When’s The Next Off The Soundboard?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
steve
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: When’s The Next Off The Soundboard?

Post by steve »

The next one? Steady on, I haven't listened to the first one yet.

Considering the amount of semi-legal radio broadcasts out there (see https://www.zdigital.com.au/artist/kiss/albums for just a few), it wouldn't be that difficult to find the full shows and put the KISS stamp on them by releasing them properly, but I wonder if there's enough interest. This ain't The Rolling Stones From The Vault, although G & P would do very well if they followed that example.
bricodd2
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bricodd2 »

I’m not sure how much G&P are even involved. Is it them picking the shows?
Brad Breath
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Brad Breath »

If the physical releases don't keep coming, hopefully more shows will at least be released digitally. They should've built a site for live downloads by now.
bricodd2
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bricodd2 »

Agreed
battra
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by battra »

I really enjoyed the Tokyo show.

It was good for me because it was an oddity....a short lived lineup that had no tape.

Now, there aren't any other lineups like that, I don't think, but give me an Eric Carr show.

Shoot. Do Detroit 90.
jmitzel
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by jmitzel »

B5Erik wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:40 am After the sales of the Tokyo show I don't think we'll get another.

I'd imagine this series is one and done, unfortunately. I'd love to see a handful or two of these releases, but it's all about the sales, and there weren't many.
What were the final sales figures?
jmitzel

Post by jmitzel »

Under The Rose wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:43 am The first volume seems to have been a bit of a flop and it doesn’t surprise me. If you’re releasing something that is effectively just for the diehards you should make something special. Vol 1 didn’t have much going for it. I hope they change direction with the next one and go for deluxe packaging. Dream on.
What were final sales figures?
jmitzel

Post by jmitzel »

:oops:
Curveboy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:01 pm
jannep17 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:26 am I'm not sure they'll make another one. Seemed like a half-assed attempt.
Half assed how? They gave us something fans have been asking for for a good decade...live shows.

It was well worth it and I look forward to more in the series.
Agreed. Some folks will NEVER be happy/positive about anything else from KISS period.
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

jmitzel wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:19 pm :oops:
jannep17 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:26 am I'm not sure they'll make another one. Seemed like a half-assed attempt.
Half assed how? They gave us something fans have been asking for for a good decade...live shows.

Agreed. Some folks will NEVER be happy/positive about anything else from KISS period.
THIS!!!!

There is one good thing about having the chronically unhappy/negative/shit-on-everything "fans" around here though. They make me feel better about myself as they remind me that I am one of those who still knows how to have a good time.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

jmitzel wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:17 pm
B5Erik wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:40 am After the sales of the Tokyo show I don't think we'll get another.

I'd imagine this series is one and done, unfortunately. I'd love to see a handful or two of these releases, but it's all about the sales, and there weren't many.
Less than expected. The exclusive Kissonline version didn’t sell out and so is now available elsewhere.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Not true at all. Give us something special…not half assed…that’s all we’re saying.
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

Under The Rose wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:02 pm

Not true at all. Give us something special…not half assed…that’s all we’re saying.
I have to disagree with you Rose. jmitzeel's post is absolutely true.

I'm listening to the Tokyo Soundboard show right now and couldn't be happier. KISS gives you the deluxe special Vault or the promise of a stripped down Soundboard series to choose from. If you can't find a way to be happy somewhere in there, you just might not be capable of being happy with anything KISS does.

That's all we're saying.
Last edited by Wichita77 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

Agree. It's of course great that they made an official release of this one, but they chose the easiest way, per usual.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

jannep17 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:18 pm

Agree. It's of course great that they made an official release of this one, but they chose the easiest way, per usual.
Exactly. I want the series to continue…but for it to be profitable, and thus continue, it needs to be desirable. Based on volume 1, I don’t think it’s attractive enough a package in this day and age. Give us something special. Throw in a DVD, a book, delxue packaging, charge more by all means, but not just a CD and LP in a plain cardboard sleeve…that is just not going to get me excited. Might as well just release the songs digitally.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

Under The Rose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:51 am

Exactly. I want the series to continue…but for it to be profitable, and thus continue, it needs to be desirable. Based on volume 1, I don’t think it’s attractive enough a package in this day and age. Give us something special. Throw in a DVD, a book, delxue packaging, charge more by all means, but not just a CD and LP in a plain cardboard sleeve…that is just not going to get me excited. Might as well just release the songs digitally.
With the way things were, I bought this digitally. Why waste shelfspace with something so mundane.
Tail of a hurricane
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

I think it depends how it sells
That 70s Guy

Post by That 70s Guy »

There won't be any more,it didn't sell.
Going Blind

Post by Going Blind »

They should release Magic Mountain and combine it with Ace's wedding.
jmitzel

Post by jmitzel »

Then, my comment doesn’t include you. There are many, however, who will never be happy with anything new from the band.
jmitzel

Post by jmitzel »

Under The Rose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:51 am

Now, we all seem to forget that Universal Music owns the rights to all of the band’s music. It would be interesting to know just how much “say-so” power Paul and Gene have towards any project Universal releases. I am thinking that our frustration/disappointment needs to be focused on Universal Music Corp. and not so much on Paul and Gene these days.
ZachAttack
Banned

Post by ZachAttack »

Have you seen some of the recent bootlegs people are putting out? Posters, recreations of original store displays, stickers, photo books, patches, pins, gatefold jackets, printed inner sleeves, beautiful cover artwork

Now look at Off The Soundboard - a plain tan colored sleeve with the Kiss logo stamped on. No inserts, no photos of the band, nothing.
jmitzel

Post by jmitzel »

Under The Rose wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:01 pm
jmitzel wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:17 pm

Less than expected. The exclusive Kissonline version didn’t sell out and so is now available elsewhere.
Maybe so but how do you know for certain? Any specific figures? What was/is expectations these days for physical media sales? The KISSonline exclusive is simply a color variant that was likely easier to produce more of since the regular format was being pressed at the same time; from a production aspect. The previous KISSOnline formats were probably limited due to smaller production runs for that one limited edition album.
jmitzel

Post by jmitzel »

ZachAttack wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:49 pm

Have you seen some of the recent bootlegs people are putting out? Posters, recreations of original store displays, stickers, photo books, patches, pins, gatefold jackets, printed inner sleeves, beautiful cover artwork

Now look at Off The Soundboard - a plain tan colored sleeve with the Kiss logo stamped on. No inserts, no photos of the band, nothing.
I have all of the recent bootleg sets and yes they are beautiful and have all kinds of cool inserts; however, pricing on those vs. Off the Soundboard is literally night and day.
ZachAttack
Banned

Post by ZachAttack »

jmitzel wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:52 pm

I have all of the recent bootleg sets and yes they are beautiful and have all kinds of cool inserts; however, pricing on those vs. Off the Soundboard is literally night and day.
It costs a private citizen a lot more to produce something like that than it does for a band on a major label
jmitzel

Post by jmitzel »

ZachAttack wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:55 pm

It costs a private citizen a lot more to produce something like that than it does for a band on a major label
True; I agree with that aspect.
joma5477

Post by joma5477 »

ZachAttack wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:55 pm

Actually, not true. See, the bootleggers don't pay for any of the licensing an official release would have to pay for. Those beautiful books the bootlegs come with, with like 300-400 photos...those are all supposed to be licensed and cost good money to do so. The bootleggers don't pay shit for that. Their only cost is the manufacturing cost, which they get back when they sell the product.
ZachAttack
Banned

Post by ZachAttack »

joma5477 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:50 pm Their only cost is the manufacturing cost, which they get back when they sell the product.

Which is why the product costs so much. Kiss probably gets 10,000 units or more of these produced. A bootlegger gets maybe 300 to 500 at most pressed
Curveboy

Post by Curveboy »

I'd still much rather an official release sanctioned by the band and the money going into their hands for their art and creation rather than bootleggers.
AceyAintInCharge
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AceyAintInCharge »

indyfanmc wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:25 am I think Paul's hatred towards Peter will tank this series because he has to know that the original band will sell more copies but he doesn't want Peter on any releases.
That and if Ace appears on anything he can't allow it to be released without shitting all over his guitar playing in the press the week of release. Still blows my mind he did that!
Couldn't have helped the sales. Talk about keys to the kingdom while hanging yourself. 😂😂 Nice work Paul!
battra

Post by battra »

Wichita77 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:11 pm

THIS!!!!

There is one good thing about having the chronically unhappy/negative/shit-on-everything "fans" around here though. They make me feel better about myself as they remind me that I am one of those who still knows how to have a good time.
I wembled back and forth on this set.

When I finally spun it..

Pure bliss!!!

I do think it was a touch on the overpriced side… but Iron Maiden also just announced $50 for their new album…

So…

Bollocks.
destroyerrnro
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by destroyerrnro »

balish wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:23 pm
kiss-1976 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:07 pm
LordThurisaz wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:33 pm
kiss-1976 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:17 pm
"hopefully" the other project that will be released this year can make up for the disappointment of this series possibly getting canned.. Or the people involved keep pushing for more releases?
What other project?
destroyerrnro said that he'll start to give details closer to the release date as he's allowed to starting next month.
That's good, because we've got "Great Expectaaaaaaaaaaaaaations".
Brother Balish.... :wink: :)
Red Yogurt Bath
Valde desideraberis
Valde desideraberis

Post by Red Yogurt Bath »

Under The Rose wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:43 am The first volume seems to have been a bit of a flop and it doesn’t surprise me. If you’re releasing something that is effectively just for the diehards you should make something special. Vol 1 didn’t have much going for it. I hope they change direction with the next one and go for deluxe packaging. Dream on.
How are you quantifying "flop" here?
B5Erik
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

Red Yogurt Bath wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:56 am
How are you quantifying "flop" here?
I'd quantify it by saying it sold far less than they hoped for, and far less than they expected.
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

battra wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:05 am

THIS!!!!

When I finally spun it..

Pure bliss!!!

I do think it was a touch on the overpriced side… but Iron Maiden also just announced $50 for their new album…

So…

Bollocks.
It seemed a little pricey given the underwhelming packaging, but three LPs at $20 each isn't all that outrageous. As often as I put them on the turntable I'm definitely getting my money's worth.

I'm just hoping that sales were such that we'll see a few more of these. I'd love to have each of the lineups represented.
battra

Post by battra »

Wichita77 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:41 am
battra wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:05 am

THIS!!!!

When I finally spun it..

Pure bliss!!!

So…

Bollocks.
It seemed a little pricey given the underwhelming packaging, but three LPs at $20 each isn't all that outrageous. As often as I put them on the turntable I'm definitely getting my money's worth.

I'm just hoping that sales were such that we'll see a few more of these. I'd love to have each of the lineups represented.
Agreed. It’s a really cool concept. And I hope they stay with it.
pete1699
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by pete1699 »

I love the whole concept and I’d love a recording from any era but I think to make a bigger splash they maybe should release a classic show from the 70s and maybe that will carry a bigger punch as far as sales go.
battra

Post by battra »

pete1699 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:33 am I love the whole concept and I’d love a recording from any era but I think to make a bigger splash they maybe should release a classic show from the 70s and maybe that will carry a bigger punch as far as sales go.
I would be far less likely to pay a premium for that.

I already have two live albums from the 70’s.
69th_B1izard

Post by 69th_B1izard »

when the first one sells out, so............
kiss-1976
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kiss-1976 »

It's mid August now. Any updates on the 'next big thing'... 😊
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

kiss-1976 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:27 pm It's mid August now. Any updates on the 'next big thing'... 😊
There is no big thing. Has never been.
Only small minds.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

That 70s Guy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:02 am There won't be any more,it didn't sell.
Farking hell. :roll:

KISS nor the label never anticipated big sales, it wasn't released to make them a lot of money.

They wouldn't have released it, they would have done the numbers for sure.

They may or may not go the digital download route (they are almost 2 decades behind this idea too)

But this idea with fans, that it's all about sales is ridiculous at this point in the bands history.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

steveh67 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:09 am
That 70s Guy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:02 am There won't be any more,it didn't sell.
But this idea with fans, that it's all about sales is ridiculous at this point in the bands history.
Their excuse for not releasing new music is "it won't sell". They can hardly have been surprised by this zero effort release not storming up the charts.
battra

Post by battra »

I've got the Tokyo show on the platter right now.

It really, really sounds great.