Off The Soundboard: Tokyo 2001 thoughts.

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
BagBoy
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Off The Soundboard: Tokyo 2001 thoughts.

Post by BagBoy »

Well, today is the day! As KISS fans I call today a win. I think we all have our list of “I wish KISS would do…” and finally, they have listened to some of our pleas by releasing the first of a planned live series! And, from a line-up very few lucky fans got to experience.

What a great show! You can hear the energy that Eric brought to Gene, Paul, and Ace. They all sound great, and all the tracks have been awesome! It is KISS live, so little flubs and what not don’t bother me, it is what makes it authentic. Ace was close to the mic, Gene’s vocals were smooth at times, Paul was on fire, and Eric and his drumming, wow!

I’ve said before and I will again, if we wanna see more releases like this, we gotta show them we want them. Let your wallet do some talking. By all means Spotify and check it out, if you like it buy it!

Highlight tracks for me: Talk To Me, Firehouse, Shock Me, and Black Diamond

What are your thoughts?
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: Off The Soundboard: Tokyo 2001 thoughts.

Post by jannep17 »

I listened to most of it on my lunchwalk.
Nothing too exciting, I think.

I was kind of surprised that Paul's voice was that bad already in 2001. Not terrible, but showing clear signs of "wear and tear". Perhaps it was just a temporary thing then.
bricodd2
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bricodd2 »

I bought it from iTunes as soon as I woke up. I really enjoy it. Sounds pretty much as I thought and hoped it would. Look forward to many more. There is one thing I would change about it. I listen to Kiss on shuffle all day while I work. Paul’s raps are tagged on at the end of songs instead of the beginning. So on shuffle he introduces a song and it goes somewhere else. Just a small thing I know.

Thumbs up for me.
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

For the life of me I have no idea why an Amazon Prime order isn't set to arrive until Wednesday.
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

RisingForce wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:23 am For the life of me I have no idea why an Amazon Prime order isn't set to arrive until Wednesday.
I know. I bought it the day it was available for preorder, but now I'm reading reviews instead of listening to it myself.

I'll be going through other sources for the next one.
theincrediblehull
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by theincrediblehull »

I am really enjoying it!

I saw this line up in Sydney and initially, I was bummed that Peter was not there. However, it was a great concert! Loved it. This is a great souvenir of a line up that I wish lasted long enough to record new music.
BagBoy

Post by BagBoy »

theincrediblehull wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:01 am I am really enjoying it!

I saw this line up in Sydney and initially, I was bummed that Peter was not there. However, it was a great concert! Loved it. This is a great souvenir of a line up that I wish lasted long enough to record new music.
Would have loved some new music by this line up!!!
Pete2174
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Pete2174 »

RisingForce wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:23 am For the life of me I have no idea why an Amazon Prime order isn't set to arrive until Wednesday.
Same. Vinyl schedule to be delivered on Tuesday. Luckily it was on Apple Music this AM.
Pac-Man-Plus
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Pac-Man-Plus »

Question as I don't have mine yet: Does it have the 'Ace Frehley band' section? (i.e. the little medley they did before Gene's quip)
wjs296
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by wjs296 »

I am getting mine today from Amazon. That is frustrating for sure!!!
razor

Post by razor »

Pac-Man-Plus wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:34 am Question as I don't have mine yet: Does it have the 'Ace Frehley band' section? (i.e. the little medley they did before Gene's quip)
:D
BC Witch

Post by BC Witch »

razor wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:51 am
Pac-Man-Plus wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:34 am Question as I don't have mine yet: Does it have the 'Ace Frehley band' section? (i.e. the little medley they did before Gene's quip)
I love this. I still can't figure out if Ace's prime objective here was to piss off Paul and Gene but it sure was fun to watch!
Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

BC Witch wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:56 am
razor wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:51 am
I love this. I still can't figure out if Ace's prime objective here was to piss off Paul and Gene but it sure was fun to watch!

He only knows his own songs. And kept suggesting them. Paul and Gene only know their own songs. So they couldn’t find a lot of common songs for a jam
Spiritual_Chaos

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

The bad singing/screaming from Paul tires me out after like three songs. Was his voice completely worn out?
jmitzel

Post by jmitzel »

I really like it; powerful lineup.
KISSFACE
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSFACE »

I just want my CDs.
Strutterer
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Strutterer »

BagBoy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:02 am I’ve said before and I will again, if we wanna see more releases like this, we gotta show them we want them. Let your wallet do some talking. By all means Spotify and check it out, if you like it buy it!
Good point. I would love to see this series live up to its billing as sort of a mini-Alive or official bootleg set of albums.

I liked the IWMFLY cut, Heaven's on Fire less so, but I am ready to indulge in the full album today. Great way to start a Friday!
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:29 am The bad singing/screaming from Paul tires me out after like three songs. Was his voice completely worn out?
Yes - he kinda ruined those 2000-2001 shows with his incessant screeching & Preacher raps. I think he ruined his voice that tour
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

I ordered from Kissonline and haven’t even received a shipping confirmation. I guess I’ll be hearing it later than everyone else.
Rockker
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rockker »

Sounds great I’ve waited half my life for Kiss to put out a series like this. Not the show if pick first, but love it.
GACatmandu

Post by GACatmandu »

It's on spotify if anyone wants to listen on there.

My amazon order says June 28th, and ordered the first day of preorder.
My German CD has been shipped and is on its way.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

Well no vinyl here either and no word as to why that is either.

Played a few songs from Spotify, sounds good, but I really wanted to do that with the actual record.

VERY unhappy about it. Having had the same happen with the last Ace record, I decided no more preorders for me, but I guess I forgot about it.
pepperkitty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by pepperkitty »

PsychoElder wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:13 am I ordered from Kissonline and haven’t even received a shipping confirmation. I guess I’ll be hearing it later than everyone else.
I as well, no shipping confirmation as of yet.
Guess it’s Apple Music for today.
GrapeApe64
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by GrapeApe64 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:13 am
Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:29 am The bad singing/screaming from Paul tires me out after like three songs. Was his voice completely worn out?
Yes - he kinda ruined those 2000-2001 shows with his incessant screeching & Preacher raps. I think he ruined his voice that tour
I think he actually started straining and ruining his voice when he performed in "Phantom of The Opera". That is when the cracks first began to show. It really affected him when he tried to sing "properly".
Wild Animals
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wild Animals »

hopefully my Kissonline vinyl gets here soon!
deleteduser20211122
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by deleteduser20211122 »

They didn't do that at the Tokyo show. They mainly did it at the later shows in Australia.
Di3go
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Di3go »

Kiss jamming songs took place on some of the Australian tour dates from the Farewell Tour.
The particular jam of the video was on April 5th at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kiss/200 ... 584d4.html
pdf0427
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by pdf0427 »

I received mine from Amazon this morning without incident. Not sure why the Amazon experiences would vary so much. Strange.
black diamond
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by black diamond »

I ordered the colored vinyl from Kissonline. My expecations are set for an August delivery. Maybe I will check it out on Spotify during the weekend.
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

Why do you guys order everything? Don't you know that there are still some record stores where you can buy mint copies? Too lazy perhaps?
Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:08 am Why do you guys order everything? Don't you know that there are still some record stores where you can buy mint copies? Too lazy perhaps?
I don't have an interest in this specific product, but I'll speak to the general question. It has nothing to do with laziness. Often times, I can buy products cheaper online that I can in store. Not only that, if the price drops between the time I order it and the day the item is shipped, I get the item for the lower price. Then there are the impacts of the general lack of interest in physical media. Some people may not have record stores close to them. Further, even if there is a record store near you, it's not like the old days where you walk in to a store and there would be 100 copies of a new release. Stores are ordering physical media in much smaller quantities and there a fair chance the store might not even have the product in stock when you get there.
GACatmandu

Post by GACatmandu »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:08 am Why do you guys order everything? Don't you know that there are still some record stores where you can buy mint copies? Too lazy perhaps?
If it was that simple and these record stores you speak of were as cheap as Amazon and other online sites I would happily go get what I like there. But these stores are really expensive where I am and other than KISS most of what I listen to and collect isn't mainstream at all. Most of what I listen to is released by the given band and not on a record label so to speak or are imported from Germany and Japan.
BagBoy

Post by BagBoy »

Where I was in Idaho, the only way to get something was either online, or from the one record store that had a 40% mark up. I am all for supporting the Mom & Pop shops. But dropping $45USD for a 1 LP album when other places have it for $24-30USD.

CDs I don’t stand a chance unless it is country or rap.
Tallbear13

Post by Tallbear13 »

Love it sounds really good love that this lineup as brief as it was gets a release like this
mcald
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by mcald »

wjs296 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:38 am
I am getting mine today from Amazon. That is frustrating for sure!!!
I pre-ordered my copy from KISS' website and it hasn't shipped yet. So not sure when mine is going to arrive.
GACatmandu

Post by GACatmandu »

I just canceled my original order and placed another order it now says it will be here Sunday.
parasitestudios
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by parasitestudios »

It’s fine for what it is. Don’t think I’ll listen to it often.
Cujokidder
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Cujokidder »

Still waiting for an update from Kissonline here also-ordered from Canada on announcement day.
That Rock n Roll Over mask I added to the order may be pure nostalgia by the time it arrives
LoveGuns

Post by LoveGuns »

My vinyl will arrive tomorrow but I already have it a first but fast listen on Amazon. Other than the bass being a little thin, I really like it. Singers playing is a little simplified and he plays the songs very very differently than he does now, and I love Pauls voice here and the setlist. So, as a Kiss fan, Im extremely happy they did it and extremely happy its finally here
Deadpool
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Deadpool »

I'm interested in this.

In listening to it on Spotify I like the overall sound, the drum mix sounds way better than on any other recordings from that period, certainly. Very good actually.

However It's sounding to me like the guitars just aren't quite hot enough in the mix to really punch out. Kind of like they're blended at the same level as the bass track.

In fact, there are certain spots where I'm really used to hearing little licks from Ace (Firehouse for example) that are just inaudible in what I listened to. Now whether that's due to the mixing or just that he didn't hit them I can't really tell.

However, Ace's leads themselves seem almost subdued where they should come screaming out of the mix. It gets better / louder (obviously) when he does a dual melody lead with Paul (DRC / Psycho Circus), but on his own it just doesn't pop the way it should to my ears.

Though I do believe that this recording is truly from the soundboard of that evening, surely they (whoever "they" is) had access to the individual stems and flew them into Protools to re-mix it for this release. I seriously doubt that this is the original board mix feeding the mains from that night. Then again, due to that fact that the guitars seem light, maybe.

But it just seems to me that it would be prudent to take a couple of days at the "console" to get everything sounding perfect. It wouldn't require any overdubs or anything, just a good set of ears and a computer. I mean it's really, really close on this.

The rest of the mix sounds great however so I think that I'm gonna pop for the CD version. It's still the best audio that I've heard from the reunion/PC/Farewell period so far. Millennium is mixed well musically, but it's just cluttered with way too much fake crowd noise, and the tempos are a bit sludgy. I still like that one too though.
AJrox
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by AJrox »

I was hoping to go pick up a physical copy today but no stores near me are carrying it :(
kmints5723
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by kmints5723 »

AJrox wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:42 am I was hoping to go pick up a physical copy today but no stores near me are carrying it :(
Absolutely.
It’s hard to support local and physical products over digital when release dates are late.
jmitzel

Post by jmitzel »

I ordered from uDiscover and they just arrived!
pete1699
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by pete1699 »

It’s a good show. Maybe not an amazing show as far as the setlist, but great energy and enthusiasm. My favorite take away is that it’s a real show, warts and all and not doctored. I hope they do continue these releases and give us really cool stuff like a Creatures show, HITS show, Asylum show, other rare things!! I’m all in!
kiss-1976
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kiss-1976 »

pete1699 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:37 pm It’s a good show. Maybe not an amazing show as far as the setlist, but great energy and enthusiasm. My favorite take away is that it’s a real show, warts and all and not doctored. I hope they do continue these releases and give us really cool stuff like a Creatures show, HITS show, Asylum show, other rare things!! I’m all in!
As long as people buy this release and support it then there is no reason why we can't expect some quality gems from the vaults to be released. If it generates income then I can imagine all kinds of great releases happening.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

pete1699 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:37 pm Maybe not an amazing show as far as the setlist
It's KISS, there will be no such thing. It's got "Talk To Me", that alone almost makes it an amazing setlist.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Tito wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:54 pm
pete1699 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:37 pm Maybe not an amazing show as far as the setlist
It's KISS, there will be no such thing. It's got "Talk To Me", that alone almost makes it an amazing setlist.
I always thought Talk To Me was highly overrated, very boring
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:56 pm
It's a rare song in the setlist, whether one likes the song is beside the point.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Tito wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:57 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:56 pm
It's a rare song in the setlist, whether one likes the song is beside the point.
It is, I’ll give you that.
I’d always rather either hear shock me or 2,000 man though.
alanrosembung
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

No because that was Melbourne night three not Tokyo.