Off The Soundboard: Tokyo 2001 thoughts.

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Mike5477
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: Off The Soundboard: Tokyo 2001 thoughts.

Post by Mike5477 »

I'm just now listening to it....about halfway through. I think this is great!! It's funny how you can replace just one member of the band and suddenly it's a better band! Eric was born to be in KISS. This would have been a superb lineup to see live.
PsychoElder
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by PsychoElder »

Still waiting. The next Off The Soundboard will be released before I hear this one.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Mike5477 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:30 am Eric was born to be in KISS.
Singer's an asset to the band, no question. And for a couple of records, we really got to understand why. Which is why its such a shame, to me, that he's had to imitate Pete for all these years. Eric's capable of so much more -- let him do his thing! Allow the cream to rise ...
BarkBlue
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BarkBlue »

Not really understanding some of the flack coming the way of this one. Great performance, with a few little slips here and there that make it feel much more genuine.

Paul's vocals aren't what they were but neither are they what they've become but the most uncomfortable part for me are his stage raps. I'm not sure these days why I used to think he was the coolest frontman in rock. He sounds clumsy, borderline inappropriate and hugely wince inducing.

Other than that, I love it. Singer is in great form, driving the songs on and Ace has a charm the band could never replace on the mic, or guitar. Great line-up, great show, great CD.
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

So finally got around to listening to disc 1 today.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m actually having a hard time listening to Paul’s voice. I always loved it but listening back, it actually kind of annoyed my ears. Maybe it was the lack of a proper mix.

With that being said and regardless of the stale setlist, minus Talk To Me, I am glad to add it to the collection and hope for more. I will certainly continue to purchase and support.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

warmachine731 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:06 pm So finally got around to listening to disc 1 today.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m actually having a hard time listening to Paul’s voice. I always loved it but listening back, it actually kind of annoyed my ears. Maybe it was the lack of a proper mix.

With that being said and regardless of the stale setlist, minus Talk To Me, I am glad to add it to the collection and hope for more. I will certainly continue to purchase and support.
You’re correct - Paul become annoying with the reunion. Its like his head/ego exploded
vantheman77
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by vantheman77 »

This could easily have been Alive 2001. I thought the show sounded pretty well with Ace and Eric Singer. I hope this will be start of the Soundboard series.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

vantheman77 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:45 pm This could easily have been Alive 2001. I thought the show sounded pretty well with Ace and Eric Singer. I hope this will be start of the Soundboard series.
Potentially - but a live Kiss album with a muted Ace Frehley is crap at the end of the day. And Peter should be on here.
vantheman77
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by vantheman77 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:47 pm Potentially - but a live Kiss album with a muted Ace Frehley is crap at the end of the day. And Peter should be on here.
I agree Peter should be on it and he could have if he had came to terms with Paul and Gene concerning the moneys.
Wichita77
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Wichita77 »

warmachine731 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:06 pm So finally got around to listening to disc 1 today.

I actually enjoyed that aspect of it. He really seemed to be enjoying himself vocally and it was good hearing him hit the high notes. After thousands of times singing DRC, it was as fresh and energetic as ever.

My nit here is with Ace's guitar in the mix. I'm guessing they couldn't do much about it as they probably were stuck with what they had as source material, but damn, overall it was awesome.

I want more.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Wichita77 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:00 pm

I actually enjoyed that aspect of it. He really seemed to be enjoying himself vocally and it was good hearing him hit the high notes. After thousands of times singing DRC, it was as fresh and energetic as ever.

My nit here is with Ace's guitar in the mix. I'm guessing they couldn't do much about it as they probably were stuck with what they had as source material, but damn, overall it was awesome.

I want more.
Guaranteed Paul had him turned down
Wichita77

Post by Wichita77 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:06 pm
Wichita77 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:00 pm

I want more.
Guaranteed Paul had him turned down
I would be interested in testing your theory by asking some of our bootleg experts if Ace is down in the mix on other shows too.

Either way, despite that flaw, I have had this on the turntable non-stop since I got it on Monday. It's great having something new to listen to.
neiltracy00
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by neiltracy00 »

RisingForce wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:23 am For the life of me I have no idea why an Amazon Prime order isn't set to arrive until Wednesday.
i pre ordered in the uk months ago. I am one of the last to get it, all my friends have it from other stores in the uk. The place i have ordered from says its been delayed, bullshit, everyone else has theres. You are not alone !!
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

neiltracy00 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:13 am
RisingForce wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:23 am For the life of me I have no idea why an Amazon Prime order isn't set to arrive until Wednesday.
i pre ordered in the uk months ago. I am one of the last to get it, all my friends have it from other stores in the uk. The place i have ordered from says its been delayed, bullshit, everyone else has theres. You are not alone !!
I still don't have mine either. Some preorder.
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

FINALLY got mine in the mail today. Haven’t had a chance to spin it yet but I’m looking forward to it.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Regarding the Bone vinyl edition, on discogs it says the following:

“The 3rd vinyl (Sides E and F) is actually clear blue with "bone" white swirl”.

Can anyone confirm if that is correct. The pic from discogs is below.
Attachments
27111C84-55AA-45AC-A9B5-18B263F64604.jpeg
Rip & Destroy
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Rip & Destroy »

Still waiting on shipping confirmation from my Kissonline order. The last update I received was the following email from June 11:

‘Hello,

The KISS Off the Soundboard products were delayed in reaching the warehouse for fulfillment. We have begun shipping orders but expect majority of orders to be shipped the week of June 14th. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.’
John Connor
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by John Connor »

I still haven't gotten mine. I ordered from Wal-Mart a couple days before it was released, as I was ordering some other stuff from there as well. Got all my other stuff in a couple of days. Haven't received any communication at all about my order of Off The Soundboard.
Curveboy

Post by Curveboy »

One song in and it's a great...Paul is in good voice, Gene is pounding out the bass and Singer is fucking incredible.
Ace is a bit low in the mix but seems to be playing on point.
alanrosembung
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

Did you like it when Paul totally fucked up the intro to Deuce, a song he had been playing for 28 years at that point?
KissRMe4life
Banned

Post by KissRMe4life »

It’s a POS wrapped in a cover that is a POS… and the vinyl colors certainly don’t wow me by any means… not a fan of that lineup… but let me tell you what I really think. Lol
Curveboy

Post by Curveboy »

alanrosembung wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:22 am Did you like it when Paul totally fucked up the intro to Deuce, a song he had been playing for 28 years at that point?
It's a live show...a real live show. A few flubs don't bother me.
John Connor
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by John Connor »

Well, I had to cancel my order of the CD version from walmart.com. I ordered a couple days before release date, and it was scheduled to arrive on June 17. That day came and went, and I got nothing. That's fine, I figured I'd get a "delayed shipping" notice or something, and it would arrive a bit late. I finally checked on it yesterday, and its listed as "out of stock." Canceled that order, and went with Amazon - where they offered a free month of Prime with two day shipping. So now it's scheduled to arrive on June 24th.
Revenge 92
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Revenge 92 »

I was blown away by Love gun on this album. Not a very big fan of that song anymore, but this one sounded very good.
px74

Post by px74 »

A superb first up release from a line up I was privileged to witness live
gshaller
A really important Kiss fan!
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by gshaller »

Enjoying it thoroughly!
Grand Classic
Banned

Post by Grand Classic »

gshaller wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:52 am Enjoying it thoroughly!
Good to see you Gary. I hope you have been well.
AstroWarped

Post by AstroWarped »

Going forward they need to know when the shipment of products will arrive and be available in every country, then release it on the same day.

Thus, in this case "Off the Soundboard" would have been released on July 14th globally, the latest day of the current Tokyo disc, release in japan.
marcx
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by marcx »

SO is it safe to assume none of these releases in the series will have Peter?
Den Dennis

Post by Den Dennis »

Had this playing in the car, my God Paul's between song banter is excruciating. And to make it worse most of it is at the start of the tracks so you can't skip to the song.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:00 pm
Tito wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:57 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:56 pm
Tito wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:54 pm

It's KISS, there will be no such thing. It's got "Talk To Me", that alone almost makes it an amazing setlist.
I always thought Talk To Me was highly overrated, very boring
It's a rare song in the setlist, whether one likes the song is beside the point.
It is, I’ll give you that.
I’d always rather either hear shock me or 2,000 man though.
Before we totally forget: Talk to Me is Ace's third best Kiss song after Rip It Out and Speedin' Back to My Baby.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

gene therapist wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:56 pm

It's a rare song in the setlist, whether one likes the song is beside the point.
Before we totally forget: Talk to Me is Ace's third best Kiss song after Rip It Out and Speedin' Back to My Baby.
Every song on Ace’s 78 lp & Dynasty is better than talk to me.
As well as Rocket Ride
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

gene therapist wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:56 pm

The only place it ranks as Ace's third best song is on Unmasked.

I sampled a few tracks, and was not impressed. Sounds better than the aborted Alive IV, but that's not saying much.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Den Dennis wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:32 pm Had this playing in the car, my God Paul's between song banter is excruciating. And to make it worse most of it is at the start of the tracks so you can't skip to the song.
This is the reason I can’t listen to or watch any of those Farewell shows - Paul was just brutal.
Best frontman ever my ass

And he had the nerve to criticize Peter on that tour. Delusional.
AxlisKing
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AxlisKing »

I waited a bit and got my vinyl last weekend. I finally spun it last night. First, my third record isn't as blue as the one pictured on Discogs, but it does have a faint blue shade to it and isn't as clear as the first two. It's a good show, and Eric does bring more ability than Peter, but I do miss Peter singing Black Diamond. Prior comments are correct, Ace's guitar is buried more than it should be. I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose, but it's ridiculous that Gene's bass is almost more prevalent than Ace's guitar during the Duece solo. Everything else was as expected from that era. Now, the packaging is ridiculous. I understand they wanted to cut back and make it look like bootleg. Someone mentioned that Pearl Jam did something similar. They indeed did when they released their entire 2000 and 2003 tours on cd. They were in gatefold cardboard sleeves. However, those are cd's. These days, PJ releases one show a year on average on cd, download and vinyl for their 'Vault' series. The cd's are still in cardboard sleeves, but the vinyl is in a hard cover book with thick sleeves with photos and show info on them. At first, I could barely slide the records back in this package because it's just a thin, folded cardboard box and they were hitting the folded part on the side. The records are nice, heavy 180g vinyl, and they put them in the cheapest paper sleeves they could find. At least put then in lined paper sleeves. Pearl Jam's sets are heavy duty, hard bound sets and cost the same as what this one did. I'm not a huge PJ fan anymore,, I'm just comparing similar sets and the way they're released. I hope they continue releasing these things, but they have to do a better job with the packaging.
ChiptTooth67
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ChiptTooth67 »

I’m enjoying the album, with one exception. Paul’s yapping between songs is unlistenable, to these ears. Awful.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

ChiptTooth67 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:40 pm I’m enjoying the album, with one exception. Paul’s yapping between songs is unlistenable, to these ears. Awful.
I can't help, but think of Dee Dee Ramone cutting off Joey whenever he'd try to talk between songs. "ONE TWO THREE FOUR!" Followed by a pile driving punk riff for the next 90 seconds to two and a half minutes.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

ChiptTooth67 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:40 pm I’m enjoying the album, with one exception. Paul’s yapping between songs is unlistenable, to these ears. Awful.
Yep - blew his voice out for his own ego & vanity. While at the same time hurting the listening experience for the audience. He likes to talk smack about the Farewell tour in his book - blaming it on Ace & Peter, but the worst parts of the show were his raps - IN BETWEEN EVERY DAMN SONG :D
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

Still no sign of record. Preordered May 1st, it keeps moving ahead, now says July 16th. Asked for money back today, enough is enough. I don't even want this thing this bad. Note to self: no more preordering KISS shit, even from trusted vendors.
AstroWarped

Post by AstroWarped »

Tito wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:22 am Still no sign of record. Preordered May 1st, it keeps moving ahead, now says July 16th. Asked for money back today, enough is enough. I don't even want this thing this bad. Note to self: no more preordering KISS shit, even from trusted vendors.
Pre-Ordering these days doesn't even guarantee you to the product. I had ordered the Gamera set with the two exclusive books and both Amazon and DeepDiscount cancelled the order due to lack of stock!
pete1699
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by pete1699 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:48 pm
Yep - blew his voice out for his own ego & vanity. While at the same time hurting the listening experience for the audience. He likes to talk smack about the Farewell tour in his book - blaming it on Ace & Peter, but the worst parts of the show were his raps - IN BETWEEN EVERY DAMN SONG :D

I completely agree. I happened to listen to Sydney 1980 just before I listened to Off the Soundboard - and man all Paul has to do is speak between songs like he did around 1980. Why he needs to do that scream sing songy thing between every song il never know. And it definitely takes away from the performance and listening experience to have to constantly hear that.
TwistedTaste
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

pete1699 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:35 am

I completely agree. I happened to listen to Sydney 1980 just before I listened to Off the Soundboard - and man all Paul has to do is speak between songs like he did around 1980. Why he needs to do that scream sing songy thing between every song il never know. And it definitely takes away from the performance and listening experience to have to constantly hear that.
Paul peaked in 76 with the perfect raps on Alive! He was never better than there as the ringleader. After that it got more and more corny each tour.
pepperkitty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by pepperkitty »

AstroWarped wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:34 am
Tito wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:22 am Still no sign of record. Preordered May 1st, it keeps moving ahead, now says July 16th. Asked for money back today, enough is enough. I don't even want this thing this bad. Note to self: no more preordering KISS shit, even from trusted vendors.
Pre-Ordering these days doesn't even guarantee you to the product. I had ordered the Gamera set with the two exclusive books and both Amazon and DeepDiscount cancelled the order due to lack of stock!
Gamera “the turtle” movies?
AstroWarped

Post by AstroWarped »

pete1699 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:35 am

Paul's yapping encourages you to make the beer or bathroom run, before the next tune kicks in! :shock: :roll: :lol:
AstroWarped

Post by AstroWarped »

pepperkitty wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:26 am
Yes.
pepperkitty
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by pepperkitty »

AstroWarped wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:20 pm
pepperkitty wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:26 am
Yes.
Rite on. I been trying to get the 2020 Arrow release as well.
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

I am not a fan normally of KISS live albums, especially ALIVE 2 & 3 ,but this Off The Soundboard release was a fantastic listen, but man Pauls talking and howling, OMG ...horrendous.
Deadpool
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Deadpool »

Does anyone else think that the minimalist plain-wrap packaging is way cool?

It kind of makes a statement of "Take away all of the colorful photos, pyro shots and imagery, and ultimately the music still holds up".

I like it. It's bold. For a band that's always been SO concerned about image and how they appear, it's a gutsy move I think. It shows some backbone and confidence in the songs themselves. Something that they haven't really displayed much faith in, as if at some point they ultimately started believing what the critics were saying, so they began really selling everything on the imagery.

This packaging isn't afraid to say, just turn off the lights, close your eyes and listen.
JupiterJones
Banned

Post by JupiterJones »

Ha. Gene and Paul had approximately zero to do with the artwork.

And it’s a ripoff of this.

AstroWarped

Post by AstroWarped »

JupiterJones wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:14 pm Ha. Gene and Paul had approximately zero to do with the artwork.

And it’s a ripoff of this.

At least The Who improved upon it!