace wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:13 pm Is that the podcast where three 55 years old guys frequently harass that woman with sexist jokes everytime she on? They shure know how to show everyone how ”we won” as Kiss fans.
It’s pathetic when they do that … but she also Laps it up
Makes the show very embarrassing to listen too.
It shouldn’t have to be a
I have to listen alone kind of show/I don’t want people to think that I’m of like mind AND that THUS is what all KISS fans are like: pathetic.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Revenger wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:16 pm When was the last time they had Paul or Gene on? They always sound like they adhere to the company directive and narrative, in the hope that their bosses will come on to their show.
It used to be a good fan based show, until they elevated themselves above the ordinary fan.
They’ve said a few times that they wouldn’t be overly keen to have either of them on because they’d only get canned responses. They deliberately target the less common guests to try and unearth interesting minutia.

I’m sure they’d have Gene or Paul if they asked, but they seem to prefer less interviewed guests.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Mr Slow wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:39 pm
Doose wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:45 pm
But they WON! Hello!
It’s not about them. Myself and others have explained it. Read the thread.
Of course it's about them. Using a familiar thing doesn't mean the meaning can't change/be adapted.
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

I've got mixed feelings about 3 sides these days. Sometimes it's the best Kiss podcast out there and then the next show is just horrible (Guys pay more attention to their phones than the show)
As much shit as Brandvold gets, I think that he is a very smart guy and knows A LOT about music business in general.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

The "we won" mantra explained on the new episode of 3SOTC.

Nice dig by them on the December release of the MAGIC book too.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Eddie Van Hazel wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:31 pm The "we won" mantra explained on the new episode of 3SOTC.

Nice dig by them on the December release of the MAGIC book too.

Yep, addressed in the first minute or two. People here will still refuse to believe it, but this is what it has always been about.

gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

I just gotta love these hollow motivational mantras. But when you live to win and climb the highest mountain, maybe that's the magic juice you need to keep sipping to stay delusional.