PAUL STANLEY Says Current KISS Band Is 'Much More Consistent' Than Original Lineup

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: PAUL STANLEY Says Current KISS Band Is 'Much More Consistent' Than Original Lineup

Post by Tito »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:59 pm
Tito wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:56 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:52 pm
Tito wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:45 pm

Whoah, settle down... :roll:
Prove me wrong - his playing was top notch on the Rocket Ride tour
Oh come on. Better than ever?
Right up there imo. He was newly sober and had newfound energy during that time. It’s not like his playing was exactly “Van Halen” level in the 70’s.
I honestly thought his playing 2007-2015 or so was much better than during the reunion era
We're talking his best, not comparing to anyone else. That his peak was somewhere between 1976 and 1980, depending on one's taste, is hardly debatable. Better than the reunion era, sure. I'd recommend sampling some early '90s Trouble Walkin'/"Just 4 Fun" shows as well. Seems clear to me never reached that level again after rejoining KISS.
So Cruel
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: PAUL STANLEY Says Current KISS Band Is 'Much More Consistent' Than Original Lineup

Post by So Cruel »

ozweepay wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:34 pm It's hard for some of you to look at things objectively. I'm a huge Ace fan, he's the reason I started playing guitar. But Ace's skills are definitely waning as time passes on. And he was always a little sloppy to begin with, but that was the charm in his playing. That erratic, edge of your seat tension he had.
I'm not a Tommy fanboy, I can only express indifference to him, it is what it is. But Tommy is clearly a better technical player than Ace, especially at this stage of Ace's career. Recent live clips of Ace portray someone who's playing has vastly deteriorated from what it once was.
Your blind devotion to the original members has clouded your judgement.
The problem with Paul is he’s shitting on Ace’s and Peter’s playing while he hasn’t been able to sing in over a decade and now resorts to faking it. The guys a complete asshole at this point. There was absolutely no need to bash Ace or Peter.
Chaim Wigz

Post by Chaim Wigz »

joma5477 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:13 am It's hilarious that the guy that talks the most shit about everyone else's performance is the guy responsible for the band sounding the worst they ever have...between the unlistenable vocals and requiring the band to tune down. Karma. What I'd give to see the interviewer call him on it and then the resulting silence and fart smell face while he thinks up a basement living, loser comeback.
Hear hear! :cheers:

What really grinds my gears about music ‘journalists’ these days, is that not a single one of them has the balls to do just that. Not one. Instead, it’s the same old bullshit softball questions for the same old bullshit answers.

And on the small chance there’s a writer from Classic Rock magazine here, that’s the precise reason why I cancelled my subscription to your shitty publication. Journalism is dead.
AstroWarped

Post by AstroWarped »

Consistent like a cookie off a manufacturing plant's assembly line, that is just the same old repetitive thing vs back when they were spontaneous and taking risks to have the audience taste their new cookie recipes, twice a year even and it worked so much better.
Ratmir
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Ratmir »

If you listen to current versions pf Firehouse, GOT, etc. Tommy plays the solos wrong. Bends are not always on point, the accents are wrong. But yes, he’s more consistent than Ace
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

Ratmir wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:10 pm If you listen to current versions pf Firehouse, GOT, etc. Tommy plays the solos wrong. Bends are not always on point, the accents are wrong. But yes, he’s more consistent than Ace
Tommy's bends were always horrible. His finger vibrato was always too slow (and he does it way too much). His right hand (pick) technique is terrible, in any sort of faster run he tends to lose his time and is all over the place. He is just about serviceable but it's laughable if people think he's a great guitarist. It's just not the case.
aceeg
Banned

Post by aceeg »

"PAUL" "WE'RE ALWAYS IN LIPSYNC WITH EACH OTHER"
Kiss-Army-Sergeant

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

Wow, Paul took a shot at Ace? How shocking, said no one ever.

The more I hear from Paul's mouth, the more respect I lose for him. Seriously, Ace and Peter helped to put the band on the map. Paul needs to spend more time with Tommy in taking the high road when the topic of former band members comes up. Say what you want about Tommy, but he never says anything bad about his predecessors.
SpinningAcorn
Banned

Post by SpinningAcorn »

Lets put up those Tommy/Singer Kiss studio albums up against the originals.

Lets put Alive & Alive II up against TSkiss live.
jestor92

Post by jestor92 »

Hard to not be more consistent when you’re lip syncing.
missingdiver

Post by missingdiver »

Yeah the irony of Paul talking about being “consistant” is so darn ironic. Yeah lip syncing is really consistant Paul.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

Tito wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:44 pm It's not even about who's the better player, or indeed, the most consistent (yay). It's this guy's pathetic need to keep shitting on people when there is simply no need for it whatsoever.
This 1,000,000 times over.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ KIZZ-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

True.

But I prefer my commuter car consistent. & my rock n roll dirty & wooly. That’s jus me.
Kisscomplicated
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Kisscomplicated »

So Cruel wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:38 am Delusional. Absolutely delusional. Saw the current lineup once (2010) and it was by far the worst Kiss show I’ve seen (started in 1984).
My first show was in 1976 . I've seen every line up and tour since. I have to disagree with you. Here's the problem with calling Paul delusional: he's Paul Stanley , he's been onstage with them all. You have not. Case closed .
aceeg
Banned

Post by aceeg »

Paul can't get over that Sonic boom, and Monster sucked!

No comparison to original and 80s Kiss!
wjs296
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wjs296 »

Of course today's version is much more consistent, the tapes make sure of it!
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

You wanted the most consistent, you got the most consistent. The most consistent band in the world, KISS circa 2021!
Chaim Wigz

Post by Chaim Wigz »

Kisscomplicated wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:40 pm
So Cruel wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:38 am Delusional. Absolutely delusional. Saw the current lineup once (2010) and it was by far the worst Kiss show I’ve seen (started in 1984).
My first show was in 1976 . I've seen every line up and tour since. I have to disagree with you. Here's the problem with calling Paul delusional: he's Paul Stanley , he's been onstage with them all. You have not. Case closed .
Objection! Your honour, Paul Stanley is a delusional, spiteful, narcissistic basketcase and a compulsive liar. Kiss in 2021 SUX, and has done for at least the last decade and it’s mainly (ok, totally) down to him.
So Cruel

Post by So Cruel »

Kisscomplicated wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:40 pm
Delusional. The show I saw Paul croaked like a frog through. It was brutal. Paul will tell everyone who will listen how bad he thinks Ace and Peter are, but for over a decade he has been the biggest liability Kiss has seen by a wide margin. Case closed.
Kisscomplicated
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Yes it has been in decline. However I do not crucify him , nor bitch to no end about it. If you actually get out of the house and off the internet , at a show , in person , its not so bad . You get caught up in the show , rather than looking for mistakes on YouTube . Since you enjoy the word delusional so much , please include me in that, wont you ? Thank you so much for your keen insight! I've been a delusional fan for how many years ? I will throw all of that away on your word alone !
Kisscomplicated
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Oh , I meant to add , you have been to a show , I have been to 143 and counting. Rock On !
41Mets
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 41Mets »

Paul is talking about Tommy as a co-worker, how he can rely on him to get through the show every night and be very dependable as a bandmate. I think he holds Tommy in very high regard as a person and a professional. But he will always draw the ire of fans when he puts down his predecessor to get the point across. The two most important guys to ever be in the band besides Gene and Paul may have never been predictable or dependable, but Kiss has different goals nowadays, not to be exciting and creative or to go with the guys that made it possible, but to be a well-packaged 'best of" traveling show.
Goodwilltowardsall

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

more creative and/or more spirited would be better
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

41Mets wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:47 pm Paul is talking about Tommy as a co-worker, how he can rely on him to get through the show every night and be very dependable as a bandmate. I think he holds Tommy in very high regard as a person and a professional. But he will always draw the ire of fans when he puts down his predecessor to get the point across. The two most important guys to ever be in the band besides Gene and Paul may have never been predictable or dependable, but Kiss has different goals nowadays, not to be exciting and creative or to go with the guys that made it possible, but to be a well-packaged 'best of" traveling show.
Your analysis is akin to putting perfume on a pig. Sorry bro. No good spins can save Paul’s BS.
firekiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by firekiss »

Same old, same old from Paul. I stopped paying attention a long time ago. If someone else was in Tommy's spot he'd be talking them up instead.
41Mets
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 41Mets »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:54 pm
41Mets wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:47 pm Paul is talking about Tommy as a co-worker, how he can rely on him to get through the show every night and be very dependable as a bandmate. I think he holds Tommy in very high regard as a person and a professional. But he will always draw the ire of fans when he puts down his predecessor to get the point across. The two most important guys to ever be in the band besides Gene and Paul may have never been predictable or dependable, but Kiss has different goals nowadays, not to be exciting and creative or to go with the guys that made it possible, but to be a well-packaged 'best of" traveling show.
Your analysis is akin to putting perfume on a pig. Sorry bro. No good spins can save Paul’s BS.
I am calllng it like I see it, no spin. I do not endorse him putting down former bandmates.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

41Mets wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:33 pm
I am calllng it like I see it, no spin. I do not endorse him putting down former bandmates.
You went great lengths every which way to make excuses for him. Just calling it like I see it.
41Mets
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 41Mets »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:42 pm
You went great lengths every which way to make excuses for him. Just calling it like I see it.
No just making observations on his perspectives and how people react to it and what it has become. Saying they are not exciting or creative and it's a packaged show illustrates that the band is not what it used to be. The live show has become highly predictable. But that is what he wants now. We are long past the days of the band stirring the most possible excitement it seems.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

41Mets wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:00 pm

No just making observations on his perspectives and how people react to it and what it has become. Saying they are not exciting or creative and it's a packaged show illustrates that the band is not what it used to be. The live show has become highly predictable. But that is what he wants now. We are long past the days of the band stirring the most possible excitement it seems.
Lemme tell you something, Kiss shows have been predictable since 1974
41Mets
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 41Mets »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:03 pm
41Mets wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:00 pm

Lemme tell you something, Kiss shows have been predictable since 1974
No there was always new costumes staging new albums to work off etc. Set lists would change lineups would change make up on makeup off etc. The reunion tour was the first time they were back in make up and costumes,in 17 years. There was always something interesting very often when a new tour started.

They want Tommy to play a role that doesn't ask for much of anything new. They have been mostly a nostalgia act throughout his tenure. That's what they want. Frehley was there for the most important years of creativity and the reunion that revived the band. Tommy now is asked to keep things running after everything essential was done before he joined.
Mackemkiss

Post by Mackemkiss »

Damn! I was going to buy this as I enjoy Ace's guitar playing but now Paul has said that it's not very consistent I won't bother.
Much Too Soon

Post by Much Too Soon »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:41 pm Ace came back in 07 was playing better than ever.
Love Ace. But Ace also has a history of quitting the band…twice

So there’s that 🤷‍♂️
Much Too Soon

Post by Much Too Soon »

Ratmir wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:10 pm If you listen to current versions pf Firehouse, GOT, etc. Tommy plays the solos wrong. Bends are not always on point, the accents are wrong. But yes, he’s more consistent than Ace
The usual suspects lambast Tommy here for “copying Ace exactly”

The usual suspects lambast Tommy here for
“not copying Ace exactly”
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

Much Too Soon wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:33 am
TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:41 pm Ace came back in 07 was playing better than ever.

So there’s that 🤷‍♂️
Which is relevant to the quality of his guitar playing in 2007, how? :scratch:
alanrosembung
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

Wish Paul would quit the band. Once would be enough.
MrExcitement
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by MrExcitement »

Better to be Ace Frehley for one day than live a 1000 years as Tommy Thayer.
There’s nothing wrong with Tommy, he’s just about as rock n roll as a tweed blazer.
Consistent is what you call an employee who has nothing special to offer. Right up there with reliable, steady, plods on…
I think in the fullness of time we’ll find out why Paul never misses a chance to bash Ace and Peter, there’s more to this than we currently know.
Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

Much Too Soon wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:35 am

I’ve been a supporter of current lineup.
Still can’t change the fact that he’s playing many solos wrong.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

And the usual suspects always talk about the usual suspects. It seems you are yet to voice an opinion on the topic at hand, only commenting on others' opinions. There's some weird psychology involved in that.
lord71

Post by lord71 »

Doose wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:33 am PAUL STANLEY Says Current KISS Band Is 'Much More Consistent' Than Original Lineup: 'We're Always In Sync With Each Other'

image.png
Paul Stanley spoke to Rolling Stone Germany about KISS's new official live bootleg series "KISS - Off The Soundboard", which launched today (Friday, June 11) with "Tokyo 2001", recorded by the band at the Tokyo Dome in Tokyo, Japan on March 13, 2001. This marks the first in a series of upcoming live releases through UMe and is available as a 3-LP standard black vinyl set, a 2-CD set, digital downloads and available to stream. "Off The Soundboard: Tokyo 2001" — which features co-founders Stanley and Gene Simmons, with Ace Frehley on guitar and Eric Singer on drums — is also available as an exclusive 3-LP set pressed on crystal clear vinyl with bone swirl via the official KISS online store.

Asked how Frehley's guitar playing compares to that of current KISS guitarist Tommy Thayer, Paul said: "Tommy is very, very consistent. Tommy always hits the bull's eye, and there's never any question about that. And with Ace, I have to say, there was a certain amount of erratic playing. You didn't really know, night to night, what you were going to get, I have to say. So the band, as it is now, is much, much, much more consistent. We're always in sync with each other and always on point."

He continued: "I'm the first to say that the band wouldn't exist today without having had Ace and Peter [Criss, original KISS drummer] in the beginning. And I can also say the band wouldn't exist today if Ace and Peter were still there. So, things move on, and certainly Ace, his playing is part of the foundation of what we do."

Stanley also addressed the fact that "Tokyo 2001" was recorded during a challenging period for KISS after Criss decided to step away from the band over a contract dispute. (He rejoined the group in late 2002 and stayed for another year and a half before exiting for the final time.)

"Well, thankfully, Eric is a phenomenal drummer and had played with the band for decades, I think," Paul said. "So he was very ready. It wasn't a spur-of-the-moment happening that brought Eric into the band; we saw that coming. That was very obvious because of some of the tensions or lack of quality in Peter's playing at some point, frankly. So Eric was always ready to come in, and Ace loved playing with Eric. So, it was great. It was transitional; it was a time of transition. But we had fun, I have to say. I remember being in Australia, and we were all out to dinner, which was not anything that had happened for years before, and the four of us were out to dinner, and Ace was going, 'I love playing with Eric.' So, this board recording is really good — it's really, really good."

Article: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/paul- ... ach-other/

"Well, thankfully, Eric is a phenomenal drummer and had played with the band for decades"

Hmm.. Eric had played since 1991 up to 1995. with my math that's not even a half of a decade..revisionist kisstory
Much Too Soon

Post by Much Too Soon »

Tito wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:57 am

And the usual suspects always talk about the usual suspects. It seems you are yet to voice an opinion on the topic at hand, only commenting on others' opinions. There's some weird psychology involved in that.
Greetings usual suspect.

I’d prefer Ace but Tommy is very very good. I like him a lot.

How’s that?
Much Too Soon

Post by Much Too Soon »

Tito wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:43 am

So there’s that 🤷‍♂️
Ace is unreliable to a fault. He threatened to quit the band many times. And did so twice. And only has himself to blame.

And his play in 07 was …OK.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

Stanley should shut up, if he doesn't want his name dragged through the mud over the vocal issues.

The guy is a first class hypocrite.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Much Too Soon wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:56 am

So there’s that 🤷‍♂️
Ace is unreliable to a fault. He threatened to quit the band many times. And did so twice. And only has himself to blame.

Can we really blame someone in Ace’s position for leaving Kiss in 82?
Why stay in a band situation where you are miserable and the other members don’t listen to you? I’m surprised he stayed on for Dynasty, Unmasked & The Elder & didn’t bail in 79.

Likewise, if my memory serves me - Kiss did a Farewell tour in 2000, correct? So Ace is the bad guy for treating that tour as such?
You know who the bad guys are here.

Look at Peter, they bring him back in the band for the Aerosmith tour to fulfill a contract and then dump him again at the end of it.
Coventry1973

Post by Coventry1973 »

Sorry but I done thunk the makeup has been seeping into his brain....
Much Too Soon

Post by Much Too Soon »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:30 am

So there’s that 🤷‍♂️

Why stay in a band situation where you are miserable and the other members don’t listen to you? I’m surprised he stayed on for Dynasty, Unmasked & The Elder & didn’t bail in 79.

Likewise, if my memory serves me - Kiss did a Farewell tour in 2000, correct? So Ace is the bad guy for treating that tour as such?

Look at Peter, they bring him back in the band for the Aerosmith tour to fulfill a contract and then dump him again at the end of it.
I’m missing the part where Paul held a gun to Aces head to force those dumb decisions.

I’ll wait.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Much Too Soon wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:40 am

I’m missing the part where Paul held a gun to Aces head to force those dumb decisions.

I’ll wait.
Who said they were dumb decisions? Many think Kiss turned into a joke without Peter & Ace
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

Is the current lineup technically more consistent live? Sure.

Is the current lineup more creative than the original Kiss lineup? No.

It’s great to be a technical player, and I like the current lineup of Kiss. But the originals (1974-79) were more creative - writing and releasing new music at a rapid pace for years.

A guy once was giving me grief and saying that replacement members in The Eagles and other bands could play circles around Don Felder and other original members of other bands. I then said, “But those original members wrote and created more than their replacement members. Creating music that will last for decades is the true magic.” Lots of guitarists are technically better than Pete Townshend (although Pete is most impressive on the stage), but almost none of those better players could have written better Who records than Pete.
Much Too Soon

Post by Much Too Soon »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:50 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:40 am

I’ll wait.
Who said they were dumb decisions? Many think Kiss turned into a joke without Peter & Ace
He sold his makeup for pennies. He’s been trying to squeeze back up into the band…so yes…DUMB.
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

scottbassist wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:29 am Is the current lineup technically more consistent live? Sure.

It’s great to be a technical player, and I like the current lineup of Kiss. But the originals (1974-79) were more creative - writing and releasing new music at a rapid pace for years.

A guy once was giving me grief and saying that replacement members in The Eagles and other bands could play circles around Don Felder and other original members of other bands. I then said, “But those original members wrote and created more than their replacement members. Creating music that will last for decades is the true magic.” Lots of guitarists are technically better than Pete Townshend (although Pete is most impressive on the stage), but almost none of those better players could have written better Who records than Pete.
Some people don't understand the difference between creating and performing.

Sure some people can play Eddie Van Halen's stuff note for note and a guitar nerd might be impressed with that, but anyone can copy with enough practice - the real value is in having created it, which Ace did.

Tommy has created NOTHING of worth with KISS.
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:43 am
scottbassist wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:29 am Is the current lineup technically more consistent live? Sure.

Some people don't understand the difference between creating and performing.

Sure some people can play Eddie Van Halen's stuff note for note and a guitar nerd might be impressed with that, but anyone can copy with enough practice - the real value is in having created it, which Ace did.

Tommy has created NOTHING of worth with KISS.
I wasn’t trying to beat up on Tommy or Eric. I’m fine with them touring with Kiss. I just think Stanley should quit dogging A&P. I mean, what current wife in her right mind wants her husband to sit around and complain endlessly about his ex-wife?