New Article Highlights KISS Guitarists

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

New Article Highlights KISS Guitarists

Post by DonnaDixon »

rwgriffith
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: New Article Highlights KISS Guitarists

Post by rwgriffith »

Thanks for sharing that article... 😎
Wiped Out 78
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

I stopped at Janick Gers.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

That article is by the same author who in another article admitted to being a "huge fan" of Tommy's. And I don't know about you, but when a journalist doesn't show objectivity, then I can't take what they write seriously.

https://vinylwritermusic.com/kiss-guitarists-ranked/
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:13 pm That article is by the same author who in another article admitted to being a "huge fan" of Tommy's. And I don't know about you, but when a journalist doesn't show objectivity, then I can't take what they write seriously.

Journalists who make these lists will always bring bias into the article. It would be impossible not to.
So Cruel

Post by So Cruel »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:13 pm That article is by the same author who in another article admitted to being a "huge fan" of Tommy's. And I don't know about you, but when a journalist doesn't show objectivity, then I can't take what they write seriously.

That actually doesn’t even read like it was written by a professional journalist. More like something you’d read on a fan forum, and it’s very tough to take this guy seriously when he writes this:

Tommy Thayer’s Blues-based playing is bar none some of the most underrated of the last forty some odd years and fits KISS like a glove. Tommy’s work with his band Black ‘N Blue, a truly fantastic Rock outfit which is on par with any of the names you hear slung around on various best-of lists.
Hi I'm Witz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:34 pm I stopped at Janick Gers.
Oh you should've kept going LMAO!
Doose

Post by Doose »

This is a blog, not an article.

People think because they post something online they can call it an "article." lol
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

Black'n'Blue... I'm sorry, but they were never a "fantastic rock outfit".
Kiss-Army-Sergeant

southernkiss wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:41 pm

Journalists who make these lists will always bring bias into the article. It would be impossible not to.
As a journalist myself--and yes I'm a real journalist and not a blogger who writes for a hobby--it's not as difficult as it seems if you stick with the facts over personal opinion.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:46 am
southernkiss wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:41 pm

As a journalist myself--and yes I'm a real journalist and not a blogger who writes for a hobby--it's not as difficult as it seems if you stick with the facts over personal opinion.
I know what you mean but still, there is always a matter of personal opinion involved when you write about music. Unless you only list irrefutable facts such as sales figures. But how fun is that?
ozweepay
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by ozweepay »

CC Deville? No. Stop it.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

This is laughable. There is a reason why Tommy couldn't make a living as a guitarist after BNB were done.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:49 pm This is laughable. There is a reason why Tommy couldn't make a living as a guitarist after BNB were done.
He is making way more now than he ever made with BNB.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

southernkiss wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:57 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:49 pm This is laughable. There is a reason why Tommy couldn't make a living as a guitarist after BNB were done.
I think you missed the point.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:02 pm
southernkiss wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:57 pm
I think you missed the point.
He is making it by riding off of someone else’s coattails.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Doose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:30 am This is a blog, not an article.
Barely a difference these days.

Journalism no longer exists. And people who write "actual articles" in "actual publications" probably make about three bucks per submission---it's why they all have 50 jobs---and are ordered to write exactly what the payola editors tell them to.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant

DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:38 am Journalism no longer exists. And people who write "actual articles" in "actual publications" probably make about three bucks per submission---it's why they all have 50 jobs---and are ordered to write exactly what the payola editors tell them to.
I can't speak for everyone, but that is not the case for me at all. I won't reveal what I make per article, but I assure you it's way, way more than three bucks a pop to where I don't need to have 50 jobs to pay the bills.

That said, you have a lot of bloggers out there looking to pass themselves off as journalists and they haven't the first clue about putting in the elbow grease necessary. By that I mean, they don't research, they think their opinions are facts and they slant the argument to favor their perspective. Journalism is a lost art, but that goodness there are still a handful of old-timers who do the job the right way. And the biggest gripe I have is when these young bloggers come to me and say, "I'm a huge fan of {fill int he blank}." That is like the WORST thing you can say if you want to be taken seriously as a journalist.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant

jannep17 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:43 pm I know what you mean but still, there is always a matter of personal opinion involved when you write about music. Unless you only list irrefutable facts such as sales figures. But how fun is that?
It depends on the assignment. If I'm asked to write about my top ten favorite ballparks, then yes, that's going to be an article that heavily reflects my opinion.

But if I'm asked to write about the ten greatest guitar players of all time, I might look at record sales, song writing, style, longevity, etc to make my case.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Love talking about KIϟϟ guitarists!
-- Approved!!
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:47 pm
DonnaDixon wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:38 am Journalism no longer exists. And people who write "actual articles" in "actual publications" probably make about three bucks per submission---it's why they all have 50 jobs---and are ordered to write exactly what the payola editors tell them to.
I can't speak for everyone, but that is not the case for me at all. I won't reveal what I make per article, but I assure you it's way, way more than three bucks a pop to where I don't need to have 50 jobs to pay the bills.

That said, you have a lot of bloggers out there looking to pass themselves off as journalists and they haven't the first clue about putting in the elbow grease necessary. By that I mean, they don't research, they think their opinions are facts and they slant the argument to favor their perspective. Journalism is a lost art, but that goodness there are still a handful of old-timers who do the job the right way. And the biggest gripe I have is when these young bloggers come to me and say, "I'm a huge fan of {fill int he blank}." That is like the WORST thing you can say if you want to be taken seriously as a journalist.
I think the problem is also the general public. In many cases they just want to hear their own opinion fed back to them. It's the very reason why people choose news sources that represent their side or slant. Opinionated views are more profitable these days over fact based unfortunately.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:57 pm
jannep17 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:43 pm I know what you mean but still, there is always a matter of personal opinion involved when you write about music. Unless you only list irrefutable facts such as sales figures. But how fun is that?
It depends on the assignment. If I'm asked to write about my top ten favorite ballparks, then yes, that's going to be an article that heavily reflects my opinion.

But if I'm asked to write about the ten greatest guitar players of all time, I might look at record sales, song writing, style, longevity, etc to make my case.
The importance of record sales is a variable that differs in level of importance to different people. Some people would say the Beatles are the best band ever because of their record sales. Others might say that despite their record sales, they are not even in the top ten of “best” bands ever.

Song writing is also a variable that is subjective to an author’s opinion. Some people might say Genesis writes better songs than Rush. Others might say Rush writes better songs than Genesis. There is no way to measure song writing quality without some sort of bias.

Style is also subjective to an author’s bias.

The importance of longevity is subjective to an author’s bias. How many albums did Velvet Underground and Nirvana release? The Rolling Stones have had way more longevity to than the Beatles. Who is better? That is all a matter of opinion.
Last edited by southernkiss on Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

southernkiss wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:42 pm
Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:57 pm

The importance of record sales is a variable that differs in level of importance to different people. Some people would say the Beatles are the best band ever because of their record sales. Others might say that despite their record sales, they are not even in the top ten of “best” bands ever.

Song writing is also a variable that is subjective to an author’s opinion. Some people might say Genesis writes better songs than Rush. Others might say Rush writes better song than Genesis. There is no way to measure song writing quality without some sort of bias.

Style is also subjective to an author’s bias.

The importance of longevity is subjective to an author’s bias. How many albums did Velvet Underground and Nirvana release? The Rolling Stones have had way more longevity to than the Beatles. Who is better? That is all a matter of opinion.
This may be true, however there is also general consensus. No one is going to really be outraged that The Beatles are considered to the best band ever - even if they completely disagree, because it is more or less accepted and understood by the world to be the case.

Of course even with something subjective - you still need to be objective or realistic about it. KISS may be your favorite band of all time and you may deem them as the greatest band of all time, but you would look like a fool if you were to actually make that case seriously.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant

Grand Classic wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:24 pm I think the problem is also the general public. In many cases they just want to hear their own opinion fed back to them. It's the very reason why people choose news sources that represent their side or slant. Opinionated views are more profitable these days over fact based unfortunately.
Sad but true. I've seen instances where if you scream the emperor is naked, you get verbally chastised by an angry mob. Hence if you're going to be a writer, you better have thick skin.
The Man
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Man »

ozweepay wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:35 pm CC Deville? No. Stop it.
A sober CC Deville is fantastic
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:47 pm

You're a rare exception, apparently. Almost all "journalism" is payola activism. They're merely racketeers.

What kinds of {blanks} do they say they're huge fans of?
Kiss-Army-Sergeant

DonnaDixon wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:03 am You're a rare exception, apparently. Almost all "journalism" is payola activism. They're merely racketeers.

I'm old school. Newer journalism students are taught a little bit differently these days. You can thank the advent of social media for that and the public quest for instant news. We didn't have that when I was coming up through the ranks. Now we have to do multimedia videos, audio clips and all this other stuff that years ago we didn't have to worry about.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:01 pm
DonnaDixon wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:03 am You're a rare exception, apparently. Almost all "journalism" is payola activism. They're merely racketeers.

I'm old school. Newer journalism students are taught a little bit differently these days. You can thank the advent of social media for that and the public quest for instant news. We didn't have that when I was coming up through the ranks. Now we have to do multimedia videos, audio clips and all this other stuff that years ago we didn't have to worry about.
A lotta bit different. They're taught to be anti-journalism activists. And they're recruited right out of college into fake-journalism publications and government Intel projects.

Whether or not that sounds far-fetched to you is irrelevant, because it's true. And shocking.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant

DonnaDixon wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:45 pm A lotta bit different. They're taught to be anti-journalism activists. And they're recruited right out of college into fake-journalism publications and government Intel projects.

Whether or not that sounds far-fetched to you is irrelevant, because it's true. And shocking.
Sad is the term I'd use. I miss the old-school journalists.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:50 pm
DonnaDixon wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:45 pm A lotta bit different. They're taught to be anti-journalism activists. And they're recruited right out of college into fake-journalism publications and government Intel projects.

Sad is the term I'd use. I miss the old-school journalists.
Yes