KISS lead guitarists ranked

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: KISS lead guitarists ranked

Post by Mr Slow »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:32 am
Mr Slow wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:16 am
Tito wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:46 am
Mr Slow wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:49 am Talent:
Vinnie
Bruce
Mark
Tommy
Ace
I'm honestly curious, what in your opinion has Tommy done that has required more talent than what Ace has done?
I think he’s technically a better guitar player. Same as either Eric being technically better drummers than Peter, yet Peter left behind more iconic playing. Ace’s impact is a million miles ahead of Tommy, but if you gave both of them a list of different things to play Tommy would master it much better than Ace would. He’s technically a more proficient player.

You’ll also notice in my personal rankings I put Ace second, so clearly I’m not swayed by skill alone.
My god. I think I remember somewhere that you said you were a musician Brother Slow?!
Obviously not on guitar. Firstly just a couple of real flaws in his playing. His vibrato is very poor and doesn't come close to replicating Ace's. He very often doesn't even bend properly to pitch. Thats just for starters... At real auditions - players like that are eliminated in 3 minutes. He has done nothing particularly memorable or original in his playing.
And song-writing that's how you rank talent also. Childhoods End is good I'll give him that, a good co-write.. There's one.. Ace has dozens upon dozens of classics spanning many years..
I think a few FAQers are probably re-assesing their take on you Brother Slow. I actually thought you were joking.. :lol:
He's not in any way a more technically proficient player?! I've heard the occasional non-musician, non-playing FAQer make those silly uninformed statements with no actual clue what they are talking about. From you though I'm a bit surprised!? :lol:
Like I give a shit what a few angry idiots here think.
Once perhaps, but not anymore.
AceyAintInCharge
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AceyAintInCharge »

Under The Rose wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:05 am 1. Ace
2. Tommy
3. Bruce
4. Vinnie
5. Mark
Wow. Just wow.
Much Too Soon
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Much Too Soon »

70’s Ace
Bruce
Tommy
Vinnie
Reunion Ace
Mark
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

Ace
Bruce
Vinnie
Mark
Tommy
70skid

Post by 70skid »

Surprisingly, I have to rate Bruce as the best OVERALL guitarist ever in KISS. VV a close second.

Ace is still my favorite.....but he can't hold a candle to the technicians when it comes to command of he instrument.

Overall Ranking (Combined)

1. Bruce
2. VV
3. Mark
4. Ace
5. Tommy

Musicality (Musical sensibility, taste, tone, etc.)

1. Ace
2. Bruce
3. Tommy
4. VV
5. Mark

Technical Ability (Raw talent)

1. VV
2. Mark
3. Bruce
4. Tommy
5. Ace

Technical Proficiency (Applied Talent)

1. Bruce
2. VV
3. Mark
4. Tommy
5. Ace
gothunder
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by gothunder »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:51 am Ace
Vinnie
Bruce
Mark
Tommy
I think i like this.
Ginx99
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Ginx99 »

Bruce
Ace
Tommy
Vinnie
Mark
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Some of the butt hurt over Tommy still rages strong. Imagine holding a grudge for 17 years or whatever it has been.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

70skid wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:52 pm Surprisingly, I have to rate Bruce as the best OVERALL guitarist ever in KISS. VV a close second.

Ace is still my favorite.....but he can't hold a candle to the technicians when it comes to command of he instrument.

Overall Ranking (Combined)

1. Bruce
2. VV
3. Mark
4. Ace
5. Tommy

Musicality (Musical sensibility, taste, tone, etc.)

1. Ace
2. Bruce
3. Tommy
4. VV
5. Mark

Technical Ability (Raw talent)

1. VV
2. Mark
3. Bruce
4. Tommy
5. Ace

Technical Proficiency (Applied Talent)

1. Bruce
2. VV
3. Mark
4. Tommy
5. Ace
Vinnie is ranked far too highly. For all of his "talent," most of his solos are the drizzling shits and unforgettable.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

LordThurisaz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:33 pm Some of the butt hurt over Tommy still rages strong. Imagine holding a grudge for 17 years or whatever it has been.
Well it's hard to get excited or like such a boring guitarist - when you can spit and hit a guitarist that would elevate KISS in a way that Tommy hasn't at all.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

LordThurisaz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:33 pm Some of the butt hurt over Tommy still rages strong. Imagine holding a grudge for 17 years or whatever it has been.
Grudges or not - that’s 17 years of severely downgrading a band.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

TwistedTaste wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:39 pm
Considering that he can actually play, while Eric is a total bore and Paul hasn't been able to sing too well since at least 2004, going to have to disagree with you there. Paul's voice has been wearing out since he started shouting again for the reunion tour. By the reunion tour, it was already showing signs of wear. (Not the sort of range change or loss that happens as a singer ages, but rather ability loss from poor technique.) Eric on the other hand is only "interesting" to some (not me) if he can over play. If he has to actually play the song close to how it was intended, he's as boring as a metronome.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:36 pm
Well it's hard to get excited or like such a boring guitarist - when you can spit and hit a guitarist that would elevate KISS in a way that Tommy hasn't at all.
The live show was kind of boring with Ace too, because the setlist was the same then as it is now. The difference is that now Gene and Paul do not have the ability to blame it on Ace and Peter, so they blame it on the audience, when in my opinion, they do not wish to put in the effort.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

LordThurisaz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:50 pm
Considering that he can actually play, while Eric is a total bore and Paul hasn't been able to sing too well since at least 2004, going to have to disagree with you there. Paul's voice has been wearing out since he started shouting again for the reunion tour. By the reunion tour, it was already showing signs of wear. (Not the sort of range change or loss that happens as a singer ages, but rather ability loss from poor technique.) Eric on the other hand is only "interesting" to some (not me) if he can over play. If he has to actually play the song close to how it was intended, he's as boring as a metronome.
Eric is bored as fuck in KISS and playing those songs. I don't believe he was ever really a KISS fan - he said he wasn't until he joined and then he was a big KISS fan.

If he was to leave tomorrow and hook back up with Alice Cooper - it would be like he was reborn and he would be impressive again. I can't blame him. The money is nice, but he has checked out musically.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:54 pm
Eric is bored as fuck in KISS and playing those songs. I don't believe he was ever really a KISS fan - he said he wasn't until he joined and then he was a big KISS fan.

If he was to leave tomorrow and hook back up with Alice Cooper - it would be like he was reborn and he would be impressive again. I can't blame him. The money is nice, but he has checked out musically.
I've always been bored listening to his lame drumming. He's never been impressive. He's never been all that "musical" to begin with.
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

1. Ace
2. Vinnie
3. Bruce
4. Mark
5. Tommy
FIX
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by FIX »

1. Ace (so great in the initial era. One of the most melodic players in the sense of creating a song within a song)
2. Bruce (vastly underrated in my opinion - even most of his shreddy stuff is singable)
3. Vinnie (imo he is no good when left to his own devices, but in the context of KISS he did great stuff. Saint and Sinner, War Machine, All Hells…, etc. He also had his moments with his soloing on his more melodic VVI work.)
4. Tommy (he’s a good player. He’s had some good solo’s but he’s obviously not a very original player. Solid though.)
5. Mark (possibly the most skilled with the most musical knowledge. He was almost anti-melody though, so ranks at the bottom for me.)
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

LordThurisaz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:59 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:54 pm

I've always been bored listening to his lame drumming. He's never been impressive. He's never been all that "musical" to begin with.
I thought he was very good on the Badlands album and great on Revenge. Nothing against Eric Carr, but the drumming in KISS was taken to a much better level.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:10 pm Nothing against Eric Carr, but the drumming in KISS was taken to a much better level.
No.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

LordThurisaz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:34 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:10 pm Nothing against Eric Carr, but the drumming in KISS was taken to a much better level.
No.
I take it you are in the Eric Carr was one of the best drummers of the 80's camp?
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:52 pm
No.
I take it you are in the Eric Carr was one of the best drummers of the 80's camp?
He was the best drummer ever.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

LordThurisaz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:57 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:52 pm
No.
He was the best drummer ever.
Under The Rose
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Under The Rose »

AceyAintInCharge wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:55 pm
2. Tommy
3. Bruce
4. Vinnie
5. Mark
Wow. Just wow.
I’m not into metal shredders. Vinnie is fine when doing melodic solos. But most of the time his solos are awful. Bruce got pretty good around the time of Revenge. Tommy is decent when impersonating Ace. Mark had nothing going for him.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:00 pm Image
Hopefully you realize I'm just messing with you at this point.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Under The Rose wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:03 pm
2. Tommy
3. Bruce
4. Vinnie
5. Mark
Wow. Just wow.
I’m not into metal shredders. Vinnie is fine when doing melodic solos. But most of the time his solos are awful. Bruce got pretty good around the time of Revenge. Tommy is decent when impersonating Ace. Mark had nothing going for him.
I'm into metal shredders, and I don't think Vinnie stacks up against his peers too well. That said, I think the "blues" shredders and fusion type shredders were quite interesting.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

LordThurisaz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:07 pm
You never know on here. Some people believe he was FAR better than he actually was.
muddfoot
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by muddfoot »

Ace, because he’s the OG
Bruce
VV
Tommy
MSJ
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

Ace

Bruce

Vinnie
Mark
Tommy
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

Mark St John's playing on Animalize out weighs anything Tommy Thayer has done on KISS albums he played.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:16 pm
LordThurisaz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:07 pm
You never know on here. Some people believe he was FAR better than he actually was.
I think he was great. I'd rather listen to him than Singer. If I had to label someone as the "best of the 80s," I'd say that Vinny Appice, Mikkey Dee, Philthy Animal, and Dave Lombardo are easily top contenders.
KissRMe4life
Banned

Post by KissRMe4life »

2. Tommy
3. Bruce
4. Vinnie
5. Mark
Wow. Just wow.

This list totally craps all over LICK it Up and Creatures and basically said that Monster and Sonic Boom are better… which is absurd… those albums lack feeling and are complete digital fabrications anyone could’ve done using a laptop.
UltraCynic
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by UltraCynic »

1. Ace 1. Vinnie
3. Mark
4. Bruce
SpinningAcorn
Banned

Post by SpinningAcorn »

It's shocking that everyone isn't putting Ace first. If not for Ace, you wouldn't even be listening to this band.
Mikelangelo
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Mikelangelo »

1. Ace Frehley
2. Bruce Kulick
3. Vinnie Vincent
4. Mark St. John
5. Tommy Thayer

New here and I would rate Bob Kulick too, for his contributions, but... :lol:
shandi777