Alive Two

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
sf1996
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Alive Two

Post by sf1996 »

I walked in from my paper route and heard Kiss blaring from my room.
My Mother had not only bought the record player she bought Alive Two.
Still my favorite album to this day, and I'm in my fifty's
What are you memories of that album?
FlamingRuth
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Alive Two

Post by FlamingRuth »

That is one awesome mom.šŸ‘šŸ˜Ž

I remember seeing the Alive II commercial on tv at my Gram's house. My cousins, brother and I would drop whatever we were doing and start jumping around the living room, pretending to be Kiss.

Then in 1978, my immediate family travelled across the US and my Dad drove us into Mexico in his beat up red VW. What an adventure. My brother and I went crazy every time we stopped in a town and saw Alive II in a store window. I couldn't believe it when we went into a record store where no one spoke English, and heard Ladies Room over the speakers. I knew Kiss fans existed outside my little world, but it was mind blowing, as an 11 year old, to actually see how widespread their popularity was.
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

Old Andy bought Alive II on vinyl in October 1977---- from a Tracks records & tapes store.... His memories are still quite vivid about that actual day---- before he bought the album he had lunch at Morrisons Cafeteria {hamburger steak with brown gravyā€š mashed potatoesā€š green beans and a buttered roll} he says for dessert they had the best chocolate\pecan pieā€š and if was heated it was even better.... when he finished his meal he headed straight to Tracksā€š the workers there knew old Andy and they knew exactly what he was coming for----

He says he played it that whole crispy cool autumn evening....he still says Detroit Rock City from Alive II is probably his favourite version---- other standouts include Makinā€™ Love-Shock Me-God of Thunder and Shout it Out Loud....

He also says that he flip thru the booklet so many times that he had to re-staple it---- and he kept those Tattoos in a zip lock bag to preserve them.... he ordered Ace and Peterā€˜s posters from the order formā€š and still has them.... he still plays Alive II about once a weekā€š and still flips thru that booklet as if he was there at the LA forum or any other Alive II show in 1977\1978----

These were incredible times for old Andyā€š and he misses them veryā€š very much....
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

Andy Capp wrote: ā†‘Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:15 am
He also says that he flip thru the booklet so many times that he had to re-staple it---- and he kept those Tattoos in a zip lock bag to preserve them....
Old Andy has more self-restraint than I do, apparently.
I stuck those tattoos all over myself and went to school like that in 4th grade.

I did take very good care of the booklet and resisted the urge to hang the pictures all over my room with Fun-Tak, so that's good, I guess.
Dr Borgo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Dr Borgo »

My first KISS album. I actually bought two different copies because in 1980 they were heavily discounted, along with Double Platinum and the solo albums. I bought one copy to keep and the other copy to cut to pieces. šŸ˜³ I carried the individual shots from the front in my wallet and made a scrapbook with the rest of the cutouts. I was 12 years old šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
His Majesty
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by His Majesty »

The gatefold.

The fuckin' gatefold.

And the riff from Makin' Love
Much Too Soon
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Much Too Soon »

I was 17. Honestlyā€¦.disappointment. Where were the booming drums from Peter? The thunder bass from Gene? The crowd noise was like nails on a chalkboard.I thought my record was defective and took it back.
But I enjoyed what my friends enjoyed out of it. Never complained. And we listened to it all summer.
sugardaddy
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by sugardaddy »

My 7 year old memories are STILL epic!
SpaceAce98
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by SpaceAce98 »

Alive 2 and Double Platinum were my first two Kiss albums (bought em the same day). If anything stands out in particular from my initial memories, it will always be the opening crash of guitars on the riff for Detroit Rock City (that pick slide in particular) and then the long siren like note at the beginning of King Of The Night Time World. I've always loved the versions of I Stole Your Love and God of Thunder. Still two of the first tracks I go to when I'm putting together playlists or just need a killer song to play. Love ALIVE 2
rwgriffith

Post by rwgriffith »

I used to look at that gatefold and play the album so much as a kid. Plus, the booklet with all of those great pictures. Wonderful memories... šŸ˜Ž
gabbagabba
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by gabbagabba »

For me Alive II is pure magic.
I love everything about it.
kiss-1976
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kiss-1976 »

Played the hell out of it while analyzing the booklet.
I loved looking at all those pictures of the evolution of the costumes and makeup.
The best insert ever..
Revenge 92
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Revenge 92 »

I discovered the music of the band backwards in time. :)

IWMFLY, which was a great hit in the Netherlands, got my attention on Kiss, but it was Alive II that really made me a fan. Listened to the album many afternoons at a friend's house. Loved it! Kept on staring at the fantastic pictures on the cover.
Later on I heard Alive! and the studio albums. All great, but not as magic as Alive II was.
Mikel Black
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mikel Black »

Hotter Than Heck

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

I love Alive II & that packaging is especially perfect

It's odd that it didn't occur to anyone that Paul shouldn't be singing backup to his own lead vocal on a quote unquote live album

But I still love it!
Hi I'm Witz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Still the greatest product KISS ever produced. I remember it like was yesterday! I was with my Dad at Hills Department Store (Anybody remember those?) when I saw it on the shelf. I begged my Dad to buy it for me if I could skip my allowance for the next 3 weeks. It was worth it! I took it home, tore open the shrink wrap, threw on side 1 and proceeded to stare at that gatefold while I listened to my favorite band! Ahhh the memories!
scotty971
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scotty971 »

This was my first rock album. I was 7 years old and I vividly remember telling my Dad that I wanted a rock album. My Mom told my Dad, ā€œJoe whatever you do, donā€™t buy him a KISS albumā€.

He comes home with Alive II and I am loving it. My mother sees the pic of Gene with the blood and was so annoyed at my father and says ā€œJoe, I told you not to get him a KISS albumā€.

His replyā€¦. ā€œKaren, I didnā€™t get him a KISS album, I got him a KISS double albumā€.

šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

Thanks Dad!!!
StrangestWay
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by StrangestWay »

That's a huge one for me as well. It's wrapped up in my earliest memories of this band.

I first heard "Beth" early 1977, when it was blowing up. I loved it, because it appealed to my 7-year-old sensibilities. It was by this band called "Kiss". I then saw a picture of them in this school book club magazine called Supermag. I was convinced Ace was a girl.

Later that year, I'm 8 years old, I'm in school, and this third grader passes me by in the hall and he's carrying Alive II. He had the back cover turned outward, and I was mesmerized by the pictures, especially the one of Gene and all that sweat and dripping blood. I thought "that's the Beth band I saw in Supermag!"

Not long after that, a friend of mine bought the Destroyer album because it had "Beth" on it. It was the first time I'd heard their actual music, outside of "Beth." I was very surprised, but also HOOKED. And Alive II was the first Kiss album I ever bought (or convinced my parents to pay for), and it made a huge impression. The gatefold pictures, the booklet, the energy of the music, the drum solo in "God of Thunder", the allure of the studio tracks...it all coalesced into total OBSESSION.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

I remembering when I bought it when I was young I couldn't wait to hear the new songs King of the Night and Time World šŸ¤£ true story
Legsofsteel
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Legsofsteel »

My thoughts are that Alive II The Outtakes sounds 10 times better and that's my go to for the live experience from this era. I don't bother listening to the live stuff on Alive II. Don't really care for it at all. I also don't like the track order either. When it comes to Alive II, I just listen to the new studio tracks.
cowboytoast
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by cowboytoast »

I've never been big on live albums but indeed it was a great package - I was like our friend Andy above and wrapped those tattoos up and never used them - luckily for Christmas that year a relative gave me another copy (i DID use those tattoos) and the obligatory Elvis album since he died only a couple months before - unfortunately it was the soundtrack for that last TV special so it didn't get a lot of play - it was depressing that he croaked - that LP was a reminder of how depressing it was-

That period from when Alive II came out and the next year was an expensive time to be a fan that depended on saved lunch money and cutting grass to buy records - (2) Double LPs and 4 solo albums - it was a real kick in the gut when they ALL showed up in the bargain bins with the corners lopped off-
SpaceJase
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by SpaceJase »

My mom bought Alive II for me to play on my ā€œnewā€ cassette player (that someone gave to me used) when I was a kid in ā€˜79ā€¦but it was only ā€œvolume 1ā€ of the 2-cassette album.
I think someone mustā€™ve had a defective copy of the 2nd tape and the store had to bust up a set to do a replacement or something and then sold us the 1st cassette at a discount. It wasnā€™t until I was at a friendā€™s house looking through HIS older brotherā€™s albums that I found there was another half.
It was my 2nd KISS album (after Double Platinum on 8-track) and though itā€™s not the best sonically, it holds a special place for me.
bricodd2
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bricodd2 »

1977 my mom started dating some guy. He wanted to buy me one of those AFX race tracks at the department store to get brownie points with her. I said no thanks but there is something I want. Alive II!
Beers Are Calling
Banned

Post by Beers Are Calling »

His Majesty wrote: ā†‘Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:55 pm The gatefold.

The fuckin' gatefold.

Yes, and yes!

P.S. That's my fault. I noticed the grips were worn.
sneed78
Banned

Post by sneed78 »

Wore the tattoos to kindergarten (Tabernacle Christian School) in 1978.

My religious nut teacher (who removed her car radio for fear of being possessed) was not pleased, but couldnā€™t do holy shit about it.

To this day, Alive II always takes me back to that time...

rwgriffith

Post by rwgriffith »

I lasted like TWO days before covering myself in the bad ass tattoos.
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Reminds me of the summer of 1979.

"Dynasty" was the new album, but "ALIVE II" got heavy play on my stereo too.

Loved the gatefold, booklet, tattoos and even the order form. My favorite era of the band.
px74

Post by px74 »

Andy Capp wrote: ā†‘Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:15 am Old Andy bought Alive II on vinyl in October 1977---- from a Tracks records & tapes store.... His memories are still quite vivid about that actual day---- before he bought the album he had lunch at Morrisons Cafeteria {hamburger steak with brown gravyā€š mashed potatoesā€š green beans and a buttered roll} he says for dessert they had the best chocolate\pecan pieā€š and if was heated it was even better.... when he finished his meal he headed straight to Tracksā€š the workers there knew old Andy and they knew exactly what he was coming for----

He says he played it that whole crispy cool autumn evening....he still says Detroit Rock City from Alive II is probably his favourite version---- other standouts include Makinā€™ Love-Shock Me-God of Thunder and Shout it Out Loud....

He also says that he flip thru the booklet so many times that he had to re-staple it---- and he kept those Tattoos in a zip lock bag to preserve them.... he ordered Ace and Peterā€˜s posters from the order formā€š and still has them.... he still plays Alive II about once a weekā€š and still flips thru that booklet as if he was there at the LA forum or any other Alive II show in 1977\1978----

These were incredible times for old Andyā€š and he misses them veryā€š very much....
Was old Andy a ghost writer for CK Lendt's book?....šŸ˜ƒ
Tail of a hurricane
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

The best gate fold in history
ManOf1000Faces
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ManOf1000Faces »

Dr Borgo wrote: ā†‘Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:46 pm My first KISS album. I actually bought two different copies because in 1980 they were heavily discounted, along with Double Platinum and the solo albums. I bought one copy to keep and the other copy to cut to pieces. šŸ˜³ I carried the individual shots from the front in my wallet and made a scrapbook with the rest of the cutouts. I was 12 years old šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Same here on the discounts, except I never saw Alive II discounted. I still don't own a new copy of it, except for the Alive cd triple set. My first lp copy was free, unplayable and intentionally scratched up by somebody doing a number on that satanic music. I was glad to just own the cover art. Finally found a couple of used copies in the 90s.
Terry Zeppelin
Banned

Post by Terry Zeppelin »

This was KISS' tour de force when it comes to packaging. The only other product that comes close is The Beatles White Album. The White Album came with 2 lp's, 4 solo posters, and 1 GIANT poster that had the lyrics on the other side
alanrosembung
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

Concert for Bangladesh came with three LPs and a booklet.

Original 1970 Let It Be box set came with a 100 page full color perfect bound book.
Kissoff
Banned

Post by Kissoff »

My introduction to Kiss - 6th grade. All of it blew me away.
Kissoff
Banned

Post by Kissoff »

FlamingRuth wrote: ā†‘Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:00 am That is one awesome mom.šŸ‘šŸ˜Ž

I remember seeing the Alive II commercial on tv at my Gram's house. My cousins, brother and I would drop whatever we were doing and start jumping around the living room, pretending to be Kiss.

Then in 1978, my immediate family travelled across the US and my Dad drove us into Mexico in his beat up red VW. What an adventure. My brother and I went crazy every time we stopped in a town and saw Alive II in a store window. I couldn't believe it when we went into a record store where no one spoke English, and heard Ladies Room over the speakers. I knew Kiss fans existed outside my little world, but it was mind blowing, as an 11 year old, to actually see how widespread their popularity was.
Love this story.
steve

Post by steve »

I wish it had been closer to the setlists of the 77 and 78 tours, minus Hooligan (which shouldn't exist in any form) and all the songs repeated from Alive, plus Do You Love Me.

While 77/8 was a few years too early for the home video market, perhaps a companion TV special would have gone over better than Phantom Of The Park and kept the band's reputation intact for a little bit longer.

I had this cassette version for many years.

It rarely played properly and I was always afraid of it turning into spaghetti, so I eventually replaced it with this.

Soylent Gene

Post by Soylent Gene »

Opening that gatefold for the first time. Wow. Life changing.
Wiseacre

Post by Wiseacre »

I donā€™t believe a single person who claims that in 1977 they thought the ā€œfakeā€ crowd noise was obvious and annoying. No one ever thought or said that back then.

To me A1 & A2 are like Godfather I & II. The first is raw and consistent and perfect for what it isā€¦a classic, but the 2nd is broader with more depth and arguably better for it.

Alive! Is a fantastic rock and roll live album and basically renders the first three studio albums virtually unnecessary.

Alive! II is a production masterpiece. Everything about it is larger than life. The fact that it is part illusion is what is so great about it. The live stuff, the new tunes, the packaging is all perfection. Where Alive! Mainly breathed life and excitement into the older tunes, Alive! II brought quite new versions of KISS phase 2. Often very different versions than the studio recordings. Alive! II might just be my favorite KISS album of all. I actually love the sound of the album. It was my REAL introduction to the band and it was beyond magical back in 1977.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

His Majesty wrote: ā†‘Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:55 pm The gatefold.

The fuckin' gatefold.

To this day,I still get chills hearing the beginning of Makin' Love on A2....awesome!